Homecoming **SPOILERS*** What issues did you have with the film?

Completely ignoring Uncle Ben was a mistake IMO. Instead of dumb jokes at the restaurant scene, we could've had May say "I miss your uncle, Peter" - "I do too, May". But we get nothing. May doesn't seem like a widow of any kind. Even just one piece of dialogue like that would've given both characters a degree of emotional depth and motivation. That's what made the Maguire/Harris combination so great. We connected to them. TASM2 was criticised for downplaying Ben's importance, so to be fair, the same charge should be made at Homecoming.

Well said, such a simple thing they could've and I think should've done. Dropped the ball big time.

I agree. Also, not establishing his Spider-Sense at all and how it works in the MCU. Instead, the Russo Bros. are doing that. IMHO mistake. This is your movie to set all that up

Agreed, they dropped the ball here too.

Here is my spoiler filled review of...
Spider-man: Homecoming.
Off the top, I didn't love it and I also didn't hate it.
Let's start with the things I did like.
Tom Holland. A great choice of actor for Peter Parker/Spider-man.
His acting ability can stand toe to toe with any other actor who wore the red and blue tights. He has good comedic timing and can go deep to get the emotional pathos of a dramatic scene and make it seem effortless.
Michael Keaton. Always great to me and actually the person I liked the most in this film acting wise. Absolutely the right choice for this roll although I had my reservations and I had another actor in mind. Keaton wiped that idea away immediately once I saw him in the roll.
The Costume.....Although I still have some issues with the design,seeing it in action on the big screen had some of those issues dissipate because of all of the CGI help it got. It really did for the most part evoke the classic Romita Sr. look that I always wanted to see. Not perfect but pretty darn close.
Donald Golver was cool.
It was cool to see Tyne Daly.
Bokeem Woodbine was good but undeserved IMHO.
The Director also shot the movie well for the most part.
Now for the things I didn't dig.
The story.
This story was predictable and weak like I thought it would be.
First off...Call me old fashion but once you take away the most important mantra (which was later attributed to being the words of Uncle Ben) and being the motivating factor for the character,the most iconic in all of comicdom "WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY." That's one of the things that would make that version of the character ceases to be Spider-Man TO ME. There where some perfect times in this when MARVEL could have and SHOULD have used it but didn't. It to me this is the equivalent of rebooting the Green Lantern franchise and never hearing the GL oath. And we know what would happen if he doesn't say the oath.
Secondly what is Peter's/Spidey's motivations? I was discussing this with my wife and son's and a few friends via email and came to the conclusion that this version of Spider-man because the fact that MARVEL took away his mantra that was seared on his heart because of the tragic death of his beloved Uncle Ben and also feeling some guilt because he feels it was partially his fault. Peter would NEVER use his powers for selfish reasons again was all taken away. Why? Because now Pete doesn't have that motivation and now it's all about joining The Avengers AND trying to please the one Avenger who actually causes most of the problems in the MCU. He doesn't put on the suit just because it was the right thing to do anymore. He became selfish Peter AGAIN or he in this version always was and will be selfish like the Ferris Bueller character and spirit they so poorly are ripping off.. Sadly this Peter/Spidey can't think or do for himself either like he did from the comics AND cartoons. This version stripped away most of the reasons why we like the PERSON of Peter Parker in the first place.
WHY do we need Peter to have an annoying side kick that threatens to tell his secret more than once (AND ALMOST DID ONCE TO THE WHOLE SCHOOL) who is also selfish. If he would have fell in that elevator I would have been alright with it.
Back to the Spider-Man suit. What it can do is just too FREAKIN MUCH!!! It's like MARVEL Just vomited ever aspect of every video game of Spider-man
into that suit. WTH were they thinking? It was too much even when he had the training wheel protocols turned ON. Sigh.........
