SPOILER FREE***Dr. Strange USER REVIEW thread***SPOILER FREE

MessiahDecoy123

Psychological Anarchist
Reaction score
Give us your spoiler free review of Dr.Strange here.

NO SPOILERS, PLEASE.

Good idea, hope to see this used often up until us in America can see it.

Just got back home, full review as follows.

Introducing magic into the MCU was always going to be a challenge given the previous movies in the series, so the big question going in was could the creative team figure out a way to make it work within the context of the MCU. The answer is..... sort of. Whilst solidly made Dr Strange is a film that despite being entertaining and a good character journey, sometimes feels at conflict with itself trying to justify magic. It's this weird middle ground Marvel have tried to forge that doesn't always work. Magic played in a realistic setting tends to bring up a lot of 'yeah, but' type of questions, and despite valiant efforts to try and explain how it's possible the film still falls into those same logical traps.

As for the story itself, it is very much a fairly predictable origin story, however the character of Dr Strange is so engaging and brilliantly performed by Cumberbatch that you can easily over look it. Any one who says this is simply a repainted version of Iron Man isn't watching closely enough. Strange and Stark might both initially be arrogant and brilliant, but this is where the character similarities differ. Strange's life changing experience doesn't initially alter who he is as a person. The underlying theme is about acceptance and moving on, and the Ancient One more or less tells Strange this, that even though life can screw you over doesn't mean you can't still do good things, a concept Strange struggles to contend with throughout the movie.

The cast in this is fantastic. Tilda Swinton is great as the Ancient One, I know there was a lot of controversy around her casting but in all honesty I think the right choice was made, she brings gravitas and wisdom to the role. Rachel McAdams despite not having much of a presence shows she's such an underrated talent being able to bring so much with very little to work with. Chiwetel Ejiofor is great as Mordo whose path in future stories is laid out as the movie progresses. Benedict Wong is not in the film as much as I thought but is still solid. Mads Mikkelsen is about as good as the character can be, Kaecilius is yet another stock standard Marvel villain, an issue that either they can't fix or don't want to fix.

In terms of what didn't work, whilst the story is pretty solid it feels like there are pieces of the narrative missing. Strange's journey never seems like it's actually completed. The first act of the film is a training story like in Batman Begins but the film seems to forget to complete that part of the journey. The other thing that doesn't work is some of the humour. Sometimes the humour feels completely natural within the context of what's going on, other times it that out just feels awkwardly placed. There are also moments with the Cape of Levitation that feel too cartoonish even by Marvel standards.

The big surprise to me was that visually I wasn't nearly as impressed with the magic and reality warping effects as I thought I would be. To my surprise I felt like most of the effects in the movie I saw already in the trailer, albeit just an extension of it. Maybe I was just expecting something more than what was delivered, but I'm not 100% sure what that something was. The final action sequence in Hong Kong though made up for it, a genuinely unique action sequence and brilliantly shot.

Overall, The movie is at its best when it's focused on the characters. That's not to say the action sequences aren't good in parts, but this film feels much better when it's not trying to be a superhero movie. It's a film that has some really good strengths offset by some minor but very noticeable weaknesses. But if this is how magic gets introduced into the MCU then this is probably as good as you can do it.

7/10

Thanks for the review jmc!

Thanks for the honest and sharp review, JMC.

I'm curious whether I'll enjoy it more than you did.

This film had a huge potential, there were some great ideas in it, but overall it was just good.

All those fantastic moments they could have build upon were brought down by rather under-developed characters and script. I don't hesitate to use terms formulaic and safe, because that's what it was.

I thought villains could have been so awesome, the Kaecilius' premise was so great but they did not do anything interesting with it. (Just jump here and run there and kick this guy and smack this one, I was quite bored, tbh.)

Actors elevated the material a lot. Without their abilities to make it all feel better and all the special effects, it would be rather poor movie, actually.

I loved the finale.

edit: Rewatched the movie, I liked it more the second time around. Again, the finale is so great.

Last edited:
For those of you who would be so kind as to review the movie without ruining it for us. :oldrazz:

My mini review of Doctor Strange, saw it on Tuesday.
The reality bending stuff, what you see in trailers is just the tip of the iceberg. Visually, it's like Inception on steroids lol. Probably Marvel's best origin movie since Iron Man. I give it the same score as Captain America: The First Avenger but the narrative was more streamlined, good subplot too. Good mid credits scene with a certain character, post credits scene wasn't bad either. I could go on and on but then I'd be entering spoiler territory. Shoutout to Scott Adkins for representing Birmingham in the MCU! Oh well, you'll just have to see it yourself. 8 spells out of 10.

There's already a spoiler free thread. Just stickied it.
Adding this one to it

Mads Mikkelsen is about as good as the character can be, Kaecilius is yet another stock standard Marvel villain, an issue that either they can't fix or don't want to fix.

Sadly it has become pretty clear they don't want to. I get the impression they think it will short-change the development of the hero - something I completely disagree with.

The best hero stories always have an equally good villain.

