WandaVision Spoilers!: Evan Peters

XtremelyBaneful

xoxxxoooxo
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how people feel about the fake Quicksilver role in WandaVision. I've seen reactions saying that it is fans' own fault for theorizing about the multiverse when Evan Peters showed up, but I think it can be argued that the studio baited the audience and led us (some of us) to believe this was a partial setup to the multiverse. So I can blame people looking forward to that, personally.

What do you think?

Shouldn't there be a spoiler warning on this thread both in the title and in the first post?

Not everyone will have watched either the latest episode so far or even the show, especially if they don't have Disney +. I think new viewers would like to have the surprise twists that others experienced and not to see these things highlighted for them before even watching. The whole poll even is a spoiler.

the moment i heard about it, i knew it would be a meta joke. i love how it turned out and i love that it has no lasting lasting consequnces. i would HATE to see any of the fox men return in any capacity.
honestly, im just baffled by how much people seem to care about it. especially after years and years of bashing the fox movies.

Shouldn't there be a spoiler warning on this thread both in the title and in the first post?

Not everyone will have watched either the latest episode so far or even the show, especially if they don't have Disney +. I think new viewers would like to have the surprise twists that others experienced and not to see these things highlighted for them before even watching. The whole poll even is a spoiler.
I was thinking about that and do consider folks who haven't been able to watch even the whole show yet for time constraints or don't have Disney+, but for those of us who have I really wanted to have this thread/discussion and made as minimal of a thread title as possible.

Looks like a moderator tagged it up so we should be okay

There should be a 3rd option of "I don't mind either way". I'm not disappointed but wouldn't say I'm satisfied either. I wouldn't have minded him being someone else than a random person, but it isn't a huge thing.

Definitely pleased. While I generally don't mind easter eggs and cameo teasers, the Evan Peters theorization was definitely a case of fanon metastasizing.

Casting Evan Peters in the fake Pietro role is actually a brilliant idea because if you just cast someone else in the role you automatically would’ve deduced definitively it was an imposter with no air of mystery dangling over your head as to who this character could be. I know that others will say they could’ve gotten ATJ back but the whole point of the role is that he isn’t supposed to look like MCU Quicksilver. He’s supposed to be a bit ‘off’ to Wanda and the viewer. Wanda is dubious as to whether he’s her real brother or not. Which parallels our own suspicion about whether this guy is the real Fox Quicksilver or not. So it’s actually perfectly meta.

Remember he’s supposed to be a Westview resident that Agatha ‘cast’ in the role. So getting ATJ back wouldn’t have worked in the context of the story they were telling. So you had to cast Peters in order to keep people guessing. Getting Peters to come over to seemingly reprise the same role he played in another universe raises the possibility the imposter was from the multiverse, and it keeps fans guessing. It augments the ambiguity of the true identity of this character, and asks more questions than if you were get an actor who hadn’t played the role before in the part.

Yeah it was basically another troll movie and perhaps Marvel shouldn’t have dragged the identity reveal for as long it did for a silly joke, but it was still funny and clever. Marvel isn’t bringing any of the Singer/Kinberg X-Men versions into their world. DP is only the exception, not the rule. It would be too early to bring Mutants into the fold and if that was really the guy from the Fox universe you would had to deal with name drops to mutants and the messy history. Which is baggage Marvel doesn’t want to deal with. Not only would the mere mention of mutants overshadow discussion about what the show really is about(dealing with loss, coping with trauma), but it would just open up expectations that Marvel will bring over the Fox-Mutants into the MCU, when they really intend to do a hard reboot of the property.

I can understand people who like that version of the Quicksilver being disappointed but I’m just thankful Peters got to be in the MCU even if he was playing the “fake” version of a character he played before. I actually think this was a better swan song for the role than Dark Phoenix even if here he wasn’t actually playing him.

Last edited:
Yeah it was basically another troll movie and perhaps Marvel shouldn’t have dragged the identity reveal for as long it did for a silly joke but it was still funny and clever. Marvel isn’t bringing any of the Singer/Kinberg X-Men versions into their world. DP is only the exception, not the rule. It would be too early to bring Mutants into the fold and if that was really the guy from the Fox universe you would had to deal with name drops to mutants and the messy history, and possibly a reference to Magneto. Which is baggage Marvel doesn’t want to deal with. Not only would the mere mention of mutants overshadow the

Did someone put a hex on you at the end to stop you finishing what you were about to say?

I never expected a merger of the Fox universe. While I figured he had some greater significance, being "Ralph" turned out to be that significance.

