Smallville Smallville Underappreciated

I love this thread!

Thanks, I absolutely love this show. I don't think it gets anywhere near the credit it deserves. It's my favourite TV show of all-time.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I'm literally new to the Superman hype.
Ijhaven't read any of the Superman comic books, and Just finished watching the whole smallville series.

I just have one thing in my mind right now that keeps on bothering me.

In the movie Superman returns, Lois doesn't know Clark Kent is Superman, while in Smallville, she knows him and even helped him find disguise before he wore the superman suit.

Somebody help me out here?

Thank you :)

Hello Everyone,

I'm literally new to the Superman hype.
Ijhaven't read any of the Superman comic books, and Just finished watching the whole smallville series.

I just have one thing in my mind right now that keeps on bothering me.

In the movie Superman returns, Lois doesn't know Clark Kent is Superman, while in Smallville, she knows him and even helped him find disguise before he wore the superman suit.

Somebody help me out here?

Thank you :)
Hello holaelaina, welcome to the HYPE.

To answer your question.....in most of the run of SUPERMAN comics since he was introduced in 1938, and in all previous live action productions of the SUPERMAN story in movies and TV, Lois Lane did not know that SUPERMAN was also Clark Kent. The SMALLVILLE TV series was an "alternate" take on the SUPERMAN mythos. Many of the things they had happen to Clark, and many of the people and villains he interacted with in the show were not the versions of events and people that he knew from the comics or previous shows. The movie SUPERMAN RETURNS was a sequel to the Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN movies from the 70's and 80's where Lois did not know his true identity.

I hope this helps you.

Hi C Lee,

Thank you - now I understand. lol
I still couldn't get over Smallville :)

I'm thinking of watching Arrow or Supergirl next, is there something you can reccomend?
I'll be the annoying member here who asks loads of questions. lol

Cheers.

I had been wanting to get that Complete Series collection for some time. but at $250, it was always a no go.

well, I recently found it on sale at a local store, and needless to say, I pounced.

I never watched all the Smallville episodes. I remember watching some of the earlier seasons as well as some of the later ones but never the full seasons. And there's a huge chunk in the middle that I never saw.

Just finished Season 1 and am starting Season 2. I know the show isn't perfect and stuff gets more "complicated" as the series goes on, but so far it's a great reminder of why I love the character Superman and why I'm always proud of his Kansas "roots." :)

Indeed, imo, it is his Kansas upbringing by the Kents that make Superman the hero he is - his morals, values, and sense of right and wrong instilled by the Kents, and not his powers.

I had been wanting to get that Complete Series collection for some time. but at $250, it was always a no go.

well, I recently found it on sale at a local store, and needless to say, I pounced.

I never watched all the Smallville episodes. I remember watching some of the earlier seasons as well as some of the later ones but never the full seasons. And there's a huge chunk in the middle that I never saw.

Just finished Season 1 and am starting Season 2. I know the show isn't perfect and stuff gets more "complicated" as the series goes on, but so far it's a great reminder of why I love the character Superman and why I'm always proud of his Kansas "roots." :)

Indeed, imo, it is his Kansas upbringing by the Kents that make Superman the hero he is - his morals, values, and sense of right and wrong instilled by the Kents, and not his powers.

:up:

Did you get the set with the bonus disc? We didn't get that disc in the UK :csad:

I bought all the seasons as they were released....there wasn't any extra discs with them. Is this something new they are offering?

I bought all the seasons as they were released....there wasn't any extra discs with them. Is this something new they are offering?

When they packaged them all together for the US release there was a bonus disc. It has a an extended retrospective about the entire series. I think that's why the US set is in the card board book format where the discs slip into the slots.

US Set

81MVACg%2BCiL._SL1500_.jpg

In the UK we didn't get that though, we just got the individual seasons boxed up in slimmer cases with the same box art as the US version.

UK Set

81x%2BxvhlEdL._SL1495_.jpg

^^ I got that US set above.

haven't looked through all the discs, though.

When they packaged them all together for the US release there was a bonus disc. It has a an extended retrospective about the entire series. I think that's why the US set is in the card board book format where the discs slip into the slots.

Oh, OK.....like I said, I had bought them as thy came out (my cable system didn't start airing them until the 4th season) so I had no reason to buy the complete set (even though it does look nice).

^^ I got that US set above.

haven't looked through all the discs, though.

I don't know why they didn't just release the sane set in the UK too. It's a shame cause I want that retrospective on the final disc. There is a shorter version of it on the Seadon 10 disc which I think is about 20-30 mins but on the extra disc it's a 90 minute retrospective.

