Spider-Woman Discussion Thread

SwiftFox

Civilian
Reaction score
AKA Jessica Drew! She's been an agent of Hydra, an Agent of SHIELD, a P.I. and a member of the Avengers. If the TV and Movie side of things were to become friends again, she would be a great character to use to tie it all together.

While we're not sure if she's going to be showing up in the MCU, but you really can't talk about Carol Danvers without bringing up Jessica Drew at some point. She's such a great character - it would be a shame if Marvel didn't (or couldn't) use her.

Personal Fan-cast: Tatiana Maslaney

Last edited:
I've suggested Emily Blunt over and over again. Keep her with her British accent and she'll be perfect for the Agent of SWORD Spider-Woman (I don't know if anyone else has seen the motion comic version of that). Plus, I think she can pull off that mysterious look like she's hiding something that is key to Jessica Drew.

JDEB_zpshvaoz54i.jpg

That being said, I do think she should be saved for a second movie. Let Carol have time to shine before they expand her cast.

Awesome! Now why didn't I make this before?

Jessica saved Carol's life Carol's life after Rogue took her powers.

001.jpg

Jessica checking up on the mystery woman she just rescued.

002.jpg

Jessica is with Xavier helping Carol. Carol felt betrayed by the Avengers, how she seems abondoned. I. But, Jessica Drew is there for her.

005.jpg

Carol and Jessica. The beginning of a beautiful friendship.

p2c_aa10_p33.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to be proven wrong, but like I said on another thread, I really cannot see them introducing Jessica until the sequel. That's a whole other super-character you have to deal with and explain in what is already an origin movie for the protagonist.

IMO there's a reason the general formula for the MCU movies has been to focus on the hero and then only have superpowered partners/sidekicks in the sequels.

There's also that she's a somewhat awkward character, being spider-themed and yet completely unrelated to Spider-man.

I've thought about that, too. Personally, what I think MS should do if they want to avoid any possible confusion is

- Not call her Spider-Woman in the movies. Characters in the MCU are rarely addressed by their superhero/villain names anyway
- Remove the wall-climbing ability from her powerset
- Base her movie costume on the recent redesign rather than on the classic one.

I've suggested Emily Blunt over and over again.

JDEB_zpshvaoz54i.jpg
A movie starring Larson as Carol and Blunt as Jessica is not a movie that I'd be able to survive, but sure. Why not.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go that far. Certainly, calling her Jessica Drew often and having her dress in civilian clothes (as she did in the Madripoor era of the Wolverine book and often in Spider-Woman: Agent of SWORD) would mitigate things, but I think they can lampshade it. Have her get angry when someone asks if she's ripping off Spider-Man.

I guess I forgot she's going to be carol's bff she should be reasonably close to Brie's age.

You know, I just saw the crown and I reckon Claire Foy might be an interesting choice

Then in that case who should be cast as Jessica Drew since Brie Larson is Captain Marvel? I will go with Anna Kendrick

I guess I forgot she's going to be carol's bff she should be reasonably close to Brie's age.

Considering they're only friends in the comics because Jessica rescued Carol from near death, I don't think age matters much.

You know, I just saw the crown and I reckon Claire Foy might be an interesting choice

I still need to see that show. Based on images, Claire Foy looks maybe too relatable, if that makes sense. Emily Blunt can pull off a more mysterious character, which I think fits Jessica Drew better.

Jessica Drew doesn't have to have her powers just yet. She can show up in CM pre-powered.

Are we going to change her backstory? She had powers since she was a kid in the comics.

Perhaps, but it's like I said previously. You kinda run into a weird situation of having to have to explain or introduce a completely unrelated superhero character otherwise while also trying to do an origin story for the actual title character.

That's of course ignoring how you even introduce her. I'd say it'd be easiest to have her as an agent of SWORD but we don't even know if SWORD will be in the movie.

Perhaps, but it's like I said previously. You kinda run into a weird situation of having to have to explain or introduce a completely unrelated superhero character otherwise while also trying to do an origin story for the actual title character.

That's of course ignoring how you even introduce her. I'd say it'd be easiest to have her as an agent of SWORD but we don't even know if SWORD will be in the movie.

Let me dream.

b2ddfd50ad6cf98f0abd77db56df2e6c.jpg

Considering they're only friends in the comics because Jessica rescued Carol from near death, I don't think age matters much.

I still need to see that show. Based on images, Claire Foy looks maybe too relatable, if that makes sense. Emily Blunt can pull off a more mysterious character, which I think fits Jessica Drew better.

See it! It's grand. And I reckon Claire can do mysterious. She's a very good actress

Well, that's why I absolutely don't want her in this movie. I would prefer they wait until the second Captain Marvel movie.

I've suggested Emily Blunt over and over again. Keep her with her British accent and she'll be perfect for the Agent of SWORD Spider-Woman (I don't know if anyone else has seen the motion comic version of that). Plus, I think she can pull off that mysterious look like she's hiding something that is key to Jessica Drew.

JDEB_zpshvaoz54i.jpg

That being said, I do think she should be saved for a second movie. Let Carol have time to shine before they expand her cast.

