Homecoming **SPOILERS*** What issues did you have with the film?

BH/HHH

You Are My World
Reaction score
I couldn't see a thread for this but if there us one just merge please.

I'm sure most of us enjoyed Spider-Man Homecoming but that doesn't mean there weren't any issues.

What issues did you have?

Mine:

- the actress who played Liz was terrible
- the main fight on the Plane was hard to make out
- the music choices seemed off at times and the film lacked a true epic theme
- There were a few what I can only describe as indie moments in the film that I really didn't like like after Stark took away his suit and we saw him in High School. I thought tonally they seemed off in the film and could have been done better.

I thought the last 5 mins were dumb

Everything at Avengers HQ kinda undercut the ending of Civil War to me.
On that note I wish we could've gotten Stark emotionally dealing with the fallout of Civil War. I know he's on in there briefly but they could've done it

The way they handled Aunt May finding out was really dumb yo me too

And I agree about the plane fight

It was a good movie though

Adults can't just walk into a highschool unchecked. Especially with what would be perceived as a weapon. Plus they had guns on them. A expensive private school at that.

The chance meeting with Peter & Liz for the asking her out to the dance was pretty cringey. (She was good in all the other scenes)

Didn't like when Karen got a little to creepy with the minor

I wanted actually less Spider-Man and more High School... I really liked the Peter Parker stuff more (which is wild I've never liked a civilian more than his super hero before)

Not enough Aunt Bae

Other than those minor issues it was perfect to me

- I don't think I'll ever get over Spider-Man having a high-tech suit. It's just wrong.
- Same about him being completely CGI in most scenes.
- "My friends call me MJ" (even though I liked the character)
- The action scenes were confusing and hard to follow, especially the final one.
- The forgettable score.

- As others have said, plane fight was Transformers-level hard to make out.
- Hi-tech Spidey suit takes getting used to (too powerful?)
- No uncle ben flashbacks/thoughts? No great-power line? (c'mon)
- oh right, tony stark is the "uncle ben" of this movie -.-
- Zendayata as MJ? =.=
- end credits lame and unfunny. the marvel post credits scenes have degraded in quality and hype value

(overall good movie tho)

- The "selfie" montage at the beginning with Peter really really did not work for me. Very cringey.

- Changing the appearance and character of most of the supporting cast, to the point that some are just the characters INO (in name only) like Mary Jane.

- The orchestral version of the classic Spider-Man theme totally failed for me. Giacchino, who I'm a huge fan of, only impressed me once or twice on this one. I really miss the Elfman theme

-Needed more Iron Man, an action scene at least. You have Vulture and you don't have a battle in the sky. Could've just had Tony control a suit via remote control so it isn't him that's necessarily being defeated.

- maybe more web swinging but it made sense and I kinda liked it.

1. What the hell happened to the spider sense? It was literally non-existent and this was carried on from Civil War, in which I also noticed its absence.

2. The character who was revealed the writers own "MJ"; her purpose in the film was...what exactly? She added nothing to the film. I feel like the writers included her just so that trendy hipster millennials could have someone to identify with.

3. Plane fight wasn't headache-inducing in the least but it was hard to follow at times.

The supporting cast of kids. Disliked them all. But really hated Ned and Michelle. Ned was beyond irritating and Michelle was pointless she adds nothing to the film, neither of them were funny.

No Spidey sense

Shocker not in full costume with the mask

Final battle with the plane was dark, hard to follow

The Bueller homage was cringey

The gag about May being hot is a little overdone, especially with the creepy waiter. Again cringey

Last edited:
I love the suit. He came up with the original and web shooters/fluid so it's fine with me. I like most of the upgrades. They could've pulled it back a bit though. I like Karen and I think that could be great going forward (I imagine Peter building on the suit and tuning it to his liking, getting a down-with-it karen to feed him incident updates and such). I could've done without the drone but it's a small mark on an amazing film.

Michelle was pointless she adds nothing to the film, neither of them were funny.

I was about to say the same thing. I have no problem with MJ not being white, but Michelle is a bland character who like you said, adds nothing to the film. Why she's on the poster at all (even though the poster has many other issues) bewilders me.

High tech suit used far too much, and generally only for comedic effect. One of the great things about Spidey is he relies on his intelligence and wit. The high tech suit removes this somewhat.

MJ reveal was an awful and un-needed Aha! moment.

Too much Avengers stuff woven in.

Not enough use of the brilliant, classic Spider-man theme rendition from the opening.

"My friends call me MJ" was completely pointless and unnecessary. Especially when one second later Ned points out that she doesn't have any friends.

The film meanders at times, mostly because of the comedy scenes. They were hilarious, don't get me wrong, but a lot of them could be removed from the plot without really altering anything.

The fight choreography is lacking at times. One of the areas I thought the Raimi movies definitely won out was in the brutality of the fight scenes, something that I never really felt in any of the Vulture vs. Spider-Man fights. Compare the last fight with Vulture to the train battle in Spider-Man 2 or even the ending battle with Green Goblin in the first movie.

-The suit really bothered me. I wanted Peter to tinker with his own homemade suit at the end. Him just getting back the Stark suit was a negative in my book since the whole Karen inclusion felt very Iron Man like.
-No Uncle Ben mention (though I can live with this if they bring him in sometime in the future)
-A lack of emotional gravitas. I get that they were going for a lighter tone, but I would have liked it if the movie had more heft.
-Awkward action sequences.

