Venom Sony Revives 'Venom' Solo Movie - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Spider-Man fans are triggered easily.

[blackout]The reason why I don't believe this spoiler is because of ending of IW.[/blackout]

Considering he's got another movie en route, that development pretty obviously isn't gonna be permanent though.

MCU Flash could NEVER be Venom, LOL!!!!

You think a little runt like Revelori couldn't stand up to Hardy? He could always cyber bully him by posting unflattering pics on Instagram, trolling Brock's Twitter account or writing nasty Facebook status updates about him.

I'm still pretty sure Sony will find a way to screw this up.

Of course they will. The majority of praise in response to this trailer is for the 3 seconds of seeing Venom. The rest of the trailer ranges from bland to cartoonish (especially Hardy's Brock), to awful.

There is nothing to be optimistic about. This movie looks like another Sony stinker.

You think a little runt like Revelori couldn't stand up to Hardy? He could always cyber bully him by posting unflattering pics on Instagram, trolling Brock's Twitter account or writing nasty Facebook status updates about him.

wQVN3qU.gif

I think DJ Flash would be literally eating his DJ gear :hehe:

The tentacles seem too cartoonish to me. The bike jump stands out as looking odd to me. I'm not really aware of 616 Venom using the symbiote in that way. Carnage can create more solid constructs from the symbiote, but I don't think Venom can manipulate himself like that. Even then Carnage seems to prefer making bladed weapons like axes and claws.

The tentacles seem too cartoonish to me. I'm not really aware of 616 Venom using the symbiote in that way. Carnage can create more solid constructs from the symbiote, but I don't think Venom can manipulate himself like that. Even then Carnage seems to prefer making bladed weapons like axes and claws.

But we're not getting 616 Venom. If we were, Peter would have had the black suit, and Brock would be a straight villain first.

Of course they will. The majority of praise in response to this trailer is for the 3 seconds of seeing Venom. The rest of the trailer ranges from bland to cartoonish (especially Hardy's Brock), to awful.

There is nothing to be optimistic about. This movie looks like another Sony stinker.

I don’t think it looks a stinker at all. I think it looks great. That’s not just because of 3 seconds of Venom footage either.

I thought the new trailer was nice. Definitely should have been the first trailer, mknet shot of Venom was awesome. So I feel a bit more optimistic.

I don’t think it looks a stinker at all. I think it looks great. That’s not just because of 3 seconds of Venom footage either.

Really what was so great about it for you? I'd love to hear details on what sells this as something great besides something superficial like Venom's design.

Last edited:
This looks like a perfect depiction of Venom, but I hope they play up the horror, psychological elements and tone down the action.

I feel the MCU have already got that action market locked down. Why try and compete? This could be an awesome superhero version of the Fly, Jekyll and Hyde etc.

Last edited:
Really what was so great about it for you? I'd love to hear details on what sells this as something great besides Venom's design.

Looks like it has some horror elements which I love. I’m also loving the small parts we see of his inner conflict with the symbiote. I like that he’s a reporter too, I’m glad they didn’t abandon that and he seems firm what little we see to be a competent one. I liked the vibe of the trailer too, just had a feel to it that drew me in. Of course the Venom shot is THE money shot and with that the trailer ends with a bang.

This looks like a perfect depiction of Venom, but I hope they play up the horror, psychological elements and tone down the action.

I feel the MCU have already got that action market locked down. Why try and compete? This could be an awesome superhero version of the Fly, Jekyll and Hyde etc.

Yes totally agree and the elements of that we saw in the trailer I loved.

Have to admit I didn’t know that was Michelle Williams at first thought she looked like Nicole Kidman. Looks like she’s had her lips done.

I’m actually interested to know who is doing Venom’s voice too. Sounded a bit like Tony Todd but pretty sure it wasn’t him.