Oh, OK.....like I said, I had bought them as thy came out (my cable system didn't start airing them until the 4th season) so I had no reason to buy the complete set (even though it does look nice).

I couldnt justify forking out for the US import no matter how much I wanted that bonus disc so I waited for the UK version to go down in price. I did buy the individual seasons too as they came out but I sold them when the UK box set became cheaper.

I don't know why they didn't just release the sane set in the UK too. It's a shame cause I want that retrospective on the final disc. There is a shorter version of it on the Seadon 10 disc which I think is about 20-30 mins but on the extra disc it's a 90 minute retrospective.

I couldnt justify forking out for the US import no matter how much I wanted that bonus disc so I waited for the UK version to go down in price. I did buy the individual seasons too as they came out but I sold them when the UK box set became cheaper.

ah, yeah. they should have at least included the bonus retro disc in the UK set, too.

that's a shame. :(

anyways, I know the show gets some flak, but it's nice to see fellow Smallville fans here on the Hype. :woot:

and speaking of Smallville, if you enjoy Smallville and love Supergirl, I recommend you read the Supergirl Being Super mini-series.

it has nothing to do with Smallville continuity, so don't go in expecting that, but it is its own storyline and continuity. A 4 part miniseries, that is basically Smallville meets Supergirl - young Kara Danvers growing up in small, farming town Midvale, which is very Smallville like and could very well be located in Kansas, too ( they kind of left it vague though dropped some potential clues ).

As a Smallville and Supergirl fan, I really enjoyed the series. And in many respects, I now kind of wish the Supergirl tv show followed this storyline instead. Though, I suppose then it would have been compared too heavily to the Smallville show.

but anyways, it's a great read if you're a Super family fan, and the last few pages of Book 4 will make you go :woot:.

There was also A Smallville Season 11 comic book series. It was written by Bryan Q Miller. He wrote a few episodes of Smallville during the last few seasons. I always liked his dialogue and felt he wrote excellent Lois and Clark banter.

^^ yeah.

once I finish the show, I'll have to check out that comic series.

anyways, making my way through Season 2. and ***** Lana is already starting to get on my nerves......lol.

By the third season you'll want Lana dead.

By the third season you'll want Lana dead.

^ somehow I can't imagine her getting worse, but thanks for the heads up. :o

I just take comfort and solace with the knowledge that Lana is not THE ONE.

^ somehow I can't imagine her getting worse, but thanks for the heads up. :o

I just take comfort and solace with the knowledge that Lana is not THE ONE.

I never had a issue with lana in till like season 6/7 but that was just because I thought it was messed up she ever got with lex and also the show became more like a shoupoper those seasons before the show got better again in season like 8/9. Iris on flash is much much worse.

She was annoying from about S3 for me.

I started having a problem with Lana from S3 on too. In fact, I started having a problem with the whole show from season 3-season 7. That's when I felt the show lost it's way and then started to make up a comeback in season 8-10.

I started having a problem with Lana from S3 on too. In fact, I started having a problem with the whole show from season 3-season 7. That's when I felt the show lost it's way and then started to make up a comeback in season 8-10.

While I agree with that during that period there was still some brilliant stuff and IMO the Season Four finale Commencement is still the standout episode of the entire series run,

Yeah. The season 4 finale was very good. It even included a tease for Batman Begins at the time.

Yeah. The season 4 finale was very good. It even included a tease for Batman Begins at the time.

Yeah I remember we got that kick ass poster that had both Clark and Batman on.

cAu9ei.jpg

Last edited:

Have to disagree season 3 is the shows best season and didn't fell like it really started going down in till season 6.

Season 3 started strong with episodes Exile and Phoenix. It completed the story arc of from the final two episodes of season 2. There was also a strong episode involving Lex during the season otherwise most episodes bored me. Clark and Lana's story was already played out. The Lana and Adam story never interested me. I liked Lionel but felt they started to overly rely on him starting that season. The relationship with Clark and his parents wasn't as effective. The last couple of episodes were dull and ended the season with little momentum including what I thought was one of the weakest season finales.

It's not necessarily that the season is poor but its when the show lost its charm for me and I didn't feel it got it back to much later.

I think I'm almost done with S2.

The ep when Christopher Reeve debuted as Dr. Swann brought a tear to my eye ( plus the classic Superman theme motif playing in the background ). IDK....it just felt like a true passing of the torch from one Superman to the next.

And I confess that I hardly remember any of these episodes, just bits and pieces. so, this is almost like watching the whole series from scratch for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"