Homecoming Spider-Man: Homecoming User Reviews Thread *SPOILERS*

I really enjoyed the movie, loved the cast from top to bottom, it was funny, entertaining and the action was great. I felt slight disapointment that all but one of zendayta scenes in the movie have already been shown in clips and trailers leading up to the release of the movie. Same to little donald glover. BVut both characters have potrential for more screen time in the future.
Loved watching Peter freak out going to Liz house and the drive to the dance, so good. Tom holland such good actore loved him since the impossible perfect casting as peter parker. All round 9/10 for me

Here's my full review:

Spiderman: Homecoming is....competent. The high school drama is well done, the action is pretty standard for a superhero movie (save for the unspectacular final act), the acting is great, and the script is middling at best.

I really got the John Hughes vibe they were going for with the film. You get the sense that Peter is living a real high school life, which gives the character the shot of reliability that most other superheroes lack. It also helps that the supporting cast (from Logan Marshall Green's likeable professor to the school reporters) feel like they could exist in real life. The whole high school portion of the film is so well done that I wish they spent more time with it. It just has great comedic/emotional potential that they should (hopefully) tap into in future films. That's the good news.

Now, for the parts I didn't really like: the superhero stuff. In general (coz I don't want to give spoilers away), this was the first time that I didn't really want Peter to suit up. Blame it on the suburban-setting action sequences, or the oftentimes dull villain, or the spotty CGI, but I just wasn't feeling it when he was Spidey. It felt too much like he was just Spidey so that he could be an Avenger. Also, the suit is um...not Spiderman-like. It doesn't feel like Peter actually did anything with the suit on his own and that all these enhancements are literally handed down on him. I mean, I get that they did this in service of the overall arc but the impact of that arc, too, gets taken away once you get to the final scene.

The suit and the Avengers arc leads me to my next criticism: a lack of responsibility to this Spiderman. Sure, I get it, he's supposed to be fun, but he does what he does because "if the bad things happen" and he's not there, "then that's on him". This is a line said by Peter himself in Civil War, but nowhere did I feel that he was doing it for this reason in Homecoming. There's a moment in this movie that could have been one of the best (if not the best) Spiderman moment ever put on film. But, the full impact of that moment didn't hit me it because that moment could have been so much better if they could have somehow shown that he's doing what he does because "with great power comes great responsibility".

However, having said that, there were great moments in there that genuinely made me chuckle. There's a goofiness that Holland brings to the role that (when paired with a good script, which this film sadly doesn't have) could have been really well done. As it stands though, that goofiness only shines through in some of the sequences. (Just as an aside, there is going to be a drinking game invented soon on how many times Peter/Spidey uses the word "awesome". It's not a thing you can ignore. He uses it a LOT.)

Overall, there are parts of this film that I absolutely loved. But, there were also parts that brought down my overall enjoyment. I get why critics and general moviegoers will love it though. It's made for them.

On an optimistic note, there is nothing in my criticisms that cannot be fixed in a upcoming movie. With a better screenplay, they can hopefully reinforce why Spiderman is Spiderman in the first place.

Rating: 6-6.5/10 (a solid 7 if I were a casual viewer)

Basically just confirmed my greatest personal fears..... Thanks for the review mate :up: will be seeing it for myself tomorrow so I can give my own thoughts. Hope everyone else who sees it enjoys it

Sweet movie, which gets oftentimes bogged down by its lack of independence. The link between the villains (which I actually really, really liked, and Michael Keaton is amazing as the Vulture!) and the Avengers works better than the one between the Avengers and Peter. Too much time is spent with the costume and its (unnecessary) functions, which could've been used to tell more important and interesting stuff.

Tom Holland really won me over as Peter Parker / Spider-Man. I found him quite bland and annoying in Civil War, and he still is his introduction here (the v-log), but after that his portrayal as Peter is great. Finally a worthy successor to Tobey Maguire (as much as I like Andrew Garfield, I can't stand his Peter/Spidey).

