Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 91

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this arguing, please tell me they have not officially confirmed Zendaya is MJ.

Depends on what you're looking for in confirmation. Marvel/Sony? No, they haven't confirmed or denied anything. Which I find is interesting because they have no issues debunking rumors but yet this is Day Two now and still nothing.

Now, TheWrap, Vulture, Marvelous Realm, and I believe Devin Faraci have basically said it's happening. James Gunn has made two comments about it, one on Twitter and one on his Facebook, and Dan Slott has made comments about it, too.

Also, the AtlantaFilming account on Twitter says the story has legs, so..

Well all that matters if she can portray the character good and since Marvel is in charge everything should be fine.

She can't portray the character well if the character isn't written well or designed well...

Flash and Liz are ESSENTIAL to Peter's High-school years, they have to be included

Not really.. this is liz's first film and she wasn't lacking in the previous ones... and flash was forget able in both

I honestly don't care about MJ's ethnicity. As long as she dyes her hair red I'm all good.

Last I checked even in vastly diverse communities the circle of friends doesn't look like a community college pamphlet. It's not realism it's idealism

There's a difference. All races usually tend to gravitate towards their own race in that majority of their friends are that if the same. Sure you can still have a diverse group.. but unless you're a minority in a all "blank race" community you still probably have more white friends if white, black if black, Latino if latino, Asian if Asian etc.. hell most large cities have racial communities any who

Idealism is great to show, it empowers everyone.. but it's not all that "realistic" and the term should probably quit getting used

I saw it all the time in Los angeles. Even in colleges.
When you go to a High-school that's diverse, you're to encounter a ton of races different to your own. We're talking about a 15 year-old who goes to a Queens High-school, not an independent adult

Not really.. this is liz's first film and she wasn't lacking in the previous ones... and flash was forget able in both
Because they didn't utilize him at all. This is Flash's first film as a main character like he should be.

You can bet Mr. Watts is going to be very careful in interviews from now on.

You haven't even see her act as MJ yet you judge her just on her look for we all know she can be a great MJ.

you don't need to see her act to get an initial impression and idea of what her character will be like.

like it or not, people do get judged based on how they dress and look.

if I dress like a mousy librarian, then people are going to get the impression that I am more the quiet and reserved type. and how you dress and look does reflect your personality.

if I walk out of the house wearing a shirt with provocative imagery, then people will get the impression that I like to make statements and I don't really give a **** about how people judge me. they may also get the impression that I like to cause trouble.

and Zendaya herself has already given an idea of what her character is like - super dry and awkward.

and awkward matches her set pics.

what it doesn't match, however, is how MJ is traditionally supposed to be like.

Last edited:
Because they didn't utilize him at all. This is Flash's first film as a main character like he should be.

And? They already proved he's not essential which is my point.

YOU just find him essential much like I find MY favorite take on MJ essential.. Ned Leeds and MJ have absolutely no reason to be in this film

Remember what happened with Woodley? It was fricking despicable how the fans treated her and she would've been a great MJ but petty fanboys didn't want to give her a chance. Now imagine what Fanboys would do if they announced it right off the bat that MJ will now be half-black. They'd go ****ing nuts. It's better to ease people into it.

better to do it and be upfront about it and get it out of the way beforehand.

there's going to be backlash regardless.

this is them trying to have their cake and eat it, too.

they want to be bold and risky by making the change. yet they don't have the guts to just come out and be PROUD of their bold decision.

instead, they have to play coy and misdirect and try to hide it for as long as possible.

When would they reveal the truth? Until the actual moment in the film?

If they have to "ease" the audience into accepting a change, if the backlash would be so great that they have to hide the truth, then maybe that's a sign that the shouldn't have made the change in the first place.

if they want to be bold and risky with the choice, then face the consequences head on and let the cards fall where they may.

I'm more upset that Isabella Amara might be playing Sally Avril tbh...

Remember what happened with Woodley? It was fricking despicable how the fans treated her and she would've been a great MJ but petty fanboys didn't want to give her a chance. Now imagine what Fanboys would do if they announced it right off the bat that MJ will now be half-black. They'd go ****ing nuts. It's better to ease people into it.

