Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 90

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I wish a racist and sexist dukeebag still had control over Marvel Studios so Mary Jane could be white!"
How cruel and unfair to selfishly wish for such a thing just because MJ isn't white.

That Gunn quote just settles it all. Great writer, all around. No comment is really needed, but... I had this all typed up anyway.

I just don't get it. Why change the core of these characters? I don't care that Flash Thompson is Guatemalan. I just wish he was a 6'2", physically fit Guatemalan. I don't care that Mary Jane is African American, I just wish she was - at the very least - based off the ultimate comics in which she was a popular student with the iconic red hair. Why Ned Leeds? Why not Kong? Why Betty Brant? Why not a new character entirely, it's not like everyone in Midtown High Class of 2019 has to be important to Spider-Man's future. To me, it's amazing (no pun intended) how in hindsight the first Amazing Spiderman film is still the closest thing we'll get to the Spider-Man comic brought to life.

A couple notes on your rant:

Some people customize vintage cars/houses/characters/whatever. It doesn't mean they lack passion for the thing. Quite the opposite actually.

Not only is "that vintage Spider-Man feel" something that is by definition outdated, it is not the core of the characters. Case in point: Flash is a bully. It doesn't matter his fighting style (surface), as long as he make Peter's life suck, he's Flash at the core. So someone doing Flash's role in a 2017 story is cyberbullying. Using the old bullying style is just as silly as having Tony Stark get captured in the vintage Vietnam War and drive around in a brand new 72 mustang. Plus, having a normal guy try to punch Spider-Man... not that gripping.

But not only that, you don't even seem to want vintage. You want Ultimate MJ, and I'm not ready to count 2000 as "nostalgia" much less "vintage."

Also while you may not be impressed with Marvel's movie record... I think you know most people are, so to be amazed that someone would give them some goodwill, especially after just knocking it out of the park with all the other once controversial castings from Star Lord all the way back to Tony Stark, well... that's short sighted too.

But to each his own.

dude peter knew MJ was hot from the moment he first met her on the blind date. he just wasn't into her personality.

So... not now you see she's not Liz Allen? Also, she was in the story long before then, as Anna and Aunt May were pushing for the blind date. He was actively avoiding it. That was her role in the story, and the Jackpot was a payoff for that.

My problem isn't with race changes, but that the set pics and what we've heard of Zendaya's character doesn't strike me as MJ at all

exactly it feels like a different character its like making peter parker like logan lerman's character from perks of being a wallflower

Yeah, the set pics don't exactly scream MJ. People complaining about THAT is fine. I'm kind of getting sick and tired of the people whining about race, though.But going by the rumors, they're probably setting her up for a big transformation when she decides to dress fancy and all that jazz. You know, like for the dance that generally accompanies the titular event...

Last edited:
Some people don't get that the problem isn't Zendaya or her skin color, but the characterization that Marvel seems to be going for with this version of Mary Jane. If you can even call her that. The more I think about it, the more I realize this really is MJ in name only. Not only does Zendaya not look anything like the character with the weird frumpy look and that edgy purple strand in her non-red hair, but she's also playing a character who apparently, according to Zendaya herself, is super dry and awkward and always in a book. I don't about u guys, but that isn't Mary Jane. Like..at all. They could've at least given her the red hair and dolled her up a bit, wardrobe included, but hey.....oh, and that whole transformation thing from dorky outcast to stunning model. Ugh. :csad:

We'll see. I was really excited about the idea of Zendaya as MJ, being as how I've wanted her in the role for a while now, but I wasn't expecting that this is how Marvel would do it.

And I'm not talking about the extreme purists. I don't care for that line of thinking but whatever, you think what you want. I'm talking about the group that has sinister reasons why they are purists. I don't respect those people.

