Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 113

I'm devastated that the Insomniac game is Ps4 exclusive. Seriously, it looks amazing and the last Spidey game i enjoyed was Web of Shadows. is there any chance it will get a port in the future?

Nope. It's published by Sony like Uncharted and God of War and developed by an independent studio like Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank.

Last edited:
I'd rather just see Scorpion in the sequel. Maybe some petty thugs like the Enforcers as well.

I'd love that, but I don't think it's likely. I'd imagine they'd get a bigger name for Gargan if it was.

Guys, can someone explain the timeline of the MCU?

Basically, in Homecoming it is said that the film takes place 8 years after The Avengers, which means Homecoming is in... 2020? But at the same time, I know that Civil War takes place in 2016 (Vision mentions that it has been 8 years after Stark has announced himself as Iron Man and that one takes place in 2008) and Homecoming is set shortly after that so.. what is the deal here?

Or maybe I am wrong and The Avengers doesn't take place in 2012? I thought most of the MCU films took place in real time, with the exception of Thor, TIH and IM2 taking place in the same week and both GOTG films taking place in 2014 within 2 months apart.

Last edited:
That confused me too. "8 years later" felt like a bit much.

Guys, can someone explain the timeline of the MCU?

Basically, in Homecoming it is said that the film takes place 8 years after The Avengers, which means Homecoming is in... 2020? But at the same time, I know that Civil War takes place in 2016 (Vision mentions that it has been 8 years after Stark has announced himself as Iron Man and that one takes place in 2008) and Homecoming is set shortly after that so.. what is the deal here?

Or maybe I am wrong and The Avengers doesn't take place in 2012? I thought most of the MCU films took place in real time, with the exception of Thor, TIH and IM2 taking place in the same week and both GOTG films taking place in 2014 within 2 months apart.

It was a mistake. Ross clearly says in Civil War that Avengers are togeter for 4 years. 2012-16. Homecoming takes place months after CW so it can't be 8 yearrs since the battle of New York. Vision also says that Tony Stark came out as Iron Man 8 years ago in CW. 2008-2016. The 8 years later is an error. Avengers happened in 2012.

Last edited:
Basically the MCU timeline is slowly edging its way to becoming like the Legend Of Zelda timeline someday. :o

I am beyond tired right now but I thought I would pop in real quick to say I loved it. Absolutely loved it. I have some issues with Homecoming but this was a great movie and a great Peter/Spider-Man story. So happy.

Glad to hear! I know you also had some trepidation going in, and I think some of that was certainly warranted. But overall this is one of the most enjoyable movie experiences of my life.

Awesome that you loved it, UW!

Nope. It's published by Sony like Uncharted and God of War and developed by an independent studio like Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank.

Looks brilliant as well. They're quite sensibly drawing inspiration from the Arkham games, with a Spidey spin on it. I'll be buying it day one, I think.

Looks brilliant as well. They're quite sensibly drawing inspiration from the Arkham games, with a Spidey spin on it. I'll be buying it day one, I think.

Yeah it looks incredible. Arkham's freeflow combat is the perfect system for spidey's style.

The suit looked a lot more cloth like instead of rubbery. I know there was a practical suit in Civil War, but I wonder if they changed materials slightly.

As far as I know, the suit seen in Civil War is 100% CGI on screen. For Homecoming, there was an actual suit used for several scenes (as seen on the filming pics), although I'm sure there's some CGI-enhancement in several scenes.

Yes and no. The TASM games drew from Arkham and look how they turned out. Could maybe be put down to being a movie tie-in, but the Markham style has been aped with few getting it right it seems. Though I have to say this upcoming game looks to have a better chance of getting it right going of the E3 presentation. I think it looks good that they seem to have more web variations like Batman had his selectable gadgets. Wonder if they had any sneak peeks at the film and drew inspiration?

How would you guys feel about Morbius in the sequel? Personally not a big fan of the idea...

I would love to see Morbius. Though I'd be hesitant to see him alongside another villain like Scorpion or any of the Sinister Six (since it looks like that's what they're setting up). I also wouldn't like to see the S6 as the villains of the sequel. Though still have Gargan on the side (not yet Scorpion) recruiting them. Leave them for the third film I say. That way you could have Morbius alone and maybe even introduce Blade back into the MCU.

Finally seeing this in a couple hours. Really looking forward to it.:susd:

I would love to see Morbius. Though I'd be hesitant to see him alongside another villain like Scorpion or any of the Sinister Six (since it looks like that's what they're setting up). I also wouldn't like to see the S6 as the villains of the sequel. Though still have Gargan on the side (not yet Scorpion) recruiting them. Leave them for the third film I say. That way you could have Morbius alone and maybe even introduce Blade back into the MCU.

