Homecoming Spider-Man: Homecoming User Reviews Thread *SPOILERS*

Avoided watching footage for this movie, kept my expectations low because I've been hurt so many times from spidey movies. I ended up walking out amazed and even didn't mind the character changes. 8/10 (quality wise) but personally...it had everything I've been looking for in a spidey movie and they made Vulture menacing. Best villain since Ock. 9/10

Just got back from watching it. Going to give myself some time to digest, but overall: It's good. It's really good. Easily the best they've captured the Parker/Spider-man dynamic. It gets the high school life down pat, and has a very SSM feel. It's not perfect, and it has some flaws, though none big enough to seriously detract from the film. They are a bit annoying though, as many tend to be needless additions that do little to add to the story and could have been easily omitted, or needless omissions that could have been fixed with a simple line or two.

I will say, many of the negative comments I see are cases of people not really paying attention to the film. In many cases they criticise something for being absent that clearly was there, they just didn't spell it out for the audience.

8/10 for me. Catching it a second time, will review later.

I found it to be perfectly enjoyable, but not really that special. No where near Spider-Man 2. I'd probably rank it third behind the first two films. 7.5/10

I'm going to keep this short and sweet but it is hands-down the best Spider-Man movie in my opinion. Spider-Man 2 would probably be the one i rate as the next best one but my issue is that Sam Raimi's movies have gotten worse over time, at least to me. I saw this with my brother and he actually walked out grinning cause he never liked any of the Spider-Man movies but this one actually struck a chord with him.

The vulture was a really good villain and Michael Keaton definitely brought it. The supporting characters were also well served in this movie and actually added a great element to it. The smaller scale also worked in this films favor compared to the other Marvel movies that seem to be an end of the world type of story. I also thought that it was paced very well on there was never a dull moment.

I think the Tom Holland is easily the best Spider-Man I have seen on screen and this movie really made me excited to see what happens with his character that is now in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I am definitely going to watch it again just to look deeper into the movie but as of right now it is definitely the best Spider-Man movie in my opinion. Best CBM this year so far too.

9/10

I gave it an 8, I didn't love anything and I didn't hate anything. I found the movie to be solid.

I enjoy Holland as Parker, I like him way more than Garfield and Toby. He is playing younger innocent version.

I felt the movie was a slow burn, the first half hour up until the bank felt meh at times.

I found the twist to be a bit predictable because they had to make it personal. The scene was great though from the moment Peter finds out all the way to the dance.

Ned was a bit much at time, I wish he was like Luis from Ant-Man great in small doses.

That ending was a shock I didn't expect May to find out though. They mentioned he sucked at keeping secrets.

I liked it better than every other Spider-Man film though, I expect the next one to be better. He will truly get to stand alone in the movie and after the events of IWs too.

Forgot to add Glover's character looked high as hell, but I enjoyed his scene. He gave Peter good advice, he has to work on the whole intimidation thing. Yet at the same time we love that Peter is just a kid trying to help.

Firstly, this is my favorite Spider-Man movie since Spider-Man 2. I know that's not a difficult thing to achieve, but take that comment for what its worth. Overall, though, the first two Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies are still easily my favorites. Homecoming doesn't touch them, in my opinion. There's just something that the first two Raimi films did that work for me like no other comic book movies have been able to. I think it's because they romanticized Spider-Man's story and universe in a way that makes it feel so ... Cinematic. I don't know. Those movies still have that "IT" factor for me. If you don't like me making those comparisons, then whatever. Blame Sony for messing things up so badly that we now have a third series of Spider-Man movies in a span of only 15 years. :p

That said, there is a LOT to enjoy with Spider-Man: Homecoming. Tom Holland is simply adorable and lovable as Spidey. He makes it very easy to root for him. If you loved him in Captain America: Civil War, you will love him here. Simple as that. He is my favorite part of this movie, which is really the most important thing to get right, in my opinion. Love Tom Holland.

