Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 90

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by Thread Manager, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]517531[/split]

2. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]517321[/split]

3. harryoscop Registered

I really hope they do show Uncle Ben in Homecoming. He was basically side-stepped in TASM2, and we haven't even see this version of the origin.

4. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

At least one interesting thing of Peter's growth will be determining who he is by the time he's in college or even a fully-grown adult.

Is he his own man?
    Is he leading The Avengers?

Stuff like that.

5. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Peter will be wearing snazzy suits and have a goatee by the time he's in college. :o

6. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

He'll eventually hit on unusually attractive aunts, too. :o

7. harryoscop Registered

Maybe they'll do an origin recap in the intro:

*Marvel Studios Logo & Sony logo* - "It all started with a bite; a random bug bite, a freak accident. I was just a normal kid from Queens when my life changed forever. The bite gave me power *flashback of Peter blocking a punch from Flash* Power to do things I could only imagine in my wildest dreams. *Peter jumping over a car, a shot of Peter in the Wrestling ring wearing the proto-costume he had in Civil War standing over a defeated Muscular wrestler* But after I lost my Uncle *Peter lets a robber from the wrestling ring go- Uncle Ben shot and Peter holding his hand crying* I realized what he was trying to tell me all of these years, I realized where my true destiny lie. With Great Power... Comes Great Responsibility.

*Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures presents:
    [​IMG]

Got a little carried away, but i'm imaging something like that. :oldrazz:

8. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Maybe even his own. :o

9. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

I'd rather 'em skip the origin, but show us stuff even before Peter was ever bit the by the spider.

[YT]1KRILpEd1KA[/YT]

Something like that every now and again, enough to show how much Ben meant to Peter long before he died anyway.

10. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

Given how they're already filming though, it's highly doubtful Ben is in the movie. He'd be one of the very first people cast if he was.

11. harryoscop Registered

Maybe they cast a no-name actor? uh, but then again, the Trades would've picked up on it.

No way Ben is left out of the movie entirely

12. NewYorkSpider EndGame

I'm 99% sure they'll have something like that for the opening. Most of the Marvel movies have had close to 5-10 minute openings before the title comes. I'm sure they could recap him getting bit by the spider and/or Unlce Ben's death in that time frame.

I actually wonder if they'll even go that route since it's already been done twice. I would think that the Uncle Ben scene would be a bit more important to show than the spider bite. Everyone should already know how he gets his powers by now.

13. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

I think he is as of right now.

Maybe they'll have someone in a picture alongside Holland and Tomei but I just can't see him being in this.

14. Xrated48 Drink It In Man

They really don't need this but I'm ok if they do use something like this.

15. harryoscop Registered

As of right now, we don't even know if Uncle Ben existed in this universe. Hell, we don't even know (officially) if he even got bit by a Spider. We just know a) he had something happen to him that gave him powers and b) At some point he learned that he has a responsibility to help people.

Ben is inevitably going to come up at some point in the movie

16. Web-Head Cowabunga

17. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

Ben obviously existed, but it just wasn't addressed. I'm sure it could be addressed in a conversation between Peter/May or Peter/Tony but I still doubt he's been cast and/or is actually in the movie.

If it was me:

The film opens with Peter (pre-spider bite) in his room packing away a mess of comics he has on his floor and putting 'em under his bed while he has the news blaring of The Avengers saving the day or whatever. Ben knocks on his door and they have a little conversation about heroes and Ben can say something meaningful. Then as the two are happily/jokingly (especially if Ben is anything like the Ultimate comics) conversing, we can see a trickle of blood begin to run from Ben's mouth with Peter's eyes going wide as Ben suddenly collapses. Peter rushes over to him and we see the scene change from Peter's room to a street with the light shining on Peter holding Ben's head in his hands as he suddenly wakes up with a jolt in a cold sweat.

Aunt May comes into his room and asks him what's wrong and then asks if he had the dream again to which he tearfully nods. She hugs him as he tells her he misses him and how he still doesn't know what to do without him and she comforts him before stating he really needs to get some sleep as it's a school night or whatever. Final bit of the opening shows a picture frame of the Parkers at a much happier time.

From Sony Pictures, a Marvel Studios production: Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Definitely a bit dark but Spider-Man is a character made up of many things and one of 'em is obviously tragedy.

They definitely shouldn't shy from that just because we've seen tragic elements in previous films.

#17 PeterBenParker, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  18. harryoscop Registered

Holy **** that's awesome and quite haunting, for the audience & quite literally for Peter/May. (reminds me of a scene from USM) I don't think Marvel are afraid of tackling serious situations and themes. They've done it in plenty of the movies (Starlord's Mom, Tony's parents' assassination anyone) But yeah, that's one of the things I love about Spider-Man as a whole.

#18 harryoscop, Aug 12, 2016
  19. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

Thanks. :oldrazz:

20. Xrated48 Drink It In Man

Sounds amazing would love it to be in the film but it may be too dark.

21. harryoscop Registered

Tony's Stark dad was violently smashed in the face repeatedly by Bucky and he choked his mother in cold blood, Starlord's mother was shown on her deathbed, dying from Cancer (really heartbreaking scenes) and Thor's mother was stabbed by Malikith. Zemo's origin is tragic, T'Challa's dad was blown up right in front of him, Black Widow has a dark origin story too. Tony Stark's history + origin in it's entirety is pretty damn dark in itself.

It's not too dark for Marvel.

#21 harryoscop, Aug 12, 2016
  22. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

I'm sure it'd be okay if that was it and the rest of the film had a lighter vibe to it. After all, he's not Batman. Tragedy is just one of many different things that makes Spider-Man so great and I feel this could be a way for Marvel/Sony to somewhat retell the origin without actually telling it.
    edit before posting: what Harry said also :oldrazz:

We've seen the origin story twice and one of which was done beautifully (Raimi's first Spider-Man), so if they feel inclined to revisit any of that, why not show us Peter much before the spider bite? How was his and Ben's relationship? Him and May's?

I loved how the Ultimate comics approached it. Not only did they make Peter/Ben/May so realistic and likable but they really strengthen the relationship of Peter/Ben before the death which pulled the strings when it came time for the inevitable to occur. I don't think we need to see Peter do late night shows, wrestle or hunt Ben's killer but give us something else this time, I guess.

Anyway, glad you liked my approach. :yay:

23. SpeterMan3 SpeterTV on YT

I do wonder how they'll handle Ben. We've all seen it and we all know it, but it's just so important. I'd at least want to see pictures of him on the walls and stuff.
    But hey, we all know Ben will be played by RDJ in prosthetic makeup anyway. :oldrazz:

24. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

Agreed. If we're able to have him cast, I'd want Tim Robbins.

Obviously. :oldrazz:

25. Zant Registered

LOL RdJ had something to do with the casting of Marisa Tomei didn't he. Him and Mel Gibson are best buds. Wonder if he can help him out with a solid role in the MCU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.