Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 90

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by Thread Manager, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarlet Spider Registered

I'm still glad this is being made though. For better or worse, this is what a Marvel Studios Spider-Man film is. Take it or leave it. :o

2. Spider-man95 *Thwip*

With Zendaya's purple streak in here hair in the set photos I would've thought she was playing Kate Bishop. Maybe she's an undercover student for Shield tasked with keeping an eye on Peter and Michelle is her alias? :hehe:

3. NotSoLongAgo #spidermansolit

Of all the things to care about this isnt one of them

4. Ninjablade This is heavy

I actually wouldn't mind that idea. Especially if they had Fury show up in the end to reveal it. I always loved Ultimate Fury and Spider-Man's relationship.

Oh well though, I'm not upset about her being MJ.

5. NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

One can only hope.

6. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

betty imo is important to have brown hair and a bob.. but still not on the same level as it is for MJ to have red hair.. and Sally Avril isn't even a tertiary character.. first and secondary have far less room to alter than tertiary and beyond....

this is why people don't really care if ned leeds is asian or liz allen is black (they may care Ned is fat and a comic relief in Highschool, but they don't care that he's asian) and why people were furious over Micheal B Jordan playing the human torch...

this non-sense of comparing needs to quit... it's incredibly simple...

The More Popular a character, the more people care about said character... the less popular, the less people care, and thus the easier it is to alter them.

7. Spider-man95 *Thwip*

Perhaps that is her "transformation"? ;)

I dunno, when she says in the SDCC teaser "Where are you going, what are you up to Peter?", then Peter gives her a worried look and she realizes...uh oh don't want him thinking I'm prying something out of him.... "I don't really care".

8. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

Deny it if you want, dude. :oldrazz:

9. Spider-man95 *Thwip*

Hey, I'm just spitballing ideas that float in my head. ;)

I'm certainly not going to put enough faith in a Mayimbe scoop to call it fact.

10. Kanon Crazy

Has anybody asked why in heavens would the producers keep MJ casting a secret and code name her character Michelle? It would be so weird, I would think casting MJ would be something of an event...

11. NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

Wasn't there a rumor that Oscorp or whatever online would be targeting Peter similar to the Ultimate Spider-Man comics? As if Norman possibly knows Peter is Spider-Man. If that was the case, Zendaya as a "Michelle" would make sense. She could work for Oscorp or maybe Tony has this girl follow her around and she works for him and S.H.I.E.L.D. For all we know some of the teachers may be like the "Ultimate Spider-Man" series and secretly S.H.I.E.L.D. agents posing as faculty.

Just a thought.

12. Oscorp Registered

I'm most concerned about Shocker #2. #2!? There's only one Shocker, what's that about??

13. Leo Zelinsky Mutie

The Times They Are a-Changin'

14. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

If Watts is using the Breakfast Club as his template, he should've just used the principle and concept of it, rather than trying to pigeon hole characters into set character types. So Mary Jane doesn't have to be a basket case/ wallflower who blossoms just because that is one of the slots available.

They can create their own types such as the popular girl who is seen as superficial at first but shows herself to be a lot deeper instead of copying it exactly.

Otherwise if they want to be such slaves to the template, well that film spent most of the time in detention, so Peter should do the same and not go out to battle any supervillains. Let Tony Stark do that instead. :o

15. NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

Could mean suit #2. Maybe he has two suits? :hmm

16. Leo Zelinsky Mutie

Because people flip out if a white character isn't casted white

17. Spider-man95 *Thwip*

Yeah, I've seen someone ask why they did it with MJ but not with Flash since that is also a race change.

18. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

What would you prefer? Them to come out and say she's MJ and negate their own plan to have it be kept under wraps? Come on now. :oldrazz:

They're going to deny it or ignore it and you can expect the same from the actors/actresses going forward until the film releases. Unless, of course, they get cold feet and either change things with Zendaya so that she is just Michele (since shooting's still going), hastily cast someone to be MJ so we can have both Michele and MJ in a film (which NinjaTurtleFan pointed out in the MJ thread), or cut her entirely.

Also, when I was having my doubts a bit ago about Zendaya's role, I brought up Kate and it would fit given how Peter is quite similar to Miles and Ned is all too 'coincidentally' like Ganke.

Either way, she's MJ.

19. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

To keep in the spirit of everyone being changed for Homecoming, they should've cast Ming Na as Aunt May.

She could reveal that her full name is Melinda May Parker. She just likes to go by her middle name for Agents of SHIELD. :o

20. Kanon Crazy

What? they don't think we are gonna find out eventually? :hehe:

Yeah. I don't mind the casting, and it would make sense that she plays something more important than "random Michelle character", but still not buying this.

21. Kanon Crazy

So that's the Aunt May spin-off all about (it was a spy story, right?)

Let's not give the good folks at Sony any ideas...

22. DigificWriter Registered

Because Michelle wouldn't be a codename; it would most likely be the character's middle name, and the reveal of her full FIRST NAME (Mary-Jane) would be part of her character arc in the movie.

23. NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

Minorities flip out if roles are whitewashed too. Just saying.

Thing is this is a character like Bond who has had years of longevity--- a popular character too. This isn't like changing the race of a character who not a lot of people are familiar with or has only been in comics for a few years, or will shrug their shoulders and go, "Oh well...."

GA probably has no clue who Ned Leeds, Herman Schultz/Shocker or some of the other characters are, but Mary Jane Watson... GA and the public know right away who that is. There's the difference. Look at what happened with Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm and having Sue be adopted. It's changing for the sake of changing versus respecting the source. Huge difference.

24. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

^ That's probably the route they're going with it.

I mean, both of my parents went by their middle names so it's not an uncommon thing at all.

25. DigificWriter Registered

Is it too much to ask that people please knock it off with this BS notion that "respecting the source material" means "being slavishly loyal to the source material"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.