Smallville Underappreciated

Discussion in 'Smallville' started by BH/HHH, May 21, 2015.

1. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

The Chris Reeve episode was terrific. Both him and the way they used a variation of the John Williams music seamlessly.

2. X Knight Hope

yeah. and it also ties nicely into using the Williams theme at the very end in the series finale.

3. BH/HHH You Are My World

A wonderful episode, one of Smallville's best and what's amazing about it is there's no villain in the episode.

4. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

I watched the series as it came out on DVD....I actually have never went back and watched them....as anyone who has seen any of my posts on how many movies and TV shows I watch would know, I don't have a lot of time to re-watch things....but my wife and I were discussing it the other day, and we have decided to start slowly re-watching them again....we have watched the first disc of season one now, and considering that the DVDs came out around 2002....I haven't seen them for 15 years.....there's a lot I had forgot in them.

I think it will take a long time to get the series watched....my wife can't marathon stuff like I can, and we want to watch them together.

5. BH/HHH You Are My World

My wife suggested watching it with me but I know what she's like she'll get fed up after a few episodes. Then out comes the phone, then I get asked questions when she doesn't have a clue what's going on :funny:

I've been rewatching it slowly, binging episode then not watching for a while.

6. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

You're right. There is no villain and yet it was so compelling. I had goosebumps at certain moments.

7. BH/HHH You Are My World

Totally, it's one of those stand out TV episodes of a series that was something more. It was a special episode with some very special moments.

8. X Knight Hope

Season 2 done!! now starting Season 3.

things are starting to get "interesting" to say the least.

also, I know that I've harped on Lana for being an annoying b****. And I don't know yet how she'll be like for the rest of Season 3.

however, after finishing S2, I am a bit more sympathetic to her in the sense that I blame the situation partly on Clark. It's high time for Clark to tell both Lana and Chloe the truth about his secret. It's getting to the point where I'm yelling at the screen "For ***** sake Clark, just tell them the truth!!"

#83 X Knight, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Spidey17 likes this.
  9. BH/HHH You Are My World

Your sympathy will disappear believe me. She gets so much worse, she very much adopts the "I can have secrets but you can't Clark" schtick.

10. X Knight Hope

:csad:

does that start in Season 3?

also, when is Lois introduced, Season 4?

11. BH/HHH You Are My World

I think so yeah, she gets a bit *****ier.

That's right yeah, she arrived in the 1st episode of S4 and that one is a doozy. Season 4 is a bit of a mixed bag but it's git some great episodes in. Onyx is one to watch and the season 4 finale 'Commencement' is probably the single best episode of Smallville ever IMO.

12. X Knight Hope

thanks.

I will keep all that in mind.

13. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

Is it season 4 or 5 where it starts out turning the sex-o-meter up to 10 and then about half way through the season (after getting the feedback about that) they turn it back down to the previous levels?

14. BH/HHH You Are My World

I can't remember probably. It's funny cause S4 is when Smallville starts to get rocky for a few seasons yet some of the best episodes are in S4-7. I think you're right actually cause S4 has the witches episode, the football one with the cheerleaders who are drugging the men and even the one where Clark goes to visit the Uni and he gets seduced by those two cheerleaders :funny:

15. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

I feel like the show didn't know what it wanted to do with itself during those middle seasons. It no longer revolved around Clark as a young man in Smallville coming to grips with his powers and growing up. But he couldn't become Superman yet. So it dragged.

The show got a second wind when it basically became Metropolis and Lois and Clark from S8 on.

16. X Knight Hope

I always felt Smallville dragged on for about 2 or 3 seasons too long, and as such the show kind of went off course once it deviated from the original premise and cast of characters.

Of course, as I watch through the whole series, I will determine for myself more definitively where/when I felt that deviation happened.

But it feels like if they had condensed story into, say, 6-8 seasons max, they could have woven a more tightly knit story for the latter half of the series.