The rest of the cast.
So sickeningly predictable and weak.
Why did MARVEL feel the need to lie about Zendaya being 'MJ'?
Even they are backing off of it because it was some week BS.
Read for yourself.
Spider-Man: Homecoming producers Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal have dismissed suggestions that Zendaya’s character in the film is actually Mary Jane Watson. Zendaya’s quick-witted character in the hit reboot, Michelle, is referred to towards the end as “MJ”, leading fans to speculate that she could turn out to be the favorite However, Marvel boss Feige has insisted Michelle is her own character. He told IGN: “We never even looked at it as a big reveal necessarily, but more of just a fun homage to his past adventures and his past love. She’s not Mary Jane Watson. She never was Mary Jane Watson. She was always this new high school character, Michelle, who we know there’s an “M” in Michelle and an “M” in Mary.” He added: “So we’re so clever and we thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be neat if her initials were MJ?’ And then I think it leaked that she would be playing MJ and then it became a whole headache for Zendaya to have to navigate. It was never a big, ‘Oh my God, it’s a big reveal!’ There are big reveals in the movie. That’s not one of them.'” Sounds like a truck backing up. Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!............
The rest of the cast was just there for weak jokes and color.
The African student that does the same joke over and over about Flash being wrong...is it Funny because it's funny or are people laughing at the accent?
Hannibal Buress ....Disinterested black man falling asleep at his Job. Tony Revolori "Flash Thompson" DID NOT work for me period. And not because of his race.
Flash needs to be a physical presence of a bully because that is another one of the important hurdles for Peter to understanding
the full picture of "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility." then later learns to beat Flash with his mind and not his fist at his first impulse. This so called Flash Thompson doesn't look like Flash in any way shape or form or even pose any perceived threat to Peter so what was the point?
In Man of Steel they showed it better in the fact that young Clark wanted to fight back the physically imposing
bully yet knew better not to because he was obviously taught (to steal the phrase here) "With Great Power Come Great Responsibility." Had to go there. ;)
Flash not really a bully just a unfunny rich kid jerk. He actually would have been a better Harry Osborn then they later become best friends.
Hold on...That took a lot out of me to say that. ^ Not that I really would even wanted that either.
HATED the ham handed and immediately predictable tribute to 'Ferris bueller's day off.'
Having Iron-Man and the dumb Captain America vids in this movie rubbed me wrong on many levels.
Why would Cap doe these? He hated doing being a poster boy in the First Avenger? They were also uncomfortably not funny.
Why are they showing them to these kids? The Hannibal Buress character even made the point that he (Cap) is now a enemy of the State.
Tony Stark/Iron-Man and Peter just got back from a major fight against their "friends" and Tony's very best friend broke his back....
Why is Tony driving Peter back home and joking around about sexy Aunt May? TONY! YOUR BEST FRIEND GOT HIS BACK BROKE BECAUSE OF YOU!!!! The could have had the whole scene without Tony and it could have still played well with just Happy Hogan....OR...Have Tony in the Hospital with Rhodey talking though those glasses he was wearing. Have Tony show for once that he is not a complete insensitive jerk. These movies are making me like Iron-Man less and less each time. Speaking of Tony's insensitivity that goes to why I kinda understood the Vulture's motivation to hate Tony and his desire for family above all and ANYONE who threatens his family was dead meat. People like Tony can push hard working good intending persons only so far till they push back.
To me I just didn't over all like the message they were saying in this film if there really was any one main message. It got lost on me.
There is more I can go into but it's not worth the typing time.
I would buy the blu ray but I will be doing some serious fast forwarding.
If I had to give this a 1 to 10 number It would be a solid 5 for me.
But hey....what do I know?
howdoishotweb-568469f93df78ccc15d3af99.jpg

