Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 90

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by Thread Manager, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X Knight Straight Edge

agreed.

and for reference, here's what nerdy, science minded Gwen from TASM dressed like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you want nerdy, "brainy" MJ from the Ultimate comics? that's what she should look like. She'd still look striking and beautiful even as a smart science nerd. She's certainly not all frumpy and buttoned up like Zendaya's MJ appears to be.

indeed, TASM Gwen felt more like Ultimate MJ. Zendaya's MJ feels more inspired by TSSM Gwen, even though TSSM Gwen was always attractive and cute even when she dressed more conservatively at the start.

that's why this is all messed up!! lol

2. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos (P)

:up:

The past few days I've seen people bug out over changes made to the Tinkerer and Ned Leeds, as if those were iconic, fan-favorite characters :funny:

3. DrCosmic Professor of Power

Ah, that's the misunderstanding. No, an adaptation is not a historical document, like a biopic. In fact, an adaptation that fails to adapt is a failed adaptation. A biopic that fails to adapt is a successful biopic.

4. KalvinEllis Registered

I actually totally agree with this particular paragraph. MJ is a very special character to me as well, so I can understand people being disappointed, despite that I'm not against this casting choice.

5. X Knight Straight Edge

changes to Ned and Tinkerer ( or Shocker ) don't really bother me.

changes to a major, iconic character like MJ does bother me. and not just a small, minor change. but major changes to both the character's looks and personality.

6. NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

Ned bothers me a little because I was hoping they could set it up for him to be framed as Hobgoblin but changes to Tinkerer and Shocker don't bother me as much. MJ yes.

7. MbJ Registered

Didn't you know the MCU ended once and for all when they made Heimdall black, had Hawkeye not wear a purple mask, and made Yellowjacket a separate character?:o

8. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

My post was really directed at one person, the person who said that they wished a sexist scumbag still had power over the Marvel films in response to Marvel's diverse casting as of late.

I have been very careful on here and on twitter not to blanket call people racist as I think that is wrong. I think that I have the right to respond to a disgusting post though. I'm not lumping the purists in with racists so don't lump me in with people who call everyone who are purists racists. I've already said that I feel that most purists are just that, purists.

#983 I SEE SPIDEY, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  9. NotSoLongAgo #spidermansolit

per Jon Watts stated influence:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She puts on a mask alot like here later on:
    [​IMG]
    and then at the end of that same issue:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos (P)

And that's fair. As for me, I'm just going to wait and see how this plays out before I complain.

If she's wrong for the role in the story they want to tell, I'll be upset. If the story they want to tell somehow doesn't nail the spirit of the character/source material (like every MCU film has thus far), I'll be even more upset.

However, we don't know enough to make that call either way.

11. MbJ Registered

Yeah that piece of crap getting the boot has been nothing but good. The people complaining about how diversity should come from existing diverse characters and not racebending? Hey guess what, Perlmutter didn't want those characters either.

12. Mike Murdock Registered

Dayspring Askani'son ;)

More seriously, it's probably Mary-Jane Michelle Watson, not Mary Jane Michelle Watson if that's the road they're going down.

It's pretty thin to go off a set pick "vibe." Maybe at least a trailer?

13. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

I really dont care..

we've already had one terrible MJ adaptation and are already getting another. just because something is an adaptation doesn't mean they are immune to criticism for going "willy nilly" and straying from source... when alot of fans still want to see that version of the character adapted.

14. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos (P)

Oh wow, you've seen the movie? Do tell!

15. Pokkle Registered

Sorry since you said:
    "I love that the Mary Jane and Valkyrie casting upsets a certain group of fans. Those are the people that I don't give a damn what they think and I don't respect their opinions and don't give a damn about their feelings.

**** sexist ass Pelmutter."

I thought you were speaking about all the people upset and not just the one Pelmutter fanboy.
    You have all the right to criticize his post.

16. BatsDC Side-Kicker

Which comic is the first set of panels from?

17. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

it's not my MJ thus it's not an MJ I want.. thus i could care less about this film now.

plain and simple.

Im sure this film will still be great to those who do not care and have less investment.. but for me... sorry.. this isn't my generations spider-man so i'm bowing out.

im sure people will love it.. but i don't want to see or invest in a film that's not going to be the interpretation i want. so there's no way it will be good "to me"

18. MbJ Registered

Aside from being black I've seen nothing to indicate she's terrible. Well wait that and her wearing a buttoned shirt.:o

19. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

she's a terrible adaptation of the MJ i know and love.. because she's clearly NOT the mj i know and love... so thus she is terrible to me

this isn't really that hard to follow... this is not an adaptation i want or care to see

20. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

honestly.. i'd take the terrible Ultimate Cartoon's MJ complete with being the Carnage Queen over Homecoming's apparent take on the character.

21. MbJ Registered

Meh. Though I will say the reactions have been amusing.

22. BatsDC Side-Kicker

You've not seen any footage whatsoever, and have no idea how Zendaya will actually act in the movie

I've no idea how you can write her off based on that

23. Spider-man95 *Thwip*

What about Zendaya saying her character is dry and awkward? That's not MJ.

24. MbJ Registered

No she's wearing a long sleeved shirt she's gonna be terrible.

25. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

I was trying to be coy in that post. That is the one post that grossed me out. None of the other posters have implied any sinister motives. The vast, majorty of posts I have seen have been just fine. Just people stating their opinion... that I happen to disagree with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.