First Avenger So what DIDN'T we like?

just about every movie made(with the exception of some war movies) is a love story. No surprises there.

But... superheroes aren't supposed to have love interests! There shouldn't even be women in these movies! They're only meant to appeal to the comic book fanboy demographic which is 100% asexual males!

But... superheroes aren't supposed to have love interests! There shouldn't even be women in these movies! They're only meant to appeal to the comic book fanboy demographic which is 100% asexual males!

really

OK so I've read through this entire thread and here's the funny thing. If the people who made this movie came beforehand and interviewed all the complainers and took note of every issue and complaint and modified the movie to suit, do you know what we would have gotten. A 5 hour long disjointed mess with no flow to the narrative and tons of scenes completely unnecessary to the point of the story; telling the story of Steve Rogers, a.k.a. CAPTAIN AMERICA.

If they went to all the CAP fans, MARVEL fans, etc., imagine what then the movie would be.

Thus they never felt any need to do so. This is why these people are PAID to make movies and the complainers are not.

Also to anyone and everyone who criticizes the inability to find the ship with CAP in 70 years, I'm pretty sure that they do not have a job or training in that kind of work. Thus they are talking out of their @$$ and not making any sense.

It is completely believable given the circumstances. I'm not going to explain because lots of other people have given perfectly valid reasons and those in opposition have shown a complete inability to understand.

The sad thing is that these same people probably think it made perfect sense that someone could organise a group of criminally insane escapees to transport, plant, and wire large amounts of explosives to blow up a busy metropolitan hospital?!?!?

Insinuating these guys get paid to make movies is not the guarantee they turn out perfectly. That is a complete farce .... and this film was by no means perfect.

I think what I did not like could be categorized under artistic difference.
I was hoping for more of a gritty feel. Like saving private ryan feel.

I hated how they condensed the battle scenes into one completely cliche, almost filler, segment where Cap and Dum dum and gang fight hydra.
I almost wanted to hear South parks "america" song over it. And, btw, if someone can do that I guarantee lots of laughs.

They could have really tied the story in with history, storming Normady, battle of the bulge, coulda been damn cool.

It took about 70 years to find the damn titanic and that's 2.5 miles underwater.

And are you really bringing up TDK? Really? What does that have to do with anything?
Furthermore is the hospital explosion instigated by a criminal mastermind a sizable group of followers any less believable than a federal building being blown up in real life?
murrah2.jpg

Oklahoma City Bombing, result of just the plans of just 2-4 people.

At least the Joker had help.

But how did the Joker and his goons become experts in building demolition with that synchronized building implosion?

Why didn't anyone raise a brow when barrels of that stuff were being rolled in?

Is everyone in Gotham as inept as the police officers that were chasing the Joker when they let him go after he blew up the police station? Even though he was sticking half his body out of the car window.

Not enough of WWII. The montage, as has been said, should have been longer. I honestly could have gone for three to four 'montages.' And one more major action sequence.

Not enough Nazis. As a corollary. Real ones, not Sci-fi versions.

Captain America was a bit of wuss. He didn't really become hardcore til the after credits scene. I think that should have happened much earlier, and I think the beat where he found joy and peace in the UFO tour shouldn't have happened. More Leonidas, less Spider-Man, please.

But how did the Joker and his goons become experts in building demolition with that synchronized building implosion?

how indeed

Why didn't anyone raise a brow when barrels of that stuff were being rolled in?

Is everyone in Gotham as inept as the police officers that were chasing the Joker when they let him go after he blew up the police station? Even though he was sticking half his body out of the car window.

Last time I checked, the allied forces weren't as corrupt as Gotham cops.

Mods here hate TDK talk so...

Last edited:
@ Iron Stark

Dude, trust me, do NOT waste your time with TDK lovers and Nolan-worshippers.

Plus, Marvin is right; the mods don't like TDK talk on other forums. I shouldn't have brought it up.

@ Rock Sexton
I never said the movie is perfect. What I am saying is so many people are the movie should have a, b, c, d,.......x, y, z, that it becomes utterly ridiculous. If the movie had all of those things to please everybody it would be TOTAL MESS. The majority of what people are clamouring about are completely unnecessary to the movie and if put in would derail the narrative and make the movie overly long and outstay it's welcome.

For example some peopel wanted more character development for the Howling Commandos. Those guys are in there purely as a nod to the fans; to let them see more favourite comic characters onscreen. If they had not done that and it was just some guys Chester Phillips had brought in, would people still be clamouring for more charcater developement. I don't think so.

Had these complaining guys made this movie it would be TERRIBLE.

-The whole dance/sing/propaganda number. For some reason, I just didn't like it, and will be skipping over that scene when it comes to bluray
-Running time. It didn't feel rushed, however, there was just a lot of stuff going on, and could have been longer
-Redskull looked great, sounded great, however, wasn't very menacing to me, and was almost boring imo. I just wish there was more to him than, "I want to take over the world" cliche

Yeah, the Red Skull was kind of Power Rangersery.