I don't respect them either but I never let them get to me.At the end of the day those same people fear that this will change the status quo of how they view something.If this works they are just going to have to deal with reality.I love that tbh

Some people don't get that the problem isn't Zendaya or her skin color, but the characterization that Marvel seems to be going for with this version of Mary Jane. If you can even call her that. The more I think about it, the more I realize this really is MJ in name only. Not only does Zendaya not look anything like the character with the weird frumpy look and that edgy purple strand in her non-red hair, but she's also playing a character who apparently, according to Zendaya herself, is super dry and awkward and always in a book. I don't about u guys, but that isn't Mary Jane. Like..at all. They could've at least given her the red hair and dolled her up a bit, wardrobe included, but hey.....oh, and that whole transformation thing from dorky outcast to stunning model. Ugh. :csad:

We'll see. I was really excited about the idea of Zendaya as MJ, being as how I've wanted her in the role for a while now, but I wasn't expecting that this is how Marvel would do it.

:up: :up: The wallflower turning into a beauty suits Gwen more, since she was more into education and MJ was more about partying.

I love that the Mary Jane and Valkyrie casting upsets a certain group of fans. Those are the people that I don't give a damn what they think and I don't respect their opinions and don't give a damn about their feelings.

**** sexist ash Pelmutter.
Not all the people who are a little disapointed, are evil white guy that vote Trump and eat baby.

I am half black and like a lot of people, I just like when the actor look a little like the character that I like and care about.

It's subjective, I am very glad about Deadpool or Batman's costume.

I don't want Superman to have blonde hair, I find that's important to his iconic look.

I don't find Barry's hair iconic so I don't care much.

I don't care much who play Valkyrie, I don't know her.
But I know and like Mary Jane's appearance.

Shocker is way less know so there will less people unhappy about the change.

Does Tom have a stunt double? In that case, shouldn't there also be a 'spider-man #2'?

The characterization concerns are fair, I don't see MJ when I look at those behind the scenes photos either and not because she is black and doesn't have red hair. It seems like a departure for the character but if it's good I'll accept it I guess.

I'm not giving up on the film because it of it though. As long as the film is good and this version of MJ is well done, I'll walk away happy.

Even if there is a dress code, can you tell me then why some girls who are very fashionable are still able to pull off a very basic dress code and manage to look trendy, whereas Zendaya in these pics seems deliberately frumpy?

right. I'm not saying MJ has to dress like a ****.

but at least be trendy and fashionable.

My problem isn't with race changes, but that the set pics and what we've heard of Zendaya's character doesn't strike me as MJ at all

But MJ's character arc is going from a popular girl, party goer to someone who becomes more responsible. She's not a wallflower like Michelle has been described. She's also certainly not dry, MJ's more about having fun when Peter meets her.

exactly.

Not all the people who are a little disapointed, are evil white guy that vote Trump and eat baby.

I am half black and like a lot of people, I just like when the actor look a little like the character that I like and care about.

It's subjective, I am very glad about Deadpool or Batman's costume.

I don't want Superman to have blonde hair, I find that's important to his iconic look.

I don't find Barry's hair iconic so I don't care much.

I don't care much who play Valkyrie, I don't know her.
But I know and like Mary Jane's appearance.

Shocker is way less know so there will less people unhappy about the change.

:up:

Shocker's costume is what makes him look iconic more than how the guy inside looks. I like the idea of Bokeem as Shocker. I think he'll do the character justice.

While everyone is going on about MJ, Tiffany Espensen is listed as "Cindy", leaving a possibility of us seeing Silk in the films.

:up:

Shocker's costume is what makes him look iconic more than how the guy inside looks. I like the idea of Bokeem as Shocker. I think he'll do the character justice.

I'm super excited about Shocker, Woodbine is perfect for the role!

I love that the Mary Jane and Valkyrie casting upsets a certain group of fans. Those are the people that I don't give a damn what they think and I don't respect their opinions and don't give a damn about their feelings.

Then you shouldn't bother to acknowledge them because they probably see you the same way. I wanted MJ to remain white for the MCU and I don't share these people's vitriol, let alone take my time to engage with them. In short, taking the high road is the smarter decision, at least in my not so humble opinion.

