SPOILERS FAN reviews SPOILERS do NOT enter if you don't want to be spoiled!

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange' started by Vartha, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Just for when we DO start getting reviews in

2. scarlet-witch Stormborn

3. Henshin Registered

Bloke on Reddit posted that he had seen the movie:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/57hnkr/doctor_strange_post_credits_scenes_revealed/

4. TheCardPlayer Come play with me

5. Strangefan Registered

I have not seen the movie, and I have not seen the 15 minute IMAX release, but from what I hear people posting about the IMAX leads me to believe the trippiness is not a "set piece" but all enveloping.

Even if he has seen it, it is his right not to like it. The lack of specifics makes me lean towards not really believing him. Which of course leads me to wonder what it is about people who just have to tear something down before it even has a chance to be seen. People must really want their 15 seconds of internet fame. Moving on.

6. doink 'nuff said

So that redditor seems to actually be BoxOfficeZ from the boxofficetheory forums...I saw him post a similar review there tonight. I remember he claimed to have seen SW:TFA and BvS early screenings but got a bunch of things wrong in his "early reviews".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. Henshin Registered

The guy posted his ticket/email proof on Reddit

8. regnak Registered

Yeah, so 1 poster on a another board didn't like it, big deal. Lets see what the reviews are before getting concerned, not that this is a movie that reviews would stop me from seeing.

9. Henshin Registered

French film critics saw the movie today, their reviews go up Sunday but they aren't embargoed on tweets/social media. Some translations of the reactions so far, I'll edit more to the list as I see them:
    "DS is killing it visually, the script is smart and the actors are excellent."
    "His story is very conventional, Doctor Strange makes up for it with a crazy 3rd act. Scott Derrickson knows how to film a fight"
    "Doctor Strange is one of the most difficult comics to adapt for a wide audience. IMHO Marvel made the right choices to achieve this."
    "DS is visually breathtaking and Cumberbatch portrays his character perfectly"
    "Now people will be happy to go see the Doctor"
    "DS is as baffling as it is pleasurable! A real hypnotising show"
    "Benedict Cumberbatch was born to play this role which he portrays perfectly!"
    "The most visually impressive Marvel film"
    "DS is a solid entertainment led by Benedict who was made for this role."
    "Visually fabulous, Doctor Strange brings into the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a great new dimension!"
    "Visually it's incredible, 1,000 ideas on the screen. However the story is predictable"
    "Scott Derrickson transcends the spirit of the comics and delivers a haunting and original filmmakers experience"
    "Lots of love for Doctor Strange. Marvel is on top of their game."
    "I just watched Doctor Strange, I am a DC fan but I must confess to having loved it"
    "Basically, Dr Strange has humour, crazy FX and charismatic and endearing characters"
    "Colorful, inventive & fun Doctor Strange brings a true breath of fresh air 2 the Marvel universe. Special mention to the action scenes"
    "Doctor Strange is a success, and for once we finally got beautiful 3D! Marvel found the recipe..."
    "The typical Marvel formula to the best of its form. Conventional story, excellent characters, visually stunning. See on the BIG screen"
    "Successful movie for Doctor Strange despite the constraints imposed by an origin story! Benedict Cumberbatch is impressive and bewitches us!"
    "Despite narrative flaws Doctor Strange rectifies the start of phase 3 of the MCU after the dull Civil War"

#9 Henshin, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  10. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

"same Marvel score" convinces me reddit dude is full o' s***
    after hearing that score yesterday, it is nowehere in the ballpark of anything Marvel's done before

also what does the "hulk/loki/groot/sakaarans" quote mean? A super strong guy easily beating someone else down, played for humor? If so, who in this movie could so easily beat someone up??

idk, smells fishy, and there are ways he could easily fake a ticket

but hey, the french reactions are pretty sweet...