I'm just going to put a spoiler tag on the rest of my "review," as I am just typing what comes to my mind, which will include some spoilers. Raw thoughts, rather than a planned out review (because I'm not a professional reviewer or anything):

Some of my favorite parts of the film were the John Hughes-esque humor. The MCU continues its trend of giving their characters a specific "genre" for their movies by giving Spidey the "teen movie" genre. And it works so well here for the most part. The only thing I really had issue with was making pretty much all of the supporting characters "math nerds." Liz Allen, Flash Thompson, Michelle ... All of them. There needed to be more variety with the type of kids in high school. I would have been more okay with Flash being a nerd if they had delved into the "rival" thing a bit more and delved more into him being a rich brat too. It's not a huge deal though, as Flash IS just a supporting character, but I can't help but think that I would have preferred either developing him a bit more or just making him a jock again.

Speaking of which, the only thing about this movie that I can say that I flat-out disliked was making Michelle into "MJ." It reads as bad fanfiction. Just let Michelle be Michelle. No need to turn her into "Not Mary Jane." I hope this gets dropped in the next movie, because it's stupid. No bueno.

At first, I was NOT feeling all of the tech with Spider-Man's suit, or the amount of time spent on it. However, I see the point in why they took this route (in terms of his story and character arc with Tony), and I think it had payoff in the end. Based on what I saw in the trailers, I was hoping that we would see Peter say "no" to Tony either letting him have the suit back or being a part of the Avengers at the end of the movie. When that DID happen, my lil' heart swelled up so much. That's the Spidey I know and love! :hrt: Best part of the movie for me. It was beautiful. I plan on seeing the movie again, and I think I will enjoy these parts a lot more upon rewatch.

I might get a lot of hate for this, but while Michael Keaton was very good in this movie, I wouldn't call Vulture the best Spidey movie villain since Doc Ock. I'd say he's about as good as Sandman (who I overall loved in Spider-Man 3; come at me bro). This is by no means a knock against Vulture. It's just that if I had to rank the Spidey villains, this is how I would rank 'em.

In terms of the action, I thought it was very generic. I don't know what else to say, except that it didn't really "wow" me. It was fine. I hate to say it, but, I've seen what Spidey can do on the big screen before ... And I've seen him do more fantastical things before, too (in Civil War, even). This might be the weakest link of the movie for me. Also, the next movie needs to figure out how to showcase the Spider Sense, because this movie led me to believe that Spidey doesn't even have them in the MCU.

Overall, this is my third favorite Spider-Man movie, which makes me a happy, happy fan. I expect better next time around though, as I got some of that "Marvel Assembly Line Factory" vibe, as I think they played things a bit safe here (and I can understand why, to be fair). I wouldn't say that Spider-Man: Homecoming is among the MCU's absolute best, but it is nowhere near being the worst either (and the MCU's worst isn't even bad, just to give you an idea on how I feel).

In terms of 2017's comic book movies, this might be my least favorite one of the year so far ... But 2017 has been a hell of a year for comic book movies. If the worst that 2017 can do is "really good," then there's not much at all to complain about.

The last time my face hurt from smiling too much was when I saw the Avengers for the first time and it happened again tonight. Finally. Finally I can say that a Spider-man film actually made me unabashedly enjoy BOTH Peter Parker and Spider-man. It hasn't happened in thirteen years and even then Tobey's Peter Parker/Spider-man was nowhere near as organic as Holland's take. Holland's performance ran the gamut in showing joy, innocence, vulnerability, anxiety, fear, and had great comedic timing on top of that without coming off as campy. He is the definitive Peter Parker/Spider-man now and I look forward to seeing him grow in the role.

My thoughts are all over the place and I'm not able to write a coherent review so I'm just going to go with the pros and cons format.

Pros - The best thing I can say about this film is it felt like nothing I had seen before. The high school setting worked great and not one character annoyed me. Not even the love interest annoyed me for once lol...probably because she got just the right amount of screen time and was shown to be a likable person.