Thanks, once again. Thinking it'll be anywhere from a 5 to a 7 when I see it. Hoping for the best but there's a lot holding this film back.

I would suggest going with an open mind. You never know...what didn't work for me could possibly work for you :).

Basically just confirmed my greatest personal fears..... Thanks for the review mate :up: will be seeing it for myself tomorrow so I can give my own thoughts. Hope everyone else who sees it enjoys it

Again, go see it without any preconceived notions. You may just end up enjoying it :).

It was ok. I wanted to like this more than I did. Tom Holland was great and the movie was very entertaining. I have a lot of nit-picking and things I didn't like. This was maybe the least comic accurate Spider-Man movie. I don't think I can give more than 3/5 to this.

I was really disappointed. This is Marvel's worst film, and by far the worst Spider-man film ever made. It's adapation of Spider-man's supporting characters and world is so bad that if this was made by anyone other than Marvel it would be the FFINO.

As a movie it's just okay. Performances are good. I really liked Holland and Keaton. I don't know if it's something I'll watch ever again, which is saying something because I watch Spider-man 3 and The Amazing Spider-man 2 not infrequently.

If Wonder Woman and Logan showed what can happen when filmmakers embrace and understand a character and their world, Spider-man: Homecoming shows what happens when they don't.

5.5/10.

I was really disappointed. This is Marvel's worst film, and by far the worst Spider-man film ever made. It's adapation of Spider-man's supporting characters and world is so bad that if this was made by anyone other than Marvel it would be the FFINO.

As a movie it's just okay. Performances are good. I really liked Holland and Keaton. I don't know if it's something I'll watch ever again, which is saying something because I watch Spider-man 3 and The Amazing Spider-man 2 not infrequently.

If Wonder Woman and Logan showed what can happen when filmmakers embrace and understand a character and their world, Spider-man: Homecoming shows what happens when they don't.

5.5/10.

damn, indeed.

I really enjoyed the movie,
there are some weirdly written\directed scenes but it doesn't bother me too much.
Tom Holland was great,really looking forward to future appearances.

5.5/10.
disappointing.your confirming my worst fears as someone who loves spidey.
i figured keaton would be good.

i probaly will go sunday because i love spider-man and after discussing film i should give it a watch to see if they can try to win me over or at least see if film has any redeeming qualitys.

like you i owon all 5 previous spider-man films though spider-man 3 and amazing spider-man 2 are the ones i watch the least.

I really enjoyed Homecoming. It is a fun, enjoyable film. But, in my opinion, this is no Spider-man 1 and most certainly no Spiderman 2. The movie lacks the intense emotional stakes and drama and edge of your seat visceral action set pieces that Raimi mastered so well.

But, on its own two feet, Homecoming is hands down a worthy successor to those first two films and the potential is there to surpass those films in the future. Like most Marvel origin films like Dr Strange, Antman, Cap and Thor, this movie was about setting a foundation for the future. And your mileage may vary on how you feel about that. Raimi dove head first into Spidey's world in the very first film and covered a ton of ground impressively within 2 hours, but this movie is about Peter Parker and him becoming Spiderman and embracing his destiny for the future.

Holland carries the film, he is a great Peter and a great spiderman. His supporting cast is charming and provide a lot of laughs. And Keaton is def the best Marvel villain since Loki.

All in all, this film is going to garner a reception just like Antman and Dr Strange, and what I mean by that is the your mileage will vary depending on what you're expecting out of this movie. Some are going to call it "the best spiderman movie ever" some will say "best superhero movie ever" others will say "i was disappointed" " it was ok" or "its just another Marvel film". I foresee this movie having a lot of mixed feelings on it. But it is a good, solid movie, but do not go into it expecting it to knock Raimi's first two movies off their throne. Its not there yet. But it might be in the future.

8/10.

After seeing this movie, I pined for the likes of Spider-Man 2.

