Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 113

My theatre was packed last night after seeing this film and people before the movie even started were cheering because of not only Thor Ragnarok but also the Black Panther trailer was shown...I am not even going to lie I was one of those people going crazy during the Black Panther trailer probably reciting each line from it

But that aside the film of Homecoming last night was pretty damn awesome

The Spidey reboot we have all been waiting for...finally Marvel gets it right with these characters

Keaton was a damn near menacing villain as Toomes/Vulture especially given so many years ago he played Bruce Wayne/Batman in the DCEU

All of this is music to my ears.

I finally watch SMH in T minus one hour.

AlluAllu said:
I think Watts was semi-interested in Blade and Morbius for the sequel. I gotta say, contrast between Spider-Man and super badass vampire hunter could be amazing. Plus, this one was a teen comedy. Maybe the next one could riff on teen horror tropes.
I would love that

One of the things I really, really liked was the Washington sequence and how height was actually an issue that the movie captured perfectly. I was dying to see a good wall-crawling sequence that didn't require shooting webs all the time, and this was it.
It also reminded me of those Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends cartoons where he was on a trip or something and he had to leave his shoes and his backpack somewhere and stuff like that, something which I always liked.

I like how he really is in the neighborhood because he's young and fresh, we didnt see him all over new york doing his classic patrol. He was stopping petty crimes near home it seemed.

What I think I loved most about the movie is that, by the end, I believed that Tom Holland/Peter Parker was Spider-man without any suit. I think this was the movie's biggest goal, and they nailed it perfectly. I left the theatre feeling great about Peter's decision at the end, and I would actually be fully onboard with a sequel that puts Peter back into his homemade hoodie suite. Stark's suit was a blast and Karen was pretty funny, but it didn't feel like Spider-man to me, until Peter realized and believed he was Spider-man without the suit.

It's been 13 YEARS since we got a great Spider-Man film. I was 12 years old. Now I'm 25 and it's bizarre to think that it took this long. As a lifelong Spider-Man fan and veteran of the last three movies, it's been too long. Way too long.

As much as I was looking forward to this, while I knew it wouldn't top the first two Raimi films, I thought it'd still be the best one since the second but still be a fine, solid Marvel movie. Nothing impressive. On a Doctor Strange level type thing.

But I was wrong. This was shockingly a lot better than I was expecting. This is probably in my top four (if it outranks Iron Man it'd be top three) MCU films. This is just a great film. Marvel utilized the fact they have an A-lister in Spidey, and they squeezed the lemon, not leaving anything feeling unfulfilled. This comes close to the first Raimi film. It gets Spider-Man to the core, but done in a way that finally managed to differentiate it from the other superhero movies and the Raimi films, and it's always been there in the comics, it's just been modernized and in the best way. This movie and Raimi'is first two films are equally Spider-Man films for a different interpretations, both always existed in the comics.

You buy it because of Holland as Spider-Man and Peter Parker. It's him. He's been away for a while, but there he is. You care about Spider-Man because it's Peter. Holland did what Maguire did and made Peter likable no matter what, even when you know he's doing the wrong thing. The main part of Spider-Man is that being Spider-Man makes Peter's life more difficult. That's really it. He can be a billionaire or whatever, just never take that away from him. And it's here. But I appreciated the scaled down Marvel film. For once, the world isn't ending and there isn't a beam of light in the sky. It's just a kid trying to prove to himself he's more than a costume.

The cast is superb. No complaints here. Keaton as Vulture is one of Marvel's best villains (****ing finally) and the twist with him was excellent. The directing great, and it surprisingly feels more like a vision carried through than a typical Marvel movie. It looks better and has its own distinct feel. A lot of that has to do with the decision to make it a high school film. The action was good too, but it's really elevated by Holland. You still can't top Raimi's memorable action scenes. That man in general knew how to create iconic images and memorable moments in his Spider-Man films, even SM3 that most comic book films still don't do.