The first issue that made me become a Captain America fan was when he fought the Controller. Those flips he was doing was amazing, so why didn't we see any of this in the film? Not one single flip!!!! Hulk had flips, and even Thor but why were the flips absent in this film!!! Flips man i want FLIPS!

NestleFlipzMilkChocolate2oz56g5005B.jpg

http://www.ign.com/videos/2008/05/2...vie-clip-blonsky-battles-hulk?objectid=569136

~Doing what!?? :huh:

Is it so hard to see at least one giant robot to demonstrate his flipping/evading ability? Anyone? Hey you in front!!

Anyway if the jerk who called Punisher a coward ruins The Avengers I nominate Le-terrier for the sequel as long as they show a likeness of the jerk who called Punisher a coward being slowly disintegrated by a death ray.

Anyway on to my second point.

The whole Hydra sans Nazi thing. What is the big deal with the concern of children playing with Nazi figures when Ratzis where an important and well known fact of our history????!!!!!!!! Nobody had a brain-fart and suggested that this may be a nice way to teach our young children American history and bringing focus to the important lesson of good versus evil??!! My ancestors didn't sit in the special section while Nazi POW's hung out with the regular G.I.s for nothing man!!

Oh the agony and the horror behind the theory as to why this film wasn't introduced on the fourth of July. Despite the fact I am among a minority of those who experience a higher rate of unemployment and incarceration I still love my country. Hell my ancestors did not turn down Lord Dunmore's generous offer of freedom if they had joined the British to instead pick up arms and defend the Land of the Free (for some) for nothing!! This movie had so much potential to show America in a positive light, yet instead we are given a Hydra story involving garishly clad soldiers that resemble black deep sea divers because we are at a shameful point in our history.

The worst of this flipless fun-fest was having to hear Peggy Carter's overly fake 40's accent. It was like a buzz-saw sawing through my head, and I beleive the voice actress who played the role of Olive Oil in the early 70's to 80's Popeye cartoon show could have done a better job.

She failed to show any real chemistry in her acting with Evans and there were times I was thinking "not this %^& again."

Last edited:
There was nothing I can think of that I would have changed at all.
I thought it was great. Not saying it was perfect, but there just wasn't anything I would have changed.

-The whole dance/sing/propaganda number. For some reason, I just didn't like it, and will be skipping over that scene when it comes to bluray
-Running time. It didn't feel rushed, however, there was just a lot of stuff going on, and could have been longer
-Redskull looked great, sounded great, however, wasn't very menacing to me, and was almost boring imo. I just wish there was more to him than, "I want to take over the world" cliche

Agree with these.

I felt that Weaving was held back a bit too much as RS, we all know what this guy is capable of as an actor and especially villain, yet he didnt seem menacing at all, and Cap never seemed threatened by him, I never got a sense of 'oh ****, Cap's in trouble now' throughout the movie, which is dissapointing considering it was Hugo frigging Weaving.

Also thought the action scene's were a bit of a let down, the action in The Wolfman was superb, so I expected them to be even better here, and they were pretty 'meh', especially the final CA-RS confrontation.

I think what I did not like could be categorized under artistic difference.
I was hoping for more of a gritty feel. Like saving private ryan feel.

I hated how they condensed the battle scenes into one completely cliche, almost filler, segment where Cap and Dum dum and gang fight hydra.
I almost wanted to hear South parks "america" song over it. And, btw, if someone can do that I guarantee lots of laughs.

They could have really tied the story in with history, storming Normady, battle of the bulge, coulda been damn cool.
That was my one complaint as well.

That said, I wouldn't have wanted a Saving Private Ryan feel for the entire movie. The Indiana Jones/Rocketeer-esque feel made for a much more enjoyable movie, I think, that ultimately will be much more rewatchable than SPR ever was.

What I think, is that they should have dedicated a little more time to some actual WW2 battles. Like you said, instead of a montage, have some actual full scenes of Cap fighting the war, and add a little SPR grittiness into those scenes.

Ultimately though, the direction they went with did make sense given the context. Cap is like Batman; in terms of overall feel and art direction, you could go a lot of different ways and still remain true to certain comic eras.

I came for the new pic of Superman, but I stayed for the endless arguments and constant animosity!

I was disappointed that Cap's contingant only went after Hydra and The Skull. The filmakers seemed too much Hell bent on separating The Skrull from being a Nazi. After all this all he had that was Nazi was his passion for Wagner music. But Red Skull started as a hardcore Nazi! Hitler looked into his eyes and saw something and turned him into the perfect Nazi agent. And Red Skull was running on the same fuel, on Nazi power. All throughout the 40s Red Skull in the comics was the super-Nazi. And even when he came to the present it was all about hate for him and about destroying what America stood for. The cube came much later! Now all the hate is gone from his thoughts, all he cared about was the Cube. I have never seen anything from the Red Skull in the movie that was sadistic and a psychopath.

