Smartest man alive - the Reed Richards/Mr Fantastic casting and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Fantastic Four' started by Silvermoth, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

hot take but i think Adam Driver would make an excellent choice as Victor Von Doom. Unless there is an actor of Romani descent that could act better than him lol

2. Fluedd Registered

Nope, can't see it. Driver as Doom maybe, but that might be too obvious. He could be the Wizard, but I doubt we see that particular villain. Puppet Master?

Stark Bauer and Dark Raven like this.
  3. Da-Scribe he/him

I don’t think I’ve ever seen fans as particular about casting as I have for Reed. What is it about him that’s so specific?

MadVillainy likes this.
  4. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

I feel like people go to the one extreme end of the spectrum to the other, in terms of either type casting him as a "Nerd" or as the traditional "Leading Man Hero" Type

tho, there are examples of him being portrayed both ways in the comics of the years (depending on the writers an/or artists of the time) the key is to find a balance between to 2

5. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I think that if the casting or portrayal of Reed is wrong, the entire movie will be a train wreck. I suppose that could be said for any of the characters, but I think Reed is going to be the hardest one to nail down correctly. He's a much more nuanced character. I think the first Story movie in particular, got Ben and Johnny pretty much right, but they aren't as difficult to portray.

6. NotNickFury Registered

It helped that Michael Chiklis and Chris Evans had good chemistry. Honestly, with a better script, Ioan Gruffudd could've been a better Reed Richards than what we got.

InCali likes this.
  7. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

No question about it on both counts. Both did a good job with the characters. I think Chris in particular did, but he also had the character with the best lines. I think a good touch of Ioan's character in "Forever" would have been appropriate.

I noticed you didn't include Sue Storm. :funny:

Dark Raven likes this.
  8. Frodo Registered

When it comes to casting, more often then not, I tend to trust the filmmakers judgement much more than fandoms, since , often, fandom is wrong .

Of course filmmakers get it wrong too, but filmmakers know what type of performance is needed for the script and the actor has shown them they can do .

Fans tend go on of alot of preconceived ideas of how they feel the role should be played. Or fans assume because an actor is good at playing one type of role, that they couldn't possibly play another type of role.

Hence fans will proclaim things like, " There's no way Keaton can make a good Batman", "There's no way a Blonde Bond can work!", " Gal Gadot doesn't have that many movies under her belt, so it'll never work" , or " Tobey Maguire doesn't look like Peter Parker", etc.

If it were up to fandom alone to make these decisions , alot of the actors who were iconic in the roles of heroes and villains wouldn't have ever gotten the parts.

None of these actors would have been fans " first choice "

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So when it comes to this casting, I'm gonna try to keep an open mind, and give them a chance to prove themselves.

#108 Frodo, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    MilkmanDan, Da-Scribe and InCali like this.
  9. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Agree. I've noticed that fans also put WAY too much emphasis on someone's hair color.

metaphysician and Frodo like this.
  10. NotNickFury Registered

Because she's invisible. I didn't see her.

But also, yeah, of the four, she was definitely the weak link. If just because I can't buy Jessica Alba playing that sort of character.

11. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Ioan Gruffudd in Forever is how he should've been allowed to play Reed Richards.

12. Frodo Registered

I really enjoyed Forever , though I was probably one of like 10 people who watched it when it was on the air.:funny:.

I thought Gruffudd was good .
    [​IMG]

MilkmanDan and Dark Raven like this.
  13. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

has, Santiago Cabrera, been mentioned?
    upload_2022-1-28_16-23-5.png

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  14. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

If you look in this thread Forever you'll see there were quite a few more than 10 watching. ;)

Frodo likes this.
  15. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Hopefully not. He's so boring in Star Trek Picard.

16. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Guessing the beard 86th the go to "He's too feminine" criticism?

17. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Not on my radar at all.

I like him on Picard but not sure about as Reed.

Could see a Doom there.

18. Detective Conan Registered

[​IMG]

But is he the sacred timeline Mr. Fantastic?

Fluedd and Stark Bauer like this.
  19. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

HUGE DR STRANGE 2 SPOILERS AHEAD

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    Back in January, Beyond The Trailer’s Grace Randolph tweeted: “MCU screening was Doctor Strange 2 and I’m hearing very positive feedback from several sources! Wanda is STILL villain and is NOT watered down! America Chavez is definitely LGBT and they show her parents…I hear the Wanda vs Doctor Strange fight is [fire and shock emojis]… LOTS of major awesome cameos. Ooh yeah! Movie’s back on track! [after reshoots].

One cameo is so amazing - fan dream come true - I know it’s gonna leak which is [sad]. This is a cameo NOBODY has reported yet, so I hope everyone holds back and doesn’t ruin it.”

By that cameo, she could well mean the rumour that John Krasinski has been fan-cast as a variant of Fantastic Four’s Reed Richards. Reports of this landed within days after she tweeted this.

#119 Stark Bauer, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited by moderator Spider-Fan: Apr 13, 2022
  20. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I fixed it guys, but be more careful how you tag from here onward

Dark Raven likes this.
  21. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

All I can say is - There are very few castings that could kill my interest in this movie. Krasinski as Reed is one. I have tried for years now to wrap my head around that fan-casting. I just don't get it.

22. Fluedd Registered

Lol, what if the cameo is Miles Teller as Reed?

23. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

not everyone liked RDJ for Stark. Different folks different strokes. I mean if you prefer Howerton as Reed as I do - I understand. But Krasinski is a very endearing and relatable actor - probably better suited as Cyclops imho rather than Reed

24. Fluedd Registered

I just don't see Krasinski as Cyclops. Unlike Richards, I'd prefer they go younger with the X-Men.

25. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

I don't get either of those castings. To me, their entire acting personas are the polar opposite of Reed in to opposite directions. Krasinski's whole appeal is as a blue collar Average Joe. That's how he's looked and that's how he's approached every role he's done. Howerton meanwhile is the same way, but as your archetypical preppy jerk. Could either of them flip their personas and deliver a great performance out of the blue? Maybe. But for each of them, their physical appearance and their body of works each are very specific and very wrong for Reed, IMO.

For Reed you need someone whose awkward, stand-offish and nerdy but with the presence to take over the room when pushed into the spotlight. A very white collar intellectual look. People like William Jackson Harper, Richard Ayoade, Timothy Simons, John Paul Reynolds. And, of course, the epitome of that type: Young Tom Hanks.

#125 CaptainWagner, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022