Sadly it has become pretty clear they don't want to. I get the impression they think it will short-change the development of the hero - something I completely disagree with.

Yea, shallow opposition definitely does not elevate or accentuate hero himself, quite the opposite, it makes his effort feel mundane.

And as I've said, Kaecilius' had so much potential with his world view but they decided not to do anything interesting with it. :csad:

It was amazing! The only thing that I didn't like was the humour came across flat most of the time, and even though some of the humour made me laugh, it was like they were added just for the sake of it. Very MCU 101. I also didn't like transition of Mordo's story. That needed more development. But I love the film. Love the hospital fight scene, the NY mirror dimension fight scene, the multiverse tour at the start. I just love it. I love a good origin story for superheroes. I kinda wish MCU gave Hulk and Spider Man that treatment just like the Netflix heroes. Plus the visuals are wicked. Though Rachel's character is probably the weakest, her relationship with Strange lacked that emotional depth.

So 8 out of ten eyes of Agamotto for me!

Very good SFX, good actors, a lot of humour but the plot is weak. It is more a trailer of the Dr Strange than actual story. I find it one of the weaker MCU movies - although still good enough to see...

Just seen Doc Strange ,felt so short . Good movie ,enjoyed every minute . 8/10

Just seen this; I really enjoyed it. Strange is no Stark in the jerk department as many people keep saying so I have no doubt Stark will easily retain his Crown as dukee number 1.

The acting was great, the visual effects were phenomenal. I saw this in imax 3d; this is the best way to watch the film. Everything was largely on point although I felt Strangers story pre accident was a tad rushed.

All in all, a solid movie that Marvel and fans should be proud of.

8.5/10

Saw this last week on IMAX 3D, i thought it was great.

Cumberbatch does a fantastic performance as Stephen Strange, i really dont get the comparisions with Tony, Stephen is a smug ******* while Tony is a sarcastic narcissist, anyway Benedict was fantastic in the role, the rest of the cast was pretty strong as well, Tilda Swinton was delightful and Chiwetel had some really good scenes with Cumberbatch, Rachel Mcadams, while not having a strong presence, which is unfortunate, had nice chemistry with Benedict and she wasnt your typical damsel in distress that has to be saved 3 times in the movie, my one big dissapointment was Mads Mikkelsen, while he does a serviceable job, its really sad seeing a great actor like Mads get so little screentime, and ultimately getting used as just a puppet.

The visuals are incredible, mind-blowing i would say, it looked amazing in IMAX, almost on the level of 2001 space odyssey, and thanks to the creative aesthetic of the movie, we get some original action sequences, although i have to say some of the action scenes could've been better choreographed, and it has to be the most beautiful looking MCU movie so far.

Doctor Strange is a beautiful visual marvel (hehe) that while it threads some familar ground, it still manages to entertain and surprise the audience with some creative new action set pieces and solid performances by the cast with an specially great Benedict Cumberbatch.

8.5/10

Is this movie good for 11 and 12 year olds?

These kids liked Avengers 1, AOU and CW.

7/10

Cumberbatch was great and the VFX were out of this world, but the plot felt pretty same-old same-old, McAdams and Mikkelsen were both wasted imo, and some of the aesthetics were a little TOO comic booky. Still, I now wanna read Doctor Strange comics, and I've never said that before.

Agreed. But I don't think in a 2 hot movie, especially an origin one, there is time to develop both. That's why the Netflix series works better for villains like Kingpin or Purple Man so we can get backstory.

Anyway, where does this rate compared to Ant-man? Spectacle wise it looks better. I enjoyed Ant-man, as it was a nice break from the heaviness and continuity of the other movies. But it did drag a little.

Agreed. But I don't think in a 2 hot movie, especially an origin one, there is time to develop both. That's why the Netflix series works better for villains like Kingpin or Purple Man so we can get backstory.

Anyway, where does this rate compared to Ant-man? Spectacle wise it looks better. I enjoyed Ant-man, as it was a nice break from the heaviness and continuity of the other movies. But it did drag a little.

I'd rate them both pretty much about the same. With extra points for Doctor Strange because of the cooler visuals.

Just returned from the theater. jmc is pretty much on point in his review. Fully agree.

Only I would give it 8/10. One of better Marvel efforts for sure.

JMC, diggin' your Avvy, is that Desdemona from Gargoyles??
(And I know this ain't the place to discuss, but holy s**t who else badly wants a Gargoyles film??? lol)

8/10

Pure fun, amazing visuals, Benedict nails it as Strange and the Eye of Agammoto has a VERY good utilization of powers shown in the movie.

2 points taken for wasting the talents of Mads and McAdams.

Last edited:
I just saw it, not one of marvels best imo but still a good film. Cumberbatch plays Dr Strange really well and has great acting when hes serious but maybe he shouldnt do humor because alot of the humor scenes that involved him came out pretty flat most of the time. Nothings changed with marvels villains so expect the same type of villain that marvel gives us. The movie was ok but i was expecting better.

6.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"