Morbius Sony announces a Morbius movie in development!

Crown, wow there's a deep cut I never thought would be trudged up to be in a movie. I remember he looked cooler when he first appeared as this big all black figure with glowing eyes, then he showed up later and had a worse design.

It's true! We have no idea if that's still happening or if he's still working on it, though.

Deadpool evolved to be less like Deathstroke.

I had never even heard of Nightwatch until I heard Spike Lee was attached to the Sony Movie adaptation.

I would be down for a Slingers spin off franchise.

I hope Morbius has a crow vibe.

Yes, I feel a good approach to Morbius could be to make it look like the kind of movie Alex Proyas would have made either after Dark City or between The Crow and Dark City. Kinda' what David Fincher did in Seven in making it look like a movie William Friedkin would have made after The Exorcist.

That is sort of meh, LOL! So, Venomverse...where every villain has the exact same power set as the hero! :o

I will still give it a shot, but the news is very meh.
Agreed. I like villains that aren't just an evil version of the hero. Kraven might be able to break that formula since he is likely going to fight Spider-Man or Venom.

This movie is being seriously underestimated. This could be Blade all over again.
Blade was R-rated, just like Interview With A Vampire, From Dusk Til Dawn and Bram Stroker's Dracula. PG-13 vampire movies? You have Van Helsing and Dracula Untold.
It's almost like vampires are better suited for a R-rating!
Now that we're talking about Untold, the same guys who wrote than one are working here.
Jared Leto is an Oscar winning actor and he may give the performance of a lifetime
I hope you are joking.
Expect a similar situation box office wise that we are having with Venom to happen with Morbius.
Yeah, Sony probably won't spend as much money on the production budget as on marketing Morbius to kids who never gave a flying about him.

If there is one glimmer of hope for this movie is that the guy directing it also directed Life which didn't rely as much on it's script to be good (suspense-wise) unlike Zombieland.

Last edited:
Blade was R-rated, just like Interview With A Vampire, From Dusk Til Dawn and Bram Stroker's Dracula. PG-13 vampire movies? You have Van Helsing and Dracula Untold.
It's almost like vampires are better suited for a R-rating!
Now that we're talking about Untold, the same guys who wrote than one are working here.

I hope you are joking.

Yeah, Sony probably won't spend as much money on the production budget as on marketing Morbius to kids who never gave a flying about him.

If there is one glimmer of hope for this movie is that the guy directing it also directed Life which didn't rely as much on it's script to be good (suspense-wise) unlike Zombieland.

I agree with you that R rated vampire movies tend to be better and have greater artistic freedom. However, I disagree on Jared Leto - the movie isnt even out yet so we cannot judge it properly - but I have a feeling that Jared will commit to this role and will do a RDJ/Tony Stark, Ryan Reynolds/Deadpool. Jared Leto is gonna OWN this role!

I suppose it's no surprise that the massive financial success of Venom has just intensified the vitriol that folks here have for Sony. Like how dare they continue to craft out their movie universe with characters they can use.

I suppose it's no surprise that the massive financial success of Venom has just intensified the vitriol that folks here have for Sony. Like how dare they continue to craft out their movie universe with characters they can use.

I know, it's almost like people don't want subpar movies made about their favorite characters.

I know, it's almost like people don't want subpar movies made about their favorite characters.

Or that they can't eat crow and admit that a movie- and potential follow-ups- that they wanted to bomb is a financial success. Again, folks can talk quality all they want because it's all subjective in the end, but numbers don't lie. What some call subpar others might call great.

Or that they can't eat crow and admit that a movie- and potential follow-ups- that they wanted to bomb is a financial success. Again, folks can talk quality all they want because it's all subjective in the end, but numbers don't lie. What some call subpar others might call great.

So because they're making money, percieved quality doesn't really matter? If you like Sony's output then that's cool, but that mindset is what sunk the DCEU.

I don't see a single penny from any of this so I don't really care about box office. I just want good Spider-man movies because he's my favorite character, and I along with most other people here do not trust Sony to give us that. Pretty simple really, and it's why more news about these spin-offs is not ever going to be welcome until they start making better movies.

