Sequels [Speculation] MCU's X-Men

Silver Surfer

Power Cosmic
Reaction score
http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/disney-fox-sale-talks-comcast-1202628942/

With talks heating up between Fox and Disney a decision could come as soon as the end of the month.

How does the MCU introduce the X-Men? Write them in after Avengers 4? Do a Infinity Gauntlet caused mass reboot? Pretend like they were in hiding all this time and have come out to fight Thanos in A4?

I think the best way to go would be the Spidey route, introduce Wolverine in Avengers 4, and then expand it to the X-Men in a Phase 4 movie.

I dont see X-Men in the MCU. I cant imagine to make that their whole universe gets included. And Fox starts Universe-Version 1.3 with Dark Pheonix already...

I'd rather have a mutant verse. We just haven't seen an alternate universe set in the MCU, and this would be the right time to do it and makes the Avengers cross over a bit more special and unique. Gotg is in outer space, the solo heroes/F4 are in Earth and the X-Men are from an alternate universe.

And please if they make X-Men team films, I don't need Iron Man or any of the Avengers as a supporting character and appearing in posters. Save those for the Avengers films or Secret Wars.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/disney-fox-sale-talks-comcast-1202628942/

With talks heating up between Fox and Disney a decision could come as soon as the end of the month.

How does the MCU introduce the X-Men? Write them in after Avengers 4? Do a Infinity Gauntlet caused mass reboot? Pretend like they were in hiding all this time and have come out to fight Thanos in A4?

I think the best way to go would be the Spidey route, introduce Wolverine in Avengers 4, and then expand it to the X-Men in a Phase 4 movie.

completly rebooted with mutants being introuduced in mcu post avenger whatever.

It will probably happen after Avengers 4 but I wouldn’t be surprised by a post credit scene in that film related to either F4 or X-Men as a tease for the future.

The rumored post-credit of Fant4stic. Doom discovers there are other worlds.

Only way it can work is if X-Men exist in their own universe.

Otherwise there is no seamless way to explain how Mutants have always existed in the MCU but no one every mentioned them.

Eh, they could just say that mutants are a relatively new thing in the MCU, and that only a few of them have been around for more than a couple of decades (Logan, Charles, Erik). Introduce all the other ones as young people who have only recently discovered their powers, or have been in hiding.

You either would have to say the mutant gene is really rare or minimize the mutant population greatly.

If you look at the wider picture of the MCU then you have many movies under its belt as they head to phase 4 and you also have the tv shows and I guess maybe whatever Sony wants to do with their spin offs that may fit in I guess.

A lot of these projects have never shown signs of mutants existing, even inhumans makes themselves sound unique to the universe.

It depends on how large the Mutant worldwide population is, in the comics it has ranged from a few hundred to at least 16 million. If they keep the population low (but indicate that they are seeing an increase in Mutants) it would not be hard to explain how the Mutant population has been able to keep itself hidden. There is no need to have a huge population and in the comics every time a writer has had the population suddenly increase massively it has usually been followed by a mass depopulation like M-Day, the sentinel attack on Genosha, Legacy Virus, Zero Tolerance etc.

If you have a small current population it becomes more that the Mutant population with the help of others in the MCU (like Fury who has been shown to keep a lot of secrets) have not so much hidden Mutants as hidden that some of the powered individuals around in the MCU are Mutants. Their gifts are written off as being due to radiation, weird chemicals, etc rather than their own DNA.

Well, ideally the mutant population would grow as the series goes on. That would mean making many characters younger than they are in the comics, true, but at this point I can't come up with a better solution... and honestly I rather like this one, lol.

If you have a small current population it becomes more that the Mutant population with the help of others in the MCU (like Fury who has been shown to keep a lot of secrets) have not so much hidden Mutants as hidden that some of the powered individuals around in the MCU are Mutants. Their gifts are written off as being due to radiation, weird chemicals, etc rather than their own DNA.
A bit convoluted but yeah, that could be another explanation for why not many in the MCU know about mutants.

Last edited:
How could Marvel make mutants a significant minority population if they are a recent phenomenon? This sounds like it would take a couple movies just to get to the point where mutants have a shared identity and culture. If mutants aren't "fighting for a world that hates and fears them" then what's the point of owning those rights?