But if "ASM3" had become a thing and she was MJ, audiences would've been used to her as an actress not only from the "Divergent" series but other movies. Yes, there would've still been the fans who would've think she was ugly or whatever, but they forget what hair and makeup departments can do; not to mention wardrobe.

I was willing to give her a chance. Zendaya is very pretty... don't get me wrong but I think like these boards the reaction to Zendaya being MJ is going to be mixed and unlike these boards, racist comments will come out. Heck, look at the bigots who hate there was a black Stormtrooper in STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS or how there are more female heroines in that universe now let alone gay characters now canon in the books. There are folks who are going to be nasty with whatever franchise but I don't think the boards on here have gotten that far... at least I hope not.

Shailene was/is pretty attractive. Especially when she was on that show on ABC Family.

Shailene-Woodley-secret-life-of-the-american-teen-8597462-333-500.jpg

What good are they without The Bugle?
Hush! I keep telling myself that they're just keeping JJJ's casting a secret and I won't have to burn down Disney HQ for leaving out the Bugle AGAIN!!!:cmad:
I feel the same way. The entire hype forums are full of youngsters who care not about source material and basically talk down to those who want it adapted. I personally don't get it.. I mean, if we haven't seen it correctly portrayed... do that first. Then switch it up. Don't keep reinventing a broken wheel... fix it. Make it perfect. Then reinvent it.

If anyone thinks the only untouchable person you can't alter is spider-man... I feel like you kind of have missed the point... Peter has the most recognizable and we'll fleshed out supporting cast out of all the Marvel universe... and probably only second to Clark Kent's in all of comics..
See, I'm with you on characters, I don't like it when they alter a character to fit the story they're trying to tell. If MJ turns out to not be her iconic, fun-loving self, then I'll be quite vexed. But race has nothing to do with her character.
All I see at this party is lemon cake and pineapple upside down.. there's is no cheesecake, no birthday, no fudge... just tart and gross
Hey, don't be hating on lemon tart!
Exactly right. No one hates her but a lot of us hate racial pandering.

Such changes are just pandering to the PC crowd for whatever dumb reason. It's ridiculous to change source material ethnicity and no amount of brain washed politically correct pandering will lend credence to the move. This foolishness doesn't do anyone any favors and reinforces this ultra-sensitive idiotic and paranoid generation.

This ADDS to the problem and pandering is racist in and of itself when you think about it.
And now you've been drawn down here... Are you going to bring your sales data and try to claim it proves you right again?
This makes me so happy. I just hope they get the character right, and by right I mean planning for an Agent Venom spinoff in the long term. Because if not, Revolori should have held off for a chance at being Kyle Raynor or Jaime Reyes over at DC.

I'm more upset that Isabella Amara might be playing Sally Avril tbh...

Yeah, like what the heck??

I know it's just Sally...still really weird. Sally is supposed to be the head cheerleader, most popular girl in school.

what the heck has been my reaction to this entire casting process except Tom and Keaton.

I just looked up the actress.

and once again, if this is true, then this another example of casting someone who doesn't match the character she's supposed to be playing.

although, with Sally, it doesn't bother me as much because she's much lower on the tier of characters.

but still.........

you don't need to see her act to get an initial impression and idea of what her character will be like.

like it or not, people do get judged based on how they dress and look.

if I dress like a mousy librarian, then people are going to get the impression that I am more the quiet and reserved type. and how you dress and look does reflect your personality.

if I walk out of the house wearing a shirt with provocative imagery, then people will get the impression that I like to make statements and I don't really give a **** about how people judge me. they may also get the impression that I like to cause trouble.

and Zendaya herself has already given an idea of what her character is like - super dry and awkward.

and awkward matches her set pics.

what it doesn't match, however, is how MJ is traditionally supposed to be like.

tumblr_ml87q0tkrp1re3x32o1_.gif

if we just made everything like the tssm cartoon then everyone would be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"