Not sure how Morbius and Scorpion would fit in a movie together, that's true. It'll be interesting, hopefully we find out sooner than later

Now that I've had time to process what I saw, I can say that while I enjoyed watching the movie, it's quite flawed and disappointing. I didn't decide before seeing it that I'm gonna dislike the movie, and after seeing it I recognize it did some things well. But I do feel let down. The main two things that left a bad taste in my mouth were the "if you're nothing without the suit then you shouldn't have it" lesson and the [Blackout]lacking prescence of uncle Ben[/Blackout]

the so called lesson Peter learned in this movie just didn't feel appropriate for this character. He has amazing superpowers, which the movie seemed to downplay in favor of making Tony's suit more empowering.
It would be entirely different if the suit was the superpower and Peter was just a smart kid. It was great in IM3 when Tony stormed Mandarin's hideout with weapons he built in the kid's garage. Spiderman on the other hand has the intelligence and the superpowers without a costume. I don't buy that a smart kid like Peter would be so blind to something that obvious, insecurities of teenage considered. After the second trailer people defended the moment with "it's teenage hyperbole, it's just a knee jerk reaction". But in the movie near the end when Peter panicks under the rubble and then has a moment of clarity, Tony's words about the suit echo in his head,
like it's actually something that he's just now learning. Give me a break... the fact that the message here was so half baked makes me worry about the sequel

Then there's the uncle Ben thing. The reference here was when Peter told Ned that May can't find out about his superheroics "with all that she's gone through lately", but it just felt disingenuous. Like it was a box they had to check, "allude to uncle Ben once without actually calling attention to him". It doesn't feel in the slightest like they lost a loved dad & husband 8 months ago. For something like that the movie should've expressed somehow that they're actually still thinking about him, but for business reasons they didn't because that might've possibly made the movie "less fresh & new". And that unfortunately severly hurt the emotional core of the movie.

I'm not trying to start arguments, this is just me sharing how I felt, honestly mostly for my sake because it helps me deal with my disappointment. At the very least I'm now fully onboard with Tom as Spiderman, who's fantastic performance took me totally by surprise

Sony's Spider-Man: Homecoming netted $117M this weekend.

$257M worldwide opening weekend.

I think companies should have some standard where they tally up all the opening weekends in all countries after it's been released everywhere in order to be consistent on WW opening weekend. There's such a large spread on how movies are released internationally.

Now that I've had time to process what I saw, I can say that while I enjoyed watching the movie, it's quite flawed and disappointing. I didn't decide before seeing it that I'm gonna dislike the movie, and after seeing it I recognize it did some things well. But I do feel let down. The main two things that left a bad taste in my mouth were the "if you're nothing without the suit then you shouldn't have it" lesson and the [Blackout]lacking prescence of uncle Ben[/Blackout]

the so called lesson Peter learned in this movie just didn't feel appropriate for this character. He has amazing superpowers, which the movie seemed to downplay in favor of making Tony's suit more empowering.
It would be entirely different if the suit was the superpower and Peter was just a smart kid. It was great in IM3 when Tony stormed Mandarin's hideout with weapons he built in the kid's garage. Spiderman on the other hand has the intelligence and the superpowers without a costume. I don't buy that a smart kid like Peter would be so blind to something that obvious, insecurities of teenage considered. After the second trailer people defended the moment with "it's teenage hyperbole, it's just a knee jerk reaction". But in the movie near the end when Peter panicks under the rubble and then has a moment of clarity, Tony's words about the suit echo in his head,
like it's actually something that he's just now learning. Give me a break... the fact that the message here was so half baked makes me worry about the sequel

Then there's the uncle Ben thing. The reference here was when Peter told Ned that May can't find out about his superheroics "with all that she's gone through lately", but it just felt disingenuous. Like it was a box they had to check, "allude to uncle Ben once without actually calling attention to him". It doesn't feel in the slightest like they lost a loved dad & husband 8 months ago. For something like that the movie should've expressed somehow that they're actually still thinking about him, but for business reasons they didn't because that might've possibly made the movie "less fresh & new". And that unfortunately severly hurt the emotional core of the movie.

I'm not trying to start arguments, this is just me sharing how I felt, honestly mostly for my sake because it helps me deal with my disappointment. At the very least I'm now fully onboard with Tom as Spiderman, who's fantastic performance took me totally by surprise

Pretty much how I felt.

It feels like 2004 around here, with all the positive Spidey movie buzz from fans. Geeking out and happiness about a great Spidey movie. Seriously it's been 13 long years since the forums were like this.

I don't know of a time when the majority of people were so positive of a Spider-Man film on the internet so this is very different but cool to see. I was too young to use the internet when SM2 was out so this is very foreign. I'm so used to understandable bitterness.

It feels like 2004 around here, with all the positive Spidey movie buzz from fans. Geeking out and happiness about a great Spidey movie. Seriously it's been 13 long years since the forums were like this.

Yup. This place is usually a cesspool, but Marvel has brought almost everyone back on board. It's downright silly at this point just how good Marvel is at what they do.

I didn't even exist in 2004. To be able to partake in such blooming positivity that recalls such period for some of the more elderly posters here serenaded me with luminous joy.

Definitely agree with you here. After SM3 and TDK, I started to visit the boards very infrequently only popping up here and there. But with this movie, I've felt compelled to visit multiple times a day lol. The hype and lead up for this movie defiantly reminded me how it was back in 2004 and I haven't been excited for a Spider-Man movie in years.

Also just got back from seeing the movie (meant to see it Friday but family stuff came up) and I got to say this the kick in the pants these Spidey movies needed. I may write up a small review for it but I gotta say I loved it. :hyper:

Last edited:
Yup. This place is usually a cesspool, but Marvel has brought almost everyone back on board. It's downright silly at this point just how good Marvel is at what they do.

Marvel Studios has their flaws, but the positives outweigh the negatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"