Comics Spectacular Spider-Man: New Creative Team incoming. :(

Ben_Reilly

Civilian
Reaction score
New creative team announced for Spectacular Spider-Man

Sean Ryan is the new writer and the new artist is Juan Frigeri

I've never heard of these guys before. Have any of you?

Issue 310 will be Chip's last. Issue 311 will start the new team.

I'll be sad to see Chip go. I initially didn't like the book, but it quickly became one of my favourite runs.

Last edited:
Rumor from Bleeding Cool is the book just relaunches soon again with Chip.

Seems like it's just a tie-in story and then relaunch.

That's a shame if it's true. Honestly, I've only read two or three issues of the comic since the team took over, but Chip seems to understand Peter's voice, and Adam Kubert draws an awesome Spidey! I enjoyed what I saw from him. He did the intitial Renew Your Vows mini, and I was thrilled to see him back on Spidey.

Hoping they bring them back for the 20th relaunch or whatever (jaded, so slightly by relaunches).

Wow, I’m just finding this out now! Been behind the past couple of months but I’m all caught up. There were some rocky issues in the beginning but it definitely grew on me. I thought AMAZING FANTASY was one of the coolest comics I read this year with one of the coolest beats. Sad to see Chip and Kubert go...

Also, just realized it’s been a year since this book debuted. It’s been a LONG time since I’ve kept up with a comic this long.

Sad, Chip confirmed he's leaving Spectacular. His last issue is the one he's writing and drawing.

Last edited:
Damn. He say what he’s doing next? How about Kubert?

Well, I just read the last issue of Zdarsky's run. Wow. Beautifully done issue. One of my fave Spidey issues ever. If you love Spidey, go buy it. Like...now. If you read it and don't love it, then I can't imagine you "get" Spidey. This was very much a modern day "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man", and that's as good as I can describe it. No disrespect to Dan Slott, but this is the emotional high he was reaching for in his final ASM issue. Chip got there.

Well, I just read the last issue of Zdarsky's run. Wow. Beautifully done issue. One of my fave Spidey issues ever. If you love Spidey, go buy it. Like...now. If you read it and don't love it, then I can't imagine you "get" Spidey. This was very much a modern day "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man", and that's as good as I can describe it. No disrespect to Dan Slott, but this is the emotional high he was reaching for in his final ASM issue. Chip got there.

Well, you've sold me on picking it up. What is the issue title and number?

Spectacular Spider-Man #310. Also, Chip did the artwork as well, which is intimidating to me as an artist to see someone who just crushed it all the way around the way he did.

I would honestly be surprised if you didn't like it. You literally need to know NOTHING about his entire run to read it.

I wrote about this in the other thread! Forgot there was this one -___-

It's an AWESOME issue and I don't remember feeling the way I did about a Spidey issue in a while. Beautiful. Curious your thoughts!

Aloha,
Spidey books are slowly getting their groove back. I can remember when there were 4 titles out at the same time. Some where stand alone but even then there was a flow to all things Spidey. I enjoyed issue #310. Sorry to see Chip go.I don't think there is the same long term assignments to writers and artist on books like there used to be. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. If a writer or artist is really knocking it out of the park. let them stay in the game. Just don't leave them on the book forever like they did Slott.

Spidey rules

Aloha,
Spidey books are slowly getting their groove back. I can remember when there were 4 titles out at the same time. Some where stand alone but even then there was a flow to all things Spidey. I enjoyed issue #310. Sorry to see Chip go.I don't think there is the same long term assignments to writers and artist on books like there used to be. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. If a writer or artist is really knocking it out of the park. let them stay in the game. Just don't leave them on the book forever like they did Slott.

Spidey rules

Yeah, it kind of makes me sad. Maybe we all just get nostalgic for things to return to the era where we started reading. Me, I started reading in /91, so there were 4 decidedly different flavors of Spidey to read. Amazing was being done by Michelinie and Larsen, and it was so much fun! New villains, Big stories, one and done stories, good times! Spider-man was being done by McFarlane, and it basically inspired an entire generation of future comic artists (myself included). I remember trying to draw like McFarlane and Larsen every time 11 year old me picked up a pencil! Then you had Spectacular, which was doing Harry's turn to the Goblin...and it was so dark and awesome...but it gave so much reverence to the past!! More than anything, it was SSM that got me to want to go back and read the old stuff! Then you had Web, which was probably the lesser of the books, but was not bad by any means! Alex Saviuk continued to draw the Spider-man comic strip long after Web ended! He may still draw it. I'm not sure if it still continues. Either way, that's a testament.