I thought he was the only actor who could have added an extra layer of mystery, not been Aaron Taylor Johnson (who would have suggested the possibility of resurrection of the character), and could persuade the audience that he could in fact be Pietro. Any other recast would have been unsuccessful if lampshaded. So I'm fine with it. It wasn't the strongest decision, but I think it was fine and worked well in the Halloween episode.

I can understand people who like that version of the Quicksilver being disappointed but I’m just thankful Peters got to be in the MCU even if he was playing the “fake” version of a character he played before. I actually think this was a better swan song for the role than Dark Phoenix even if here he wasn’t actually playing him.

Evan Peters got to wear a version of the classic Quicksilver costume with the comic accurate Quicksilver hair.

Now I wish various ignorant articles on the internet would stop trying to suggest it's a Wolverine nod instead. And then other ignorant people who've read that write their own version of the article and perpetuate that misconception. :wall:

the moment i heard about it, i knew it would be a meta joke. i love how it turned out and i love that it has no lasting lasting consequnces. i would HATE to see any of the fox men return in any capacity.
honestly, im just baffled by how much people seem to care about it. especially after years and years of bashing the fox movies.
how did you know it would be a joke from the beginning?

The X-Men movies have a pretty bad rep, but I think Chris Stuckmann explains it well enough that Evan Peters is a fan favorite of that series. this thread kinda shows that

Quicksilver vs. Quicksilver: Which version did you prefer the most?

Last edited:
I posted this elsewhere but probably more appropriate to this thread.

Generally, loved it.

And they were right to focus on Wanda and her story. In the finale there were tears in this household and in these eyes, seeing Wanda saying goodbye to Vision and her kids was really incredibly emotional.

And I loved the throw back to the Hulk movie at the end. That film is unfairly treated as a bit of a black sheep in the MCU but I actually think that is very harsh. That film added to the overall narrative (in giving us Hulk, albeit with a different actor).

A film that did not add to the overall narrative was Iron Man 3. And the reason for that was because it was a film that immediately followed New York with the main protagonist AND main scientist in Marvel, and they failed to build on that, at all. That was my main issue with the Mandarin troll. The Mandarin (or whoever) should've been the guy who harnessed the alien technology that had just fallen over New York.

And this is my issue with the Evan Peters troll. There is a bigger narrative that needs to be told about mutants and cross-overs, so we don't really have time to play silly games. I never for a second thought that the MCU would incorporate the dysfunctional timelines and poor character development from the Foxverse, but I did think they might have used some of the same actors who so many people identified the characters with. And Evan Peters was the actor who we identified with the most.

I speculated that now that Deadpool was officially part of the MCU, they might want to use some of the actors who appeared in the background in the Mansion. Sure it was a joke, and it was meta, and all of that, and it probably doesn't matter, but somehow it does...

This is supposed to be a connected universe. There is supposed to be some kind of thread that connects it all. Consistency. This is after all why so many people criticise the Hulk movie. Ironically the change of actor undermined the continuity (as did most of the rest of the characters disappearing). But fundamentally the essence of the Hulk character was carried over.

In some respects it was more consistent than other entries especially Iron Man 3. And here, with WandaVision, they missed an opportunity. And that's all it is at the moment. There's almost certainly time to set it right and to do so on their own terms. With the character development, with the correct timelines, with the meticulously curated cast that the MCU has done so well. But this is a missed opportunity.

Wanda is definitely not a mutant though

After Agatha made the comment about Pietro's body being "on another continent, and full of holes", it got me thinking...what DID happen to Pietro's body after Sokovia? I figured they took him back and buried him in America, but it sounds like he was laid to rest in Sokovia? I didn't think that would happen because the area was probably a mess after Ultron, but I guess not.

After Agatha made the comment about Pietro's body being "on another continent, and full of holes", it got me thinking...what DID happen to Pietro's body after Sokovia? I figured they took him back and buried him in America, but it sounds like he was laid to rest in Sokovia? I didn't think that would happen because the area was probably a mess after Ultron, but I guess not.

What if Pietro is buried under that cabin in the woods at the end?

Its not like it would have been especially hard for Wanda to get someone to take her back to the remnants of Sokovia to hold a small funeral.

Honestly I really liked it. It made us the viewers experience something we normally would not have.

In that episode Wanda is dealing with grief by bargaining. She wants her perfect sitcom life including Pietro back so badly that she's willing to accept the idea that he is, even though she and the rest of the world knows it's not him. It parallels nicely with our own take on it. We wanted him to be something so badly that even though we knew it wasn't her Pietro, and the show even told us it wasn't her Pietro, we as the audience even overlooked it and tried to force until we ultimately had to accept that he wasn't.

It also caused us to question that reality. The same way that everyone in or dealing with the hex was questioning reality.

