Source Material Deviations

N_z0 said:
well you never know with the internet. Sorry. I suspect cap was wondering that as well, about it being sarcastically said or not.
very grim we are indeed on these x-men boards. :marv:

well a deviation could be the looks of the entire cast, and the fact they dun wear those oclorful costumes. Also their not traveling through space, and not gonna fight the shiar on the moon. Lets not forget about the alien stuff, and emperor D'KAN and the EMCRON Crystal stuff.

chaseter said:
True...but how would they explain that in a non confusing manner to the general public? That Jugg's intestines are now laced with concrete.

I guess they'd have to explain why phasing is "dangerous" earlier in the movie somehow... or just trust/hope that people understand it (like they did with cyke's optic blasts).

weatherwitch said:
Like X1 and X2 weren't abuses of the source material? Come on. Rogue: a scared, teenage, southern belle who's taken in by frikkin' Wolverine. Riiiiiiight. That's not a severe deviation from her comic counterpart at all. :rolleyes: Storm: a frightened, weak powered woman afraid of humans. Mmmhm. Yup, just like I remember her from the comics. Scott: Taking a backseat to Wolverine in plaid pants and lowered eyes. Yeah, right. Mystique not being recogniozed as Nightcrawlers mother. Mmmmkay. Angel: Not part of the original 5. WTF? Iceman a kid with a thing for Rogue? Sure, sure. A cheap cameo of Hank McCoy as opposed to including Beast as a member of the team. Yeah that fits. The shallowness of the Epic Wolverine/Sabertooth rivalry. Do I need to keep going? Because I have lots more.

Movies deviate from the source material. It happens ALL the time.

True and they were all shortcoming yet manageable. Let hope that's the case with x-3.

Finally the thread of that other thread gets changed...as opposed to locked down? meh.

Callisto - since when does she have super speed?

Eros said:
well a deviation could be the looks of the entire cast, and the fact they dun wear those oclorful costumes. Also their not traveling through space, and not gonna fight the shiar on the moon. Lets not forget about the alien stuff, and emperor D'KAN and the EMCRON Crystal stuff.

Heh. Well, a lot of that stuff came later. You could always get into it much later in the movies. There's a difference between not reaching a certain subject and directly contradicting it.

they should have thrown in a scene where Angel is captured by the Brotherhood and Callisto wants to keep him for her mate. or at the very least a scene where Storm and Callisto fight hand to hand.

xwolverine2 said:
since when has anyone cared about her?:confused: :confused:

:rolleyes:

Where were you when people were complaining about Callisto's look, lack of eyepatch, etc?

As much as it might surprise you people do care about Callisto, or we wouldn't be talking about her.

Dope Nose said:
they should have thrown in a scene where Angel is captured by the Brotherhood and Callisto wants to keep him for her mate. or at the very least a scene where Storm and Callisto fight hand to hand.

So that now Angel gets Cyclops part (Or was it only in the cartoon?)

N_z0 said:
:rolleyes:

Where were you when people were complaining about Callisto's look, lack of eyepatch, etc?

As much as it might surprise you people do care about Callisto, or we wouldn't be talking about her.
before we heard callisto was in the movie...

NOT ONE PERSON EVER said "i wish callisto was in the movie" or at least even mention her......along with stacy-x/arclight

Dope Nose said:

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

I'm fine with how Angel's portrayed (although I wish he'd have more scenes).

N_z0 said:
Finally the thread of that other thread gets changed...as opposed to locked down? meh.

Probably because even the mods know how dumb people are acting.

WorthyStevens4 said:
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

I'm fine with how Angel's portrayed (although I wish he'd have more scenes).

just meant as a little nod to the source material.

CapBeerCino said:
Why is every thread that might be negative gets close with no explanations yet that stupid thread for "people with brains" stays open?
Because it's okay to insult people when it comes to Cyclops and tell them they have no brains. Didn't you know that?

*kisses Fiery Balrog*

What's going on, wowie? Are you as sick as I am?

CapBeerCino said:
So that now Angel gets Cyclops part (Or was it only in the cartoon?)

yeah, I'm pretty sure that was just in the cartoon. in the comics Callisto kidnapped Warren which led to Storm facing her in hand to hand combat.

Almighty Pejo said:
Because it's okay to insult people when it comes to Cyclops and tell them they have no brains. Didn't you know that?

*kisses Fiery Balrog*

What's going on, wowie? Are you as sick as I am?

