Into the Spider-Verse Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse News and General Discussion Thread

After repeat viewings this might beat out Spider-Man 2 as my favorite Spider-Man film. This has been a fantastic year for Spider-Man, for sure the best since the early 2000s. Between this, the ps4 game and the Spencer/Ottley, we spidey fans are spoiled. This was an amazing love letter to not only to Spidey, but comic book storytelling and art. This is the closest we've ever gotten to to panels coming to life on screen. Gonna probably watch a 2nd time, this time in 3D.

I just saw Into the Spider-Verse and it was great. Deserving of its hype.

The various Spider-people were all fun, even though I generally don't like copies of heroes, and there were some nice stories told about the main ones. They could bring all these people in without devaluing Peter Parker as the main Spider-Man.

The film looked really good with its unique animation style and I think it completed the feel that the film was going for. The story flowed well and while a lot of it was very fun and energetic it still managed to flesh out the characters well enough.

On the negative side I really only have smaller things, like that
Kingpin felt too much like Hulk, being absurdly large and strong enough to throw cars
but nothing that really took away from the enjoyment of the film.

I'm really hoping the Blu Ray goes in depth with regards to the animation and all the techniques which went into making the film possible.

For this happening:
It's Sony rather than Disney. Disney's extras are a ******* disgrace. The extras for Ant-Man was less than 30 MINUTES. Sony's extras are usually pretty detailed. Baby Driver had excellent extras.

Against this happening:
Seeing as Sony are trying to patent the animation style they may keep how the animation was done under wraps.

This might not just be one of the best Spider-Man movies but one of the best superhero movies of all time. I also think it’s one of the best superhero origin stories of all time as well too. This film will become an all-timer in the annals of superhero history, imo. It has the right mix of humor, drama, and heart and in many ways feels like perfect encapsulation of the character and what his appeal is to people.

Also Miles is the better here than he ever was in the comics(no disrespect to Brian Micheal Bendis). I think this movie might also be the best Spider-Man story ever told in any medium be it comics, cartoons, live-action, and video games.

And that Stan Lee cameo brought tears to my eyes.:cry:

What a tug at the heart strings!

Saw this yesterday. Absolutely loved it. When this movie was first announced I was skeptical for several reasons…1) it’s a Sony production. Until this movie I’d lost faith in them to deliver a quality product again especially one involving Spider-Man. 2) it’s a movie about Miles. I don’t care for alternate universe characters and with a plethora of ‘other’ spider people it’s just not enough of a reason for me to care. Peter B Parker is the one true Spider-Man imo and that won’t change. So, in my distaste for alt spiders, when I heard this was gonna be a Miles focused movie, honestly, I was completely turned off and wanted nothing to do with it. 3) I’m not a fan of the Spider-Verse. And this has a lot to do with the comics that were being written—I felt the writing itself was subpar and I also was not a fan of the status quo at the time for Peter. IMO, I felt I had good enough reasons of my own to not want to see this. Long story short, if that’s still possible, I’m happy to say I was wrong.

This is now without a doubt my favorite Spider-Man movie. If you’d have told me a year ago I was going to be saying this now, I would have laughed. What a fantastic movie this was—visually amazing, great character work, excellent story, a superb score, it was fun, funny, heart warming, genuine…this is the real deal. Spider-Verse took a character I couldn’t care less about and made him important, to me. It also managed to give us two great renditions of Peter both of whom seemed to be on another level above what we’ve gotten so far in the live action films.

9.5/10 and a day one Blu Ray purchase.

I'm really hoping the Blu Ray goes in depth with regards to the animation and all the techniques which went into making the film possible.

For this happening:
It's Sony rather than Disney. Disney's extras are a ******* disgrace. The extras for Ant-Man was less than 30 MINUTES. Sony's extras are usually pretty detailed. Baby Driver had excellent extras.

Against this happening:
Seeing as Sony are trying to patent the animation style they may keep how the animation was done under wraps.

Well, if they did patent it, that would mean no one would be able to copy it. So, I don't see why they wouldn't at least provide some insight to the animation process.

This might not just be one of the best Spider-Man movies but one of the best superhero movies of all time. I also think it’s one of the best superhero origin stories of all time as well too. This film will become an all-timer in the annals of superhero history, imo. It has the right mix of humor, drama, and heart and in many ways feels like perfect encapsulation of the character and what his appeal is to people.

Also Miles is the better here than he ever was in the comics(no disrespect to Brian Micheal Bendis). I think this movie might also be the best Spider-Man story ever told in any medium be it comics, cartoons, live-action, and video games.

And that Stan Lee cameo brought tears to my eyes.:cry:

What a tug at the heart strings!

I haven't read any of the Miles comic and I don't plan to but I'm glad to hear the movie made improvements to the character. I really enjoyed Miles in this.