Looks like it has some horror elements which I love. I’m also loving the small parts we see of his inner conflict with the symbiote. I like that he’s a reporter too, I’m glad they didn’t abandon that and he seems firm what little we see to be a competent one. I liked the vibe of the trailer too, just had a feel to it that drew me in. Of course the Venom shot is THE money shot and with that the trailer ends with a bang.

That's just more superficial reasons. Some of the worst CBMs have had stuff like that. For example, Ghost Rider had horror elements, Johnny Blaze had an inner conflict etc. Didn't help the movie.

The fact Brock is a reporter doesn't mean diddly squat, IMO. If we are talking faithfulness to the characterization, then they have thrown that right out the window. What about the fact they have totally ignored the whole foundation of the character - the fact he becomes Venom because of his hatred for Spider-Man? That the symbiote was Spider-Man's which he rejected before it went to Brock etc? Sony has just taken a dump on the whole Venom mythos there, much like they did with the Goblin one in TASM 2. But then this is Sony. Who is really surprised by that.

I still see nothing here to be impressed with. Not as a movie, or if I was a Venom fan. I'm baffled how some people think this is the perfect depiction of Venom.

Last edited:
The tentacles seem too cartoonish to me. The bike jump stands out as looking odd to me. I'm not really aware of 616 Venom using the symbiote in that way. Carnage can create more solid constructs from the symbiote, but I don't think Venom can manipulate himself like that. Even then Carnage seems to prefer making bladed weapons like axes and claws.

You're getting a modified 616 Brock paired with a modified 1610 Venom.

That's just more superficial reasons. Some of the worst CBMs have had stuff like that. For example, Ghost Rider had horror elements, Johnny Blaze had an inner conflict etc. Didn't help the movie.

The fact Brock is a reporter doesn't mean diddly squat, IMO. If we are talking faithfulness to the characterization, then they have thrown that right out the window. What about the fact they have totally ignored the whole foundation of the character - the fact he becomes Venom because of his hatred for Spider-Man? That the symbiote was Spider-Man's which he rejected before it went to Brock etc? Sony has just taken a dump on the whole Venom mythos there, much like they did with the Goblin one in TASM 2. But then this is Sony. Who is really surprised by that.

I still see nothing here to be impressed with. Not as a movie, or if I was a Venom fan.

Doesn’t matter I like what I see. I like the idea of the plot with the symbiote been taken to a lab where they’re doing experiments. That’s just freaking cool to me. With Brock then investigating in which to me he is coming off as a competent reporter. Also I never said the horror element did help those other films but I also never praised those by the trailers for that either.

I also don’t see how me liking the inner conflict aspects with Hardy’a performance as superficial either.

I don’t care that they’ve changed that, CBMs often change things up and people let it slide. I really didn’t think I’d be excited for a Venom movie without Spider-Man but I am.

Film looks ****ing great!

I think it looks okay but some things are just odd. Some of the dialogue just feels... off. And while I'm a big fan of Hardy, I'm not sold on his depiction of Brock. But maybe it's just that the trailer seems awkwardly edited in certain spots. I do like Venom's design, and the voice is cool. I assume that's it's Hardy's voice, just digitally altered... I doubt he's want to play Venom if he didn't get to play ALL of Venom. The tendril stuff looks okay I guess, but it makes him seem more like Mr. Fantastic than Venom.

I don't know. It's a mixed bag. I'm interested but I don't know whether it will be any good. Sony had a horrible track record, but the strong cast and Venom's design still give me hope.

Yeah It doesn't look bad so far.... the movie is still unnecessary, but I've seen worse.

But we're not getting 616 Venom. If we were, Peter would have had the black suit, and Brock would be a straight villain first.

Yet they seem to want people to think they're getting the version most people want to see. The abilities seem more in line with Ultimate Venom, but the symbiote still seems alien and Brock is still a reporter. Seems a bit of a mash up. One that's not quite sitting well for me.

