Spoilers: Five Years

Discussion in 'Avengers: Endgame' started by PunyGod, Jul 28, 2019.

1. PunyGod

PunyGod Astronomer

This needs to be talked about. FFH laughs off the "blip" by just saying they have to redo the school year and it’s weird that your younger brother is now older than you. Really? Is that all the consequences we are going to get from this event?

What about all the people who got remarried and now their previous spouse shows up? Does everyone who comes back just automatically get their bank account and property given back to them? What happened when half our government disappeared? What happened to the countless planets who know nothing about Thanos? Half their population disappears without any explanation and then shows up five years later. How does that affect their society and belief system? Did other people who lost their family go off the rails like Hawkeye? And are they now absolved? Surely thousands of people died in the general chaos afterwards and they aren’t going to get snapped back.

Are we really supposed to believe that Hulk snaps everybody back and everything is just back to normal?

And before anyone says it’s just a comic book movie and not to take it too seriously, this movie was meant to be taken seriously. If they didn’t want to deal with these issues then why did they have this time gap in the first place. They could have just as easily written the story to reset everything to the moment of the snap like I was expecting them too.

And what a colossal waste of an opportunity to not have a single story in this entire "cinematic universe" take place in this five year gap. Not even a tie-in comic. How cool would it have been to have a Disney+ series that deals with this.

Abudefduf likes this.
  2. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

I completely agree with you but it is what it is. The universe was a total disaster for five years but apparently all it took to fix it was bringing back the snapped people.

Millions of people are still dead and billions of people have had their lives irredeemably changed but apparently it's no big deal. It's fine. Everything is fine.

#2 Abudefduf, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    THORin likes this.
  3. Mjolnir Reborn

Mjolnir Reborn Blunt Instrument

It certainly wasn't addressed much but there was clear mentions in FFH about things like people losing their homes while being blipped, and so on, so it's wrong to say that it only mentioned the redone school year and sibling ages.

Smurphftw and Xeno like this.
  4. NewYorkSpider

NewYorkSpider EndGame

I have a feeling more of this will be addressed in future movies. Falcon and Winter Soldier could show the Government side of things, while Captain Marvel 2(if it's set in the future) could show what's been happening on the cosmic side of things.

5. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

Other than some lines here and there, what else are you guys expecting? A full 2 hour movie of Bob the janitor trying to re-establish his credit?

Smurphftw likes this.
  6. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

For me... This is why there should have been a total redo. Yes... There are bigger real world forces as to why that could not be so. Evans and RDJ were leaving, they wanted big impact for this capper of a decade of films etc., etc.

However there are some HUGE issues or at least there reasonably should be. Okay, yeah we don't need a two hour movie about Bob the janitor. Of course that's not happening. And no one was asking for that. But the event, events really, both the snap and the snap back, fallout should be so far reaching that it just feels for many very flippant to just pretty much ignore the ramifications which would have incredible across the board impact on literally everything in the world our super hero protagonists inhabit. No one is asking for stories about all the nameless background characters of the MCU but even then... all that would add up to a radically different world than our own.

(And yeah, I'll just bring this up... In MOS people were apoplectic about all the fictional casualties in that movie. Why? I don't know now, given how suddenly many are giving what the obvious negative impacts even doing a good thing like defeating Thanos would do are being hand waved away. Apparently there is a time and a place to have moral objections to a story.

MOS: "Oh my God! All the (fake) people that died! I'm outraged!"

MCU post AEG: "Why do you care about all those billions of nameless civilians on Earth and what probably happened once the Earth suddenly got half its population back even though not only would the initial decimation unleash apocalyptic forces like war and famine which wouldn't have died down five years later but suddenly returning all those people would usher in even more material issues leading to yet more strife... but who cares about them? It's just a movie.")

