*spoilers* FF #537 : DOOM & THE HAMMER

Malus

Sidekick
Reaction score
* SPOILER SPACE
I couldn't stand it; I called a friend in Atlanta who owns a comics shop.
I knew he would have received a "first look" copy yesterday.
* Additional spoiler space...Don't want anybody ticked at me. ;)
Okay...

No, Doom can't lift it.

Neither can Ben.

But we do see Don Blake "getting on a train" (?) near the conclusion.

My friend's store sounded busy, so I didn't ask any other details. He did, however, have this to say about the cover:
"That scene is not in the comic in any way."

Great. Now Marvel has resorted to flat-out misrepresentation on their covers. The generic covers have been bad enough, but now this makes two issues in a row with very intriguing cover images that are not in the book. I think that rather sucks.

Yeah, I remember when DC used to be the main culprit at using those misleading covers :(

I am not surprised at the stuff about the Hammer but at least Doom is finally back. And now Thor too, apparently.

Iron Maiden said:
Yeah, I remember when DC used to be the main culprit at using those misleading covers :(

But at least DC's fake covers were goofy fun. Marvel presented a serious dramatic scene that redefined two characters.

Malus said:
No, Doom can't lift it.

Neither can Ben.

Okay. For the moment, I'm good. Granted the fake covers are a bad sign, but for now, we'll see what else happens.

Although, once again, Doom should know he can't lift the hammer based on his attempt and failure to do so in Thor #183.

Hmm, Quesada said at CBR or Newsarama that while many people e-mailed him liking the cover, many were also angry that it spoiled the story.

Ravin' Ray said:
Hmm, Quesada said at CBR or Newsarama that while many people e-mailed him liking the cover, many were also angry that it spoiled the story.

...and now they can be angry that it was a big, fat lie.
(Kinda like his claim that two of the FF will die in that one-shot next month.)
The "House of Ideas" has become the House of Dishonest Hype.

Malus said:
* SPOILER SPACE
I couldn't stand it; I called a friend in Atlanta who owns a comics shop.
I knew he would have received a "first look" copy yesterday.
* Additional spoiler space...Don't want anybody ticked at me. ;)
Okay...

No, Doom can't lift it.

Neither can Ben.

But we do see Don Blake "getting on a train" (?) near the conclusion.

My friend's store sounded busy, so I didn't ask any other details. He did, however, have this to say about the cover:
"That scene is not in the comic in any way."

Great. Now Marvel has resorted to flat-out misrepresentation on their covers. The generic covers have been bad enough, but now this makes two issues in a row with very intriguing cover images that are not in the book. I think that rather sucks.

As much as misrepersentative covers might annoy me, something like Doom picking up the hammoer would bother me a lot more. Plus knowing that Don Blake is around and will hopefully pick up the hammer and become Thor-makes me very, very happy!

Dragon said:
Although, once again, Doom should know he can't lift the hammer based on his attempt and failure to do so in Thor #183.

He's stubborn like that. ;)

^Or maybe he just thought that since all of the Norse gods are now dead, the enchantment of Mjolnir had disappeared as well. :o

TheSumOfGod said:
^Or maybe he just thought that since all of the Norse gods are now dead, the enchantment of Mjolnir had disappeared as well. :o

Or maybe he caught an advance look at the cover of #537 and just assumed he could lift it.
Probably didn't cross his mind that it could be a lie.

Once upon a time, cover images like this would be accompanied by blurbs like: "Not a hoax! Not a dream! Not an imaginary story!"
These days they'd have to add "Not a big, stinking lie!"

That'd probably cut into sales, though.

TheSumOfGod said:

But then, if the enchantment disappeared, then Mjolnir would have no value to him.

Excellent issue. (cover lies, regardless)

Apparently, when the Asgardians "died", Doom felt their power as "Ragnarok tore through Hell itself" (where Doom was enjoying a lengthy stay)..he even felt the "power of Thor", and thought that would be enough for him to wield Mjolner.

Heck, i don't blame him for trying one bit.

Best of all; Thor will soon be back in the Marvel U, kicking ass and taking names.

CaptainStacy said:

Apparently, when the Asgardians "died", Doom felt their power as "Ragnarok tore through Hell itself" (where Doom was enjoying a lengthy stay)..he even felt the "power of Thor", and thought that would be enough for him to wield Mjolner.

Best of all; Thor will soon be back in the Marvel U, kicking ass and taking names.

Hells yeah.

Well, I guess we could consider the cover image to be a depiction of Doom's delusions, of what he was hoping would happen in this issue.
Still pretty lame, though. And such a nice cover.

I could have accepted Doom's being grazed by the hammer as it pierced the boundries of Hell as a sufficient "loophole" to enable him to temporarily wield the hammer. Passing through Hell momentarily could have "short-circuited" the enchantment perhaps, allowing an unworthy individual to wield it. At any rate, a Thor-powered Doom would have been really interesting for a few issues...
No one would be have been able to stand against him...until frail Don Blake walked up and took it from him...

I wasn't exactly blown away by the full-page panel of Ben & Doom duking it out. Was anyone? Looked a bit stiff to me.:(

CaptainStacy said:

Agreed. I can't believe Straczynski pulled it off. Nice moment when Doom fails.
It'll be good to see Don Blake back.

I thought this was a good issue till the end.

There was alot of build up then...meh.

Doom's escape from hell was real cool.:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"