I really wanted to like this movie, considering the great cast and high RT score. I was leery of Kevin Feige's desire to make it more like a 1980s John Hughes comedy from the start, and some of my fears were realized. Watts and his co-writers spend a third of the film trying to ape Hughes or pay homage to his movies, and it didn't work for me. Peter's friend was equal parts funny and irritating. Although I did love the ending shot with Peter and Aunt May.

It doesn't help that most of the action is badly shot and edited. There's nothing in SM:H that comes close to the action sequences in Raimi or even Webb's films. Like
the final climax involving the shielded plane and the amusement park

It's an adequate movie, but the high RT score bewilders me. There was nothing in SM:H that equaled the power and scope of Spider-Man 2. The Peter/Michelle scenes are cute, but Holland and Zendaya don't have that spark that Maguire and Dunst had. The movie regurgitates some of the same themes from SM-2, but it doesn't resonate. It felt empty and perfunctory.

6/10

damn, indeed.

disappointing.your confirming my worst fears as someone who loves spidey.

Heaps of positive feedback comes in, and it's largely ignored by you guys. Someone posts a negative review, and you all appear acting like "Oh damn" "My worst fears have been confirmed" etc.

How does that work exactly? How do you ignore all the positive and focus on the minority negative?

Spider-Man: Homecoming is easily the first good Spider-Man film since Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2. While I wouldn't say it was mindblowing, it is a pretty entertaining film, and definitely worth while if you're a diehard Spidey fan.

Tom Holland just might be the best Spider-Man we've seen yet. There's virtually nothing to complain about in terms of his performance.

Robert Downey Jr is in this movie for the right amount of time. As most rational people guessed, his presence in this movie isn't intrusive or overbearing.

Michael Keaton was pretty solid as the Vulture, and more memorable than most MCU villains. He manages to be menacing and relatable, a far cry from the weaker Spider-Man movie villains of recent years.

Jacob Batalon and Zendaya provide efficient comic relief in their respective roles, and the rest of the supporting cast are likable enough.

7.5-8/10

I'm not a Spider-Man film fan. I've seen them all in theaters once but don't own the DVDs. I really love Spider-Man ever since Spiderman & X-Men: Arcade's Revenge back in the day.

Short and sweet. I'm going to buy the Blu Ray and definitely see this again. My favorite Spider-Man movie hands down.

9/10

1 point for some cringey scenes with Liz. I liked the one right before he leaves from the hotel. The rest were meh except the shared one with Keaton.

But it was cool the love interest wasnt a dominant part of the story. I hated that about the other movies. So I should give the point back

10/10

I went to the first showing of Spider-man Homecoming at my theater, and it was absolutely amazing! In my opinion, this is the best Spider-man movie yet as well as the best interpretation of the character so far. I love the storyline they went with, how they focused on Peter's high-school as well as him being a superhero. I thought the Vulture was a great villain, and his role really expanded the Marvel lore.

My only complaint is that I felt like the movie had a little too much bad language and crude humor. I could be mistaken, but I thought I even heard at least two or three F-bombs in there. There were a couple moments that I felt slightly uncomfortable during, but overall it was a great and very fun experience. I would definitely recommend this movie, but only for high-school age and up.

Here's mini-review from the MCU vs. DCCU thread. Though I should put it here:

Homecoming was pure joy. Ranking the MCU has become almost impossible to me, but as of now it probably is in my Top 3 with GOTG's vol. 1 and 2. Loved it. Holland is the Spider-Man/Peter Parker as far as I'm concerned. Keaton's Vulture is a Grade A villain. Every single character is good to great. Might have the best humor in any superhero movie, surprisingly acid in more than a few moments (Betty Brant's dry deliveries killed me - and so many other scenes). Great script with well-thought plot twists. I don't know if it tops Spider-Man 2, but I also don't know if it's topped by it. Probably Top 5 superhero movie material for me. After how disappointed I was with TASM2, this was a truly amazing (sorry for the pun) comeback. 10/10. Bring on the sequel.

