Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

For those outside of the States that are unable to view the trailer.

Okay, I would never have guessed that was Spock with a beard. I have to see what he looks like when he's had a proper haircut and a shave.

Trailer looks promising though I did kind of roll my eyes that Michael had the same vision as Spock. I like her but I hope that the rest of the cast gets some good development this season.

Pike looks like he will be a fine captain, fun and efficient.
Didn't like the trailer music at all.
New 52 Spock ?

Looks amazing, the first session was up there with the best trek seasons for me

I'm liking it, and loving that Georgiou is back !!! Is anyone else getting a Babylon 5 flashback with those red angel aliens ???

Rebecca romijn looks great and i would watch it for her alone.
Series looks spectacular, a proper tv blockbuster. You can see every penny on screen.

Why is Rebecca Romijn's collar black? The original Cage tops had turtle necks so that the "collar" would've been yellow/ mustard. They also wouldn't have been a garment underneath but all one piece.

star-trek-discovery-number-one-rebecca-romijn-1137700.jpeg

I suppose they could've changed the style by the time it got to the Cage. Is this set years before the Cage?

I think it's 3 years after The Cage.

Generally, the various Trek series and movies have maintained an overall “story continuity” - give-or-take a few flubs. Everyone seems to agree, though, that “visual continuity” went out the window a long time ago. :cwink: Arguably, DISCO’s version of Enterprise gets props for depicting the classic gold/blue/red uniform scheme of TOS. But it’s probably too much to expect they’d resurrect the “velvety”/velour tunics from “The Cage” and “Where No Man Has Gone Before.”

Yeah, this show still does nothing for me, just more Kelvin-lite. Oh well. Here's hoping Picard's show will be more like classic Trek.

Yeah, this show still does nothing for me, just more Kelvin-lite. Oh well. Here's hoping Picard's show will be more like classic Trek.
Classic Trek? What is that exactly? Each series, film, and even various episodes within a series have differed from each other.

What's being defined as classical here?

I just meant something more focused on philosophical issues and character relationships instead of wham-bang action spectacle. I'm also just sick of prequels.

tanita_morsofst: 37049623 said:
I'm liking it, and loving that Georgiou is back !!! Is anyone else getting a Babylon 5 flashback with those red angel aliens ???

They do remind me of Vorlons.

Yeah, effing Vorlons. God, did their vague and shady asses irritate me. They did have the best lines on B5.

I always saw classic trek as thees character pieces and morality plays set in space. DS9 added some serialization and war/political/religious intrigue, but it was still same, slightly darker trek.
Discovery is heavy on the spectacle with some slight character work sprinkled through - like the rest of the Kelvin Timeline. It's not necessarily a bad thing, particularly if you are attracting young and new viewers.

These new aliens, red angels or whatever they're called, no doubt they'll merely be a single-season focus cause (lore wise) we never see or hear about them again, but I'm getting an Iconian vibe from them; maybe it's due to their appearance in STO.

I do wish to see some known aliens at some point though; Tholian? Breen? Tzenkethi? Maybe a Cardassian?

Star Trek: Short Treks - “Calypso”

I appreciate that these short standalones are, in fact, short. :toth

But so far, I’m finding that brevity is their main liability. And it almost seems that just a few extra minutes of screen time and one or two additional scenes would greatly improve the narrative and clarify certain obvious/nagging questions.

That said, this month’s “Calypso” was vastly better than last month’s “Runaway.” And the online reaction appears to be very positive.

where can we can view the short standalones?

Just like 6 weeks left until season 2. I'm debating whether to binge or not. Sunday nights gonna get busy with TWD returning in February along with this plus Game of Thrones season 8 this April.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"