Yeah, what Peter wears right now is basically an Iron Spider suit made to look like his classic costume.

The suit is waaaaay too high-tech for my tastes. Can't say I'm particularly interested in Spider-Man being made into Iron Man Lite, where he spends the movie talking to an AI.

The choreography of the action sequences left a lot to be desired, and the combination of the editing and nighttime setting made it very difficult to tell what was going on at times. The airplane fight was a hyperactive mess of lights and sounds. Horrible sequence.

That's really it. Didn't have too many complaints walking out of the theater. I just hope Watts gets a better grip on action scenes the next go-around. In terms of spectacle, this film pales in comparison to the Raimi films. That man knew how to frame an action scene.

I was about to say the same thing. I have no problem with MJ not being white, but Michelle is a bland character who like you said, adds nothing to the film. Why she's on the poster at all (even though the poster has many other issues) bewilders me.

Every scene she was in literally just felt like she was thrown in there randomly to make some "funny" remark and each time, it wasn't funny. Very useless.

The suit is waaaaay too high-tech for my tastes. Can't say I'm particularly interested in Spider-Man being made into Iron Man Lite, where he spends the movie talking to an AI.

The choreography of the action sequences left a lot to be desired, and the combination of the editing and nighttime setting made it very difficult to tell what was going on at times. The airplane fight was a hyperactive mess of lights and sounds. Horrible sequence.

That's really it. Didn't have too many complaints walking out of the theater. I just hope Watts gets a better grip on action scenes the next go-around. In terms of spectacle, this film pales in comparison to the Raimi films. That man knew how to frame an action scene.

Agreed on the action, the Ferry sequence is nowhere near as good as the train sequence in SM2. And we didn't really get to see Spidey fight Vulture, I wanted to see something awesome like we did with spidey vs Ock in SM2.

Last edited:
Every scene she was in literally just felt like she was thrown in there randomly to make some "funny" remark and each time, it wasn't funny. Very useless.

I was expecting her to undergo some sort of "makeover" for the homecoming dance and Peter to notice her in a different light to open the door for her being a potential love interest in the sequel, but nope, she was still frumpy looking. I guess in a way that made the movie less predictable but she still had no impact on the overall narrative.

Hate, hate, hate, hate the idea that Michelle is MJ. I already hated the idea that Zendaya was playing Mary-Jane -- this is 1000x worse. Reminded me of the end of TDKR where Joseph Gordon Levitt's character is revealed as having the first name Robin. Ugh, just cringe inducingly awful.

Thought they went overboard with the Stark Spidey Suit. Frankly, I thought there was borderline too much Stark in the movie in general. I hate the idea that Spider-Man has become the Robin to Stark's Batman... It was still very much his story but... Yeah, less Stark.

The movie gains something from being part of the MCU, but I'm not gonna lie, there were certain parts of it that almost felt lesser because of it. It was a quirky cog in a larger machine instead of an epic, iconic Spider-Man film.

Overall I still really liked it, but these things bugged me.

I was expecting her to undergo some sort of "makeover" for the homecoming dance and Peter to notice her in a different light to open the door for her being a potential love interest in the sequel, but nope, she was still frumpy looking. I guess in a way that made the movie less predictable but she still had no impact on the overall narrative.

Frumpy/dirty looking, squinting/eyes half closed, and randomly giving Peter the finger. Not funny, pointless.

Agreed on the action, the Ferry sequence is nowhere near as good as the train sequence in SM2. And we didn't really get to see Spidey fight Vulture, I wanted to see something awesome like we did with spidey vs Ock in SM2.

It's funny, it's been 13 years and 4 Spidey films later and Spider-Man vs Doc Ock in SM-2 is still the gold standard. None of the movies since then have come close IMO.

Hate, hate, hate, hate the idea that Michelle is MJ. I already hated the idea that Zendaya was playing Mary-Jane -- this is 1000x worse. Reminded me of the end of TDKR where Joseph Gordon Levitt's character is revealed as having the first name Robin. Ugh, just cringe inducingly awful.

Thought they went overboard with the Stark Spidey Suit. Frankly, I thought there was borderline too much Stark in the movie in general. I hate the idea that Spider-Man has become the Robin to Stark's Batman... It was still very much his story but... Yeah, less Stark.

The movie gains something from being part of the MCU, but I'm not gonna lie, there were certain parts of it that almost felt lesser because of it. It was a quirky cog in a larger machine instead of an epic, iconic Spider-Man film.

Overall I still really liked it, but these things bugged me.

I agree it gains something, but it leaves a lot to be desired and improved upon I think for the future. I was very excited to have Spidey become part of the MCU. But I guess I just pictured it a bit differently then how they handled it. What I saw in my head as ideally an MCU Spidey film. Feel like it was a little step forward but didn't really go as far as I think it could've/should've.

It's funny, it's been 13 years and 4 Spidey films later and Spider-Man vs Doc Ock in SM-2 is still the gold standard. None of the movies since then have come close IMO.

Yeah I agree man, I feel like they missed out on doing some potentially very cool fight sequences with Spidey and Vulture. There's a lot of possibilities and creativity there, unfortunately we didn't get that really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"