Comics So now that the 616 Universe is Finished...

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
One thing I always respected about MARVEL comics is that despite several spin-offs, and alternate universes, there was always the one main 616 universe that existed since the beginning. Ultimate Marvel was cool in the beginning, but it no doubt rode off the success of the 616.

With Marvel NOW! taking over, do you think it will become the new main universe, or will 616 come back? Will Ultimate take over entirely, or will there just be something new?

OR

will we just get reboot after reboot, with several new incarnations of characters over and over again (kind of like DC comics)?

What are your thoughts, opinions, etc?

Marvel NOW is still the same continuity. A lot of characters just got status quo changes. The 616 is still intact.

Yeah, NOW is the 616 universe. They are just flipping it all around, changing characters, killing some off, etc.
In reference to Spidey, they said that they had something planned like this before they even heard about NOW, so don't think this is entirely part of it.

They just added the NOW part to give it a fresh look.

Honestly though, the 616 universe has become pretty crummy, ever since Civil War. I wouldn't mind a reboot. Start from scratch. But Spider-Man should be Peter Parker.

Well, Civil War was supposed to change the Marvel Universe... they even said that. If you didn't expect change there, then I don't know what to tell you. But if you don't like it, you don't have to read it. You still have over probably 3000 or more older Spidey issues to read.

I'm aware that there was "change" to the Marvel universe, but I found it to be negative change, considering everything went downhill after that, in my opinion. *cough* One More Day...

Well I'm still looking forward to Marvel NOW!, but due more to curiosity, then faith that the stories will be good.

Did the 616 universe end? I wasn't even aware. Another thing I would have cared/been outraged about a decade ago... now it seems like a mercy-killing.

Did a giant black plot hole cause it to collapse into itself? :o

Did the 616 universe end? I wasn't even aware. Another thing I would have cared/been outraged about a decade ago... now it seems like a mercy-killing.

Did a giant black plot hole cause it to collapse into itself? :o
Once again, 616 is not dying! It's just being drastically changed.

Aloha,
Seems like Marvel Now! is the outgrowth of Avengers vs. X-Men and A vs X is the resolution to House of M.
616 is alive and well.:word:
Spidey rules

Ho-hum. These mega events would have a lot more meaning if they didn't happen every two years. House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Marvel NOW..... and that's just Marvel. DC's also been on the same war-path of big, empty events that "change everything!"

Crisis on Infinite Earths was special in the 80's, because it was a once-in-a-lifetime (at that time) event that spanned its whole universe of characters and fixed problems that needed fixing, while telling a good story along the way. These new events also span the entire universe of their characters, but they're not rare, not special, not memorable, definitely not lasting, they create problems instead of fixing them and are driven by sales not creativity.

I am jaded, but with good reason. :o

I'm just glad not having to spend money on worthless writing and art from Marvel, I'll take that and buy me some classics out of the discount longboxes.

Gotta getz me sum ALF comicz!! :p

Ho-hum. These mega events would have a lot more meaning if they didn't happen every two years. House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Marvel NOW..... and that's just Marvel. DC's also been on the same war-path of big, empty events that "change everything!"

Crisis on Infinite Earths was special in the 80's, because it was a once-in-a-lifetime (at that time) event that spanned its whole universe of characters and fixed problems that needed fixing, while telling a good story along the way. These new events also span the entire universe of their characters, but they're not rare, not special, not memorable, definitely not lasting, they create problems instead of fixing them and are driven by sales not creativity.

If you go back and look at something like The Secret Wars, it feels big, and epic. That was truly an event. Everything else is meh.

I never knew why DC desired to drastically change the line-up when Crisis on Infinite Earths was released. I think that they did it to make things easier for the new readers because they felt that things were confusing. Instead it turned out to be the opposite of what they had intended. It took well over 25 years for the new DC Comics(1986) to finally sort itself out until they announce to create DC's New 52. This made me realize that DC doesn't know what they are doing.

In retrospect, I felt that they should have organized their Titles into a few different categories, like the Earth-2 characters into the Golden Age imprint and the Earth-1 characters into the Silver Age imprint. DC should not have attempted to combine everything as one universe. Now they did it again.

Another thing that should not have happened was the fact that Jim Lee sold Wildstorm to DC Comics in 1999 as he could have left it independent. I think that the main reason why he's at DC is because he wants to make sure that DC doesn't ruin the characters he created. :doh:

If you go back and look at something like The Secret Wars, it feels big, and epic. That was truly an event. Everything else is meh.

I get that same feeling with the All-New X-Men and Avengers....it just seems "bigger" than the older stuff.

Another thing that should not have happened was the fact that Jim Lee sold Wildstorm to DC Comics in 1999 as he could have left it independent. I think that the main reason why he's at DC is because he wants to make sure that DC doesn't ruin the characters he created. :doh:
Well it's not like DC is doing anything great with WildCATS, is that comic still being published anyway? And they've turned Grifter into like a mysterious Snake-Eyes wannabe guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"