Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Laura looks more like MJ there than Zendaya does in her photos.

agreed.

and for reference, here's what nerdy, science minded Gwen from TASM dressed like:

latest

latest

you want nerdy, "brainy" MJ from the Ultimate comics? that's what she should look like. She'd still look striking and beautiful even as a smart science nerd. She's certainly not all frumpy and buttoned up like Zendaya's MJ appears to be.

indeed, TASM Gwen felt more like Ultimate MJ. Zendaya's MJ feels more inspired by TSSM Gwen, even though TSSM Gwen was always attractive and cute even when she dressed more conservatively at the start.

that's why this is all messed up!! lol

So... it's just a little bit unsettling to hear "I told you so" in reference to these changes, as though the outcry about MJ is proof something bad has actually happened... as though Marvel isn't actually saving the character and doing him justice, so you have to put it in air quotes. Marvel's changes, which I agree have been MANY, really have worked, not just commercially, but in most instances, to get at the heart of these characters in a way that wouldn't work trying to use all the trappings of the originals.

I do agree with the inevitability you're talking about, but the inevitability doesn't come from Marvel Studios... they're largely responding to the fans, and to the market. If the market didn't like diversity, or updating of 60s tropes, or reversal of themes in some cases (Mandarin), then, well... they wouldn't attract such arduous fanship.

Vulture and Shocker and Tinkerer aren't exactly scene stealers. If they're used well, you can have 7 distinct villains, like in The Dark Knight.

:up:

It's almost like many of those changes were unimportant things most people off the internet don't care about...

The past few days I've seen people bug out over changes made to the Tinkerer and Ned Leeds, as if those were iconic, fan-favorite characters :funny:

and Z shouldn't be playing MJ for that same reason

Ah, that's the misunderstanding. No, an adaptation is not a historical document, like a biopic. In fact, an adaptation that fails to adapt is a failed adaptation. A biopic that fails to adapt is a successful biopic.

we all have passions.. and out of the Marvel Universe MJ has always been in my top 5.. beating out multiple heroes... im passionate about the character and she made a major impact on me since i was a child.. bad place my fiance coincidentally is a red head with the initials MJ. .. she's a big deal to me.

I actually totally agree with this particular paragraph. MJ is a very special character to me as well, so I can understand people being disappointed, despite that I'm not against this casting choice.

The past few days I've seen people bug out over changes made to the Tinkerer and Ned Leeds, as if those were iconic, fan-favorite characters :funny:

changes to Ned and Tinkerer ( or Shocker ) don't really bother me.

changes to a major, iconic character like MJ does bother me. and not just a small, minor change. but major changes to both the character's looks and personality.

Ned bothers me a little because I was hoping they could set it up for him to be framed as Hobgoblin but changes to Tinkerer and Shocker don't bother me as much. MJ yes.

Didn't you know the MCU ended once and for all when they made Heimdall black, had Hawkeye not wear a purple mask, and made Yellowjacket a separate character?:o

Not all the people who are a little disapointed, are evil white guy that vote Trump and eat baby.

I am half black and like a lot of people, I just like when the actor look a little like the character that I like and care about.

It's subjective, I am very glad about Deadpool or Batman's costume.

I don't want Superman to have blonde hair, I find that's important to his iconic look.

I don't find Barry's hair iconic so I don't care much.

I don't care much who play Valkyrie, I don't know her.
But I know and like Mary Jane's appearance.

Shocker is way less know so there will less people unhappy about the change.
My post was really directed at one person, the person who said that they wished a sexist scumbag still had power over the Marvel films in response to Marvel's diverse casting as of late.

I have been very careful on here and on twitter not to blanket call people racist as I think that is wrong. I think that I have the right to respond to a disgusting post though. I'm not lumping the purists in with racists so don't lump me in with people who call everyone who are purists racists. I've already said that I feel that most purists are just that, purists.

Last edited:
per Jon Watts stated influence:
pTAnkwg.jpg

cOOcgxq.jpg

She puts on a mask alot like here later on:
6ONZ483.jpg

and then at the end of that same issue:
x8vRDgy.jpg

1S8tqyh.jpg

changes to Ned and Tinkerer ( or Shocker ) don't really bother me.

changes to a major, iconic character like MJ does bother me. and not just a small, minor change. but major changes to both the character's looks and personality.

