Sequels Sony Revives 'Venom' Solo Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avi Arad has been the conductor of the Venom train for quite some time

I don't see this working without spider-man though, especially when he wont even exist in the venom universe

Agreed. Although Venom solo movie still not good idea even if it was connected to Spider-Man universe.

Yeah Venom's history is connected to Spidey's that seems impossible to make a good venom movie without tying it into Spidey.

Also which Venom would be the star of this film. I think Flash Thompson makes for a better protagonist then Brock would. But both Brock and Thompson are fundamentalist connected to Spidey.

Who would be the villain or the supporting cast? Brock's arch enemy is Carnage, while Thompson's is Crime Master and Jack O'Lantern. I'm not sure who Brock's supporting cast would be, but Thompson's supporting cast is connected with Spidey.

Flash Thompson is much better Venom than Brock. So is Mac Gargan.

I have seen versions of Brock (Ultimate, many of the animated versions) that are competent antagonists, but I have never seen a good protagonist version of Brock. Flash is a better anti hero then Brock.

Who would be the villain? The big Venom villains I can think of are Carnage and Crime Master/Jack O'Lantern.

Last edited:
This makes no sense in the fact that Marvel and Sony have access to use the Spiderman and MCU characters in all of their films. This is the stupidest idea Sony could have possibly come up with.

I wonder if Sony will start the movie or franchise with their version of Spidey, ala the two different Quicksilvers, and go from there? Even the most novice comic book fans (which seems to be just about everyone at Sony) has to understand that Venom's genesis comes from his displaced anger at Spidey. Even if it's just a flashback montage or narrative like in "The Last Temptation of Eddie Brock", Peter has to be there somewhere.

Then again, if Sony goes with the bland Agent Venom, they only need to make Flash out to be a Spidey fanboy. I read the Flash run in the latest Venom series and something tells me that an adaptation of that would play like the '04 Punisher movie. Yikes :barf:.

You could easily make Eddie the protagonist of this kind of film and retain most of his traditional characterization by transferring his rivalry with Spider-Man and Peter Parker to another character and by not explaining the origin of the symbiote beyond it being alien in nature and full of aggression.

If it's an Eddie movie they could always adapt Lethal Protector. Granted, since we don't know how much "has nothing to do with MCU Spider-Man" means alltogether.

Hoe was Mac Gargan a better Venom though? I always liked him as Venom, didn't see much difference between Eddie and Gargan when they we're Venom.

Any of the symbiote hosts could be compelling if written well.

A venom movie without Spider-man will crash and burn. I say this with confidence because if they are going to move forward with this ridiculous idea, they clearly didn't learn a thing from their past failures. I wonder how many Coldplay/Phillip Phillips montages there will be?

People need to stop worrying, after all Catwoman and Steel did fine....

:o

A venom movie without Spider-man will crash and burn. I say this with confidence because if they are going to move forward with this ridiculous idea, they clearly didn't learn a thing from their past failures. I wonder how many Coldplay/Phillip Phillips montages there will be?
:up:

I wonder if Sony will start the movie or franchise with their version of Spidey, ala the two different Quicksilvers, and go from there? Even the most novice comic book fans (which seems to be just about everyone at Sony) has to understand that Venom's genesis comes from his displaced anger at Spidey. Even if it's just a flashback montage or narrative like in "The Last Temptation of Eddie Brock", Peter has to be there somewhere.

Dylan O'Brien for Spider-Man! :o

Agreed. Although Venom solo movie still not good idea even if it was connected to Spider-Man universe.

It especially doesn't work right now connected to the current SM universe. There would be no setup, which would make it all confusing.

What are they thinking? So they will have a spiderman universe which is part of the mcu and a separate venom universe? Do they want to confuse the audience and turn them against the film? Could they use the daily bugle in both but have jj played by two different actors? It is just the stupidest idea i've heard.

The best bet for them is to let the MCU Spider-Man go for awhile then introduce Eddie Brock/Venom in a future movie, then think about a spin-off that's set in the same universe.

Dylan O'Brien for Spider-Man! :o

post-59-0-46264100-1440432629.gif

:o

This just reeks of Avi Arad trying to convince Sony they can have their own Deadpool type franchise.

I don't think this movie will happen.

Would Josh Trank agree to take this on? Or would Sony want Trank?

And if not, how about Tommy Wiseau to direct?

Venom solo movie? Not a bad idea.

Venom solo movie without Spider-man? A terrible idea.

Venom solo movie without Spider-man, in the midst of a reboot, with NO connection to the MCU? *Foams at the mouth and convulses on floor.*

After establishing Venom in a previous Spider-man movie, you could very well do a solo movie. The problem is with the little details they've released show they're already on a doomed path.

I love Eddie and I love Flash, they're both interesting characters in different ways, but neither will work WITHOUT Spider-man. If you look, Flash has been getting a big push in the last few years, appearing in various media properties and merchandise.

They probably would be going with Flash's agent Venom, but here's the problem;

-Without Spidey, there's no redemption angle with Flash, moving past being a bully and accepting his slew of character flaws and the beautiful paradoxical love of Spidey, but bullying of Pete

-Without Spidey there is no admiration to emulate him thus influencing his look

-Without Spidey you don't have a reason for the symbiote to look and function the way it does and why it would be on Earth

-Without Brock you don't have the duality of Flash wanting to be a hero, but having the symbiote struggle with the negative emotions it's come to embody over the years

-Without Brock you don't have his name. Venom came from his hatred of Spidey

If you plop a random wounded vet in a governmental project that utilizes a symbiote you're not getting Agent Venom. The success of Agent Venom comes from him being Flash Thompson. Flash Thompson cannot be done without his connection to Pete.

Now Hollywood in the past when adapting things has been able to dance around rights issues, over complex story arcs and plot problems by way of combining characters or restructuring events...problem is if you're going to adapt a character and the VAST MAJORITY of their existence needs to be re-tooled, it's not worth it.

Brock, in my opinion is a really interesting character. His move from son wanting his father's attention to ambitious journalist at the Globe to villain, to anti-hero, to redemptive hero has long interested me even if others hate the non-villain aspects of his character.

For me the ideal method would be to take on his progression over the years and show that growth on film, the problem is Arad is NOT patient and wants to just show an inky monster with teeth on screen and reap the rewards. He could care less who's under the suit and where they've come from.

You want to do Venom right? You introduce Brock in the supporting cast, grow him and then have the symbiote attach to him to make Venom, then follow his rise and fall and rise again in his own spin off series.

You cannot just dump Venom, Brock and the symbiote in ONE movie and expect it all to solidify.

I'm really not looking forward to this film. If it was anyone else the helm I'd be more than optimistic since Spidey's got a new lease on life...unfortunately already out the gate this has slipped on cow plop and twisted it's ankle....

Good argument but they clearly don't care and will give some lame "keeping the spirit of the comics" excuse.

I've always been a proponent of a Venom spin-off. But I have no trust in the studio to do it justice at this point.

I need to see 2-3 good Spider-Man films in a row before they gain that trust.

What if this does to Venom what the Ghost Rider and Fantastic Four films did to other Marvel IP? Marvel got Hulk and Daredevil back on track and they're just now trying to redeem Elektra and Punisher. This could really hurt Venom's value in other media for years to come.

What if this does to Venom what the Ghost Rider and Fantastic Four films did to other Marvel IP? Marvel got Hulk and Daredevil back on track and they're just now trying to redeem Elektra and Punisher. This could really hurt Venom's value in other media for years to come.

Some Spider-Man fans probably consider that a positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"