Sorry. I had a point. That being that, the creative teams on those books stayed consistent and you didn't have a jarring change in tone, except on Spider-Man when McFarlane left. Larsen took over, which was awesome, but then it became the weakest of the lot. Rotating creative teams with inconsistent artists, haphazard stories, and some that made you really think the title served no purpose...which it didn't. It was a book created for a creator who left it after 16 issues, one of which had to be a fill-in issue (no fault of his own, he was injured in a baseball accident).

Look at the quality of the stuff back then, though! 4 good Spidey titles! All on time.

I wish Mr. Zdarsky the best of luck in wherever he goes from here. The Spidey books will be poorer without him, that's for sure!

It's an AWESOME issue and I don't remember feeling the way I did about a Spidey issue in a while. Beautiful. Curious your thoughts!

Shinlyle, thank you so much for suggesting SSM...it was so damn good and I probably wouldn't have even thought to read it if you hadn't said something. I only read the first couple of issues of Chip's SSM run and was turned off. Those first few issues were not at all good, imo. But I'm wondering if I should pick up the rest of his run after reading that final issue of his.

But yeah, that was amazing. This is what you get when you take someone that truly loves the character of Spider-Man, understands the character and knows what makes him special and is a capable writer. Chip did so well on that one issue and I totally got the Kid Who Collects Spider-Man vibe but it was its own thing. Really simple but honest, endearing and true to the core. I only wish the art was better. I'm not knocking Chip for what he drew...it was good, it matched the simple lines of the story but I really think some better artwork would have made the issue shine a little more. I would have loved to see Kubert's take on it.

And yes, this is what I suspect Slott was attempting to do with his last issue but ultimately failed. It's because he doesn't truly 'get' Spider-Man. I'm not even sure that he actually loves the character of Spider-Man, tbh. And of course while Slott does pose some interesting ideas for stories at times, he is a horrible writer and can't execute said stories with any sort of remarkable craftsmanship. Zdarsky put Slott back in the wood shed.

Shinlyle, thank you so much for suggesting SSM...it was so damn good and I probably wouldn't have even thought to read it if you hadn't said something. I only read the first couple of issues of Chip's SSM run and was turned off. Those first few issues were not at all good, imo. But I'm wondering if I should pick up the rest of his run after reading that final issue of his.

But yeah, that was amazing. This is what you get when you take someone that truly loves the character of Spider-Man, understands the character and knows what makes him special and is a capable writer. Chip did so well on that one issue and I totally got the Kid Who Collects Spider-Man vibe but it was its own thing. Really simple but honest, endearing and true to the core. I only wish the art was better. I'm not knocking Chip for what he drew...it was good, it matched the simple lines of the story but I really think some better artwork would have made the issue shine a little more. I would have loved to see Kubert's take on it.

And yes, this is what I suspect Slott was attempting to do with his last issue but ultimately failed. It's because he doesn't truly 'get' Spider-Man. I'm not even sure that he actually loves the character of Spider-Man, tbh. And of course while Slott does pose some interesting ideas for stories at times, he is a horrible writer and can't execute said stories with any sort of remarkable craftsmanship. Zdarsky put Slott back in the wood shed.

You're welcome, man! Yeah, I only read a few of Chip's SSM run, but I LOVED what I read! I read the issue where he revealed his ID to JJJ, issue 300, and this one. I think I may look for the rest of the issues, though. The guy has Peter's voice NAILED. I think the beginning may have been soured by its inclusion to the "worldwide" stuff Slott was doing, which may have been my least favorite direction for the character in awhile. His writing reminds me of Paul Jenkins in his lighter issues, but better.

Definitely enjoyed it, and I'm glad you did too.

Wow. So, it looks like Zdarsky's leaving was the end for Spectacular Spider-Man. Looks like it's being cancelled in favor of the "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" title launch (with a new #1, of course) in January.

