Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 94

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garfield and Emma were leaps and bounds more believable as highschoolers than kirsten and tobey, but they also had to be considering one whole film was based in highschool, where as Spider-Man 1 just began in highschool and transitioned relatively fast to college.

Good point.

Michael Massee, who played the Gentleman in the Amazing franchise, has passed away. Real shame, he was a really underrated actor. Woulda made a great Norman had they gone that way. RIP. :csad:

Variety

RIP. His character really got shortchanged in TASM2 after a great tease in the first movie.

Shame about Michael Masse. What a tasteless Variety article though. Spends most of the article memorialising Brandon Lee instead.

That was pretty great haha. The fist pump and exuberance made it. Seems like a really good guy (outside of taking himself too seriously overall IMO).

Garfield's a great guy and a good actor... I just don't think he approached the role correctly and was labored with uneven scripts.

Shame he'll mostly be remembered as the fill in guy between Maguire and Holland, but his career will go from strength to strength I'm sure.

Andrew is a great talent,he was just in the wrong Spidey movies. Imagine him in Raimi's movies and he could have been irreplaceable.

^well, he would have at least been age appropriate if he was first cast in the Raimi's movies and those films could've carried on a lot longer without him getting too old for the role

Garfield and Emma were leaps and bounds more believable as highschoolers than kirsten and tobey, but they also had to be considering one whole film was based in highschool, where as Spider-Man 1 just began in highschool and transitioned relatively fast to college.

It also helps that Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were dating in real life at that time, so that chemistry also came through in their performances.

^well, he would have at least been age appropriate if he was first cast in the Raimi's movies and those films could've carried on a lot longer without him getting too old for the role

Yeah I mean figuratively,if he was in Tobey's place he could have been iconic in the role.

For sure. Andrew isn't to blame for the terrible screenwriting and executive meddling that ruined the ASM movies..

I prefer his Spidey to his Parker tho, while I prefer Tobey's Parker to his Spidey. There hasn't been a well rounded performance yet. I think Holland might be the closest so far.

I still feel as though none of the first 2 incarnations of Spider-Man got his humor right. Tobey & Andrew both had some cringe-worthy lines. We haven't seen enough of Holland yet to compare, but I have a feeling being in the MCU will help in that area. They seem to excel in that department.

I don't really think Garfield would have fit into the Raimi movies, not the way he approached the role anyways.

I still feel as though none of the first 2 incarnations of Spider-Man got his humor right. Tobey & Andrew both had some cringe-worthy lines. We haven't seen enough of Holland yet to compare, but I have a feeling being in the MCU will help in that area. They seem to excel in that department.

It's not necessarily as easy to translate Spidey's brand of comic book humor to film. I agree there have been a handful of cringe-y lines in the previous installments, but I also thought each one has done a decent to pretty good job with the humor as well. They may not have been perfect, but I just don't see how you could necessarily do it that much better

Even CW, it was pretty good but still seemed very forced a lot of the time imho. It's just really hard to do

It's not necessarily as easy to translate Spidey's brand of comic book humor to film. I agree there have been a handful of cringe-y lines in the previous installments, but I also thought each one has done a decent to pretty good job with the humor as well. They may not have been perfect, but I just don't see how you could necessarily do it that much better

Even CW, it was pretty good but still seemed very forced a lot of the time imho. It's just really hard to do

May just be my bias talking, but the only lines I've cringed at were from Civil War. When Tobey quipped, it was tolerable-hilarious. Same goes for Andrew. Tom's was the one that just didn't seem to fit.

"You have the right to remain silent!" :doh:

Dark Raven, I believe, has pointed out the error in Spidey's quippage numerous times. To your point though, they really can't do much better than what we've had previously because humor is and always will be subjective to the individual.

The only genuinely funny quip in any Spider-man movie was Garfield's "you've found my weakness, it's small knives" line from ASM. The rest range from fine to intolerable, up until CW, which had a few good quips, including the Empire Strikes back line.

The only genuinely funny quip in any Spider-man movie was Garfield's "you've found my weakness, it's small knives" line from ASM. The rest range from fine to intolerable, up until CW, which had a few good quips, including the Empire Strikes back line.

"That's a cute outfit, did your husband give it to you?" was the best quip, imo and funny enough...it was the first one.

"That's a cute outfit, did your husband give it to you?" was the best quip, imo and funny enough...it was the first one.

Sounds exactly like something Spidey would say too. And not something you'd expect to hear from Maguire's Peter, which makes it that much more "Spider-Man-y".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monoxdifly
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"