Spider-Man MCU personality

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by project13, Aug 14, 2015.

1. project13 Registered

Now that we have an actual teenager playing Peter Parker, how should Tom Holland play Spider-Man? Personally, I predict that we would have a portrayal somewhere between the Spectacular and the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoons.

2. Marvel Spider An Insomniac.

This will probably be the closest version to how he's portrayed in the comic books yet. Feige has stressed the importance of the divide between Peter's characteristics and Spider-Man, and I think that's something they'll make sure to uphold: The shyness, intellect, and warmth of Peter and the complete energy, freedom, and wit he has as Spider-Man.

3. harryoscop Registered

Anything but the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. Spider-Man is suppose to annoy the criminals he's fighting, NOT the audience themselves.

4. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

Again I doubt any toon be inspiration for tom take on oeye and spidey. It probably be like various comics shown, the fun wise cracking goofy hero. And the more shy at first but then maturing into a mature reserve adult and all that.

5. Web-Head Black Widow is coming

I've always said there needs to be a happy medium between Tobey's Peter and Andrew's Peter. I prefer Holland to be closer to Andrew though, or preferably like the Peter in the comics and the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.

6. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

For me since kevin has nothing to do with the usm toon and him always talking about classic spidey. Again it likely be comics as main draw for the characterization and not any shows. But I def can't wait to see how tom plays out role. Also I can't stress I really want marvel to use and play up how smart peter is.

7. harryoscop Registered

Oh, and I prefer Spidey to be portrayed as he was in the earlier comics.

8. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

Yes I want that smart bright kid played out. Shown that this peter can hang with stark, banner, pym on the science level. In comics he may not be in the top of the top smartest in the marvel universe. But he is a very smart guy. And besides bugle I def hope we see peter play into his science side too and do stuff like tricorops, horizon labs and so forth over time.

9. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

I'd be fine with that.

As long as we don't get the full-on annoying Spider-Man side from the USM cartoon, I'm okay. :oldrazz:

10. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

Come on do folks really think mcu spidey be usm. Again kevin doesn't work on that show and those folks don't work on movie. And kevin keeps stressing classic comics in talks. If anything from ultimate happens it be things from the Ultimate comics not the show. As par with rest if mcu. Takes parts from classic comics a pinch or so of ultimate stuff. While also adding there own twists on things and make their own new take. That is how spidey be. Draw from classic take some approach from ultimate ie modern teen life add there own twists and bam.

11. NotSoLongAgo #spidermansolit

Josh Keaton's spidey and Peter IRL hopefully

12. Random490 Registered

I tried to check out Ultimate Spider-man on netflix, I couldn't even get past the first episode. You're dead on, he annoyed the crap out of me. Anyway, I think most tv shows and video games are a good place to get a sense of his personality. Tom doesn't need to see these shows to get it, but I'd like it if the writers and director took their inspiration from it. Most of the problems the other films had in this regard came more from the script and director.

13. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

Ya that toon is pretty bad. A few good episodes here and there. But I don't think mcu spidey be like usm toon at all. As for humor it will more then likely be handled like stark and Starlord humor been. That is what i expect. Same goes with shy loner teen but bright smart kid stuff.

#13 Webhead2006, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  14. UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

This. The duality of Peter and Spidey is something that the live-action movies have yet to fully capture. Aside from Marvel making a great movie, this is #1 on my list. I want the likeability and intelligence of Peter to go along with the full-on release he gets as he talks some smack as Spidey. Obviously there's more to it than just witty dialogue with Spider-Man...there's also the divide with the mannerisms and general persona.

TSSM nailed the duality aspect I mentioned above, so, yes, if they pull it off....I'll be happy :woot:

15. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

well kevin has talked of that aspect along with humor and the whole using more and done better with supporting characters. So i dont see marvel boning on that duality part of the role.

16. Shikamaru Registered

Why do people keep insisting the movies will take inspiration from the USM cartoon? :huh:

17. UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

Well, I can empathize with their anxiety. I don't think anyone wants the tone or much of anything else in the live-action movies to emulate the USM cartoon. I'm not worried about it though.

18. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

i know i keep pointing it out. Kevin has nothing to do with animated show, the show folks have nothing to do with mcu films. And just going by the mcu films and the live action shows. The mcu mostly takes inspiration from the classic comics, sprinkle in elements ie visual looks, or some storyline/characters etc..... what have you from ultimate line. While also putting there own spin there.

So in spidey case i bet it will be the same. Mostly draw from classic comics for inspiration on characters and stories they likely will draw upon, use ultimate probably showcasing modern teen life angle and maybe take look or way a villain was in ultimate and so forth. Then put there own spin on things and bam. We have a rounded out spidey taking best elements from classic, ultimate, and mcu own elements and all.

I dont see why folks think they will use usm the toon for anything. As i also said the mcu is nothing like the usm toon. Usm the toon does not work for how mcu is. Plus look at rest of the mcu have they taken inspiration or take from cartoons any cartoons mind you no. The toons themselfs sure has taken elements from the mcu but it isnt the other way around.

19. Shikamaru Registered

But what exactly gives them that idea? It's not something strictly reserved to the MCU as they said the same about the TASM films.

Is it because that show is a huge commercial success? If that's the case, Marvel would have already dumbed down all of their film versions by now. Pretty much every superhero in the current batch of Marvel shows fits that same mold, and all of their shows are about as equally successful.

20. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

Again i serious dont expect anything from usm toon used. As the world in the toon is not how mcu is presently. Characters and plot lines are so different. If anything is used is the whole he is a teen and hs stuff which would be more so from ultimate and early classic comics then the show itself.

21. UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

I think it's strictly a case of overreacting and plain just being nervous. It's all emotion. That's just my observation though, I can't actually read minds :cwink: And I'm assuming that most folks here are rational and have logic--it appears only a minority are worrisome. Cause, there's obviousy no evidence to back up or suggest that Feige would even take that direction with Spider-Man. As you say, they haven't used that mold for any of the other characters.

22. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

I dont think we have to worry at all. With all the solo film writers have said, and all the quotes from kevin on spidey. They seem to get the character. So i am sure they will get both the wise cracking, fun loving jokester hero side right, along with the shy, loner, but bright peter side right.

23. GwensNeckBrace Registered

He's going to be like the good majority of MCU's leading men; quirky, witty, and occasionally awkward.

24. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

'Cause we've already seen that happen in the past with TASM and SSM. Mind you it wasn't anything major, but it did have some nods. Peter's clothes, Gwen working with Dr. Connors, Electro's origin, etc.

I still say it's almost a given we'll see something related to the USM cartoon in the new series, whether it be a few designs or something smaller.

25. Shikamaru Registered

SSM was generally favored by the fanbase, unlike USM. That's like saying Batfleck will take stuff from The Batman because it might take some stuff from BTAS.

But even if that's true, when have they taken anything major from a Spider-Man show? All the examples you brought up were nods and homages more than anything else. None of the characterizations were the same, which is what people seem worried about.