Say Season 8 was the final season. So Lois is introduced in S4, and that marks the halfway point and transition point to focus more on Metropolis than Smallville, as Lois replaces Lana as the female lead.

17. BH/HHH You Are My World

Yes definitely, also it went really comic booky too.. Season 9 is still my favourite season and I think Callum Blue's Zod was the best season arching villain of the entire series.

I think you could have done it in 5 seasons tbh. But you'd have to have it planned out quite well and know what points you need to hit by when.

I've had this idea of my own version of Smallville (or at least a prequel to him becoming Superman). In terms of live interests, the first two seasons would feature Lana Lang. Seasons 3-4 would feature Lori Lemaris and Season 5 would introduce Lois Lane. I'd also have Lana return in Season 5. Lois would be like she is in Man of Steel trying to find the saviour. She would find out his secret and the two would fall for each other.

Lex Luthor would appear in the first two seasons and his arc would be similar to how it is in Superman Birthright. With Lex leaving Smallville the way he did in the book and he would return in the S5 finale.

My overall idea ends with season 5s villain been the Eradicator. It would be in the final double episode that Clark would become Superman and introduce himself to the world by defeating the Eradicator and saving the world.

#92 BH/HHH, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  18. spiderman2 Registered

Best to worst seasons I think I would have to go like this

1. 3
    2. 2
    3. 5
    4. 9
    5. 1
    6. 8
    7. 4
    8. 6
    9. 7
    10. 10

Season 3 was just a great season if I did a top 10 smallville episodes probly like 5 of the top 10 would be just from this season. 2 is a close 2nd. Season 6 is when I felt like the shown started to get a lot worse to much like a soap and hated hated the whole lana being with lex thing. Season 7 was like even more like a soap and I wonder how much the writers strike affected things that season has it had 2 less episodes then normal has a result. Season 8 I thought the show started to get better again. Season 9 I thought the whole zod thing was done really well. Season 10 it felt like they had zero ideas left and it felt like about 18 of the episodes that season were just filter episodes lol.

19. BH/HHH You Are My World

I like Season 3 but it was always the I've I didn't understand why people gave it so much praise. Even back in the day I didn't think it was as good as Season 2. I'm not sure his if rank them all but Season 9 is my absolute favourite with Season 2 after. While I can agree on the whole that Season 10 was disapointing it was better than 6 and especially 7 for me.

The thing about Season 10 though is Lazarus, Honecoming (which is actually better than the finale), Luthor, Kent, Booster and Finale P2 are all superb episodes.

#94 BH/HHH, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  20. X Knight Hope

interesting ideas.

but I think 5 seasons would be too short.

I think at minimum, 6 seasons with 8 being the max.

21. X Knight Hope

so I watched S3 ep Relic last night.

so far, that was my favorite ep. I liked how the fates of the El, Kent, Lang, and Luthor families were intertwined by fate.

I was curious about one thing, though. When Jor-El was on Earth, was he married to Lara at the time?

22. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

I vaguely remember the episode but not enough to answer your question. Sorry.

I find Season 3 boring from the midpoint onward.

I find Season 9 one of the best because of Zod's story arc. Felt it was one of the most consistent seasons.

I'll always have a soft spot for the first 2 seasons, even the freak of the week stuff in season one. During those seasons I found Clark and his supporting characters most likeable. I also thought Clark and Lex's friendship was most effective during those first 2 seasons.

#97 STARMAN, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  23. X Knight Hope

^ ah, that's ok.

I just googled the Smallville wiki and it looks like Jor-El's time on Earth was before he met and married Lara back on Krypton.

24. BH/HHH You Are My World

That the one with the dagger?

No, he wasn't married to her at that point.

Agreed :up:

25. X Knight Hope

dagger?? no, I don't think there was a dagger.

there was a Kryptonian "8" medallion and when Clark touched it, he started sharing memories of his dad when Jor-El was in Smallville in 1961 and had a brief but ill fated romance with Louise ( who looked like Lana ).