Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Thread Manager, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]263084[/split]

2. Ice-man

Ice-man Well-Known Member

[SIZE=+1]U.S. Planning Base on Moon To Prepare for Trip to Mars[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]

by Guy Gugliotta
    [​IMG]

HOUSTON -- For the first time since 1972, the United States is planning to fly to the moon, but instead of a quick, Apollo-like visit, astronauts intend to build a permanent base and live there while they prepare what may be the most ambitious undertaking in history -- putting human beings on Mars.

President Bush in 2004 announced to great fanfare plans to build a new spaceship, get back to the moon by 2020 and travel on to Mars after that. But, with NASA focused on designing a new spaceship and spending about 40 percent of its budget on the troubled space shuttle and international space station programs, that timetable may suffer.
    Still, NASA's moon planners are closely following the spaceship initiative and, within six months, will outline what they need from the new vehicle to enable astronauts to explore the lunar surface.

"It's deep in the future before we go there," said architect Larry Toups, head of habitation systems for NASA's Advanced Projects Office. "But it's like going on a camping trip and buying a new car. You want to make sure you have a trailer hitch if you need it."
    Scientists and engineers are hard at work studying technologies that don't yet exist and puzzling over questions such as how to handle the psychological stress of moon settlement, how to build lunar bulldozers and how to reacquire what planetary scientist Christopher P. McKay of NASA's Ames Research Center calls "our culture of exploration."

The moon is not for the faint of heart. It is a lethal place, without atmosphere, pelted constantly by cosmic rays and micrometeorites, plagued by temperature swings of hundreds of degrees, and swathed in a blanket of dust that can ruin space suits, pollute the air supply and bring machinery to a screeching halt.
    And that says nothing about the imponderables. Will working in one-sixth of Earth's gravity for a year cause crippling health problems? What happens when someone suffers from a traumatic injury that can't be treated by fellow astronauts? How do people react to living in a tiny space under dangerous conditions for six months?
    "It's like Magellan. You send them off, and maybe they come back, maybe they don't," said planetary scientist Wendell W. Mendell, manager of NASA's Office for Human Exploration Science, during an interview at the recently concluded Lunar and Planetary Science Conference here. "There's a lot of pathologies that show up, and there's nobody in the Yellow Pages."

In some ways, the moon will be harder than Mars. Moon dust is much more abrasive than Mars dust; Mars has atmosphere; Mars has more gravity (one-third of Earth's); Mars has plenty of ice for a potential water supply, while the moon may have some, but probably not very much.

[/SIZE]

3. Venom'sDad

Venom'sDad Enter The Sym

It took two months over 7yrs for this thread to get a "part 1". Amazing?!?

4. Bim

Bim Well-Known Member

It makes a lot of sense to build a base on the moon. I honestly dont know why it's taken this long, it should have been the first step after getting there imo.

I see this is from february 28, but i dont remember reading it. Very interesting! http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/26/tech/innovation/nasa-new-planets/

5. :eek:

:eek: Well-Known Member

6. NickNitro

NickNitro Extra Terrestrial

I too think Moon Bases are ideal. It will get people used to living on another "planet" at least and take our first baby steps to inter stellar travel and colonization.

I just really hope we can come together as nations and co exist on these other rocks. Not like we are here. Its funny how once we get into space a lot of politics seem to disappear. International space stations work harmoniously together for the greater good.

I truly think space exploration is humanities one chance to become one entity achieving one common gaol and not divided like we have become on Earth.

7. Venom'sDad

Venom'sDad Enter The Sym

There is no practical way to build a moon base with proper shielding.

8. NickNitro

You're not a practical way to build a moon base with proper shielding!

There I told him guys.

9. Alex_Spider

Alex_Spider Well-Known Member

I agree. Now, just think if we applied the knowledge of space exploration and how astronauts work together to have a successful mission, into our way of life here in this planet.
    If astronauts can achieve those wonderful things out there, with limited recourses and so far away from home, imagine what we could achieve in this planet that has everything we need in the palm of our hand.
    Oh well, I should have become an astronaut. Up there they don't use money nor they care about building animal slaughter houses :o

10. childeroland

childeroland Well-Known Member

NASA says it may have new evidence of the seeds of black holes

11. Mondragon

Not any big discovery or anything new, but just for fun -

http://earthsky.org/tonight/mars-at-opposition-out-from-sundown-until-sunup-on-april-8
    Mars at opposition tonight - April 8.

Earth in its smaller, faster orbit passes in between the sun and red planet Mars. Our motion in orbit places Mars opposite the sun as seen in our sky, making it easy to see with the unaided eye.

It should already be visible to most tonight -

Where and when to see - http://earthsky.org/tonight/mars-at-opposition-out-from-sundown-until-sunup-on-april-8#how

[​IMG]

12. Morg

Morg Super Moderator

13. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

I'd hate to clean the diapers of that baby even more.

14. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Well-Known Member

it occurs to me I should have posted it here but I posted the article in the scientifc discovery thread. We have found an earth like planet in another solar system. Bounce on over there if you wanna read about and check out the links!

15. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

That explains why it was so damn bright and red last night. I can usually spot Mars if I look for it, but last night it actually caught my attention. I was just scanning the sky and Bam! There it was.

16. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

Ya it looked cool next to the blood moon a few nights ago

17. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

Here is a really cool theory and interesting read if you have a couple minutes to spare. It's too long for me to quote the whole article and there are lots of links and such you can use to delve deeper into it as well but this is a taste of it:

Here is the link:

http://io9.com/whats-the-purpose-of-the-universe-heres-one-possible-a-1564636270

18. Superwoman Prime

Superwoman Prime Damaged Beyond Repair

Survival of the fittest universe? Sounds like COIE.

19. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

The First Known Binary Supermassive Black Hole In An Ordinary Galaxy

[​IMG]

http://sci.esa.int/xmm-newton/53980-unique-pair-of-hidden-black-holes-discovered-by-xmm-newton/

Well this is big news

20. NickNitro

"because they ripped apart a star" is it just me or is that not the most badass line ever.

21. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

Depends on the star. If it's some washed up 80's star like Scott Baio, who cares? If it's someone like Jennifer Lawrence, there's hell to pay.

22. NickNitro

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. NickNitro

Mission to Mars is necessary for ‘survival of human race’

[​IMG]

A manned mission to Mars is necessary for our ‘species to survive’, says Nasa chief Charles Bolden as he plots a three-step plan to land humans on the red planet by 2030.

To achieve this stellar ambition, Mr Bolden, head of the US space programme and a veteran space shuttle pilot, outlined a series of ‘stepping stones’ to Mars that include ‘lassoing’ an asteroid and bringing it into the Moon’s orbit by 2015, growing plants in space and using 3D printers for onboard repairs.

These steps in advance of a three-year return trip to the red planet would not only bring scientists new samples from outer space but would provide a valuable testing ground for key technologies necessary for manned missions.

Speaking at the Humans to Mars summit, Mr Bolden told The Times: ‘If this species is to survive indefinitely we need to become a multi-planet species. We need to go to Mars, and Mars is a stepping stone to other solar systems.’

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/23/mission-to-mars-is-necessary-for-survival-of-human-race-4706507/

24. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

The universe is such a badass mother****er!

25. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

Hubble photos capture the formation of planetary systems

[​IMG]

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/apri...y-disks-in-nasas-hubble-archive/#.U1m7YF5vmi0

It's amazing that after all this time Hubble is still able to blow our collective minds