Spider-Man Reign

Discussion in 'The Comics' started by HELL N' SPIDERS, May 6, 2008.

1. HELL N' SPIDERS

HELL N' SPIDERS Spider with a Power Ring

I just recently purchased Spider-Man Reign and I am in lve with it. I have made this thread to help spread the word about the short series and learn what other people think about it.

Put down your opinions here and don't be shy about your thoughts about art or writing or anything. Just because I love it doesn't mean that I won't like you if you don't.

2. Donald Thomas

Donald Thomas The Black ArachKnight

Aloha,
    Glad you enjoyed it. Many people on these boards did also. You should look up past threads on Spider-Man Reign and possibly make your comments to those that were already made.
    Spidey rules

3. HELL N' SPIDERS

I searched alot before I started this thread, but couldn't find anything. If you do know of one send me the link please. I would love to discuss it with people.

4. Donald Thomas

Donald Thomas The Black ArachKnight

5. moraldeficiency

moraldeficiency Maxwell's Demon

Reign was easily the best spider-man story I read in the last ten years. I even cried when the SM's daughter died.

6. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

I really enjoyed it. My favourite part was the bizarrely awesome use of Doc Ock.

7. moraldeficiency

That was awesome, plus venom's speech about responsibility? I hated venom before that but reading that I really got into the character seeing him written with that understanding. I reread some older venom issues with that mindset and it really changed my perspective on the character.

The only part I didn't like was hydroman/electro. That seemed to obvious and easy a solution for Pete.

8. Blader5489

Blader5489 CASUAL SEX!

I didn't it like that much. The plot and dialog were just fine, but the art was atrocious. That and the distinct outline of old man Peter's genitals in the first issue...ugh.

9. moraldeficiency

I got the trade which was genital free.

We couldn't disagree more on the art though, I loved it.

10. shinlyle

shinlyle King of the Haters

Reign was awesome. Seriously, the art fit it PERFECTLY, and the story was genuinely heartfelt.

Also, if you don't get chills when Peter pops up in the red and blues and says, "Here comes the Spider-Man", you have no Spidey love at all!:o

ps-How did I know Blader would NOT like Reign, even before I read his post?

11. Norman Osborn

Norman Osborn Well-Known Member

Liked it so much I got the hard cover :).....and yeah I thought the art was very well done

12. Blader5489

Blader5489 CASUAL SEX!

Consider yourself lucky.

I can't unsee it! :csad:

13. moraldeficiency

Oh, I forgot, if you loved this story, Spider-Man/Doctor Octopus Year One was done by the same artist (andrews, he won the schuster for this) and written by Zeb Wells. It's another of my favorite spider-man stories and is right next to the Reign hardcover on my bookshelf (my highest honor for a comic).

14. HELL N' SPIDERS

Thanks I will look into that one.
    I actually found this by accident. I was looking for Ultimate Spiderman Volume 20 and found this instead. Thank God for happy accidents.

15. Dark Spidey

Dark Spidey Well-Known Member

I noticed the other day that a second edition of the Hardcover has Black-Costume-and-white-hair-Peter on the cover.

Instead of the Red and Blue costumed Spidey on the (first) edition I got.

16. Norman Osborn

Norman Osborn Well-Known Member

Yeah I got Red and Blue Spidey hugging Mary Jane's Headstone...haven't seen the new cover

17. Dark Spidey

Dark Spidey Well-Known Member

18. OctoHaz

OctoHaz Doc Ock Fangirl

Apart from Ock, JJJ, and some other side characters, I didn't like Reign much. Felt too much like the writer was aping The Dark Knight Returns (the feel and theme if not the exact elements) and Spidey =/= Batman.

I'm aware that I'm in the minority here, so, hey. S'cool other people liked it, but not all of us did. :)

Oddly enough, the doodle of Spiderjunk didn't bother me; of course, I think I'd recently been reading Sin City TPBs...

19. moraldeficiency

Actually I think yours is the more popular opinion. I heard nothing but, blah, blah blah ripping off miller, blah blah, when it came out. I personally found reign to be better because I often find miller's spin a bit grating and the dialogue to annoy as it tries to be hip. It's just a matter of opinion and no one's saying anyone is wrong on this.

Reign, I thought the story summed up the main character's in Peter Parker's life rather well, and to have humanity/responsibility/heroism (sandman's) be the ultimate catalyst to the "villian's" defeat rather than just having Peter Parker triumph though planning and more planning? That was beautiful. I always like a story where it's not so much what the hero does but the lives he/she's touched that makes the difference in the end.

Not saying I didn't love dkr, but after the joker's appearence it was kinda a let down. Joker is definately a character that miller was built to write, superman, not so much.

20. HELL N' SPIDERS

Nice to have the diversity though.
    Thanks for sharing your side.

It is wierd you should bring up Sin City though because the whole time I was reading all the different thought bubbles of characters like JJJ and Sandman's daughter I felt like this was very much like sin city with the way they show the focused character's thoughts instead of just the hero's. I really enjoyed that aspect.

21. Doc Destruction

Doc Destruction Geaux Saints!

Oh please, that's a sucker's bet :p

22. ReggieWhiteJr

ReggieWhiteJr Regular Guy

Heard this was good and I was sooo close to picking it up today but passed because I can get it at my shop for 25% off.

23. SpideyForPrez

SpideyForPrez Pandering to Webublicans

I also loved this story, picked it up issue to issue when it first came out. It didn't even matter that it was kind of a rip off of TDKR, which wasn't an originally premise itself (old hero coming back after years? Ever seen a western or Samurai movie?) But anyway, it's probably the most fun I've had with a Spidey story in the last two years, gave me tingles on the back of my neck. I also loved the bizzare incounter with Doc-Ock very romantic in kind of a literary way, poetic I should say.

24. shinlyle

shinlyle King of the Haters

For real! I'm pretty sure I'm on his ignore list, now....which is awesome, by the way.:woot:

25. Doc Destruction

Doc Destruction Geaux Saints!

Hey man, we were all Spidey zombies once. At least we had good reason to be, though. :)