This wasn't about trolling. It was about creating a different level of engagement.

Not disappointed that he turned out to be a random Westview citizen.

Disappointed that he was just used for an unfunny punchline which feels like such a slap in the face, and the fact that so many people brush this legitimate criticism aside baffles me. But I know that's a phenomenally unpopular opinion on here in which so many will try to say I'm overreacting, so I'll refrain from discussing it here.

Not disappointed that he turned out to be a random Westview citizen.

Disappointed that he was just used for an unfunny punchline which feels like such a slap in the face, and the fact that so many people brush this legitimate criticism aside baffles me. But I know that's a phenomenally unpopular opinion on here in which so many will try to say I'm overreacting, so I'll refrain from discussing it here.

This. Dicksilver was a lame as hell troll job to me. They could've just cast a different actor and accomplished the same thing narratively. No need to insult fans of that character/universe like that.

There should be a 3rd option of "I don't mind either way". I'm not disappointed but wouldn't say I'm satisfied either. I wouldn't have minded him being someone else than a random person, but it isn't a huge thing.
Eh, lately I've been trying to avoid a third option of that sort of sentiment since it's kind of a copout answer. If you didn't care then you might as well have been satisfied with what you got.
Definitely pleased. While I generally don't mind easter eggs and cameo teasers, the Evan Peters theorization was definitely a case of fanon metastasizing.
...I'd argue that the studio was counting on fans theorizing by casting an actor who portrayed the character in a different cinematic universe. I'll leave Chris Stuckmann's review here and timestamped too explaining why it made sense to believe that they were going for the multiverse by casting him:

I never expected a merger of the Fox universe. While I figured he had some greater significance, being "Ralph" turned out to be that significance.

I thought he was the only actor who could have added an extra layer of mystery, not been Aaron Taylor Johnson (who would have suggested the possibility of resurrection of the character), and could persuade the audience that he could in fact be Pietro. Any other recast would have been unsuccessful if lampshaded. So I'm fine with it. It wasn't the strongest decision, but I think it was fine and worked well in the Halloween episode.
The thing I don't get about this that there is a difference between the studio misleading the viewers vs. Agath misleading Wanda. When Bohner arrived at her door, she was only confused as to why her supposed brother has a different likeness, and Darcy echos that. We the audience on the other hand, are confused (at the time on episode 5's cliffhanger) as to why the same character from a different cinematic universe is in the MCU. With the previous fakeout in FFH and the upcoming MOM, and the character wearing the same jacket as he did in his Deadpool 2 cameo set this all up for a lot of fans to believe that the multiverse is really what the studio was teasing.

If the studio's only intention was to convey that the audience knows as much as the protagonist and mislead narratively as well as canonically, then they shouldn't/wouldn't have cast an actor who played the character he has been playing in a different franchise. We know about the Fox film universe, Wanda doesn't. If the studio just wanted us to wonder why Quicksilver looks different (and not think too deeply about the difference in actor choices), then they would have cast someone who has not yet been in any Marvel movie to be Bohner.
And this is my issue with the Evan Peters troll. There is a bigger narrative that needs to be told about mutants and cross-overs, so we don't really have time to play silly games. I never for a second thought that the MCU would incorporate the dysfunctional timelines and poor character development from the Foxverse, but I did think they might have used some of the same actors who so many people identified the characters with. And Evan Peters was the actor who we identified with the most.

Wanda is definitely not a mutant though
This is another thing that I feel like is being blown a little out of proportion. A lot of people find the X-Men movies to be unfavorable - I feel that way about almost all of them as well, however - if Marvel Studios really wanted to have Evan Peters play the character he has been playing for several movies so far and cross cinematic universe, I don't think that would also obligate the studio to fully involve all of the events in from that franchise in the MCU. They could have done what I and many others may have been hoping, and just used Evan's Peter Maximoff to quietly introduce the concept of the multiverse, delineating that he is indeed from a different Earth and needs to get back to where he belongs, that's it. Then at least one major MCU character just becomes aware that not only are there universes that are branched timelines of their own universe but also universes that are their own timelines completely independent from the events of their own history, to make for an ever expanding multiverse. Putting Evan Peters there as the real X-Men Quicksilver doesn't at all mean they have to use everything from the Fox films.