And that's fair. As for me, I'm just going to wait and see how this plays out before I complain.

If she's wrong for the role in the story they want to tell, I'll be upset. If the story they want to tell somehow doesn't nail the spirit of the character/source material (like every MCU film has thus far), I'll be even more upset.

However, we don't know enough to make that call either way.

Yeah that piece of crap getting the boot has been nothing but good. The people complaining about how diversity should come from existing diverse characters and not racebending? Hey guess what, Perlmutter didn't want those characters either.

Cable has 4 names Nathan Christopher Charles Summers

Dayspring Askani'son ;)

More seriously, it's probably Mary-Jane Michelle Watson, not Mary Jane Michelle Watson if that's the road they're going down.

except.......the set pic vibe does NOT match that.

that's the issue.

It's pretty thin to go off a set pick "vibe." Maybe at least a trailer?

Ah, that's the misunderstanding. No, an adaptation is not a historical document, like a biopic. In fact, an adaptation that fails to adapt is a failed adaptation. A biopic that fails to adapt is a successful biopic.

I really dont care..

we've already had one terrible MJ adaptation and are already getting another. just because something is an adaptation doesn't mean they are immune to criticism for going "willy nilly" and straying from source... when alot of fans still want to see that version of the character adapted.

My post was really directed at one person, the person who said that they wished a sexist scumbag still had power over the Marvel films in response to Marvel's diverse casting as of late.

I have been very careful on here and on twitter not to blanket call people racist as I think that is wrong. I think that I have the right to respond to a disgusting post though. I'm not lumping the purists in with racists so don't lump me in with people who call everyone who are purists racists. I've already said that I feel that most purists are just that, purists.

Sorry since you said:
"I love that the Mary Jane and Valkyrie casting upsets a certain group of fans. Those are the people that I don't give a damn what they think and I don't respect their opinions and don't give a damn about their feelings.

**** sexist ash Pelmutter."

I thought you were speaking about all the people upset and not just the one Pelmutter fanboy.
You have all the right to criticize his post.

Oh wow, you've seen the movie? Do tell!

it's not my MJ thus it's not an MJ I want.. thus i could care less about this film now.

plain and simple.

Im sure this film will still be great to those who do not care and have less investment.. but for me... sorry.. this isn't my generations spider-man so i'm bowing out.

im sure people will love it.. but i don't want to see or invest in a film that's not going to be the interpretation i want. so there's no way it will be good "to me"

we've already had one terrible MJ adaptation and are already getting another.

Aside from being black I've seen nothing to indicate she's terrible. Well wait that and her wearing a buttoned shirt.:o

Aside from being black I've seen nothing to indicate she's terrible. Well wait that and her wearing a buttoned shirt.

she's a terrible adaptation of the MJ i know and love.. because she's clearly NOT the mj i know and love... so thus she is terrible to me

this isn't really that hard to follow... this is not an adaptation i want or care to see

honestly.. i'd take the terrible Ultimate Cartoon's MJ complete with being the Carnage Queen over Homecoming's apparent take on the character.

You've not seen any footage whatsoever, and have no idea how Zendaya will actually act in the movie

I've no idea how you can write her off based on that

Aside from being black I've seen nothing to indicate she's terrible. Well wait that and her wearing a buttoned shirt.:o

What about Zendaya saying her character is dry and awkward? That's not MJ.

No she's wearing a long sleeved shirt she's gonna be terrible.

Sorry since you said:
"I love that the Mary Jane and Valkyrie casting upsets a certain group of fans. Those are the people that I don't give a damn what they think and I don't respect their opinions and don't give a damn about their feelings.

**** sexist ash Pelmutter."

I thought you were speaking about all the people upset and not just the one Pelmutter fanboy.
You have all the right to criticize his post.
I was trying to be coy in that post. That is the one post that grossed me out. None of the other posters have implied any sinister motives. The vast, majorty of posts I have seen have been just fine. Just people stating their opinion... that I happen to disagree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"