Spider-Man: Homecoming User Reviews Thread *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by Airnick, Jul 3, 2017.

?

Rate Spider-Man: Homecoming

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Not for nothing. Either way they still named her as MJ in the film. What do you think are the chances they will introduce the real Mary Jane 'MJ' in any sequel considering they went this route in Homecoming? Also just using those initials in that way is enough for anyone to be skeptical as to their claim they never intended her to be the real MJ. The only alternative I can think for doing that is as a FU to fans.

2. GeckoMoria

GeckoMoria Well-Known Member

It's definitely for nothing and it's not a FU to the fans so you don't know how she will evolve in the future, so stop whining.

3. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

I can judge this film all I want without needing to excuse that the sequel will do better. Even when the sequel comes along I'm still free to criticise her character in Homecoming.

4. John Locke

John Locke One is Dark One is Light

It's only not for nothing if Mary Jane shows up. There is no reason to believe she will.

5. Speed Force

Speed Force Your phone's charged

Toomes was still a business man who got screwed over

6. CaptainWagner

CaptainWagner Cool. Cool cool cool.

Yep. They just fleshed him out more as a character, because he never could have carried a film otherwise. And Scorpion is based on the Ultimate version, it seems like. Michelle, though, is nothing like any version of MJ, and while I don't think that moment is nearly as awful as "Robin", it still falls flat and seems kind of flippant to fans who actually want to see MJ done right on screen.

7. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

I don't think every race lift and persona change is a slight to the fans, but it is more of them saying, we gave you MJ and Gwen Stacy already as they are in the comics, now we need to switch **** up. I will give the casting directors kudos for Emma Stone as she looks exactly like the 616 version of Gwen.

8. jasontodd

jasontodd Superhero Enthusiast

I'm ridiculously exaggerating? By comparing two identical situations. It is a slap in the face. Do you honestly believe that they are going to introduce Mary Jane Watson in a capacity that is faithful to the source material in subsequent Spider-Man films? If that answer is no then yes this was a slap in the face. Spider-Man and MJ are an iconic couple. Even Smallville had the good sense to eventually introduce Lois Lane. Even if Mary Jane is brought in for a sequel, especially after this little "my friends call me MJ" stunt, then how can her introduction be anything but forced, contrived and lessened?

9. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Well-Known Member

We have no idea if Mary Jane will come later. I imagine Zendaya will be the main love interest in the series.

And I can understand the annoyance. Their comments are all well and good, but they still decided to call her MJ, which I found to be pointless. Hopefully they continue to refer to her as Michelle, because if you want your new original character to stand on her own (and Zendaya played her well enough that she certainly would), don't give her a nickname that will have the audience constantly recalling another character.

10. Infinity9999x

I actually think the Robin moment works much better. John Blake was clearly not based off a Robin, but in the final movie, Nolan was just pay it homage to the Robin concept.

If they continue to call Michelle MJ, that's not paying homage to Mary Jane, that's just giving a completely separate character her nickname...which is just a bit pointless to be honest. Hopefully they don't go that direction.

11. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I'd really you not. Crows are very smart animals, eating them is unethical.

:gngl:

12. Broseph44

Broseph44 Witness Me

I think my score has gone down the more I digest and think about the film and things I disliked etc. Probably sitting at a 7.5 for me right now. Hoping for some improvements with the sequel.

13. Leenie

Leenie Well-Known Member

In regards to Michelle ...

She isn't Mary Jane. However, I didn't like the "my friends call me MJ" reveal because they pretty much downgraded Zendaya's character from Michelle to "Not Mary Jane." I liked Michelle. She was basically Marvel's version of "The Basket Case" from The Breakfast Club, and it worked really well. I just don't think the addition of making her initials "MJ" added anything to her character.

The addition of "MJ" was basically the movie telling the audience that there will be no Mary Jane in these movies, so we shouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon. I can understand that to a certain extent, but giving Michelle those initials just turns this interesting and original character into "Not Mary Jane." Did it ruin the movie for me? Not at all. But I didn't like it. I still think it was unnecessary and stupid.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  14. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

so disappointed in homecoming.my least favorate spider-man film ever.

watts was more intrested in doing john hughes style teen comedy than spider-man.ned was so f-ing anoying.what was point of michelle.if flash is actully flash tompson not too bad.Liz was ok.and if betty was betty brant what was point of her in film.

taking away origin and all angst and worry on peter were terrable.there weren't even any money trouble.that was so refreshing about peter in comics.having money issues and probelms we could relate to.

holland may look like teenager compared to marguire and garfield but i will take both of them over him.

all the nonesense with the spider-man suit being so mechinal i hated.

michael keaton is absoletly best thing about this film.

marasi tomei wasn't just miscast her whole characitizen is so may parker in name only.

this film proved all my fears right.

15. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Here is my review of Spider-Man: Homecoming

The passed 13 years have been rough for Spider-Man on film. 2004 saw the release of Spider-Man 2, which helped define the genre for a long time and still stands the test of time, but little did we know the dark times ahead. Little did we know Sony would sabotage Spider-Man 3 by cramming too much into the movie, or that Spider-Man would see his second reboot since 2012. Time were certainly dark, but from that darkness came Marvel Studios. After the Amazing Spider-Man 2 took the franchise to its all-time lowest point, Kevin Feige and company were able to get the chance to do Spider-Man the right way, and join his Marvel brothers into the MCU fans know and love. The resulting film not only is the best outing for the webslinger since 2004's Spider-Man 2, it is also one of the best films Marvel Studios has made.

One strength inherent in Spider-Man is the ability to explore a section of the Marvel Universe to this point only explored at any level on Netflix: the street level. One thing this film absolutely gets right is that heroes like the Avengers face global or world ending threats, so a petty arms dealer like the Vulture can go unnoticed for 8 years! This helped make the Vulture a huge threat as Spider-Man is new to this gig and his abilities, so largely he feels over matched against the very experience Vulture. Vulture actually ends up being one of the MCUs strongest villains to date. I think both Norman and Doc Ock in the Raimi films were overall better villains, but Vulture is solidly best villain in a Spider-Man film since then. Has great character motivations, an interesting code of honor, and a great connection both to Peter and to the MCU as a whole. I also love this idea that he is a scavenger living off the scraps of the gods and monsters of the MCU, as is Peter with the Avengers. It's a great duality. Spider-Man: Homecoming gives us a great view of that smaller street level world, and shows us much of what is still to come for that universe. We get many future villains in the film, and the film is not shy about pointing that out.

What really makes this film work is the main character. While Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield never nailed being both Peter Parker AND Spider-Man, Tom Holland absolutely does. Between his 2 MCU appearances, it is clear he is the best on-screen version of Spider-Man ever. He owns both roles, mastering Spider-Man's sharp wit and merging it with Peter's more awkwardness. Also much like the Raimi films, it plays with Spider-Man's bad fortune comedically, like a scene where Spider-Man has no buildings to swing off of, so he has to run through a park. Tom Holland's energy is infectious, and his trials and tribulations as Peter Parker also hit home. It took a long time to find, but here is a version of Spider-Man that has everything you can ask for in a webslinger.

Based on the marketing, there was some worry about various film elements. One of which was would Tony Stark steal too much of the spotlight. Honestly, he is not in the movie nearly as much as the trailers indicate. He is in the film a fair amount, yes. But all his scenes are in service to the story, except maybe one toward the end, but the film does not lose sight of it being a SPIDER-MAN film. Then there is Zenayda. Yes, the character's nickname is MJ, but she is not Mary Jane Watson. While Marvel is giving her the MJ initials, she is clearly a whole other character down to her actual name being Michelle. This did not bother me at all. Ned Leeds in the film is kind of a mix of many different characters, but as Peter's guy in the chair, he is hilarious and one of the film's brightest spots. I also really like Marisa Tomei as Aunt May, though clearly Aunt May seems to be getting younger and younger with each new version we are presented. But one of the other big issues was Peter's AI, named Karen in the film. Peter is not Iron Man, I agree. But, Iron Man is his mentor, so in a piece of Stark tech, the AI made sense and Karen offered some great levity in the film and some of the funnest moments. I can see this not being everyone's cup of tea, but I think Marvel made this idea work.

I remember when Spider-Man 4 was cancelled, I was very sad. Then came the Amazing Spider-Man films, which just didn't appeal to me at all. Between those and the poor storylines the comics had presented for Peter Parker, my interest in Spider-Man dwindled heavily. I just had not been excited for anything Spider-Man in nearly a decade, but thanks to Marvel, Watts, and everyone involved, I have rediscovered what I loved about Spider-Man in the first place. Spider-Man: Homecoming helped restore my love for Spider-Man, and I am excited for the character's future. I cannot wait to see how Marvel handles such a great stable of characters and the Spidey universe in general. One thing we know is, they are off to a great start.

Overall Rating: 5/5

16. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Great review. Glad you enjoyed it, Spider-Fan :up:

17. Infinity9999x

Yeah SF, glad to hear you enjoyed it. Joker, did you post your full review yet?

18. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones It's All One Story

My thoughts from the general thread: The more I think about this film the more I love it. I'll admit, even though I knew I loved it, my giddiness has just started to sink in. I've just been conditioned to be disappointed and crushed by Spider-Man for over a decade, it was hard to unearth enthusiasm.

It's been 13 YEARS since we got a great Spider-Man film. I was 12 years old. Now I'm 25 and it's bizarre to think that it took this long. As a lifelong Spider-Man fan and veteran of the last three movies, it's been too long. Way too long.

As much as I was looking forward to this, while I knew it wouldn't top the first two Raimi films, I thought it'd still be the best one since the second but still be a fine, solid Marvel movie. Nothing impressive. On a Doctor Strange level type thing.