Give me a movie where Cap bash Nazi heads. That's the whole freakin point of the character.

-Didn't like Hugo Weaving's German accent. I wish he had used his Agent Smith voice, it was far more sinister. Zola's German accent wasn't great either, but better than the Skulls.

-Felt the Nazi aspect of Skull was too de-emphasized. I couldn't buy Hitler allowing Schmidt to build up pretty much a rival organization, with weapons of such power. It also didn't make sense that Schmidt wasn't giving Hitler at least some of the weapons, if for no other reason to keep him in Hitler's good graces and out of his hair. Didn't like how they replaced the Nazi symbol with the Hydra symbol throughout the movie, even on the little flags used to represent the Hydra bases.

-Thought the Hydra uniforms and tech were way too advanced. I also thought Cap's final uniform was too advanced. I preferred the uniform he had on during the tours, with some streamlining or touch ups, as the one he should've used.

-No mention of Isaiah Bradley. I really didn't expect it, but would've been pleasantly surprised if some type of mention had been thrown in there.

-Didn't realize that the film was supposed to take place over several years until I read that on the internet. I think they could've done a better job with that. Like just showing years passing by during that montage when Cap is kicking ass.
How did you miss that? He says at the very end "you've been asleep for nearly 70 years":awesome: hehehehe :p

My only Complaints were really 3 major ones.

*SPOILERS*

1. Bucky they completely changed his character i didnt really like that but then again I never really liked bucky anyway so i didnt really care that much.

2. Red Skull They really messed with his character too, changed his backstory, gave him powers he shouldnt of had and exagerrated his involvement with Hydra.

3. The Cosmic Cube, They completely changed what the Cube was but then again the cube does alter reality so i guess technically you could explain that away as saying Red skull didnt know truly what he had so he thought it was a power source so he willed it to be a power source.

*End Spoilers*

But overall i really liked Captain america, after the last few flops (First Class, Thor, Green Lantern and i guess Xmen Origins Wolverine was the one before that) This movie was pretty solid They got alot more right than they got wrong, especially with Cap, he was pretty close and what they did changed flowed well with the rest of the movie.

The only other complaint I would say was No Wolverine Cameo or Nod to his and Cap's partnership in WW2 lol.

Wow you didnt like First Class?? I thought it was kind of boring but the best out of all the other films you mentioned.

But you are aware Wolvie belongs to Sony? And with that a big expletive to Avi Arad the Marvel Pimp!!!

The whole Hydra sans Nazi thing. What is the big deal with the concern of children playing with Nazi figures when Ratzis where an important and well known fact of our history????!!!!!!!

Don't be an idiot.

Maybe it's because in real life they murdered 6 million Jews and and an even sickeningly larger number of Russian soldiers, not to mention gypsies, invalids, homosexuals, children....

Don't be an idiot.

and you can go to Hell.
Maybe it's because in real life they murdered 6 million Jews and and an even sickeningly larger number of Russian soldiers, not to mention gypsies, invalids, homosexuals, children....
More than this guy?

MOez2OCVST0RBFxXQbjSQ8lf6Hw3w95Rh4T.jpg

or this guy?

41RuDavcOeL.jpg

I grew up with at least one of those toys and I came out okay, I learned the value of good vs. evil, and since this war is much a part of my history that changed the free world I don't see the logic of sugar coating things for political correctness. The absence of Nazis in this film really downplayed the most important event in my country's history, and even if you are an angry person who hates Nazis, how can you sit there and tell me you won't get a cathartic thrill seeing many of them decimated by Captain America? Since I started reading Cap back in 1987 I always envisioned a time where technology would permit a decent Cap adaptation and I'd finally get to see Captain America punch Hitler's lights out. No because of bums like you we get to see a dumbed down version of Hydra (that doesn't fit in the story) and Nazis barely mentioned if at all touched upon. Yea I wanted to see a Nazi rape fest, instead we get this crap. There is no better time to remind the world of all we helped to do to ensure freedom (before the Reagan/Nixon admin) until now. My family members who served in that war read Captain America comics too, because Cap and many other superheroes were detrimental in keeping their morale, as not only did they have to fight Nazis, they had to worry about getting lynched when they returned home. Those people are men who's boots I could never fill, the men you may never hear about in a Captain America film, people who defended a land filled with people who would rather see them in a bottom of a lake much less proudly carrying the flag. This film had so much opportunity, but now it just reminds me that we are becoming a nation of corrupt bickering little cowards who would willingly castrate one of our most well known icons so the rest of the world won't feel uncomfortable watching a guy dressed in the flag kicking Nazi butt. Sadly the only argument I hear regarding why nazis werent focused upon is due to the concerns parents may have of their kids playing with the merchandise. have we sold out or what? If thats an issue, THEN DON'T CREATE ANY NAZI TOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"