My only real criticism is the film lacks dramatic depth. The movie has heart, but it doesn't quite go there when it could, and opts for humor which is pretty typical of a Marvel film. But I give it more of a pass here because it fits Spider-Man a bit more and the aim was more comedic. But Spider-Man's core has never been without drama and deep conflict. It could have done it on its own terms. There are examples, but it could go further. Marvel needs to push this more narratively.

My only other problems are
Toomes doesn't really have an arc or change except at that credits scene which should have been in the movie.
The finale could have used more emotional stakes, the idea of Peter confronting this girl's Dad and making it seem different didn't quite land as well as it could have.

And
Michelle saying, "My friends call me MJ." This is confusing.
So is this Mary Jane Watson or is this Michelle with a nickname MJ and their own character? If so, why call her MJ at all and just make her Michelle?
"My friends call me MJ." You had no friends. Unless she's suddenly referring to Peter and Ned, but they don't seem to think so and she's trying to open herself up. This is too confusing. You don't need MJ. Michelle is fine in her own right.

Last edited:
I'll say one thing, I hope the sequel has a better title. Because Homecoming is horrible.

Meh. A title really doesn't matter

To some it doesn't, to others it does. It doesn't make or break the movie for me at all. It just sounds lame to me and I wish for the sequel they pick something better.

Homecoming works both in the movie and on the meta level so I'd rather be very happy if they manage something like that again.

And
So is this Mary Jane Watson or is this Michelle with a nickname MJ and their own character? If so, why call her MJ at all and just make her Michelle?
"My friends call me MJ." You had no friends. Unless she's suddenly referring to Peter and Ned, but they don't seem to think so and she's trying to open herself up. This is too confusing. You don't need MJ. Michelle is fine in her own right.
its really not that confusing, she's MJ now. Plain and simple. And ned says "i thought you didnt have any friends,
And she specifically says "i didn't" which denotes she does now have friends.

Visually and structurally this felt like a comic book come to life unlike any other superhero movie I've seen before.

It's been 13 YEARS since we got a great Spider-Man film. I was 12 years old. Now I'm 25 and it's bizarre to think that it took this long. As a lifelong Spider-Man fan and veteran of the last three movies, it's been too long. Way too long.

As much as I was looking forward to this, while I knew it wouldn't top the first two Raimi films, I thought it'd still be the best one since the second but still be a fine, solid Marvel movie. Nothing impressive. On a Doctor Strange level type thing.

But I was wrong. This was shockingly a lot better than I was expecting. This is probably in my top four (if it outranks Iron Man it'd be top three) MCU films. This is just a great film. Marvel utilized the fact they have an A-lister in Spidey, and they squeezed the lemon, not leaving anything feeling unfulfilled. This comes close to the first Raimi film. It gets Spider-Man to the core, but done in a way that finally managed to differentiate it from the other superhero movies and the Raimi films, and it's always been there in the comics, it's just been modernized and in the best way. This movie and Raimi'is first two films are equally Spider-Man films for a different interpretations, both always existed in the comics.

You buy it because of Holland as Spider-Man and Peter Parker. It's him. He's been away for a while, but there he is. You care about Spider-Man because it's Peter. Holland did what Maguire did and made Peter likable no matter what, even when you know he's doing the wrong thing. The main part of Spider-Man is that being Spider-Man makes Peter's life more difficult. That's really it. He can be a billionaire or whatever, just never take that away from him. And it's here. But I appreciated the scaled down Marvel film. For once, the world isn't ending and there isn't a beam of light in the sky. It's just a kid trying to prove to himself he's more than a costume.

The cast is superb. No complaints here. Keaton as Vulture is one of Marvel's best villains (****ing finally) and the twist with him was excellent. The directing great, and it surprisingly feels more like a vision carried through than a typical Marvel movie. It looks better and has its own distinct feel. A lot of that has to do with the decision to make it a high school film. The action was good too, but it's really elevated by Holland. You still can't top Raimi's memorable action scenes. That man in general knew how to create iconic images and memorable moments in his Spider-Man films, even SM3 that most comic book films still don't do.

