Sony Spin-Off Sony's Spider-Man Universe is now the official title for Sony's own Marvel Cinematic Universe

XtremelyBaneful

xoxxxoooxo
Reaction score
Sony's SMU, or SSMU I guess we can abbreviate it as, used to be Sony Picture's Universe of Marvel Characters. This news comes on day after the Spider-Man: No Way Home trailer was officially revealed.

A couple of takeaways here:
  • Venom is still the first official installment of the SSMU.
  • The Morbius trailer had a cameo by Michael Keaton in the exact same prison outfit he was in at the end of Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • The Morbius trailer also had a poster on the wall of Spider-Man with "murderer" vandalized on top of it. Notably the suit in the poster is of Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man and the image itself used is from the Ps4 game
  • The first Venom: Let There be Carnage trailer had a Daily Bugle newspaper with the same logo used in Tobey Maguire's films
  • The Let There Be Carnage trailer also had a scene of Cletus Kasady smacking a spider on a seemingly prison surface
  • JK Simmons will reportedly reprise his role as J. Jonah Jameson in Let There Be Carnage
  • Sanford Panitch said "there is a plan" to connect Sony's Marvel films with Disney's MCU films
  • Collider and Tom Holland said NwH is the final film in the 2019 Sony/Disney contract, but Variety reported that that contract includes Spider-Man in one more Marvel Studios film
  • Kevin Feige also said in 2019 after the renegotiation that "...[Spider-Man] also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes..."
Relevant sources:

Venom: Let There Be Carnage
Spider-Man: Sony Has 'Plan' to Link with Other Marvel Films, Says Exec - Variety
Sony Reveals Official Universe Title for Non-MCU Marvel Films
Spider-Man Staying in Marvel Cinematic Universe - Variety

They should have just called it Spider-Verse.
I think that will be in the title of a movie eventually (it already has been) so it would be confusing. I think the best name would just be the Spider-Man Cinematic Universe. SMCU.

damn, they announced dates but they didn't even announce the projects?
Yeah just like Marvel Studios. But Venom 3 is a no brainier. They are probably keeping it secret since Morbius isn't out yet and who knows how is that movie going to perform.

Good. I always thought SSU was the best name for it if they were gonna have one

Good. I always thought SSU was the best name for it if they were gonna have one
Hmmm they probably should have called it VenomVerse (VV). Especially Spider-Man hasn't even appeared in any of the films..

it does seem to be hinting at the fact that we'll met a Spider-man in this Universe soon

But Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters is so much more catchier!

How about Sony Pictures Inter-Dimensional Entertainment Reaching Marvel Audiences Nationwide?

I don't even know if I should try to defend a poorly landed joke from nearly a year ago, but...

I was being sarcastic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"