If we can talk about something else, which I doubt, this cast list has a lot of names I feel like I recognize from some comics which is fun.

SpideyCast.jpg
Ethan Dizon as Tiny- Tiny McKeever from Untold Tales of Spider-Man? Michael Barberi is Jason- Jason Ionello from Untold Tales of Spider-Man? The descriptions of him spying on Peter and Ned seems in line with that character more than Harry Osborn like it was speculated in here earlier. Tiffany Epenson as Cindy- Cindy Moon/Silk? Hannibal Burress is Coach Wilson? Another character from the comics, but I mostly remember him from Spectacular Spider-Man. Tunde Adebimpe as Dr. Cobwell- from ASM #2, the Tinkerer backup story actually, think that's his only appearance as well. Selenis Leyva as Ms. Warren? Miles Warren's long lost sister?

so, this seems like Laura (Liz) on set.

Laura-Harrier.png

Her hair is down and she's not dressing all frumpy and buttoned up like Zendaya is, even though I'm sure she has to follow a dress code, too.

Also, the very idea of a Spider-Man movie made in a collaborative effort by Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures under-performing at the BO and being a critical disaster all because Mary Jane is half-black is hilarious. Hilarious!

This is what you wanted, everyone! YOU wanted Marvel Studios having Spider-Man so they "can do him justice" and "save the character" and all of that BS and now that they're putting their usual spin on things -- as they've done with all of their properties -- and suddenly it's all wrong. Believe me, I have my issues and I damn near annoy anyone and/or everyone on the forum when I bring up my crap, but really?

MJ is the straw that broke the Camel's back yet Ned, Flash, Liz, etc. are all okay? How about Peter? Good with him? Aunt May being played by Marisa Tomei is cool, too, because she's hot or something. Vulture not really looking like Vulture is fine because "he can be taken seriously now" but give us an MJ with a different skin tone and it's crying foul time!

Be careful what you wish for, folks.

giphy.gif

If we can talk about something else, which I doubt, this cast list has a lot of names I feel like I recognize from some comics which is fun.

SpideyCast.jpg
Ethan Dizon as Tiny- Tiny McKeever from Untold Tales of Spider-Man? Michael Barberi is Jason- Jason Ionello from Untold Tales of Spider-Man? The descriptions of him spying on Peter and Ned seems in line with that character more than Harry Osborn like it was speculated in here earlier. Tiffany Epenson as Cindy- Cindy Moon/Silk? Hannibal Burress is Coach Wilson? Another character from the comics, but I mostly remember him from Spectacular Spider-Man. Tunde Adebimpe as Dr. Cobwell- from ASM #2, the Tinkerer backup story actually, think that's his only appearance as well. Selenis Leyva as Ms. Warren? Miles Warren's long lost sister?
And Principal Morita is obviously related to Jim Morita, that he played before.

Visiting these boards just gives me a headache anymore, guys.

Also, the very idea of a Spider-Man movie made in a collaborative effort by Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures under-performing at the BO and being a critical disaster all because Mary Jane is half-black is hilarious. Hilarious!

This is what you wanted, everyone! YOU wanted Marvel Studios having Spider-Man so they "can do him justice" and "save the character" and all of that BS and now that they're putting their usual spin on things -- as they've done with all of their properties -- and suddenly it's all wrong. Believe me, I have my issues and I damn near annoy anyone and/or everyone on the forum when I bring up my crap, but really?

MJ is the straw that broke the Camel's back yet Ned, Flash, Liz, etc. are all okay? How about Peter? Good with him? Aunt May being played by Marisa Tomei is cool, too, because she's hot or something. Vulture not really looking like Vulture is fine because "he can be taken seriously now" but give us an MJ with a different skin tone and it's crying foul time!

Be careful what you wish for, folks.

giphy.gif

:woot: lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"