Spider-Woman Discussion Thread

Except Jessica has Spider in her super hero name and wall crawls. They might be able to use Jessica Drew but not the name Spider-Woman or the wall crawling(or possibly now the webwings) as those are associated with Spider- Man.

That said, Marvels deal with SOny could change this, since Spidey is in the MCU now.

She doesnt have to be Spider-Woman in the MCU. I can easily see them doing with her what they did with Hellcat. If she were a supporting character in Captain Marvel's films that would work even better

She doesnt have to be Spider-Woman in the MCU. I can easily see them doing with her what they did with Hellcat. If she were a supporting character in Captain Marvel's films that would work even better

What a waste of a good character.

Something has to give when introducing a character like that.

So just introducing a character named Jessica Drew but taking away her powers and everything else that makes her who she is, just for the sake of being able to say she's in the MCU as a supporting character?

So just introducing a character named Jessica Drew but taking away her powers and everything else that makes her who she is, just for the sake of being able to say she's in the MCU as a supporting character?

Or just not put her in at all. Which (I feel like I'm repeating myself) is what I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

I would rather she is not in at all if she's just going to end up like Hellcat in Jessica Jones. Either do her properly or not at all, but not as some extremely watered-down version just for a token nod. I don't want her in Captain Marvel anyway but in her own movie. Who is saying to put her in Captain Marvel?

I would rather she is not in at all if she's just going to end up like Hellcat in Jessica Jones. Either do her properly or not at all, but not as some extremely watered-down version just for a token nod. I don't want her in Captain Marvel anyway but in her own movie. Who is saying to put her in Captain Marvel?

thats the entire premise of this thread; people who have suggested wanting her in this film. Go read previous comments. It wouldnt have been my first choice but Im all fine with her popping up here in some capacity. It could help serve as an intro to the character before she gets powered up possibly via a Hydra abduction

thats the entire premise of this thread; people who have suggested wanting her in this film. Go read previous comments. It wouldnt have been my first choice but Im all fine with her popping up here in some capacity. It could help serve as an intro to the character before she gets powered up possibly via a Hydra abduction

I don't know which thread this is. It just pops up on my subscriptions and doesn't show which forum it's in. I just thought it was a Spider-Woman thread.

An unrelated Spider-Woman thread that happens to be in another movie's forum grouping obviously.

Captain Marvel #0 Spoilers:

http://cbr0.imgix.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Captain-Marvel-0-3.jpg?auto=format&lossless=1&q=90&w=1200&h=1321&fit=crop

Everybody get your fanfic ready! :woot:

Lol! I see Marvel has already started the damage control. You gotta love how quickly [BLACKOUT]Carol and Jess have made peace[/BLACKOUT].

It's almost as if the characters (and maybe even Stohl herself) are as anxious as us readers to forget the events of Civil War II. :sly:

Jess is Carols best friend and as such people want her to be in the MCU (and eventually) in the Captain Marvel movies. She came up so often in the general discussion thread I started the thread.

In regards to the above Spoiler....check out the preview for Spider-Woman 14. It's gonna be a heartbreaker and it looks as if Hopeless is addressing the Carol/Jess thing too.

I have been of the mind that Spider Woman would make a great Black Widow villain if they ever decided to give her that solo movie/ Hawkeye team up movie. Jess has a history with HYDRA and considering she has a background as a spy it could be a cool way to introduce her. Maybe she already worked for shield and she was a fallen agent on that Budipest mission? It might be a little too similar to The Winter Soilder though but it will give her a Spider themed connection that isn't Spider-Man.

Similarly, I feel Namor should be the Black Panther 2 villain which would probably work better as you can give him the Loki treatment. The war of the kings.

I don't know, they'd have to nerf Jessica fairly hard unless they wanted her to be the Invincible Horror Villain archetype, somebody that Natasha *can't* fight directly.

I want to see Spider Woman and She Hulk in one of these MCU films someday! I feel like they are so overdue for a film adaptation.

If anyone ever wants to give the Sony hacks a read on Wikileaks, the Spider-Woman situation is clarified. The deal was Marvel owns the character of Jessica Drew but cannot give her spider-like powers or use the name or costume.

M3aRhhY.jpg

I would be interested to see if that has changed since Marvel struck the deal with Sony, or if Marvel still has to work something out.

Spider Woman's costume never looked anything like Spider-Man's though. It wasn't remotely derivative.

It's got the red primary color scheme, the white eyes and the underarm webs (even though Spidey had stopped using his by then).

I'd sure love to see Sony try and make a movie about an empty red costume nicknamed Spider-Woman that can stick to walls.

It's got the red primary color scheme, the white eyes and the underarm webs (even though Spidey had stopped using his by then).

Yeah, she would be Jessica Drew like in the Wolverine solo or the majority of Bendis's Spider-Woman series.

That being said, if they can't do at least some of the stuff, I don't see the point of having her.

Iron Man has red as his primary colour scheme too though. Jessica didn't have red with webbing. It was a smooth red unadorned with anything. Her costume was red and yellow.

And her underarm webs were completely different to Spider-Man's. Hers were like gliders and a completely different design. She just looked like a completely different character from the outset and it was only her name that tied her to him. Even her power set was pretty different.

Deadpool has white eyes. So does Black Panther. It's not like Spider-Man has a monopoly on certain colours.

Well now Marvel has the deal with Sony - so maybe they can use Jessica Drew and all her Spider-Powers now. I also think her new costume would work in the MCU better than the old one - if they go the Shield/Hydra Agent route it would be more in line with what we've seen in the MCU so far.

Jessica didn't have red with webbing.

You're basically splitting hairs. Yes Black Panther, Iron Man and Deadpool have white eyes or red outfits but they weren't created explicitly to be female counterparts to Spider-Man, so far fewer people are meant to draw that visual comparison. The character was deemed to be derivative enough of Spider-Man (and that was literally Stan Lee's justification for why she was created; so nobody else could swoop in and try to market their own female Spider-Man) that it was agreed the outfit and powers couldn't be used. There's nothing more to it.

Last edited:
Spider Woman's costume never looked anything like Spider-Man's though. It wasn't remotely derivative.

That leak basically says she can't wear any variation of a female Spider-Man costume as we've seen more derivative ones in the books, even worn by Jessica herself

ultimate_spider_woman_painted_by_mattgoodall-d5e4eqg.jpg

That's straight up a red version of the classic symbiote look

I'd sure love to see Sony try and make a movie about an empty red costume nicknamed Spider-Woman that can stick to walls.

Jessica Drew means nothing to the general public. They could make a character called Jennifer Drake that takes on the mantle and I dont think it would matter much except to a very small group

Last edited:
I wonder what "Spider powers" even means. Her comic book powerset is physical enhancement, venom blasts, flight, and pheromones. Would physical enhancements count as "Spider powers"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"