Venom Sony Revives 'Venom' Solo Movie - Part 4

Blame Sony for wanting iron man in the film. Blame them for taking some of the characters away so they can possibly make a spin off. That was all Sony. And nah. A film based around characters who are supposed to be villains just sounds dumb. Suicide squad did it and that was horrid. So a kraven movie with just him doing whatever with no connection to spidey wouldn’t make sense.

He can always hunt Venom instead of spiderman, I'm not saying making a Kraven movie is a good idea but if they are making it then hunting Venom seems the most logical way to go since there's no spidey.

s-l1000.jpg

See, if anything IMO, Disney/Marvel show more care for/interest in money, in the fact that they don't necessarily care about making incredible, transcendent movies, only movies that are good-decent enough, follow the blueprint, and expand the 'brand.' They/that may be more forward thinking, planned out, ect., but to me it's forward thinking about future revenue and BO. They don't take chances, they don't do anything crazy or original or inspiring. They make good movies, and basically churn out BO guarantees, not unique, artistic film achievements.

This is my main gripe about Marvel. They get all this praise (which they deserve regarding certain things), but it's praise for the wrong things. They essentially get lauded for 'playing it safe,' something Feige has literally admitted to, which I think is an extremely dangerous precedent to set. I'm all for praising them, but not when it comes at the expense of other studios getting slammed for trying to do anything different. I get that these other studios may sometimes make bad movies, but it's usually more from the result of trying to do something new or different or unique, basically trying too hard. And I think that's bad for the industry.

It's why I really hate the 'quick buck' criticism that gets levied on other studios all the time

TASM movies may have been bad, but they really did try to shoot for the stars.. They assembled all-star casts, all star crews, and Hans Zimmer even put together an all-star band for the score/soundtrack for 2. While I personally loved those films, I understand why they're widely hated/disliked, but it wasn't from Sony looking for a 'cash-grab.' It was the result of the creators/filmmakers trying so hard to make something great (you can see the passion in those two movies, esp. from Webb and Garfield) that it just didn't all come together apparently.

Sony has been trying to make this Venom movie for a decade+, so I don't understand how it's a "quick cash grab"

They are making films about an existing ip. You don't experiment with them as people want to see films about the existing ip's and stay true to them.

If you want to create something new, create something new.

They are making films about an existing ip. You don't experiment with them as people want to see films about the existing ip's and stay true to them.

If you want to create something new, create something new.

tumblr_inline_ojqzo4zhqP1uoxva1_400.gif

Obviously you can tweak but it still has to be recognisable.
The audience knew he was going to be peter parker, with spider powers fighting crime etc...

Venom is mostly recognisable as venom from what i've seen. But you can't change things too much otherwise the audience wont feel that what they saw was what was advertised.

BTW, any russians around so we can know what those ppl where saying?
Movie clip:
I'm Eddie Brock. I'm a reporter (more like a journalist). And I've discovered something awful. Then they took me (hard to say what it means... kidnapped? locked away?).

People don't say anything interesting in the vid. Just "wow", "awesome", "incredible", "such a cool guy", "we didn't expect the visit of Tom Hardy" on so on...

Last edited:
Nah I disagree. Not trying to derail the thread but I think TLJ was universally hated.

Well, you’re wrong. It’s a probable fact. Look at the critics reviews. That alone=not universal. Universal implies everyone. At minimum, a large consensus. That doesn’t exist.

No way to argue it, that’s simply a false claim.

So apparently, Venom is in the MCU, based on the rumored cameo Tom Holland supposedly shot.

Well, you’re wrong. It’s a probable fact. Look at the critics reviews. That alone=not universal. Universal implies everyone. At minimum, a large consensus. That doesn’t exist.

No way to argue it, that’s simply a false claim.

Lol I mean I don’t know. You sales are horrible, the GA didn’t love it, the fan base didn’t like it. It’s hsiled as the worst Star Wars film. Seems pretty hated to me. Critics gave it good reviews but the fan reviews were poor.

Lol I mean I don’t know. You sales are horrible, the GA didn’t love it, the fan base didn’t like it. It’s hsiled as the worst Star Wars film. Seems pretty hated to me. Critics gave it good reviews but the fan reviews were poor.

It was one of the highest grossing films of 2018, and it’s the highest selling blue-ray of 2018. So that’s not accurate either. Sorry man, it’s just factually wrong. The film wasn’t anywhere close to universally hated.

There is a contingency of people that don’t like it, but nowhere near a universal opinion. Which is why it was never really the best example to compare to Sony.

The only thing they might share is that I do feel Lucas Film has rushed productions on occasion, so that is somewhat similar, but nowhere near the vein of what Sony has done.

It was one of the highest grossing films of 2018, and it’s the highest selling blue-ray of 2018. So that’s not accurate either. Sorry man, it’s just factually wrong. The film wasn’t anywhere close to universally hated.