Peter didn't want to be an Avenger for selfish reasons, at least mostly. Ben's death changed him and then he wanted to do good in the world. And he thought that being an Avenger would be the best way to do that.

Yep, it was difficult to accept that such a terrific character was in the clutches of Sony, maybe permanently

The thing is, homecoming is a decent movie and I'd gladly watch it a third time if a friend wants to watch it with me. But I firmly believe we could still get something greater from Spider-man, and although this is just an assumption, I believe Watts' style has more personality than this film shows. It's the string of movies leading up to homecoming that make me dislike it more than it perhaps individually deserves. Specifically, I think Marvel really pussed out on Ant-man and Dr Strange. pardon my french

I was really excited for those movies. I thought "this is it, Marvel is starting to do something a little more experimental, and are probably giving more freedom to their hired directors and writers!". But they were so white bread formulaic that I'd rather not ever watch them again. Despite Homecoming not being the worst offender, it does continue some of the MCU trends that restrict these movies from reaching their full potential. So I think it is worth criticizing cause if people become too complacent, Marvel will never feel the need to break through their safety barriers to achieve true greatness. We could've gotten Edgar Wright's Ant-man... sigh

But if you truly feel that Homecoming doesn't have this issue, all the power to you
I definitely agree on Ant-Man and Dr. Strange. Marvel hardcore stuck it in autopilot for those two, and acted like the "mind-blowing" visuals in Strange would justify the otherwise complete lack of originality. But Homecoming struck me as much more unique and "risky", and that's made clear by some of the reactions we've seen. It is it's own little thing, with the heavy teen movie influences, but it comes off with heavy signs of the MCU standard because, unlike someone like Dr. Strange, Spider-man is a character who naturally gives off those "MCU vibes".

my only real issues are Zendaya's character and the 8 years later.

I know they are minor things in this movie. but in the scheme of things (which is why we're all here) they took me out of the experience.

On the other hand, when comparing this movie to other spider-man movies, I can't help but notice Peter's chemistry with Liz pales in comparison to Andrew/Emma. And that Peter seems to have plenty of good friends compared to Andrew and Tobey's versions of the character. He's very happy go lucky. In other words, the Amazing Spider-Man films being so dark, probably made this one overcompensate.

Either way, this is the best Spider-Man movie in my opinion. Those are my only gripes.

My only issue was the final confrontation between Spidey and Vulture was a little underwhleming.

I'm really glad he saved Toomes' life, but I kind of feel like Toomes' wings blowing up on their own was just a bit well.....well I feel like S, rapidey should have actually done something clever to take him down, rather than just lie there and let the wings explode.

One of the few things Spider Man 3 got right was how Spidey took out Venom - not only was it straight out of the source material, but it showed Spidey being resourceful, rather than just lucky.

But, other than that, I felt that HC was the best Spider -film so far.

I definitely agree on Ant-Man and Dr. Strange. Marvel hardcore stuck it in autopilot for those two, and acted like the "mind-blowing" visuals in Strange would justify the otherwise complete lack of originality. But Homecoming struck me as much more unique and "risky", and that's made clear by some of the reactions we've seen. It is it's own little thing, with the heavy teen movie influences, but it comes off with heavy signs of the MCU standard because, unlike someone like Dr. Strange, Spider-man is a character who naturally gives off those "MCU vibes".

I meant that the directing, cinematography and overall tone felt pretty stock, which is the case in most MCU movies. Raimi's direction had a punchiness to it, when I rewatch those scenes they're still impactful. The films do have issues, but that groove was always present. And even though this new Spiderman series aims to be less melodramatic, I don't think that's a good excuse for bland style

And in my eyes Ned was a lot like Kat Dennings' charcter in Thor, more of an unfunny joke than a character

Well said, such a simple thing they could've and I think should've done. Dropped the ball big time.

Agreed, they dropped the ball here too.

To be fair, they kind of did hint at Uncle Ben with two scenes. When Ned found out his secret and Pete is begging him to keep it quiet, Pete says "Come on, I can't do this to her. With EVERYTHING that has happened to her."

Or when May says "It's just me and you."

I think Peter is going to tell Tony or May what Ben said to him before he passed away. The whole "with great power comes great responsibility" will show up in Infinity War I am betting.

My only issue was the final confrontation between Spidey and Vulture was a little underwhleming.

I'm really glad he saved Toomes' life, but I kind of feel like Toomes' wings blowing up on their own was just a bit well.....well I feel like S, rapidey should have actually done something clever to take him down, rather than just lie there and let the wings explode.

One of the few things Spider Man 3 got right was how Spidey took out Venom - not only was it straight out of the source material, but it showed Spidey being resourceful, rather than just lucky.

But, other than that, I felt that HC was the best Spider -film so far.

You know...now that I think of it... Did Spidey win ANY of his fights? I mean he survives them, even had to be saved in one... but did he win ANY of them, at ALL?

You know...now that I think of it... Did Spidey win ANY of his fights? I mean he survives them, even had to be saved in one... but did he win ANY of them, at ALL?
He did stop Shocker, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"