Social Media Reactions + Reviews

Its crazy that 3 of Thor's movies are shorter than all of Iron Man's and Cap's films, given that with the exception of Civil War, all of their movies were much smaller in scope.
Oh didn’t know that. Hopefully they can correct that with future Thor films. They’ll have to make a new Thor trilogy after Taika to make up for this. :cwink:

I'm getting a feeling this will end up in the high 80s on RT from all these reactions.

Taika is definitely someone that has a lot of freedom in Feige's eyes. He wrote the movie and if he thinks he was able to tell the story in just under two hours then he can do what he wants.

The runtime isn’t necessarily an issue, it’s all about execution and how you manage to juggle many things at the same time and bring It together in an compact and engaging manner.

If there isn’t a focused and clear vision then things can easily go off the rails when you’re trying to cram a lot in, plus adding Taika’s own sensibilities and sense of humor, the integration of different storylines plus the introduction of new characters and worlds.

I think for better or for worst a lot of the responsibility lands on Taika’s shoulders. He might have bitten more than he could chew and gone off the rails a bit which just gives the ammunition some people where needing and wanting to bash on him and the film. Because there was definitely a lot of “baggage” that people where taking in to see this film, from criticism to Ragnarok, to Jojo Rabbit, to MCU/phase 4 fatigue, to a female Thor…

I loved Ragnarok and I’m clearly on one side of the trenches on this one, I’ve enjoyed the teaser and the latter TV spots a lot which makes me think that I’ll find more than enough joy and worthiness in this film regardless of how much other people try to bash on it.

I’ll see it next week and give my honest 2 cents about it. Can’t wait to see what the fuss is all about. :yay:

With films like this I prefer a longer runtime not because it makes a better film but to enjoy the world for longer. The extended editions of LotR might not have reviewed as well as the theatrical versions as the pacing wouldn't have been as good and some of the additional scenes wouldn't have been as strong, but for me spending as much time as possible in Middle Earth was amazing. Cinema obviously has other restrictions on excess runtime compared to home cinema too with no ability to pause a very long film and take a break.

It’s also worth and important to point out that a lot of people/the majority(7/8 out of 10) liked the film and enjoyed many aspects of it, from Thor, to the Mighty Thor, Valkyrie and special Gorr, Zeus… have received a ton of praise.

The soundtrack/score also seems to be a highlight, as are the visuals, the dramatic impact, the comedy… So there’s plenty to like too, it’s just a question of how it lands for yourself based on your own preferences of course. Specially something like comedy which is so subjective.

So don’t get too bummed out about some of these reactions and experience it for yourself which is really the best way to give your own verdict on something.

A few of the YouTube reviews I've watched have said the film could have been a lot better with just 5-15 minutes of added time as they felt some connective tissue for certain characters and storylines got cut out to make the film come out under 2 hours.

A few of the YouTube reviews I've watched have said the film could have been a lot better with just 5-15 minutes of added time as they felt some connective tissue for certain characters and storylines got cut out to make the film come out under 2 hours.

That's an odd conclusion to draw. Why would they deliberately aim to make it under 2 hours? That doesn't fit with how either the MCU has been in general (not even phase 4 specifically), or with what Taika did the last time.

That's an odd conclusion to draw. Why would they deliberately aim to make it under 2 hours? That doesn't fit with how either the MCU has been in general (not even phase 4 specifically), or with what Taika did the last time.

Plus Taika doesn't really do 2+ hour films. Movie theater owners will love that run time though. They can screen it more often.

More screenings per day.

More screenings per day.

My point is that if that's a goal, why aren't they doing it for the other films? It makes no sense to draw that conclusion when this is only the second sub-2 hour film in the last near 6 years of the MCU (the other one is also the lowest grossing one of that period).

The more probable answer is that it's just what Taika ended up with. After all this is his second longest film ever.

The review embargo drops today at 9 am EST, so in like 7 and a half hours. After seeing a lot of the reactions coming in, I’m expecting something around the 75% mark.

I'ma hold out hope for at least 80%.

The review embargo drops today at 9 am EST, so in like 7 and a half hours. After seeing a lot of the reactions coming in, I’m expecting something around the 75% mark.

Currently on 86% with 28 reviews. I'd expect it to go down a bit like most movies as more come in, so I'd say 75% is probably about right.

86% start on RT with 28 reviews in.

Not bad at all.
Can’t see the rating just yet but yeh good start taking into account what the overall vibe of the reactions where.

65 on Metacritic. That’s good enough.
Variety gave the film a 90 out of a 100, New York Post an 88 and Robbie Collin from the Telegraph an 80. WOW!!! Didn’t see that coming at all. Great stuff.

It used to be movies dropped significantly because Euro reviewers released their reviews first, and they were way nicer than Americans
But that seems to have balanced out a bit recently

So I still think it ends in the 80's, maybe an 82%

TOMATOMETER
74%

Average Rating: 7 out of 10
Fresh: 42
Rotten: 15

Last edited:
It used to be movies dropped significantly because Euro reviewers released their reviews first, and they were way nicer than Americans
But that seems to have balanced out a bit recently

So I still think it ends in the 80's, maybe an 82%

Do you remember what MoM started out at?

I do not. And I'm not saying its a definite, but the days of "99% after 50 reviews!" dropping to 65% by the end seem to be gone to a large extent

And the "early reactions" for this seem stronger than for Strange 2, so I'm guessing this ends up a few percent higher

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"