Really liked it, probably the best animated movie of the last 2 years.

One thing did bother me.
Why would MJ go to a benefit catered by the Kingpin? Even if she didn't know he killed him. I'm sure Peter would have told her all about him.

The most logical explanation I saw was too keep up appearances. Don't let Kingpin on that you knew his secret, or act as if even if you knew, you wouldn't be talking about it

I haven't read any of the Miles comic and I don't plan to but I'm glad to hear the movie made improvements to the character. I really enjoyed Miles in this.

He's right. Miles in the comics is just sort of bland. He has a sick costume, awesome powers, and he's like...Peter-lite. As someone else said, I felt I knew Miles better after watching him sing at his art desk for 5 minutes than I have after reading his comics for 4 years. Granted, I've only ever sporadically read his comics, but, for a character who has only practically had one writer, he had no voice of his own. Strange. No disrespect to Bendis, as Miles is a great concept, but it seemed like he was afraid to step away from the Peter Parker model to make him his own great thing. Happily, the movie had no such qualms!

The most logical explanation I saw was too keep up appearances. Don't let Kingpin on that you knew his secret, or act as if even if you knew, you wouldn't be talking about it
Yep. That was EXACTLY what I thought.

Has anyone seen the movie in 3D? Plan to go a second time and catch it in that format.

He's right. Miles in the comics is just sort of bland. He has a sick costume, awesome powers, and he's like...Peter-lite. As someone else said, I felt I knew Miles better after watching him sing at his art desk for 5 minutes than I have after reading his comics for 4 years. Granted, I've only ever sporadically read his comics, but, for a character who has only practically had one writer, he had no voice of his own. Strange. No disrespect to Bendis, as Miles is a great concept, but it seemed like he was afraid to step away from the Peter Parker model to make him his own great thing. Happily, the movie had no such qualms!

I was just watching something on YouTube about this and someone had mentioned how the movie within seconds of screentime established subtle character traits of Miles that never have been and should've been in the comic, and why the movie version is such an improvement. One good example they gave was us getting to see Miles interact with his old classmates/friends on the way to school which was a subtle show of the struggle Miles has with having to code his personality for the elite school he's now attending.

Miles in the film is constantly faced with great life changes that he has to adapt to, in order to survive beyond being Spider-Man and the school thing for example is something the comics never truly explored which really could've differentiated Miles from Ultimate Peter-Lite.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse - does it have what it takes to join the elite of the elite and become the 4th animated film to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar? I certainly think so, but it depends if the Academy sees it that way. Would be quite the prestigious group

Beauty And The Beast (1991)
Up (2009)
Toy Story 3 (2010)

I don't remember the exact line that Miles says but I think it went something like, "I made a promise and I have to keep it." The line was really emphasized and the idea of a promise was brought up more than once.

Anyone else get the feeling with that line Sony was either saying "we're sorry for f@$king up the whole promise thing in ASM" or it was like they're saying "Aah! So that's what it means to make a promise!"

Well, in good news, it looks like the movie may be developing its legs now. It looks like it may actually have a better Wed than Tue, which is crazy. I think WOM is catching on.

I hope this is getting a bunch of sequels and inspires many more ambitious animation attempts.

Yeah I'm thinking I may go see it again New year's Eve with a few people.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse - does it have what it takes to join the elite of the elite and become the 4th animated film to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar? I certainly think so, but it depends if the Academy sees it that way. Would be quite the prestigious group

Beauty And The Beast (1991)
Up (2009)
Toy Story 3 (2010)

No chance. Because of politics I don't even think it will take best animated movie despite easily being the best animated movie of the year.

Well, in good news, it looks like the movie may be developing its legs now. It looks like it may actually have a better Wed than Tue, which is crazy. I think WOM is catching on.
I saw on Box Office Mojo that they are predicting a VERY minimal drop for the coming up weekend, which is great. I hope it continues to do well. I would love to see them churn out a new Spider-Verse animated film every 2-3 years. I'm fine with that.

No chance. Because of politics I don't even think it will take best animated movie despite easily being the best animated movie of the year.
I hope you're wrong, but you're probably right. The Academy is scrounging trying to save face and appeal to a broader audience, but they can't let go of their prejudices enough to allow a) an animated feature to vie for best picture, b) to allow a comic book movie to win best picture, or c) to allow an animated superhero movie to win best animated feature. They're far too pretentious to allow any of those things to happen. Watch "Vice" sweep the awards, winning for everything, and Disney/Pixar to hold their monopoly on the animated feature award, despite The Incredibles being largely underwhelming (I say that as someone who loved it) and Wreck-It-Ralph being largely forgettable (once again, I liked this one, too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"