Spider-Woman Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by SwiftFox, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Spider-Man never had venom blasts, flight or pheremones. And super strength is generic as most heroes have that.

2. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

There's the obvious, sticking to walls and webbing and possibly Spidey sense. The venom blasts and pheromone control would likely fall under that too.

3. Dark Raven

She doesn't have webbing or spidey sense.

And how can venom blasts and pheremone control count as similar powers to Spider-Man since he doesn't even have those in the first place?

4. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

616 Jessica Drew doesnt have that powers. Those provisions were done so that Sony's interpretations of the character did not as well

Who said they were similar to Spider-Man?That document if true, did not. Venom and pheromone manipulation are forms of how spiders attack, not necessarily characteristic of Spider-man. Those powers are how she got her name, Spider-Woman, and therefore count as "spider powers"

#79 Havok83, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  5. MbJ

MbJ Registered

Basically MCU Spider-Woman would've been "Plainclothes Glider-Woman".:oldrazz:

6. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

Miles Morales also has Venom Blasts too. They totally count as a Spider-Power.

7. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

I'd love to see 616 Jessica Drew/Spider-woman in the MCU, but she has to be a SHIELD asgent and wear an adaptation of her classic costume and not that awful biker jacket and derpy glasses that is the modern costume.

8. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

Oh see - I think the new outfit would carry over to the MCU a lot better than her classic outfit and would translate into a SHIELD outfit better.

9. MbJ

MbJ Registered

If she's a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent there's virtually no chance of her wearing the classic costume. Ask Hawkeye how that worked out for him.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't design the new costume with an eye towards live-action.

10. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

[​IMG]
    SHIELD agent variant!

To be fair to Hawkeye, they did use his comic costume, it just was ripped from the Ultimate books

11. MbJ

MbJ Registered

The stealth variant could maybe work but I'm sure people would complain about that too, lol.

They used Hawkeye's Ultimate look because that's just what made sense in the context of the story. A government spy agency probably isn't gonna send people out on missions wearing purple spandex with big pointy masks, unless I've missed some really interesting episodes of 24.

There's a pretty popular fan-artist named Vylla who did her take on an MCU-style SHIELD/HYDRA version of Spider-Woman and that's sorta what I'd imagine.

[​IMG]

12. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

I love Vylla's artwork - though I missed that one. Interesting for sure and definitely not bad -I still prefer the current one though.

And I think Mbj is right - they probably geared Jess' current costume towards live action.

13. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

To each their own. I think the biker jacket would look out of place and even more of a patchwork mess in live action. If Black Widow can have a one piece spy suit then I don't see why they can't make an honest try with Spider-woman.

Or ask Black Widow. It's still the mcu which still gave her, Captain America and Spider-man adaptations of their classic looks.

Doesn't really do it for me. I'd be up for some muting of colour and playing with the design, but not eliminating it entirely.

Just to add. I don't think Spider-woman is even being looked at by this stage. She's probably in the same limbo she was prior to the Sony deal.

14. Dark Raven

I wouldn't want her in black or in grey. It has to be red and yellow. That design was so eyecatching and iconic.

And the stealth variant looks like a generic SHIELD jumpsuit. It's so boring and we've seen everyone wear that design hundreds of times before. Even Mockingbird's "costume" looked like a generic SHIELD jumpsuit on AoS and that was dull.

15. MbJ

MbJ Registered

Who wears a black SHIELD jumpsuit in the comics because she's an agent of SHIELD there too. There was nothing to change.

Spider-Man is an unaffiliated superhero so there's no issue with him wearing colorful red and blue. Ditto Cap. When Cap was working for SHIELD in the second movie, they did give him a muted and more practical outfit.

The MCU changes or tweaks the designs rather frequently.

16. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Point is they still gave Black Widow her costume. Cap has his and outside of basic grunts in their blue jumpsuits there isn't a set uniform for heroes in SHIELD. Even Hawkeye had some colour injected into his with nods to his Ultimate costume. Still don't see why they can't make an attempt at classic Spider-woman.

Cap's suit was hardly more practical because it had the red and white abs removed. Any supposed practicality comes from the pretend padding they have. They didn't make it black and they kept the America motif.

