Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 90

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by Thread Manager, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X Knight Straight Edge

For me, it won't just be MJ. It will be Flash and Betty and Ned and Liz ( to an extent ) and the fact that the entire HS supporting class in no way resembles their comic counterparts.

on the villain side, the film runs the risk of suffering from villain bloat.

2. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Even Laura looks more like MJ there than Zendaya does in her photos.

3. def28 Registered

Like Ghostbusters or any other controversial casting, if you're skeptical the extreme other side of the vocal minority will stereotype you into a negative label. Which of course is bs. But they are usually filled with hate themselves, waiting for the next topic and people to slam. There is no in-between with them. Meanwhile think pieces can have a field day baiting the arguments and getting hits. Ultimately the ones who are in such violent debates on either side are a small percentage of people.

The majority really don't care either way and will be judging her based on her performance. If she's good she's good.

#953 def28, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  4. LoganGambit87 Registered

your rant has no weight since many of us are fine with a black mary jane we have concerns that her characterization is nothing like mary jane since she described her character as dry and awkward and set photo make her look homely,mousy and shy
    [​IMG]

5. Xrated48 Drink It In Man

Ok I see thanks.

6. Xrated48 Drink It In Man

:funny: so true

7. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

See, Laura's character looks like she has more of a natural style and fashion sense, even when wearing simple clothing.

If MJ needs a makeover and a stylist, then does she always need someone to advise her on how to dress? Where does she suddenly get this trendiness and fashion sense from? Why won't we see her making a fashion faux pas continuously after her makeover from someone else?

8. zipzip Registered

Umberto leaked the info because he wasn't invited to the set visit.

9. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

Oh, my rant certainly does have weight -- dating back to when the idea was first brought up that Zendaya could be Mary Jane.

It's only now reinforced that not only are we getting a bi-racial Mary Jane (which was enough as is for some), but we may get to see her character evolve over a film or perhaps a series before we get to see the Mary Jane many are accustomed to. Even then, I'm sure, there will be issues. If you don't believe me, just go back a number of pages on some threads and you'll see what I mean.

Believe me, I get it because I'm one of the only few who have had issues with this Peter Parker and how we may get an evolution out of him (which could make his origin story useless), but even with my concerns and doubt, I'm not abandoning the film because character A doesn't look like character A from some book or whatever. If I was, I'd have left the ride long ago when we first got set pics of Flash.

Eh.

10. KalvinEllis Registered

[​IMG]

11. LoganGambit87 Registered

ah the old we may finally see henry cavill's superman smile in film 3 routine:cwink:

12. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

if she's MJ i'm passing again, i quit buying comics period over One More Day

I discredit their opinion because of the fact they were biased in the first place over the character. So there opinions do no matter to me on the character because THEY DO NOT love the character.

it's the same gosh darn story every single time... if these changes were made to peter parker there'd be a massive outrage.. but because YOU and others care less about a character you're more open to change from them.. so therefore you think your opinion trumps everyone who cares more about the character in question than you do....

we all have passions.. and out of the Marvel Universe MJ has always been in my top 5.. beating out multiple heroes... im passionate about the character and she made a major impact on me since i was a child.. hell my fiance coincidentally is a red head with the initials MJ. .. she's a big deal to me.

so pardon me when i'm upset that a character I love is treating like poo

and people like myself have EVERY right to get upset about it, boycott it and trash it because of that... we all have favorite characters we don't want altered... just because this one isn't yours doesn't mean we have to change are mind or are terrible "stupid" irrational people because of it.

#962 spideyboy_1111, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  13. Scarlet Spider Registered

For what it's worth, I still expect great things out of this film, even if I don't particularly agree with some of the creative decisions. Marvel's currently at the top of it's game and Feige is arguably the best producer currently working in Hollywood. This is their first shot at their flagship character. Their iconic mascot.

No one's infallible but they completely deserve the benefit of the doubt until opening day. They've earned it IMO.

I want this to be the best Spider-Man film ever made. I'm rooting hard for them to pull it off! :spidey:

14. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

HighsSchool
    -Liz Allen the beautiful popular girl all the guys wanted

College
    -MJ (first meeting) the beautiful girl all the guys wanted

(not seeing the difference to be honest) at least in first representation. sure if you dig deeper.. but superficially they're the same.

it was only after Peter was with Gwen where he started to really dislike MJ and her personality.

Liz never got that much development..

15. BatsDC Side-Kicker

Hadn't made half those connections, wow, that's really cool. Harry will be happy

16. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

MJ shouldn't need a dance to make her suddenly look like mj....

17. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

agrees completely.. id buy it for gwen it makes sense.. MJ no

but that's the way they tried to handle her in the Raimi series on some level and how they were trying to handle her in Amazing 2... why? i do not know

18. MyDudeSpidey Marvel's

I honestly appreciate that Marvel is trying to do things differently and I don't wanna sound like a whiny ***** or anything.. it's just that I'm on the fence with this one. I've always been a "trust the process" kind of guy even back in the TASM days when Sony was making some lowkey questionable desicions, so I'll wait until the final product. But I bet I'm gonna end up enjoying the movie and MJ's character arc/evolution anyway, so....All hail Lord Feige.

19. Neno_Kos Registered

Oh so we need to see MJ die then. Good. Die MJ, die.

20. DrCosmic Professor of Power

So... it's just a little bit unsettling to hear "I told you so" in reference to these changes, as though the outcry about MJ is proof something bad has actually happened... as though Marvel isn't actually saving the character and doing him justice, so you have to put it in air quotes. Marvel's changes, which I agree have been MANY, really have worked, not just commercially, but in most instances, to get at the heart of these characters in a way that wouldn't work trying to use all the trappings of the originals.

I do agree with the inevitability you're talking about, but the inevitability doesn't come from Marvel Studios... they're largely responding to the fans, and to the market. If the market didn't like diversity, or updating of 60s tropes, or reversal of themes in some cases (Mandarin), then, well... they wouldn't attract such arduous fanship.

Vulture and Shocker and Tinkerer aren't exactly scene stealers. If they're used well, you can have 7 distinct villains, like in The Dark Knight.

21. Xrated48 Drink It In Man

Same I'm hoping this too.

22. MyDudeSpidey Marvel's

:up:

23. DrCosmic Professor of Power

You don't have to dig deep. You just have to summarize them by how they related to Peter, y'know, the main character, and not how they relate to random guys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Superficially, we're the same. But I don't expect you to play me in my biopic.

24. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

and Z shouldn't be playing MJ for that same reason

25. MbJ Registered

This is what I was saying from the beginning, which is why I found so much of the outrage so silly. "They're changing stuff from the source material!" could be said of quite literally every Marvel film the MCU has put out and shockingly, with one exception, they've all been hits. It's almost like many of those changes were unimportant things most people off the internet don't care about...

I almost never do this but uh...:up:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.