Heaps of positive feedback comes in, and it's largely ignored by you guys. Someone posts a negative review, and you all appear acting like "Oh damn" "My worst fears have been confirmed" etc.

How does that work exactly? How do you ignore all the positive and focus on the minority negative?

And it's same posters over and over and over. It's legitimately pushing me away from the boards. Thankfully some extra toxic posters got perma-banned.

That's how the internet works bud

One of the best solo movies for me up there with Captain America: The Winter Soldier for sure. My only little gripe I had was the chronology and setting of the movie. So the events of the first Avengers movie happened 8 years ago? That didn't happen in 2009? Someone help me out here?

That confused me when I was watching it. But other than that, it's an amazing movie.

Must've missed the part when I posted:

Liking these reviews, guys!

In response to said positive reviews, which were also well detailed..and a simple page ago. :huh:

Confirmation bias

So it might follow the trend of
"Great first watch"
"Yea there were a few flaws, but still it was a blast"
Home video: "Yea its ok."

Now this doesn't happen to all the Marvel films. However, those are under strong direction from Russo's, Gunn, Whedon and I feel the same regarding the directors for the next few films. They know how to put their stamp on the film so it doesn't feel too TV. You don't want to lose out on the cinematic experience.

However, Watts style gives me worry about this movie's re-watchability. Some of the flaws people point out, even the ones that love it, are things that don't age well.

Anyway I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot in theaters at least.

Last edited:
Oh...this is the review thread!

Enjoyed it but not as much as I expected with the reviews. I didn't laugh out loud very much and neither did anyone else in the theater. Not sure where this idea comes from that it's hilarious. GotG 2 is way funnier.

Not a big fan of the Iron Man suit. I like Iron Man but don't want Spider-man's suit telling him how to fight. I've already got Iron Man for that. So I was most happy with the "if you can't do it without the suit you don't deserve it" stuff. That was pretty awesome.

Didn't care for the "push harder because you are inspired" thing with the rubble. Seen that too many times. Would have preferred him thinking of another way out other than "just pusher harder than you did".

Some of the action scenes were hard to follow. Got a Transformers vibe at times with the Vulture in particular. Not sure I ever got a real good look at him in a fight.

Really good story arc though. The filling in backstory from Civil War was awesome and done well. The overall thing with him proving himself worthy to Stark was a good idea. I kinda wanted him to give Stark a bigger piece of his mind when he took the suit back though. "Hey...you could have let me know you were on this!...how about a little back and forth communication here?! I thought it was up to me to stop them because you were too cool to let me know what was going on!"

Great scene with Iron Man handling the ferry too. Good look at how capable Iron Man really is. Spidey has a lot to learn and that's how it should be.

Holland is perfect as Peter. He was wonderful with both RDJ and with Batalon.

That scene between Holland and Keaton in the car...wow. Keaton was epic menacing and Holland played it perfect with his face. They set that whole "reveal" up perfectly too. I didn't see it coming and it stunned me.

Good balance of action and heart throughout.

Best Aunt May ever too. Tomei is awesome and the scene at the end did get a big laugh.

2nd post credits scene got the biggest laugh of the night. Perfect...Marvel actually poking fun at their own post credits scenes.

8/10 but really more of a 7.5/10 Far superior to the last 3 Spidey movies. Marvel had a positive effect for sure. Now let's get Fantastic Four back to them.

Sorry to hear about Stan Lee's wife passing. That often has a very negative effect on the surviving spouse.

Thought of a couple more things. I didn't think they explained how the Vulture got his suit very well. It just seemed to "happen". I guess he's the boss of a construction company who has a tech genius on his payroll for some reason?

The actor who played Flash was miscast. He's supposed to be a popular kid or something? No charisma there. I can't even remember what he looks like.

There is no way this is the best Spiderman movie, Spiderman 2 still wins by a mile. All of the Tony stark gadgets was a huge turnoff. And some of the fights were too dark and too confusing to see what was going on. Does the Spiderman even have spider sense ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"