Michael Keaton also did a lot with limited time and made his presence felt, not so much as the Vulture of course but during the quieter moments with his crew and especially his conversations with Peter.
After the third act reveal the scene where he's driving Peter and Liz to the homecoming dance is probably my favorite scene in the entire movie. And his diatribe about the way the world works and the rich not caring about people like him most likely hit home with the crowd here because you could hear a pin drop when he was speaking. The silence was jarring after hearing so much laughter up to that point

For all the bellyaching about Tony Stark he was barely in the movie and his limited screen time was put to good use.

Great ending. Had the crowd laughing hard.

Cons -

The musical score was absolutely forgettable in this movie so I knocked a full point off for that. Besides Elfman's main theme the music in the Spider-man films have either been overbearing with trumpets galore or downright dull. Six films and they still haven't got it right.

The action was adequate for the most part as I understood we weren't going to get full-fledged Spider-man action from a rookie but the ball was dropped with the direction of the last action scene. The framing and editing made the action difficult to follow. Knocked off a half point for that.

I would give SMH a score of 8.5/10. It's up there with Spider-man 2 and will probably see-saw between #1 and #2 depending on my mood.

This movie is nearly perfect, and I didnt think that I'd be writing this going in. It's interesting, because it starts off not quite feeling like a Spider-man movie but slowly becomes what feels like a classic Spider-man story, so I left feeling like I've watched the essence of the character and the world (which was perfectly modernized).

Heaps of positive feedback comes in, and it's largely ignored by you guys. Someone posts a negative review, and you all appear acting like "Oh damn" "My worst fears have been confirmed" etc.

How does that work exactly? How do you ignore all the positive and focus on the minority negative?

Posters here are MUCH harsher than RT critics LMAO

To be fair, as an X-Men fan, majority of X-Men movies are considered as garbage in my book.

Last edited:
Loved it. Right behind Spider-Man 2 imo.

Could have done with less Ned and that Michelle bit at the end was definitely forced, but overall I thought this was a ton of fun. Awesome to have Spidey back in top form.

9/10

This felt so different compared to the MCU and general CBMs landscape. The premise of a completely inexperienced kid desperately trying to prove himself a hero while also struggling to handle his everyday life was brilliantly portrayed. Elements from the Amazing,Ultimate comics,the John Hughes' vibe,the coming-of-age story and MCU's own canon are beautifully interwoven. Tom Holland and Michael Keaton absolutely steal the show and the rest of the varied cast also contributes to give life to the picture. Tony's presence is minimal. It's a Spider-Man that we have never seen so far in a movie before,one that has so much to learn but is such an intrinsically good guy, you root for him even when he screws things up (and he screws up a lot!). There is no speech about responsibility, you see him trying to help people,you see Peter's life being affected by his double identity. Some purists won't be happy about some of the changes but the spirit, the essence of the character is all there and they clearly saved stuff for later. So thank you Marvel and Sony for making this happen.

I came in with pretty high expectations..having heard from reviews this could be the best Spider Man movie ever...RT score in the 90s...I can't find much to criticize...the movie felt like TDK length wise...the part where Peter finds out Liz's dad is the Vulture felt like the start of the second movie much like Two Face being revealed in TDK felt like the start of a new chapter...

Tom Holland just gets better and better with each appearance. The MCU is in great hands if he is taking over from RDJ. I love that they didn't kill off Vulture and made him a multi dimensional character with honour and also who they chose to share his secret identity with...Aunt May knows!!! Make mine Marvel!

10/10

Last edited:
Loved the film. The action is a bit generic as others have mentioned, but only because Raimi's action was spectacular - and no one can create action sequences like he can. But either way, I felt like the film exemplifies what makes Spider-Man so endearing in the first place. He's a normal guy deep down, and he **** up a lot, but he still tries to do the right thing.

Keaton was also a standout. Loved his character and loved how the upgraded the Vulture.

4/5.

Ok, let me try and write this all down. I've been processing.

Very satisfied with this movie, easily up there with Spider-Man 2 for me. I didn't think I'd be saying it's up there but that's where I'm at right now, I think it might even be better than the 1st Raimi movie. But I've really gotta see this one more. I really appreciated the small scale, and how focused it was on Peter's journey. Specifically the duality of the character and playing that into this idea of wanting to grow up too fast, but still not really knowing who you are. I love that kind of character exploration with Spider-Man, and it's why Spider-Man 2 and this are up there for me.