I'd be up for Emily Blunt as Jessica. I think she would be able to convey the mysterious allure of the character as well as the potentially old-world feel from another time. Definitely should keep the British accent too, since that's what Jessica was. I'd also like her to keep her brown hair as Jessica, at least for the first film, and wear a long black wig for when she's Spider-Woman. That's how the character started off before she dyed her hair black and before it was long enough for her to use her real hair.

Are we going to change her backstory? She had powers since she was a kid in the comics.

Well, she was put in the acceleration chamber as a kid, but she only emerged from the chamber with her powers as an adult, so her whole adult life has been with powers. But I don't want them to change her backstory and have a pre-powered Jessica as an adult. That takes away from her unique backstory.

If they want to change anything at all and not have her connected to Hydra (which I think would be a mistake to lose), then they can make it more like the cartoon origin where she was simply injected with the spider serum as a child with no connection to anything else, and gained powers that way.

[YT]F91AoQ1wuyc[/YT]

I prefer the darker origin from the comics though, with the supernatural feel of the early issues. I think Jessica has the potential to straddle both the spy and supernatural genres. She could also straddle the private investigator genre, but that could be wandering into Jessica Jones territory, which was actually a copy of Jessica Drew in the first place.

I would also prefer Spider-Woman is her own hero, instead of having to simply be part of Carol's cast. That makes her too much like Patsy "Trish" Walker in Jessica Jones, who may not even end up a hero, especially if Jessica Drew were to be unpowered.

After seeing Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black, I think she'd be perfect to play Jessica Drew. That woman has more than enough talent to pull off a complicated character like Jessica Drew.

And I'd like them to get Jessica in the MCU sooner rather than later - I really wish the TV and Movie sides were talking because you could put Jess on Agents of SHIELD or the Netflix shows (with her already having her powers ) and maybe explore her origins there a bit - which could basically be explained in 2 sentences. Then they could work her into the movies around or after Avengers #4 - and have her and Carol become BFFs at that point.

She would be the PERFECT character to weave between the movies and TV because of her background. It would be a shame to waste the potential.

Last edited:
Well, that's why I absolutely don't want her in this movie. I would prefer they wait until the second Captain Marvel movie.

Basically my thoughts on the matter.

After seeing Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black, I think she'd be perfect to play Jessica Drew. That woman has more than enough talent to pull off a complicated character like Jessica Drew.

Agreed. Gugu Mbatha-Raw is my 2nd pick.

I would also prefer Spider-Woman is her own hero, instead of having to simply be part of Carol's cast.
Yeah, the idea of MS hiring a great talent (like the aforementioned Blunt and Maslany) to play a character with such a rich history and then wasting both elements in a supporting role is nothing short of idiotic to me. If they do bring Spider-Woman into the MCU, she'd better get her own movie at some point.

Then again, you could make the same argument for Black Widow or Scarlet Witch. :hehe:

Last edited:
Marvel hires well known and talented actors to play supporting roles all the time. They just got two Oscar winners to play supporting characters in the Black Panther movie.

True, but I really wouldn't compare Zuri and Nakia - whoever they are - to Jessica Drew.

Marvel hires well known and talented actors to play supporting roles all the time. They just got two Oscar winners to play supporting characters in the Black Panther movie.

Tilda Swinton too. She was perfect in Doctor Strange. As much as people complained about white-washing, I just didn't care, I just knew that she could nail a character like The Ancient One. There's a stoicness and elegance about her that just made her perfect for the role. Marvel hires all this Oscar talent, for their supporting roles but Brie will be the only Oscar talent to star as a lead. What gives?

I'd be up for Emily Blunt as Jessica. I think she would be able to convey the mysterious allure of the character as well as the potentially old-world feel from another time. Definitely should keep the British accent too, since that's what Jessica was. I'd also like her to keep her brown hair as Jessica, at least for the first film, and wear a long black wig for when she's Spider-Woman. That's how the character started off before she dyed her hair black and before it was long enough for her to use her real hair.

Well, she was put in the acceleration chamber as a kid, but she only emerged from the chamber with her powers as an adult, so her whole adult life has been with powers. But I don't want them to change her backstory and have a pre-powered Jessica as an adult. That takes away from her unique backstory.

If they want to change anything at all and not have her connected to Hydra (which I think would be a mistake to lose), then they can make it more like the cartoon origin where she was simply injected with the spider serum as a child with no connection to anything else, and gained powers that way.

[YT]F91AoQ1wuyc[/YT]

I prefer the darker origin from the comics though, with the supernatural feel of the early issues. I think Jessica has the potential to straddle both the spy and supernatural genres. She could also straddle the private investigator genre, but that could be wandering into Jessica Jones territory, which was actually a copy of Jessica Drew in the first place.

I would also prefer Spider-Woman is her own hero, instead of having to simply be part of Carol's cast. That makes her too much like Patsy "Trish" Walker in Jessica Jones, who may not even end up a hero, especially if Jessica Drew were to be unpowered.

Didn't Bendis retcon her origin? How do we stop him?

Jess could still have her powers in her film, it doesn't use them. She could be a spy, undercover evaluating Carol for possible recruitment to Sword of Alpha Flight. As a spy, she wouldn't be in uniform and avoid using her powers to keep her cover. Think of Black Widow in Iron Man 2. Jess is like a super powered BW, anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"