By the way, I agree with you about The Incredible Hulk. I think it is a pretty good movie and an underrated part of the MCU. It's a shame we never got another Hulk movie after that. Like, what is the deal with Universal? Literally

As for the whole Mandarin fakeout, one of the WandaVision directors said he got a random text complaining to him about Iron Man 3 and how the whole Bohner thing is such a horrible example of repeating that mistake, and he responded by saying that the fakeout was his favorite part of that movie. He also said that for those disappointed that there was no multiverse involvement in WandaVision, that it is coming soon. I don't know if he meant that there is more to come with Evan Peters' character and that he will be revealed to be Quicksilver after all, or if he just means there will be real multiverse stuff in the MCU eventually with the other movies/shows. I timestamped his interview here:

Speaking of Agatha, I kinda wanna believe that Bohner is the missing person in Jimmy's WPP. Following up to what I was saying to @NeverReadComics , maybe we haven't seen the last of Evan Peters in the MCU. Are we absolutely sure that the necklace she made him wear is what gave him superspeed? Also, when Wanda created the Hex, all of the corporeal existence was warped by her, so couldn't it be that the water bill and the actor headshot was also something warped by the Hex?
Its not like it would have been especially hard for Wanda to get someone to take her back to the remnants of Sokovia to hold a small funeral.
Not only this but a funeral like that would be a significant part of Wanda's life so there should be a scene filmed for it if it actually happened, not just talked about
Honestly I really liked it. It made us the viewers experience something we normally would not have.

In that episode Wanda is dealing with grief by bargaining. She wants her perfect sitcom life including Pietro back so badly that she's willing to accept the idea that he is, even though she and the rest of the world knows it's not him. It parallels nicely with our own take on it. We wanted him to be something so badly that even though we knew it wasn't her Pietro, and the show even told us it wasn't her Pietro, we as the audience even overlooked it and tried to force until we ultimately had to accept that he wasn't.

It also caused us to question that reality. The same way that everyone in or dealing with the hex was questioning reality.

This wasn't about trolling. It was about creating a different level of engagement.
Not really. As I was explaining to @Mike Murdock , our take (or at least mine) is that we are being presented by MCU's peace on earth getting disrupted by the multiverse of madness, and Evan Peters as Quicksilver showing up to her doorstep is evidence of that. That's what I was thinking, but the only thing Wanda/Darcy was thinking was "why does Pietro look different?" That's. It. The concept of multiverse was never brought up or even thought of by anyone, in or out of the Hex.

Marvel Studios was definitely aware of this and they wanted this to happen. They baited the FoX-men fanbase into believing they were bringing a multiverse element into WandaVision. "Trolling" is a colloquial term we all use on the internet and know what it means, I dunno if there is a more eloquent word to describe what they were doing, but that is what they were doing.
This. Dicksilver was a lame as hell troll job to me. They could've just cast a different actor and accomplished the same thing narratively. No need to insult fans of that character/universe like that.
Lol, Dicksilver. That's a good one. But yes, I agree. If all they wanted to do was put Wanda through a dilemma of confusion, they would have cast someone new.

I'm not too disappointed. Thought it was a clever ruse. But I think "HATE to see any fox-men return in any capacity" is a bit harsh.

Ryan Reynolds minimum needs to return. Which makes me feel comfortable seeing a similarly handled Colossus return. I also really liked their take on Domino.

I also really wouldnt mind seeing this Multiverse action happen. Seeing Tobey/Andrew Garfield spidey's, Foxx Electro, Molina Ock, etc... All these things are pretty exciting to me in concept.

However, one must then take the good with the bad. Does that mean they dont recast Ock/Electro? Or for that matter Gobby? Also, they really need to recast Cyclops, Jean, and Beast. That would be for the best. And LAWD knows we dont need to see anyone from the Fantastic Four movies return.

My feelings are officially mixed.

I'm not too disappointed. Thought it was a clever ruse. But I think "HATE to see any fox-men return in any capacity" is a bit harsh.

Ryan Reynolds minimum needs to return. Which makes me feel comfortable seeing a similarly handled Colossus return. I also really liked their take on Domino.

I also really wouldnt mind seeing this Multiverse action happen. Seeing Tobey/Andrew Garfield spidey's, Foxx Electro, Molina Ock, etc... All these things are pretty exciting to me in concept.

However, one must then take the good with the bad. Does that mean they dont recast Ock/Electro? Or for that matter Gobby? Also, they really need to recast Cyclops, Jean, and Beast. That would be for the best. And LAWD knows we dont need to see anyone from the Fantastic Four movies return.

My feelings are officially mixed.

The Deadpool Colossus is a good design so they should adapt that and improve upon that. But they don't need to cast the same actor in the role. It's not like you can even see the actor anyway. As long as it's not a Daniel Cudmore Colossus design.

I'm not even too mad about it now because it was clever and if it was any other actor playing "Fietro" we, as an audience would not have believed it to be Pietro or understand why Wanda thinks it is.

I'm curious if they would have been able to use Peters if they didn't buy Fox though or if the deal wasn't completed yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"