I don't want to see a brand new cast of young actors. X-men First Class was about a world that didn't know mutants existed. X-men Apocalypse was about showing the prime X-characters as teenagers. We are just reaching a point in Dark Phoenix where the X-men will be 20-something adults.

Ideally, I want X-men movies that begin like the first X-movie did. With a formed and functioning team of adult instructors teaching students to control their powers and protect themselves from bigots. The Gifted does a pretty good job of this. I don't know how it would fit in the MCU so I guess I'd support an alternative X-men Cinematic Universe. I don't think that's likely, though. Marvel will want to use the X-men in the MCU for corporate cross-promotion and for the novelty factor.

I'm aware that it wouldn't be a perfect solution, but imho it's far better than just throwing a large and thriving population of mutants into the MCU all at once and pretending it has always been there.

Unlike Wakandans, mutants do not live in an isolationist nation.

I hope we get a killer lineup for the first film. I think you need to have Cyclops, Storm, Jean, Beast and Wolverine. Try and make them the focus. Then you can have a selection (maybe 2 or 3) from the rest of the A-Team who don't need to be the focus of the story. I guess others can be at the mansion too and not on field assignments but maybe they want to wait to cast those for sequels.

The rest of the A-Team I would say are:

Iceman, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Gambit, Angel, Kitty and Psylocke.

Future films can have Emma Frost, Bishop, Cable, Havok and Polaris.

And the likes of Jubilee, Banshee and Forge can be hanging around the mansion in the background. ;)

X-Men in the MCU Theory:

Millions of years ago, the Celestials implanted the X gene in some people all over the universe. On Earth, there are millions of people who have inherited this ancient X gene. However, the gene is only expressed by a couple hundred people prior to the events of Avengers: Infinity War, making "mutants" a relatively unknown phenomenon on Earth.

Even though the X gene is so rarely expressed by the people who carry the gene, excessive exposure to radiation or Infinity Stones can catalyze the activation of the gene. In IW, the use of the Infinity Stones by Thanos activates the X gene in people all over the world. The mutant population skyrockets from a couple hundred, to millions.

Professor X, Wolverine, Magneto, and SW and QS were among some of the few mutants whose X gene was expressed before IW. Professor X's parents were scientists who exposed themselves to excessive radiation. Magneto's parents were tortured in WWII by Nazi scientists.

People begin to fear mutants after they become publicly known and associate them with Thanos. Professor X takes in mutants to his school for protection and to teach them how to control their powers. The most skilled students become members of the X-Men team.

The first movie will have an already established team that we will get to know (Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Beast, and Wolverine will all definitely be in it, and I hope the other members are Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Iceman). Some characters can be introduced in other movies (Rogue in Captain Marvel). As the movies progress, the team roster will change.

Last edited:
Has to be an alternate universe, really, otherwise there's no point in them being mutants rather than any other kind of superpowered individual. What sets mutants apart is that they are an actual community, which allows them to be an analog for real life minority groups.

If they went with the "only a small handful of mutants exist as a relatively recent phenomenon" idea, it would ironically make the MCU's inhumans closer to what the mutants should be than the mutants themselves are.

Has to be an alternate universe, really, otherwise there's no point in them being mutants rather than any other kind of superpowered individual. What sets mutants apart is that they are an actual community, which allows them to be an analog for real life minority groups.

If they went with the "only a small handful of mutants exist as a relatively recent phenomenon" idea, it would ironically make the MCU's inhumans closer to what the mutants should be than the mutants themselves are.

The mutant population can explode after IW, causing them to be globally know. There's no way Feige and MS would want to keep the X-Men separate from the MCU. They have been planning this for years. They have contingency plans/scripts in case they get the rights back to any character at any juncture.

The MCU X-Men should start in Phase 4 in a completely new continuity, cause what a convoluted mess would be to get the FOX X-Men in Avengers 4, or even the notion of mutants which don't exist in the MCU. So yeah, I smell reboot.

If Disney gets rights and want X-men they will reboot and Fox wont adapt x-men main team movies anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"