Spider-Man: Homecoming vs Wonder Woman vs Black Panther vs Thor Ragnarok

HammerDown

“Do not, my friends, become addicted to water...“
Reaction score
MV5BNTk4ODQ1MzgzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTMyMzM4MTI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BNDFmZjgyMTEtYTk5MC00NmY0LWJhZjktOWY2MzI5YjkzODNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDA4NzMyOA@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BMTg1MTY2MjYzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTc4NTMwNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BMjMyNDkzMzI1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODcxODg5MjI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Wonder Woman, it's a good movie. In general, not my favorite CBM, but it's really good.

Might as well have just done Ragnarok vs. BP and saved us all the time. :o

All jokes aside, this is a really tough choice, but I think I have to give it to BP. Ragnarok is a remarkable achievement in its own right, and is similar to BP in that it does a truly fantastic job of accomplishing everything it set out to achieve. That said, I think BP is the more impressive of the two because it aimed higher and made a conscious choice to set itself apart from other Marvel movies while simultaneously existing within the framework that made them so popular in the first place. I also find it to be an overall more emotionally engaging film with a much better villain.

It’s an apples and oranges comparison, really, but yeah. It’s BP for me.

Ragnarok. It goes full out on the comic book craziness, it has a great protagonist, a great set of supporting characters and villains, lots of character development, great action and humor, and a story that really changes things. Waititi gave it a unique style and it's highly rewatchable.

1. Black Panther
2. Wonder Woman
3. Thor Ragnarok
4. Spider-Man HC

Thor Ragnarok was the crazy, completely over the top CBM we had been waiting years for. It gets my vote.

Mine too. It's the easiest and most enjoyable watch of any of these films. The others are all worthy cbms but Ragnarok has a frantic and fun vibe that reminds me a little of Heavy Metal ( just with less nudity).

What lets Black Panther down is a somewhat underwhelming final showdown - whereas Ragnarok steps it up to epic proportions.

I feel like I’m missing something, what connects these four films to be pitted against each other?
They are 4 comic book movies. 4 that came out less than 1 year apart. 4 with similar ratings...

Homecoming over Wonder Woman
Ragnarok over Black Panther

Ragnarok over Homecoming

1 BP - Some of the strongest character performances all across the board. World building and drama, fantastic.
2 Homecoming - It's really close between this and Ragnarok. I give this the edge for Keaton's effortless performance.
3 Ragnarok - Fantastic direction by Taika and Hemsworth at his best in a movie unlike any other cbm.
4 WW - Strong overarching theme with great chemistry between the leads. Not sure what happened, but 3rd act felt as if Zach Snyder took over from that point. Felt bit disjointed from an otherwise good movie.

Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther
Useless Man: He's Amazing with the Russo bros
Wonder Woman
(have not seen it yet, in no hurry to do so)

Dang Aziz you really haven’t seen Wonder Woman yet? You need to watch it soon, it’s a really good time.

Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther
Useless Man: He's Amazing with the Russo bros
Wonder Woman
(have not seen it yet, in no hurry to do so)

Wonder Woman has some good action sequences ( the final showdown is a bit generic - I found it less entertaining than Superman v Zod in MoS).

The supporting cast are pretty one-note, especially the villains, Chris Pine is okay but his dialogue always seemed awkward.

The real star of the show is....the star of the show.Gal Gadot is simply fantastic, she makes Wonder Woman warm, and likeable but also super badass. To me she captured everything that WW is about, she's feminine without being oversexualized, she's kind and friendly without being weak, she's brave and tough without being benchy - she's got nothing to prove to anyone- and when she's kicking ash she's got a massive physical presence.

I was a big doubter before I saw the film, but she totally sold me. It's worth seeing for Gals performance alone.

1. Ragnarok. A pretty unique movie with a clear touch of the director. It goes strong all the way through and has a great set of characters. One of the movies that dares to be the most comic booky and makes it work.

2. Black Panther. Also unique with its African style, has plenty of great characters, and has a strong message, but falls behind Ragnarok due to not delivering that well with the climax.

3. Homecoming. The best combined portrayal of Parker and Spidey this far, and it's a fun movie, but it's pretty light-weight compared to the two above. The Stark suit makes sense but it makes things feel less like the Spidey we know.

4. Wonder Woman. A step up for the DCEU but clearly distanced as it's so close to a couple of other movies in terms of story. I'm also skeptical towards making a female power movie with a mediocre actress that looks beautiful in a skimpy suit. Okoye did a better fierce female warrior without having to be as sexualized. The climax also falls behind even Black Panther's, with Ares being laughable.

1. Ragnarok. A pretty unique movie with a clear touch of the director. It goes strong all the way through and has a great set of characters. One of the movies that dares to be the most comic booky and makes it work.

2. Black Panther. Also unique with its African style, has plenty of great characters, and has a strong message, but falls behind Ragnarok due to not delivering that well with the climax.

3. Homecoming. The best combined portrayal of Parker and Spidey this far, and it's a fun movie, but it's pretty light-weight compared to the two above. The Stark suit makes sense but it makes things feel less like the Spidey we know.

4. Wonder Woman. A step up for the DCEU but clearly distanced as it's so close to a couple of other movies in terms of story. I'm also skeptical towards making a female power movie with a mediocre actress that looks beautiful in a skimpy suit. Okoye did a better fierce female warrior without having to be as sexualized. The climax also falls behind even Black Panther's, with Ares being laughable.

I would agree with most of that, although I think you are underselling GG 's performance in a lead role - I would argue that she's at least as good as Hemsworth or Holland and much much stronger than Boseman.

The skimpy costume is a tricky issue, because it's actually less skimpy than the comic book version or Lynda Carter's - and had to have at least some elements of the comic book version for identification purposes. You can only change it so much

Plus, the film characterisation of WW ( which is better than the new 52 version) is that she's beautiful, generous and kind but also really tough without being mean or excessively violent or bloodthirsty.

Honestly, I don't see a problem with the movie costume.

Since we are now talking about the final big scenes for the movies.
Here's a refresher. What do you guys think?

So which scene from each movie is the best in your opinion?
And i mean from the whole movie. The single best scene from every one of these 4 movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"