OLD MAN RANT WARNING

Why can't we just go back to the good ol' days?! Give us 4 monthly Spider-Man titles! Amazing, Spectacular, Wed, and Adjectiveless?! You could have one book focus on Miles, one focus on Spider-Man and his classic rogues, one could be for stupid events or Marvel Universe tie-ins, and One could be a creator-feature/anthology title where we get a rotating showcase of artists and writers to allow for a change of pace for those always looking for new Spidey-Flavor!!

Ahem.

Just a suggestion.

^ Aw man. What's the last SSM issue, then? I enjoyed last week's smash-and-grab issue / GEDDON tie-in.

^ Aw man. What's the last SSM issue, then? I enjoyed last week's smash-and-grab issue / GEDDON tie-in.
I think 312 or 313 is the last issue. I know the last issue comes out in December, which is a little over a month away. Well, initially, Friendly only went on for about 20 or so issues...so it needs to last for a few years before we get some kind of "LEGACY RENUMBERING 100th MILESTONE ISSUE" of any sort.

(just leave the numbers alone, guys...seriously.)

Yeah, it kind of makes me sad. Maybe we all just get nostalgic for things to return to the era where we started reading. Me, I started reading in /91, so there were 4 decidedly different flavors of Spidey to read. Amazing was being done by Michelinie and Larsen, and it was so much fun! New villains, Big stories, one and done stories, good times! Spider-man was being done by McFarlane, and it basically inspired an entire generation of future comic artists (myself included). I remember trying to draw like McFarlane and Larsen every time 11 year old me picked up a pencil! Then you had Spectacular, which was doing Harry's turn to the Goblin...and it was so dark and awesome...but it gave so much reverence to the past!! More than anything, it was SSM that got me to want to go back and read the old stuff! Then you had Web, which was probably the lesser of the books, but was not bad by any means! Alex Saviuk continued to draw the Spider-man comic strip long after Web ended! He may still draw it. I'm not sure if it still continues. Either way, that's a testament.

Sorry. I had a point. That being that, the creative teams on those books stayed consistent and you didn't have a jarring change in tone, except on Spider-Man when McFarlane left. Larsen took over, which was awesome, but then it became the weakest of the lot. Rotating creative teams with inconsistent artists, haphazard stories, and some that made you really think the title served no purpose...which it didn't. It was a book created for a creator who left it after 16 issues, one of which had to be a fill-in issue (no fault of his own, he was injured in a baseball accident).

Look at the quality of the stuff back then, though! 4 good Spidey titles! All on time.

I wish Mr. Zdarsky the best of luck in wherever he goes from here. The Spidey books will be poorer without him, that's for sure!

Adjectiveless had Larsen for 6 issues. Issue 44 saw Howard Mackie and Tom Lyle take over. Lyle drew the book until issue 61. I loved the Spider titles at this point. You had Lyle, Bagley, Buscema, and Saviuk doing the 4 main titles and Ron Lim doing Unlimited. To me that was an all star team. I loved the Larsen and McFarland stuff, but during that Maximum Carnage/Clone Saga era, the art was pretty solid all around.

Adjectiveless had Larsen for 6 issues. Issue 44 saw Howard Mackie and Tom Lyle take over. Lyle drew the book until issue 61. I loved the Spider titles at this point. You had Lyle, Bagley, Buscema, and Saviuk doing the 4 main titles and Ron Lim doing Unlimited. To me that was an all star team. I loved the Larsen and McFarland stuff, but during that Maximum Carnage/Clone Saga era, the art was pretty solid all around.
Yeah, the Larsen Sinister Six issues (as well as his fill-in issue #15) were awesome. I miss the consistency of the books then. Also, yeah, Ron Lim's run on Unlimited was pretty good. Sure, it was just quarterly, but all the unlimited series were pretty solid. Midnight Sons was even awesome.

#311 and #312 I enjoyed. No HUGE developments but the smash and grab quality is fun and intense. Is it bad that I’ve enjoyed these past issues than the last SPIDER-GEDDON issue?

#311 and #312 I enjoyed. No HUGE developments but the smash and grab quality is fun and intense. Is it bad that I’ve enjoyed these past issues than the last SPIDER-GEDDON issue?
I could see that. I may have to pick these up. I love the Spidey/Morlun slugfests, even if none have touched the heights of that first bout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"