I think Tom Holland is incredible in this role, though we haven't really seen him go through all the emotions Tobey and Andrew have, I think he captures the character better than both of them because he's really believable and likable as an awkward kid just trying to do the right thing. I would say Michael Keaton as Vulture is the most well rounded out villain since Doc Ock, he had a relatable motivation that reflected on Peter's journey with them both being 'the little guys' entrenched in this crazy world and having different points of view due to their experiences.

I enjoyed how the high school stuff was done, finally after 6 movies we get to see Spidey in high school and have that be as much of a part of his life as his superheroing is. It's a release for him being Spider-Man and those early scenes with him going to school- you could just feel it building to showing that as soon as he puts on the suit at the first chance he'll get and he does; it was great to see. So much funny stuff in this movie, really charming and full of likable supporting cast members.

Action wasn't great but I think my favorite 'action' sequence was the scene of Spidey chasing the crooks through the suburbs and having to contend with no buildings (nice, funny shoutouts to ASM#267... and Ferris Bueler). The scene with Spidey trapped under the rubble ala ASM #33 was a fulfilling one to see as a fan because it felt earned after all we'd seen, it was a big moment for Peter (I didn't need the Tony voice clip reminding me of what I already knew, though, that was eh) and it reflects in his decision at the end. And man oh man was that ending great. I didn't think Marvel Studios would ever (half) put that word in one of their movies, let alone at the very end of a Spider-Man movie. It was very unexpected and memorable.

Loved how standalone this felt, too. I think above all else it's a movie about youth and learning not to rush growing up without forgetting to stop and find out who you are, and that weaves itself into the whole plot very nicely. I have lots more I can say, don't mind the changes to supporting cast members, they were fun, and Peter was great. I think I'll end it here!

Overall, it's good to have you back, Spider-Man.

:spidey:

Last edited:
These reviews are great! Helps me to see things I didn't the first time and will look for on future viewings!

Spider-Man Homecoming is a strange movie. It's good, don't get me wrong and another solid outing for the MCU. But at times it's quite a departure from the formula of previous cinematic iterations of Spidey. Still, I recommend to anyone who wants to see more superheroing on film.

Some thoughts though:

- I like Tom Holland as Peter Parker. He's equal parts awkward and excitable teen who thinks it's awesome that he has superpowers now. In that sense he's much better than Tobey Maguire, whom I found too sullen and quiet in the role. And I'm glad they played up the fact that Spidey is an amateur superhero who screws up more often than not. Peter may be superhuman, but he's still a stupid kid who's way in over his head.
But while Holland is great, I still have to give it to Andrew Garfield as the best Spider-Man on film. Garfield brought the angst and arrogance that was so reminiscent of the early Lee/Ditko version of the character. Holland's Spidey is more of a happy go lucky awkward teen hero.

- I like the supporting cast, especially the guy who plays Ned Leeds, He's hilarious, and his interactions with Peter make me glad that he's in on Peter's secret. And let me just say it's nice to have a Spider-Man film that doesn't focus on any romance. Not that Laura Harrier's Liz is a pain to watch. I thought she was ok. But after two series of Spider-Man films with romance as the central focus I'm immensely we're taking a break from it.

- Aunt May. Ugh. So gorgeous. But there lies the problem. I can't see her as Peter's parental figure and guardian while she's being played by Marisa Tomei.Tomei plays the part well though. But still. Ugh.

- Robert Downey Jr was thankfully not in the movie that much as was advertised. Still, I think he played his part as a mentor to Peter well. I know Spidey 'purists' will moan about his inclusion but after five movies with no other Marvel heroes around him, it's nice to have Peter part of a bigger universe.

- The high tech Spidey suit kind of put me off. I mean it's great for those bits of comedy, but having it full time kind of defeats of Spider-Man being a down on his luck hero (the interrogation mode had me rolling though).