But I was wrong. This was shockingly a lot better than I was expecting. This is probably in my top four (if it outranks Iron Man it'd be top three) MCU films. This is just a great film. Marvel utilized the fact they have an A-lister in Spidey, and they squeezed the lemon, not leaving anything feeling unfulfilled. This comes close to the first Raimi film. It gets Spider-Man to the core, but done in a way that finally managed to differentiate it from the other superhero movies and the Raimi films, and it's always been there in the comics, it's just been modernized and in the best way. This movie and Raimi'is first two films are equally Spider-Man films for a different interpretations, both always existed in the comics.

You buy it because of Holland as Spider-Man and Peter Parker. It's him. He's been away for a while, but there he is. You care about Spider-Man because it's Peter. Holland did what Maguire did and made Peter likable no matter what, even when you know he's doing the wrong thing. The main part of Spider-Man is that being Spider-Man makes Peter's life more difficult. That's really it. He can be a billionaire or whatever, just never take that away from him. And it's here. But I appreciated the scaled down Marvel film. For once, the world isn't ending and there isn't a beam of light in the sky. It's just a kid trying to prove to himself he's more than a costume.

The cast is superb. No complaints here. Keaton as Vulture is one of Marvel's best villains (****ing finally) and the twist with him was excellent. The directing great, and it surprisingly feels more like a vision carried through than a typical Marvel movie. It looks better and has its own distinct feel. A lot of that has to do with the decision to make it a high school film. The action was good too, but it's really elevated by Holland. You still can't top Raimi's memorable action scenes. That man in general knew how to create iconic images and memorable moments in his Spider-Man films, even SM3 that most comic book films still don't do.

My only real criticism is the film lacks dramatic depth. The movie has heart, but it doesn't quite go there when it could, and opts for humor which is pretty typical of a Marvel film. But I give it more of a pass here because it fits Spider-Man a bit more and the aim was more comedic. But Spider-Man's core has never been without drama and deep conflict. It could have done it on its own terms. There are examples, but it could go further. Marvel needs to push this more narratively.

My only other problems are
    Toomes doesn't really have an arc or change except at that credits scene which should have been in the movie.
    The finale could have used more emotional stakes, the idea of Peter confronting this girl's Dad and making it seem different didn't quite land as well as it could have.

And
    Michelle saying, "My friends call me MJ." This is confusing.
    So is this Mary Jane Watson or is this Michelle with a nickname MJ and their own character? If so, why call her MJ at all and just make her Michelle?
    "My friends call me MJ." You had no friends. Unless she's suddenly referring to Peter and Ned, but they don't seem to think so and she's trying to open herself up. This is too confusing. You don't need MJ. Michelle is fine in her own right.

My ranking:

SM2
    SM
    SMH
    SM3

ASM

ASM2 (this thing has leprosy so I want to keep it away from the others. Though ASM might be getting infected but I don't care)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  19. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

Enjoyed it a lot. Loved the Vulture scenes. Loved the respect he had for Peter as well. He never wanted to kill him, but he respects him. He protected him after the credits.

Movie was fun. Peter's origin did not need to be rehashed again. It's a dead horse.

Movie was fun. I do wish the MCU dished out more mature movies in tone though. Hard to really take this movie seriously after seeing Wonder Woman, which was damn near perfect. But this movie was still a blast to watch and laugh at

20. JP

JP Smelly

I loved everything about this film. The entire cast was stellar. Loved Holland, Keaton, Batalon, and Zendaya especially.

21. Johnny-Oh

Johnny-Oh "You got heart, kid"

The movie is a blast! It feels like an episode of Spectacular Spider-Man, it's just so fun. The tone and pacing are just perfect! A lot of superhero movies fall apart in the third act but in this movie that's by far the best part, the movie just flows so well from one act to the other. Tom Holland is great in the role and plays both sides of the character really well. The Vulture is great especially towards the end.

I had read that the screenplay was written by 5 people and that's usually not a good sign so when I watched the movie I was very surprised about how focused the narrative was, it doesn't have annoying subplots that detract from the main story so props to the writers and Jon Watts. I have some problems with the movie but nothing too major. However there is a serious lack of emotion and tension. I don't think these are necessarily problems just because that's not what the movie was going for, but the lack of those things just keeps it from being a great film with tonal and emotional range(like the first 2 Raimi movies which are still the best) and even though he movie is probably gonna be extremely re-watchable, I don't think there are any layers to it beyond its surface.

I would give this a 7.5/10(around the same as IM3 which I love)

22. Infinity9999x

I've seen people do this all the time. And the scene was all of...what, 2 seconds?

23. Enriquespy

Enriquespy Well-Known Member

I liked that this movie had actual people as villains: Prowler, Toomes, behaving like people.
    I have no idea if that made any sense.

24. Spider-Ock

Spider-Ock SpOck

It's kinda/sorta the opposite for me I think. I was bothered by a lot of stuff they did, and I still am, but the more I think about the positives, the more I feel like there is a lot to appreciate in the movie as well.

Right now, for me, its changed from an okay/competent to a mostly good, albeit flawed, film.

25. ItchyWebShooter

ItchyWebShooter Spider-Signal Included

Good read. I agree with most of what you said! Still working on my review.

It's good to see Spidey winning in the hearts and minds of critics, GA, and especially fans again.