Names been changed. What no kisses for me, Pejo? One might think you didn't miss me. :p

well obviously the movie version will be different from the comics....thats a no brainer(lol)

weatherwitch said:
Like X1 and X2 weren't abuses of the source material? Come on. Rogue: a scared, teenage, southern belle who's taken in by frikkin' Wolverine. Riiiiiiight. That's not a severe deviation from her comic counterpart at all. :rolleyes: Storm: a frightened, weak powered woman afraid of humans. Mmmhm. Yup, just like I remember her from the comics. Scott: Taking a backseat to Wolverine in plaid pants and lowered eyes. Yeah, right. Mystique not being recogniozed as Nightcrawlers mother. Mmmmkay. Angel: Not part of the original 5. WTF? Iceman a kid with a thing for Rogue? Sure, sure. A cheap cameo of Hank McCoy as opposed to including Beast as a member of the team. Yeah that fits. The shallowness of the Epic Wolverine/Sabertooth rivalry. Do I need to keep going? Because I have lots more.

Movies deviate from the source material. It happens ALL the time.

I'm not picking on you weatherwitch. I'm just using your examples as they are some of my own for my argument. I agree with you that movies deviate from source material all the time. Here is my reasoning.

The difference for me between the deviations of the first two movies and the third, is that the first two left things perfectly open, whereas the third does not, without doing some major changes. For instance, all of the above bold are debatable.

Scott--takes a backseat to Wolverine (along with every other X-Man) in the entirety of the Marvel universe (blame the fans--Wolverine is featured in every X-title, he has had a couple of his own successful titles, he crosses over into other teams of other Marvel titles) . . . he and Wolverine go at it plenty in the movies . . . of course they aren't going to all out brawl everytime they see each other like they do sometimes in the comics. It is unecessary and hardly makes any sense.

Plaid pants--homage to the comics where he wears plaid pants.

Mystique not being mentioned as Nightcrawler's mother--so what? Just because it wasn't said doesn't mean it's not there. The characters do not need to rattle off their 40+ year history to ensure fans know things they've already read.

Angel not being a part of the original five--completely left open as a possibility after the first two movies, as Angel frequently left the team during the comics . . . the team was pre-established when the audience was first introduced to them, who is to say he wasn't one of the original five--blame X3 for that one (which is an example of it shutting out a possibility).

Iceman a kid thing with Rogue--Iceman was hardly an adult when he first joined the X-Men--he was a kid, the youngest. The Rogue thing, I understand as well as the not being a first member.

A cheap cameo of Hank McCoy--this one is grasping at straws, and can be said for anyone's favorite character. Budget. Budget. Budget--they've been wanting him in it since the first one, and is no different than the cheap cameos in X3.

The shallowness of the Sabretooth/Wolverine rivalry--opinion I guess. They fought twice . . . and the fight cannot last forever. It was the longest fight of the movie--again how epic is it supposed to be for the first movie of an uncertain franchise? Besides, people always say they dislike Wolverine being the center focus, and yet people want more. X-Men did a fine job of establishing Wolverine and Sabretooth as enemies, and left everything open about their past together--all can be done in spin-offs planned from the beginning.

These are the kinds of things that differentiate the first two films for me and X3. All of these things are left open and can be further explored without deviating a whole lot or changing things up to the extent that fans seem horribly outraged (as some seem to be now with things like Cyclops death, etc.)

A cheap cameo of Hank McCoy--this one is grasping at straws, and can be said for anyone's favorite character. Budget. Budget. Budget--they've been wanting him in it since the first one, and is no different than the cheap cameos in X3.
beast is anything but cheap im sorry

xwolverine2 said:
well obviously the movie version will be different from the comics....thats a no brainer(lol)

And yet, it's the ones with no brains doing all the complaining. Ironic, no?

BMM said:
Iceman a kid thing with Rogue--Iceman was hardly an adult when he first joined the X-Men--he was a kid, the youngest. The Rogue thing, I understand as well as the not being a first member.

He was 16, yeah. And as for the Rogue romance, well, Ultimate X-Men has that, although I'm not sure if they did that AFTER the movie or BEFORE...

xwolverine2 said:
beast is anything but cheap im sorry

Unless you are responding to weatherwitch's previous post, no one is saying that Beast's role in X3 is cheap. I'm simply referring to his cameo in X2, which I don't think is cheap (which is what my whole post is all about)--certainly not cheaper than any other cameo in any other movie, especially since they've been trying to get the character in since X-Men, but couldn't due to lack of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"