- Michael Keaton is great as the Vulture. He's one of the actors who doesn't need much dialogue to show you how intense and dangerous he is. It's one of the reasons why he was such a great Batman. That scene in the car with Peter is the perfect example of this.

- The ending is a huge cliffhanger and one of the funniest scenes in the MCU at the same time. Normally I'd be pissed because it's an unresolved plot point but I was laughing so hard I don't really care.

- The after credits scene is Lol worthy, but those without a sense of humor will be probably be pissed.

Solid movie. I give it an 8.5/10.

Last edited:
And it's same posters over and over and over. It's legitimately pushing me away from the boards. Thankfully some extra toxic posters got perma-banned.

I'm not one of those posters. I loved Holland in Civil War, and I was really looking forward to this movie.

I'm one of the few people who were let down by SM:H. Don't let that deter you from seeing it yourself.

I can definitely say that Spider-Man Homecoming is the best Spidey movie of the franchise. Best version of Spidey/Peter, best "best friend", best love interest and best villain. The writing was well done and everything generally made sense. The movie did a great job of positioning it within the Marvel Universe, having great cameos, but keeping the focus squarely on Peter and his world. Michael Keaton flat out has crafted, IMO, one of the 3 best villains in the MCU (with Loki and Ego being the top two).

Now...the "negatives". Unfortunately, the movie makes 2 of the same mistakes the other 5 movies made. 1 being seemingly everyone finding out he's Spider-Man by the end of the movie. I'm okay with Ned and Toomes figuring out made sense, but having Aunt May find out so quick irked me. Secret identities are stupid. If anything, the movie proved how valuable they are (i.e. Ned yelling out Pete knows Spidey which essentially is the first domino that starts the events of the movie). 2nd mistake: having Peter unmask during the climactic fight with the Vulture. It just irks me to have Spidey fighting out in the open with no mask and every movie seems to go out of it's way to do it. I get that movie studios feel like their stars need face time, but at least be creative about it (i.e. maybe half of Spidey's mask gets burned off like in SM1).

Lastly, the Zendaya/MJ deal. Overall, I don't have a problem with her being MJ (other than Marvel's insistence on shoehorning Mary Jane into Peter's high school years a la Ultimate Spidey), what I do have a problem with is renaming her "Michelle" and doing the "wink wink" about it at the end. It just seems like a cop out. It seems like they were aware that people were pissed off about it and figured if they wait until the movie is over to say it. Crap or get off the pot.

Overall, the movie is a solid A. Definitely better than all previous Spidey movies (even SM2).

Good film. For me, there was a little too much reliance on The Avengers connections though. Yeah, I get Spidey is in the same universe now, but it was all a bit too much for me, and after a while I felt that it emasculated Pete as a stand-alone hero somewhat. Spider-Man is the greatest Marvel character, but this film makes him feel... I don't know... a little second string? He's Marvel's Batman, but this film didn't really feel like it celebrated him as such.

Thought the MJ reveal was dumb. Her name is Mary Jane, not Michelle. Also - Gwen should be first, no?

High tech suit was way over played. I came to see Spidey, not Iron Spider.

Why didn't they use that brilliant rendition of the classic theme that played over the Marvel logo more in the movie???

Other than those things though, very solid flick. Holland is brilliant as Pete and Spidey. Easily the best rendition of both in live action. The action scenes were great. All the comedy beats hit well. I loved that they recreated Spider-Man's most famous sequence with Pete getting out from under the rubble. The interrogation mode dig at the dark knight was brilliant :woot:

It's a solid 8/10 for me. Good movie, but nothing deeply original, memorable or spectacular (pun intended)

Last edited:
Thought the MJ reveal was dumb. Her name is Mary Jane, not Michelle. Also - Gwen should be first, no?
They are not going to repeat love interest, Gwen was just done in a bad franchise. This is not the traditional MJ and Parker doesn't seem into her so it is a different take.

The movie was great. Best Parker/Spider-Man yet. I loved almost everything.

Everyone who went with me, on the other hand, thought it was ok. I wonder if this is because they only know the previous movies and not the comics, cartoons, etc. They don't know the Parker we know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"