Doesn’t matter I like what I see. I like the idea of the plot with the symbiote been taken to a lab where they’re doing experiments. That’s just freaking cool to me. With Brock then investigating in which to me he is coming off as a competent reporter. Also I never said the horror element did help those other films but I also never praised those by the trailers for that either.

I also don’t see how me liking the inner conflict aspects with Hardy’a performance as superficial either.

I don’t care that they’ve changed that, CBMs often change things up and people let it slide. I really didn’t think I’d be excited for a Venom movie without Spider-Man but I am.

Film looks ****ing great!

But Brock isn't supposed to be a competent reporter. It was his own incompetence that cost him his career in journalism in the comics. Being the weak willed character he is, he blamed Spider-Man, whom he had never even met before and didn't know from Adam. You mentioned the horror element as one of your reasons for this looking great. That's why I highlighted how its superficial since having horror elements doesn't automatically make for a great movie.

Making Brock and Peter Parker childhood buddies or best friends ala USM or SSM, or photographer rivals is what you call changing things up. Divorcing Peter entirely from Brock and the whole origin of the symbiote and Venom is a total overhaul.

That, among many other reasons, is why the movie looks like another Sony dud.

Last edited:
One thing that really bugged me... do they not know how to pronounce symbiote?

Yet they seem to want people to think they're getting the version most people want to see. The abilities seem more in line with Ultimate Venom, but the symbiote still seems alien and Brock is still a reporter. Seems a bit of a mash up. One that's not quite sitting well for me.

Precisely, it's a mesh-up. But, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Pretty much all of the MCU films have drawn upon both 616 and Ultimate sources for inspiration, and made the best combinations they could. Look no further than Cap's costume in the MCU. It is FAR more ultimate Cap. I don't think Sony is trying to say we're getting 616 Venom, I think they are just selling we're getting Venom (teeth, tongue, talks to himself, lethal protector, etc).

That said, this is a Sony project. I understand being pessimistic. But, I will give it a shot.

Joker, I know this is gonna be a shocker to you, but have you ever heard about the concept of subjectivity?

This coming from someone who thought the new trailer was mediocre apart from Venom himself.

Joker, I know this is gonna be a shocker to you, but have you ever heard about the concept of subjectivity?

SkullDevil, I know this is gonna be a shocker to you, but nowhere did I say it wasn't. Unless you can highlight and quote the post where I did. We have a moderator in the thread, should we ask them if I was out of line at all?

Or is debating your reasons for having opposing opinions an alien concept to you on a message board?

Really what was so great about it for you? I'd love to hear details on what sells this as something great besides something superficial like Venom's design.

I still see nothing here to be impressed with. Not as a movie, or if I was a Venom fan. I'm baffled how some people think this is the perfect depiction of Venom.

But Brock isn't supposed to be a competent reporter. It was his own incompetence that cost him his career in journalism in the comics. Being the weak willed character he is, he blamed Spider-Man, whom he had never even met before and didn't know from Adam. You mentioned the horror element as one of your reasons for this looking great. That's why I highlighted how its superficial since having horror elements doesn't automatically make for a great movie.

Making Brock and Peter Parker childhood buddies or best friends ala USM or SSM, or photographer rivals is what you call changing things up. Divorcing Peter entirely from Brock and the whole origin of the symbiote and Venom is a total overhaul.

tumblr_n2pzwz0ueV1rrkahjo8_250.gif

Making Brock and Peter Parker childhood buddies or best friends ala USM or SSM, or photographer rivals is changing things up. Divorcing Peter entirely from Brock and the whole origin of the symbiote and Venom is a total overhaul.

Ignoring whether this movie needs to exist or not, they had 2 choices: elude to Spider-Man in some type of flashback and drop a bunch of boring exposition, or remove Spider-Man altogether and forge a new path. For this movie, that was probably the better narrative decision, especially given we don't know if Marvel was against putting him the movie, etc.

I honestly don't have a problem with this because this is not a movie about Venom, the villain. It's about Venom the anti-hero, so his hatred of Spider-Man is less key in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"