Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods Starring Chadwick Boseman

This was not what I was expecting at all. I thought it was going to be set more during the Vietnam War, but really it was only a handful of scenes.

That being said, I really enjoyed it. The first hour is a bit slow but the last 45 minutes or so makes up for it. Delroy Lindo gives a great performance of a man slowly losing his sanity. The other performances are strong as well, although the ending was surprising in the way it wrapped things up in a happy ending for the characters.

I think I enjoyed Blackkklansman more but this was solid.

This was not what I was expecting at all. I thought it was going to be set more during the Vietnam War, but really it was only a handful of scenes.

That being said, I really enjoyed it. The first hour is a bit slow but the last 45 minutes or so makes up for it. Delroy Lindo gives a great performance of a man slowly losing his sanity. The other performances are strong as well, although the ending was surprising in the way it wrapped things up in a happy ending for the characters.

I think I enjoyed Blackkklansman more but this was solid.
This is pretty much my thoughts as well. I still prefer Black Klansman but this was good.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this as well and while I do wish it was set more during the Vietnam War era it was still very well done and the performances were strong all around, especially Delroy Lindo who gave an almost Oscar worthy performance IMO. Seriously, next to Hugh Jackman's performance in Bad Education its easily my second favorite performance of the year. I'd put it about on par with Blackkklansman honestly.

8/10

Spike's movies are always going to have some awkwardly constructed scenes, lax editing, on the nose dialogue. I think this movie worked for the most part. Delroy Lindo is incredible and he has a couple monologues that obliterate the fourth wall and send chills through the screen. I have mixed feelings about the plot (a lot of contrivances and a lot of Apocalypse Now and Treasure of Sierra Madre riffing... along with a weird Blazing Saddles reference, ha) and sometimes the film just sort of dawdles.

Blanchard's score is getting praise but it was a bit too shmaltzy for me. However, the soundtrack features of Marvin Gaye work sooo well, What's Going On is one of my favorite albums and Spike really had a vision for it (also a classic Curtis Mayfield track). You get a sense of what the film could have been if the music had been more like that throughout and the film had cut back on some of the dialogue.

It is definitely a film of moments. Like a lot of Spike's work, it is very messy, but I do think the powerful polemic hits (the opening montage, the closing MLK speech, and how that stuff is woven into the film) and Lindo's incendiary, captivating rendition of a complex character make it well worth a watch.

I've got about 40+ minutes left but I cracked up really hard when Isiah Whitlock Jr said his catchphrase. :funny:

The film was already so referential I shouldn't have been surprised that Spike went there with Whitlock, but I still kinda was, heh.

I liked it. It's not one of my favorite Lee films as I did find it a bit messy at times but over all still very good. The actors were wonderful.

I'm also obsessed with this shot at the beginning of the film. Absolutely love it.
b75fca5b0515568da610b1ef4ac84d8e77e01a19.gifv

Spike's movies are always going to have some awkwardly constructed scenes, lax editing, on the nose dialogue. I think this movie worked for the most part. Delroy Lindo is incredible and he has a couple monologues that obliterate the fourth wall and send chills through the screen. I have mixed feelings about the plot (a lot of contrivances and a lot of Apocalypse Now and Treasure of Sierra Madre riffing... along with a weird Blazing Saddles reference, ha) and sometimes the film just sort of dawdles.

Blanchard's score is getting praise but it was a bit too shmaltzy for me. However, the soundtrack features of Marvin Gaye work sooo well, What's Going On is one of my favorite albums and Spike really had a vision for it (also a classic Curtis Mayfield track). You get a sense of what the film could have been if the music had been more like that throughout and the film had cut back on some of the dialogue.

It is definitely a film of moments. Like a lot of Spike's work, it is very messy, but I do think the powerful polemic hits (the opening montage, the closing MLK speech, and how that stuff is woven into the film) and Lindo's incendiary, captivating rendition of a complex character make it well worth a watch.

Yeah, it’s messy, but I’m happy Netflix allowed him to make a big ambitious film like this. It has several phenomenal scenes that make it totally worth it.

Though Blakklansmen is the better movie, this will be Spike Lee‘s win at the Oscars. Even the old white academy couldn’t ignore it‘s BLM theme
Its almost scary, how the ending refers on the current situation

I'm not sure there's ever been a director that has less attachment to his characters than Spike. QT may be the only other one.

Though Blakklansmen is the better movie, this will be Spike Lee‘s win at the Oscars. Even the old white academy couldn’t ignore it‘s BLM theme
Its almost scary, how the ending refers on the current situation

I liked this more than BlacKKlansman, even though it's too long and and few scenes dragged a bit too long and one trick where a certain characters talks to the camera took me out of it.

Delroy Lindo needs to be in more films. I don't think I've seen him in a movie since The One.

Clarke Peters would be a great Lucius Fox in a Batman movie.

I was waiting for Isiah Whitlock Jr to deliver his infamous line and he didn't disappoint.

Spike Lee sure loves his Euro actresses.

Finally watched this at the weekend after the tragic Boseman news. I am probably not the target audience for this movie being an English white guy, but I enjoyed it. The editing was crazy at times and it was a bit overlong. But I liked all of the cast and the way things turned out at the end was suitably crazy.

7.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"