17. MbJ

MbJ Registered

Point is, they did because it's completely in line with what SHIELD agents wear. Hawkeye was given his Ultimate design because his original look wasn't.

It was, actually. That was the entire point behind it. Making it a darker shade of blue and adding in black and gray made it something that would allow him to blend in and do stealth stuff more easily. As one is want to do when they're part of a spy organization. Even the SHIELD was given a darker blue paint job

18. MbJ

MbJ Registered

Point is, they did because it's completely in line with what SHIELD agents wear. Hawkeye was given his Ultimate design because his original look wasn't.

It was, actually. That was the entire point behind it. Making it a darker shade of blue and adding in black and gray made it something that would allow him to blend in and do stealth stuff more easily. As one is want to do when they're part of a spy organization. Even the shield was given a darker blue paint job.

[​IMG]

It's even called the "Stealth Suit".

19. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Hawkeye and Black Widow aren't normal SHIELD agents and don't wear SHIELD uniforms. They have their own costumes. Still don't see why they can't try better with Spider-woman.

Just saying that my suspension of disbelief is a bit challenged when all you do is mute the blue and eliminate the white and red, but you're still left with a conspicuous superhero costume, not a SHIELD uniform. I'm sold on the padding more in believability though.

20. MbJ

MbJ Registered

They wear outfits that are designed with a tactical stealth element, is the point. When there is a context for the outfits to look more colorful and outlandish, Marvel goes for it. When it comes from a SHIELD context where a more militarized or tactical look makes the most sense (or in some cases just less fan servicey, I suppose, like the costumes in Guardians of the Galaxy), they go for that.

You could have a Spider-Woman in a comic accurate red spandex outfit or you could have a Spider-Woman who works as a SHIELD agent, but those two elements combined are unlikely, is my point. An actual costume would be more likely if they introduced her in a Spider-Man movie or something.

#95 MbJ, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  21. Dark Raven

I really don't want Spider-Woman as a SHIELD agent. That is so boring, and we've had plenty of that before.

I prefer the morally ambiguous dark angel of the night version we got in the early run, who was still trying to figure herself out after discovering she had been used by Hydra. She wasn't sure if she wanted to be good or bad. Then eventually she became more of a superhero, having been inspired by Spider-Man, but up until that point she was still toeing the line between criminal and heroine. And later she became a private detective, but was still pretty much a lone crusader not tied to any organisation.

The only dealings she had with SHIELD was trying to kill Nick Fury, having been sent by Hydra to assassinate him.

Just pigeon holing her into the standard SHIELD agent template feels very predictable and tired at this point. And giving her a SHIELD jumpsuit is even worse.

22. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

I wouldn't be against a Hydra angle instead, but would that be viable now given we're post Hydra's fall or do you think her being a holdover from before would be fine enough?

23. Dark Raven

If they had her in the suspended animation chamber as in the original comics, and they didn't mind playing that angle again, then they could easily do the Hydra thing. She would be from a time when she thought that Hydra still exists - even Hydra from the Cap era rather than modern Hydra.

She would feel more out of touch though than Cap, because he had SHIELD to welcome him, and the Avengers, and he was seen as a hero.

If Jessica is like the reverse side of the coin, having been seen as a villain, then it would add a new element to the woman out of time scenario and distinguish it from Cap. But there's plenty to set her apart from him so it won't feel like a retread. And honestly, people might not even catch on with that, because they'd be focused on thinking she's related to Spider-Man instead.

24. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

I think the Suspended animation was in both the Original comic and Bendis' re-do so it's entirely possible. And Hydra was mentioned in Ant-Man so we know it's not gone completely (as AOS will also attest). They could easily do what Dark Raven said - follow her origins as a bad guy and then have her switch sides. Or they could just gloss over that and maybe have her as an Agent of Shield? Who knows - there are a lot of angles they could play with Jess.

Hell, if they wanted to relate her to Spider-Man anyway, they could always just say the Spider that bit Peter was based of her father's research.

25. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I don't think Marvel would want to tie her into Spider-man more. After all, the reason they couldn't use her easily in the first place was because of the unfortunate name. Hydra would probably be the origin, if they used her. Its not like Hydra even needs to be extant for an old experiment of their's to wake up.