Yea I mean it’s almost like they didn’t make horrible movies before and create a horrible rushed universe that fell dead on its feet. How dare us fans want quality from characters we care about

Last edited:

Transformers has amazing numbers. Your point? Let’s not get it twisted . Venom was no dark knight. The majority of people kept saying you gotta turn your brain off to enjoy the movie. It’s the same thing they said about the resident evil movies that made money aswell. Fans of course hated them. Spider-Man movies aren’t movies I want to turn off my brain to watch onward.

Last edited:
I have no strong feelings for or against this, but if you look at Venom's numbers and think that you displeasure with that movie should be enough to halt Sony's plans... I mean, come on.

No one is forcing you to see these at gunpoint, and honestly... it's Morbius. Were any of you actually itching to see him on display in the MCU? I have doubts...

Transformers has amazing numbers. Your point? Let’s not get it twisted . Venom was no dark knight. The majority of people kept saying you gotta turn your brain off to enjoy the movie. It’s the same thing they said about the resident evil movies that made money aswell. Fans of course hated them. Spider-Man movies aren’t movies I want to turn off my brain to watch onward.

Well, I haven't talked to the majority of the people who have seen Venom, nor have I looked to see what the overwhelming majority have said, and neither have you, so you really don't know what the majority of people have said when it comes to how people should watch Venom and that they should turn off their brain, am I right? And yeah, I'm sure Morbius probably wasn't on many people's radars as far as the MCU, so not like his appearance in another universe should ruffle any feathers. They probably weren't thinking about him anyway!

And for all the talk people say that the DCEU is sunk, Flint, pretty sure they're still going full speed ahead with their slate and still casting for projects, but that's a different topic, though I know it's buzzworthy for folks to claim that shared universe is dead even though, you know, it isn't.

I have no strong feelings for or against this, but if you look at Venom's numbers and think that you displeasure with that movie should be enough to halt Sony's plans... I mean, come on.

No one was thinking that. It’s just sad when bad movies continue to be made about characters you love, and this is the appropriate place to voice that. It’s not even about these characters being in the MCU or not, for me at least.

Well, I haven't talked to the majority of the people who have seen Venom, nor have I looked to see what the overwhelming majority have said, and neither have you, so you really don't know what the majority of people have said when it comes to how people should watch Venom and that they should turn off their brain, am I right? And yeah, I'm sure Morbius probably wasn't on many people's radars as far as the MCU, so not like his appearance in another universe should ruffle any feathers. They probably weren't thinking about him anyway!

And for all the talk people say that the DCEU is sunk, Flint, pretty sure they're still going full speed ahead with their slate and still casting for projects, but that's a different topic, though I know it's buzzworthy for folks to claim that shared universe is dead even though, you know, it isn't.

It’s fairly easy to see what the consensus is on a movie, and the consensus for Venom has generally been that it’s a pretty fun movie in spite of also being pretty bad. You may not agree with that but that’s definitely the consensus.

WB scrapped most of their planned slate and are tabling the connect universe angle to instead focus on individual projects. This is due to them moving forward on a universe that received a less than stellar initial response because they saw dollar signs.

Last edited:
I don't really care if this movie gets made. I mean Morbius? Who cares about him. I am mostly dreading Leto's potential antics if he goes "method" for this role, as seen by what he pulled on the cast of Suicide Squad :funny:

Clearly this reflects my earlier take on how Sony sees true talent in Jared Hunka Leto to really do and feel the job of being as Morbius as possible. I am concerned though because despite his promising instagram post showing dedication to the role via the process of facial hair excision, I see he has removed his Damaged label and grills. The label of ‘Damaged’ and other physical character labels provided a unique creative means of insight into the character that was so widely discussed and accepted. Leto was really smart in this method and shows a distinct care for his craft unlike his peers. It was an intrinsic stroke of genius and quite creative because it becomes less of an onus on the filmmakers and actor to have to use up screentime to demonstrate these character traits and qualities so they can focus on more critical aspects of the film (sharper editing and smooth organic music beats). I wish it were so in films like City Lights, Chaplin had worn labels such as “comedic but sad” and “Kind but timid” boldly on his bowler hat or coat lapel. In this way, Leto is unparalleled in his crusade for artistic truth. I hope his magic can carry over into this highly necessary project for which I wait with sheer delight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"