And I know that there is an argument that the comic book story's original ending is "cheap" because it all goes back to the status quo. Thing is... that is pretty much what we have in the MCU anyway. Sure, Cap is retired and off in another reality. Tony is dead and other big changes. At the same time it is readily easy to see the first post Endgame movie and think, "Despite it all the world hasn't changed even though it should have." Only 8 months later and pretty much things are back to normal to the point parents are like "I guess a weeks long trip to Europe with only two chaperones is cool beans? " With no indication that the battle the Avengers fought has meant anything to anyone other than, again, a joke YouTube like tribute at the start of the movie. And then what ramifications of the event are played for laughs. Is there comedy that can be mined from such an outrageous event in a fictional super hero story? Yes, of course. It's a big and over the top thing primed for some humorous takes because of how bat guano insane it is. At the same time AEG goes to GREAT lengths to not just be a joke fest. The one-two punch of IWand AEG wants the audience emotionally involved and the scripts takes pains to try and put weight and reasonable, if fantasy based, justification behind a lot. Is it a surprise then that there are people who might actually admire and love both movies (like myself) who are also disappointed with the first film post the SnapBack treating everything except Tony's death, all the rational fallout... as fodder for jokes and never dealt with in any depth at all? In my view that might be a worse decision than having a reverse it all via gauntlet return to the status quo. It's just as "cheap".

Now there may have been no other way, to quote a magician. As stated the choice of what was done with Cap and Tony and Tasha was dramatic in its seeming finality. That was a change and it's probably more dramatically sound than just having those characters simply y off camera somewhere until a recast happens. RDJ's death scene was ****ing masterful, with him not even saying a word. And I get that people don't go to these films for some kind of real world dissertations about the impact of radical population shifts. So this played out probably mostly as it was going to in most ways. Still, from the start I was one that wanted a total reversal and no time skip because what I thought has so far turned out to be true. The events of IW/AEG are so impactful to this fictional world, but I had no faith Marvel Studios would follow through on what that would all mean, and given FFH... I was right.

MrWayne and Abudefduf like this.
  7. Fosterson

Fosterson Registered

One thing I have wondered is: what happened to the people who got dusted on board planes and other aircraft?

If the people who got restored to life came back in the exact same spot that they died in (which seems to be the case given that Spidey, Strange and the Guardians were all revived on Titan), then that would potentially mean that millions of people all over the world would come back to life at 30,000 feet without a parachute and plunge to a horrible death.

8. Hannibal75

Hannibal75 Registered

They said Hulk wished for them to come back on safe ground.

9. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Registered

This is a silly thread. Of course the after effects of the blip are only going to be part of comic relief or an aside.

According to the MCU, we have only been privy to less than 10 Avengers adventures and we have now lost 4 or more major players. That means that we won't see these heroes participate in adaptations of hundreds of comic stories written over the decades.

That having been said, I think handling some of this stuff in a Disney+ series would be a great idea.

10. PunyGod

PunyGod Astronomer

The dumbest part of all this is that the writers said it was Feige's insistence that they jump 5 years so that there would be Real Consequences to what happened.

And then they never deal with a single one of those consequences. They can't have it both ways.

In the commentary they specifically raise the questions about people who were in planes and people who got re-married. But they never suggest any answers.

I sincerely doubt we are ever going to get more than passing references to "The Blip" just like we got with "The Incident."

SPO2 Dalisay likes this.
  11. Zarex

Zarex Registered

I have long thought a one year jump would have been preferable because, while it still would have been devastating, things could mostly go back as they were after the de-dusting. A five year jump means it impacts every aspect of your connected universe going forward - which I absolutely don't want- or you mostly hand wave away the impact - which I also don't want.

With a one year dusting you still get Lebowski Thor and Smart Hulk and Cassie played by the original actress. The only major change would be baby Morgan. That's big, but I think it would have been worth the shorter jump.

12. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Registered

They did the bigger jump so they could do the Spider-Man sequel leisurely since it doesn't happen in real time for 3-5 years.

13. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Explain? I don't get your meaning at all.

14. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Registered

If IW/beginning of EG took place in 2018/19 before the time jump, most of EG takes place in 2023/4. Therefore, so does FFH.

Marvel can now wait until the real world calendar catches up to FFH's time frame to do its sequel. Phase 4 is full of movies that don't piggyback off of EG. I'm guessing the movies that will piggyback will start in Phase 5/6.

The problem with this is that Tom Holland will age over this stretch making him being in another high school movie all the more ridiculous.

15. CyclopsSummers

CyclopsSummers Registered

Post Endgame, it remains Hulk Clint Thor Wanda Rhody Sam Spidey Antman Carol + Strange Tchalla and Guardians

Clint, Thor, Sam, Wanda and Strange will be in Phase 4 (we 'll see if they are always abengers members)
    I hope Hulk and Rhody will be in Phase 5. Spidey and Danvers will be for sure