Morbius Sony announces a Morbius movie in development!

My first exposure to Morbius was this:

Morbius1A__03353.1424798107.386.513.jpg

I still remember picking up this issue (along with a reprint of Amazing Spider-Man #101). This needs to follow the Blade formula. Low budget and R-Rated. More horror thriller, less superhero romp.

I read Morbius comics from the nineties as a kid. I recall enjoying them (as well as a bunch of Marvel's other supernatural characters they pushed in the early/mid-nineties).

Morbius has some decent villains. My picks would be one or two of these guys

Rogue CIA agent Simon Stroud who has been hunting Morbius for years in the comics

Vic Slaughter
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/slaughtervicmorb.htm

Doctor Thaddeus Paine
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/docpaine.htm

Stroud and Slaughter if they want a more horror action vibe and Paine if they want a more horror thriller tone

You gotta love how Sony is still clinging so desperately to the Spidey-Verse idea from their TASM days. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

Anyway, this will likely be quite the beautiful catastrophe.

It's all about money and ego. I'm enthusiastic about their sidecar animated Spidey film, and if they stuck to that, I would be totally on board with it.

I feel like these other spin-off movies are still up in the air until the release of Venom. That movie will give us a much better idea of where this "Spider-Manless Spider-Verse" is headed.

Now we wait for tattoos like on forehead "I dont spark".

I would love to see a Jamie Foxx Electro spin-off. Perhaps it can be a musical? :o

They’d be the only company in competition with marvel if marvel gets fox which is likely and a done deal. They are stupid to keep doing this little universe knowing they ruined the first attempt. What would even be the big payoff? An avenger style fight? They’d be stupid to back out of this deal once far from home comes out. I honestly think venom will stick true to those reddit rumors leaked awhile back

We don't know if they ruined the first attempt at this point. Venom is not out yet. No one has seen it, and we don't know how much money it made yet.

I’m talking about asm franchise........ the first attempt .. at a universe. They tried to make a universe out of that? Remember ?

Suffice to say, most Spider-Man fans don't have faith in Sony to handle any of these spin-offs right, and understandably so.

I'd love nothing more to be proven wrong, but I still don't have much faith.

Suffice to say, most Spider-Man fans don't have faith in Sony to handle any of these spin-offs right, and understandably so.

Same thing I said. Prove me wrong Sony

I am hoping Venom does that. I want to see a Venom vs Carnage movie happen, so I am crossing my fingers the movie is good. I like the Venom design, I am just not sure about the movie yet, LOL!

Exactly. Morbius and Venom spin offs without Spidey, and led by Sony, have disaster written all over them.

Venom trailers are awful.

Exactly. Morbius and Venom spin offs without Spidey, and led by Sony, have disaster written all over them.

Venom trailers are awful.

While a certain part of Venom is gone without Spidey, I honestly think Morbius doesn't need Spider-Man. Morbius was never going to fight Spider-Man in a Spidey film anytime soon, and he has had his own books and such and there is a certain world he can explore that is divorced from Spider-Man that would be interesting. I don't think Spider-Man is really needed at all for a Morbius movie, not even a mention. Besides, the Spidey vs Morbius issues were never favorites of mine. The big worry here is Sony and their track record.

This seems like it would be a pretty generic reluctant-vampire movie but not one that would necessarily bomb or be regarded as embarrassing. Comic book/SH movies recently have had very little horror elements so audiences and critics could find it interesting even being fairly generic.

...have you read any of the posts in this thread?

Yes, there are many posts. Some just don't seem enthusiastic on the idea of these spin-off films, period. The poster whom I asked the question stated that this project was, basically, the only one he/she was keen on of all these Spider-verse spin-offs. So, what is the drawback? Maybe, Leto? Maybe the director, Daniel Espinosa? Maybe the writers? All of the above? Hope this clears it.

Last edited:
I read Morbius comics from the nineties as a kid. I recall enjoying them (as well as a bunch of Marvel's other supernatural characters they pushed in the early/mid-nineties).

Morbius has some decent villains. My picks would be one or two of these guys

Rogue CIA agent Simon Stroud who has been hunting Morbius for years in the comics

Vic Slaughter
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/slaughtervicmorb.htm

Doctor Thaddeus Paine
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/docpaine.htm

Stroud and Slaughter if they want a more horror action vibe and Paine if they want a more horror thriller tone

Those sound good. There's also the Caretakers of Arcturus IV from the Bronze Age comics:

76e7e251d13c07a916a88758232a8ce0.jpg

This seems like it would be a pretty generic reluctant-vampire movie but not one that would necessarily bomb or be regarded as embarrassing. Comic book/SH movies recently have had very little horror elements so audiences and critics could find it interesting even being fairly generic.

Sony is probably banking on Morbius being their Blade.

While a certain part of Venom is gone without Spidey, I honestly think Morbius doesn't need Spider-Man. Morbius was never going to fight Spider-Man in a Spidey film anytime soon, and he has had his own books and such and there is a certain world he can explore that is divorced from Spider-Man that would be interesting. I don't think Spider-Man is really needed at all for a Morbius movie, not even a mention. Besides, the Spidey vs Morbius issues were never favorites of mine. The big worry here is Sony and their track record.

Totally agree, and if Venom does end up being decent, Morbius, for the very reason you stated, could have a likely chance of delivering the same result if not better.

Leto as Morbius?

The tattoo has gotta read 'Thirsty'

I honestly don't care for any of these spin-offs and it comes off again as Sony just trying to cop a trend. They did it with ASM. They did it with ASM2 and the initial idea of trying to world-build. They were trying to with Silver and Black. Now it's Silk. Now they're doing it again with Venom and Morbius.

Sony has ruined my belief that they'll turn out a good product.

Yes, there are many posts. Some just don't seem enthusiastic on the idea of these spin-off films, period. The poster whom I asked the question stated that this project was, basically, the only one he/she was keen on of all these Spider-verse spin-offs. So, what is the drawback? Maybe, Leto? Maybe the director, Daniel Espinosa? Maybe the writers? All of the above? Hope this clears it.

Yeah, I would say it's Leto. His performance as The Joker was the worst portrayal of the character I've witnessed, and that doesn't give me hope for this.

:up: :up: :up:

So I'm guessing Leto is going to actually have fangs installed and will chop off his own nose to really get into the mindset of the character.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. :funny:

If Sony can take some Marvel characters and make a darker corner, that might well work. The Venom trailers showed plenty of promise, and perhaps Morbius is also a sign that Sony is ready to try a shared horror universe.

If Sony can take some Marvel characters and make a darker corner, that might well work. The Venom trailers showed plenty of promise, and perhaps Morbius is also a sign that Sony is ready to try a shared horror universe.

On a related note, as Venom seems to be drawing some influence from The Fly, I think that film would also be an apt model for Morbius, if not even better suited, given the tragic theme. Also, I may have mentioned this previously, I feel like Morbius would be ripe for an atmosphere ala that of Dario Argento's films and some of the 60's Hammer films, just as Venom seems to be going for an 80's-90's feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"