11. Kingdork Registered

He must be referring to
    the Cloak of Levitation beating one of the Zealot senseless. It plays a lot like that Groot scene

As for the film, a solid 7.5 for me. The predictable, serviceable plot made it short of an 8, but overall I think I like this movie more than Civil War. I think the second part of the third act is a bit of a clunker (especially when dealing with the big bad), and the beginning is somewhat rushed (you barely get to know Strange) but the movie is so refreshingly inventive with its set pieces and visuals that it makes up for whatever narrative flaws it might have. It's endearing and fun throughout, the characters and the twists they made from the source material are really good (the way they deal with Mordo is very clever). The humour works and they don't go overboard with it, EXCEPT for one lame running gag that goes a bit too far regarding Strange and Wong. I was also afraid Strange would be too much like Stark and he isn't really. There are similarities but he's his own character. Anyway, I had a blast and I can't wait to see it again.

12. AlluAllu Registered

I thought so too, but Can you dig it in Iron Man 3 end credits was much more "fun" than anything in the proper movie. Despite being the actual main theme underneath. Perhaps Strange is a similar case?

And his main critique is that the plot is formulaic, except for the 3rd act. Coincidentally, twitter reactions are mostly about the effects. I believe him.

13. Blitzkrieg Registered

So how was Mikkelsen as Kaecilius?

14. Kingdork Registered

He was a good villain. Nothing great or memorable but good nonetheless. He serves his purpose and he works. His motivation and plan make sense from his point of view and that pretty much it. We don't get much more (his backstory is told but not shown). But he's charismatic enough and fun at time (the way he commits to the Mister Doctor bit is hilarious) and it's more than enough IMO.

15. Blitzkrieg Registered

Thanks for the info. :up:

16. Wolfgangamadeus Registered

Does it really too much on the VFX and visual trickery to make it interesting or does the narrative provide some inventive stuff?

17. Kingdork Registered

It is pretty much your typical origin story 101, but it doesn't feel boring like a been-there-done-that kind of thing. What make it refreshing are the characters that are enjoyable to follow, the universe on display which is thrilling to discover and of course the visual effects and the various set-pieces. It leaves you wanting more of Strange and his side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. IMO the only thing interesting and subtle from a story standpoint was in the way they handled Mordo and his "change". But most of the clever ideas are from the set-pieces and other visuel effects bits. And that's a real treat honestly.

18. Wolfgangamadeus Registered

Oh ok fantastic! Thanks a lot! Would say it's more on the serious side or the comedic side?

19. Kingdork Registered

A good balance between the two I'd say. The movie has a good sense of humour throughout and it works with the exception of one cringe worthy extended joke. There are some serious dramatic moments, but even the resolution tends to be on the light-hearted side of thing, BUT it makes sense because of what Strange does.

But overall it's no IM3 or T:TDW where they tend to go overboard. It's even bellow Guardians.

20. NotNickFury Registered

So he's like most of the MCU's movie villains, sounds like.

21. Kingdork Registered

Yeah basically. Aside from Hammer, Whiplash and Malekith, I think Marvel villains have been good. This "weak villain" thing is blown out of proportion.

22. NotNickFury Registered

I'd put Ronan on that short list as well.

But I don't think the issue is that they're weak. Obviously, power-wise, they aren't. But I think a huge problem is that there's next to nothing memorable about them. Sure, that's not Marvel exclusive, but for all of the MCU's strengths and its memorable heroes, the one thing people point to as a flaw is that the villains aren't noteworthy or worth remembering outside of Loki, who seems to be one of, if not THE example some go to of a memorable villain in this universe.

#22 NotNickFury, Oct 19, 2016
  23. divan Registered

I'm satisfied it's not just another Malekith.

24. Wolfgangamadeus Registered

Oh ok! Phew that's a relief. I think the extended joke you're talking about is the "Doctor Strange" bit in every spot? :o

25. Kingdork Registered

Personally I liked Ronan. He was just evil and hammy and there was a pulpy sensibility about him that I dug. But I get the not memorable villain thing.

I think that after watching CA:CW and Doctor Strange, Marvel is setting up well-rounded and interesting villains the same way they did with Loki in the first Thor and let him expand after that. I think that is the case with Zemo. And they left Mordo in a very interesting place at the end of the film. I think now they're playing villains for the long run and it's a smart move.

NO. It is WAY worse than that ^^

But most jokes that were kinda meh in trailers really works in the context of the film. Like the wifi password. Works well in context. Same for that bit where the Cloak is touching Strange face and he tells it to stop
    (he's actually wiping's Strange tears and it's a sweet moment)

#25 Kingdork, Oct 19, 2016