There is a contingency of people that don’t like it, but nowhere near a universal opinion. Which is why it was never really the best example to compare to Sony.

The only thing they might share is that I do feel Lucas Film has rushed productions on occasion, so that is somewhat similar, but nowhere near the vein of what Sony has done.

Did you like the movie?

Did you like the movie?

Yep. And I know quite a few people who do. But if you didn’t, that’s perfectly fine. Everyone has different tastes. But something I’ve seen on the hype and in the nerd community for a while, is that when a film doesn’t meet their expectations, they try to play off that no one else liked it...and that’s just not reality.

That happened with TDKR, it happened with Iron Man 3, and people are trying to do it with TLJ now too. Fact is, some people didn’t like these films, and a lot of general audiences enjoyed them.

TLJ made a ton of money, is the best selling blu ray of 2018, and was critically acclaimed. Some fans certainly did not like it, and it was divisive. But claiming it was universally hated is simply ignoring reality. And that is important to note. It’s okay to just say you don’t like something, you don’t have to then try to convince yourself that everyone else shares your opinion. Because honestly, just enjoy or dislike a film for your own reasons.

Count me in on being an Incredible Hulk fan. It's a really solid film and one of the most underrated comic book films IMO. Ed Norton for me is the best Bruce Banner there's been on-screen.

Blame Sony for wanting iron man in the film. Blame them for taking some of the characters away so they can possibly make a spin off. That was all Sony . And nah. A film based around characters who are supposed to be villains just sounds dumb. Suicide squad did it and that was horrid. So a kraven movie with just him doing whatever with no connection to spidey wouldn’t make sense.

:pal:

I genuinely need to know, is this a joke?

I'm sure there are arguments out there to be made for why they might want him, but no, not everything that's divisive or disliked about these new Spidey films can just be automatically pinned on Sony. I'm sorry, but no

Last edited:
:pal:

I genuinely need to know, is this a joke?

I'm sure there are arguments out there to be made for why they might want him, but no, not everything that's divisive or disliked about these new Spidey films can just be automatically pinned on Sony. I'm sorry, but no

Look it up. Sony wanted iron man. They pushed for iron man to be in the forefront . You didn’t know that? Lmao. And most of them can be.... since Sony makes up 85 of the shirt decisions made. Now I don’t agree with a lot of things in homecoming but the whole iron man as peter’s mentor was them trying to get people to watch the movie. So yea

Look it up. Sony wanted iron man. They pushed for iron man to be in the forefront . You didn’t know that? Lmao. And most of them can be.... since Sony makes up 85 of the **** decisions made. Now I don’t agree with a lot of things in homecoming but the whole iron man as peter’s mentor was them trying to get people to watch the movie. So yea

But that started with Civil War. Iron man took him under his wing and for the most part stark seems to be a big part of Spider-man arc now.

They also apparently retconned the little kid in Iron man 2 to be peter parker, almost like they are trying to say he looked up to iron man even as a little child.

If starks dies i wouldn't be surprised if we got the great responsibility line.

Count me in on being an Incredible Hulk fan. It's a really solid film and one of the most underrated comic book films IMO. Ed Norton for me is the best Bruce Banner there's been on-screen.
I just find it funny, folks against Venom, don't see enough similarities here to realize the best case scenario. A villain movie is something alright, but no this isn't really breaking the mold for a cbm.

Other poster was saying a few pages back that Sony had nothing to do with Homecoming's success other than making the deal with Marvel to make the movie for them, but now it turns out that they asked Marvel to put Iron Man in it and make the movie very focused on the MCU. Im not sure what to believe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That is a fairly minor contribution. I'm not against this movie existing, but using they asked for Iron Man to be in it as evidence of them knowing how to handle the property is weak sauce. That just means they know how to ask Marvel for a popular character to be in their movie.

Homecoming is very consistent with the MCU as a whole, so it's not a stretch to assume that most of the creative contributions to the film come from Marvel Studios. Sony made the deal with Marvel and obviously had a say in what happened, nobody here is denying that. But the Sony fingerprint isn't there like with the Amazing Spider-Man films.

It's clear that the Sony fingerprint is all over this Venom film, and it's not looking good. Of course I could be wrong and the movie may turn out well, but I don't see it happening.

That is a fairly minor contribution. I'm not against this movie existing, but using they asked for Iron Man to be in it as evidence of them knowing how to handle the property is weak sauce. That just means they know how to ask Marvel for a popular character to be in their movie.

Homecoming is very consistent with the MCU as a whole, so it's not a stretch to assume that most of the creative contributions to the film come from Marvel Studios. Sony made the deal with Marvel and obviously had a say in what happened, nobody here is denying that. But the Sony fingerprint isn't there like with the Amazing Spider-Man films.

It's clear that the Sony fingerprint is all over this Venom film, and it's not looking good. Of course I could be wrong and the movie may turn out well, but I don't see it happening.
Was this ever discussed?
Sony contributed more to ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ than you think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"