My only real criticism is the film lacks dramatic depth. The movie has heart, but it doesn't quite go there when it could, and opts for humor which is pretty typical of a Marvel film. But I give it more of a pass here because it fits Spider-Man a bit more and the aim was more comedic. But Spider-Man's core has never been without drama and deep conflict. It could have done it on its own terms. There are examples, but it could go further. Marvel needs to push this more narratively.

My only other problems are
Toomes doesn't really have an arc or change except at that credits scene which should have been in the movie.
The finale could have used more emotional stakes, the idea of Peter confronting this girl's Dad and making it seem different didn't quite land as well as it could have.

And

Man, you nailed it :up:

its really not that confusing, she's MJ now. Plain and simple. And ned says "i thought you didnt have any friends,
And she specifically says "i didn't" which denotes she does now have friends.

Okay, but is
she supposed to be Mary Jane or is she Michelle who likes to be called MJ and this is their version of Mary Jane in some way without repeating it? If she isn't Mary Jane, it's pretty pointless for her to be even called MJ. I'm just getting caught up if MJ means Mary Jane. She was called Michelle, so is that her real name? If so, what's the point? I'd get it if she was called Mary or "Janey." Would have been predictable but it would have made sense. Or just call her MJ up front. It just felt forced in. I would have preferred Michelle just be a new character. MJ doesn't always need to be there.

Okay, but is
she supposed to be Mary Jane or is she Michelle who likes to be called MJ and this is their version of Mary Jane in some way without repeating it? If she isn't Mary Jane, it's pretty pointless for her to be even called MJ. I'm just getting caught up if MJ means Mary Jane. She was called Michelle, so is that her real name? If so, what's the point? I'd get it if she was called Mary or "Janey." Would have been predictable but it would have made sense. Or just call her MJ up front. It just felt forced in. I would have preferred Michelle just be a new character. MJ doesn't always need to be there.

i think its pretty clear at this point she is a reworked version of mary jane. We dont know if mj is first and last name or first and middle. I personally think they changed mary jane because its a bit of a dated name with an unfortunate association with marijuana. I think it feels forced mostly because its hard to coax people out of what they've already known for so long.

It was an okay movie.
Not great, not Spectacular, not even Amazing.
In fact, I think it will be ranked bottom of the MCU.

Too much changed... Way too much.
Too much forced PC crap and too much from the Miles "Kid Arachnid" Morales series.

There are quite a few people out there who never even heard of Miles Morales, who won't be bothered by any of that.

It was an okay movie.
Not great, not Spectacular, not even Amazing.
In fact, I think it will be ranked bottom of the MCU.

Too much changed... Way too much.
Too much forced PC crap and too much from the Miles "Kid Arachnid" Morales series.

Forced PC crap? One line about the Washington monument and Native Americans? That took up...maybe sixteen seconds? Wow, someone is a tad sensitive.

Forced PC crap? One line about the Washington monument and Native Americans? That took up...maybe sixteen seconds? Wow, someone is a tad sensitive.

You forgot the part where Peter and New York are surrounded by people of color. I just hate it when they make a multicutural cast! It's sacrificing comic accuracy for The Agenda

Not to sound like a total edgelord, but I thought Raimi got Spider-Man 's world correct, but McGuire's Spider-Man completely shat all over at. He was just awful in the role.

This film nailed everything... ****ing nailed it.

i think its pretty clear at this point she is a reworked version of mary jane. We dont know if mj is first and last name or first and middle. I personally think they changed mary jane because its a bit of a dated name with an unfortunate association with marijuana. I think it feels forced mostly because its hard to coax people out of what they've already known for so long.

I don't think that's the reason but if it is, that's a stupid reason on their part. The majority of a movie going audience isn't going to associate a separate character with marijuana.

My whole issue is if she's reworked, just name her Mary Jane and keep Zendaya. Calling her only "MJ" as Michelle is just pointless. Maybe if her last name started with a J and we knew that, I could be more accepting. But it just seems forced.

I don't care if I'm alone on this but:

That was the BEST after credits scene ever.

that was just magnificent trolling, greatest laugh of the whole movie,
and the movie was hilarious too

Also, I loved the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back