Spider-Woman Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by SwiftFox, Nov 10, 2016.

1. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

I honestly wouldn't want them to tie her to Spider-Man in the least - Jessica Drew works because she's got nothing to do with Spidey.

Just tossing that out there as a what if (but I hope not).

2. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

If they were to use her Hydtra origin would she be more suited to a TV show? Either her own or as part of a pre-existing show since we've seen Hydra been more of a fixture there than it has the movies.

3. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I don't want her tied to Spider-Man either. Plus she shouldn't be, because chronologically she should precede him by decades.

This. She could've been an old Hydra experiment from the early to mid 20th century. I don't know when Hydra were meant to have originated. If they predated Captain America and the Red Skull, then they could make her an experiment from the early part of the century. If not, then she could be post WWII.

The reason no-one would've heard of her all this time is that she would have been in suspended animation all this time. I suppose she could even be similar to the Winter Soldier as a Hydra assassin who was woken up every now and then. In fact, they could tie her more to Winter Soldier than Spider-Man and all the other Super Soldier experiments shown in Civil War. Except that perhaps she would've been a unique "Super Soldier" in that she wouldn't have originated from the SSS but from the spider serum that her father created.

The only way I would link Spider-Man with her is that he might eventually encounter her, and as a teenaged boy filled with hormones, and with a boost from her pheromones, he might develop a temporary infatuation with her until he finds out that she's probably a century older than him.

4. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

I think in Jessica's Original run she was in suspended animation from like the 1930s to whatever year it was in that first run. Then when Bendis brought her back after how many decades, he retoconned it to like 10 years or something like that - she went in at like 7 and was woken up at like 17 (if I recall correctly).

I don't like her pheromone powers - they are extremely unfortunate. BUT that could be an excellent story to tell if done right (Preferably on Netflix or her own solo movie and by the people who did Jessica Jones).

5. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Well she could still have woken up looking like she was aged 17. I liked that she had been asleep for decades and was as much out of time as Captain America, but unlike him, she wasn't regarded as a hero at all and wasn't well received upon her return. She had to find her own way and didn't even know whether she was a hero or villain or what she wanted to be.

I liked the pheromone powers. They kept her isolated even more and added to her loneliness. She could never tell if people were genuinely attracted to her or whether it was the powers working. And people seemed repulsed by her if it didn't work in the "positive" way to attract. They couldn't explain why, but were simply overcome by a sense of extreme repulsion and thought she was creepy.

I thought there was so much interesting about her. She was my favourite superheroine along with She-Hulk. I had the entire run of her original series. I wouldn't mind even getting the collection version of it in black and white: Essential Spider-Woman. Of course, I'd prefer it in colour so that I have it all there in one or two volumes instead of having to go to separate issues if I want to reread it.

6. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

And what you just explained is exactly why it could be a really interesting story - but it has to be told the right way.

I really wish they'd put her original run on Marvel Unlimited.

7. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

Someone over on Tumblr fancast Australian Actress Phoebe Tonkin as Jessica Drew. I can see it.

[​IMG]

8. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

EXCLUSIVE HOT RUMOR: SILVER AND BLACK STORY DETAILS!
    I don't think it's true but hey, you never know.

In any case, true or not, I'm kinda starting to lose hope that we'll ever see Jessica in the MCU. To me it seems like someone at Sony has already lost all the will to collaborate with Marvel.

#108 Abudefduf, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  9. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

I didn't realize that Dominic Fortune was in this rumor. I think we can all but debunk that. He was going to be in Marvel's Most Wanted, so he's with Marvel, not Sony.

10. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

But what is Sony negotiated to have him and that's why Marvel's Most Wanted got cancelled? OR did they snatch him up after the show fell through?

I really hope Jessica Drew isn't with Sony. She belongs in the MCU with Carol and the Avengers.

11. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

I suspect neither. Marvel has shown an absolute unwillingness to give away any of their characters ever again.

12. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I don't believe the rumor, or at least all of it. Note that it mentions Roxxon Oil, which we know Marvel holds. I don't really believe that Marvel would let Sony use it, for a movie not set in the MCU.

13. Richard Grayson

Richard Grayson Registered

It's too bad about the Marvel-Sony situation. I'd love to see the Carol-Jessica friendship onscreen

14. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

I'm hoping that in that Spider-Man deal they worked out something for Jess in Captain Marvel. Seriously, Jess belongs in the MCU not in the Sony Spider-Verse.

15. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Was it ever confirmed that she was part of the Spiderman deal when they first sold te rights?

16. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

^ Yep.

17. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

Theres nothing about that that prevents an onscreen friendship

18. Richard Grayson

Richard Grayson Registered

They could still do it but she can't be Spider-Woman.

19. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

I'd take non-powered Jessica over no Jessica at all. I mean, it wouldn't be my preferred choice but at least there'd be no risk of ever seeing her suddenly disappear from the MCU because of a fallout between Marvel and Sony.

20. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

But see, with the Sony Deal, I'm not sure why they can't compromise on Jess having her Spider-Powers if they did it with Peter(but really - wall crawling is the only Spider-Power she really has. The rest aren't necessarily Spider powers.)

21. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

I would like to know how recent this is because the one I saw was from 2011 - and I know the leaks are more recent than that.

#121 SwiftFox, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  22. MbJ

MbJ Registered

I can't imagine much if anything has changed regarding the character's legal status.

23. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

So they have the character and if need be could get around the Spider part. Like it was stated, the only real Spider power of hers is sticking to places. But I am sure Marvel/Sony would work out using her to her full potential in films but not be able to give her a solo movie since I believe that is the same deal they have with The Hulk.

24. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Its not even like Jessica Drew has "spider powers" particularly in the first place, yes.

25. Darepool

Darepool Registered

Got around to watching Orphan Black and really understand what some folks mean in terms of casting Tatiana. Terrific.