Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 98

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with ya til the end of the line Harry, people who say "won't translate well to film" probably don't know there's a movie with a TALKING TREE AND RACCOON!

This argument doesn't really hold water since Groot is an alien, Rocket is an experiment done by aliens and Spidey's webbing is just skillfull human chemistry. For it to be believable in MCU that Spidey can cast a giant web fist or hammer out of thin air it would have to be said that Spidey wields magic or something as outlandish

He looks like he's wearing a diaper. The waist is a bit too high in comparison to Civil War. But it's not a big deal. Just funny.

That USA today was an interesting read. I'd guess that the dramatic arc of this movie is at least partially Peter remembering his roots as a guy from Queens after having a huge adventure as Spider-Man. Maybe he starts trying too hard to be awesome superhero and starts neglecting his friends and school.

That might be interesting. Balancing Peter Parker and Spider-Man is nothing new, but it is a theme that works for the character.

Absolutely love what I heard from that article. Peter's life as Spider-Man is contrasted by day-to-day life as Peter. It must be hard fighting with the Avengers and then going back to 'boring' normal life, especially for a kid. Dual-dual identities, classic Spidey, really.

And the Vulture. :up: Since Spidey's ground-level it makes sense that his villains be as well.

Reposting for new thread, first official still:

CzJjox7XEAALExq.jpg:large

msDJ53O.jpg

We’ve already seen five big-budget Spider-Man films. Get ready for the first Peter Parker movie.

Tom Holland follows up his introduction as the wall-crawling Marvel hero in last May’s Captain America: Civil War and digs into the daily life of the New York City teenager underneath the mask in Spider-Man: Homecoming (in theaters July 7). Directed by Jon Watts (Cop Car), the coming-of-age story features Peter attending his high school for gifted kids, trying to impress his new benefactor Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) and also dealing with a pesky arch enemy, the Vulture (Michael Keaton).

For Holland, it's less an action movie and "more a character piece about this kid who's struggling to talk to girls and also struggling to save the city," says the 20-year-old British actor.

Homecoming begins with Peter wrestling with a return to his normal life in Queens after being recruited by Stark and surviving his first huge superhero battle (see: Civil War). Taking the subway to school again for his sophomore year is tough for the kid.

“He literally just went to Europe with the coolest clique of them all,” says co-producer Eric Hauserman Carroll. “And now he’s back with the academic decathlon and the mathletes and going, ‘What am I doing here?’"

Both the previous Spidey incarnations — in the 2000s with Tobey Maguire and the more recent pair of Andrew Garfield movies — featured Peter getting his powers through a radioactive spider bite and his Uncle Ben's wise words (“With great power comes great responsibility”) becoming a heroic mantra.

But Homecoming is skipping that backstory. The filmmakers want to focus on his life as a teen crushing on girls and navigating his formative years, albeit with really cool abilities.

This is really a movie where Spider-Man’s not the finished article,” Holland says. “He really does learn and he makes massive mistakes. It’s nice to see a kid do that and then try to rectify those mistakes.”

Peter is also still figuring out the high-tech suit that Stark gave him. The getup fans saw in Civil War “can do a lot more than he even realizes right now,” says producer and Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige. In Homecoming, “you begin to see just how much Tony Stark loves bells and whistles."

The young supporting cast includes Jacob Batalon as Peter’s best friend Ned Leeds, Laura Harrier as his dream girl Liz Allan, Tony Revolori as bully Flash Thompson and Zendaya as their classmate Michelle.

Marisa Tomei reprises her Civil War role as Peter’s Aunt May, while Keaton co-stars as the movie's resident bad guy Adrian Toomes, an average Joe with criminal tendencies and a wicked wing suit.

“The first time we see the Vulture is terrifying,” Holland teases. “It’s like a horror movie: really scary, very intense and shocking.”

The Spidey foe is different than other Marvel baddies such as Thanos and Ultron, Watts says. “It’s fun to think that if Spider-Man is a regular kid who becomes a superhero, there’s got to be a bunch of regular guys who become supervillains, too.”
USA Today

I wonder what else the suit can do besides Webpits.

I reckon we'll see the spider-tracers.

About the suit, one thing that came to my mind when I was at a party (yeah, I'm really fun at parties) is how he handles excitement, all things considered (teenager, latex, meetings with Black Cat).

On a more serious note, it will probably be about 5am when the trailer drops so I just want to say that I hate my life so much right now.

Trailer has been classified; 1:41 in length

Decent length. A bit shorter than Logan.

Every time I hear "skipping the backstory" my heart swells.

Anyone think the trailer will drop sometime today before kimmell?

Trailer tonight!! Hype level is over 9000 right now!

Wait, so is Keaton confirmed as the Vulture? Maybe it's just misdirection? I'm still betting he's JJ, or Uncle Ben in flashbacks...

raw

Did roach ever post any other details from his friend seeing the trailer yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"