Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

I kinda wish we got a Redshirt or maybe a few minor recurring characters to complement the cast.

We do have some, but they're never developed at all. There's that red haired woman with the cybernetic implant on her face that sits at the helm or navigation. We have no idea who she is other than that she was on the Shinzou.

They don't even explore the regular supporting cast members that much like Stamets, the doctor or the roommate.

It's all mostly about bland Burnham.

That's why I said it should've been more of an ensemble show. In other Star Trek series we would've learnt more about them by now.

We do have some, but they're never developed at all. There's that red haired woman with the cybernetic implant on her face that sits at the helm or navigation. We have no idea who she is other than that she was on the Shinzou.

Her name is Lt. Detmer (sp), and has been mentioned multiple times. Her first name is Kayla (though I obviously don't know if they spell it that way).

They don't even explore the regular supporting cast members that much like Stamets, the doctor or the roommate.

It's all mostly about bland Burnham.

That's why I said it should've been more of an ensemble show. In other Star Trek series we would've learnt more about them by now.

Just curious...why are you still watching this show? You seem to want it to be just like the other Trek shows but you also keep going on about how it's not.

In prior Treks, most of the main cast was part of the bridge crew. So it was easier to get to know those characters sooner. Even so, it wasn’t unusual to see an occasional “new face” sitting at (say) navigation (because Chekov was in the bathroom?) and we weren’t too concerned that we didn’t know his name. With DISCO, the (apparently) larger bridge seems to have a larger crew. And most of them are not part of the main cast. So not too surprising that their names are less familiar - though at least a couple (like robotic Airiam and bionic-eye Detmer) are visually distinctive.

That is true although I think DS9 which had an even larger cast did a better job with it's supporting cast. Though this is still only mid-season one so they have time to flesh out the others.

Her name is Lt. Detmer (sp), and has been mentioned multiple times. Her first name is Kayla (though I obviously don't know if they spell it that way).

Just curious...why are you still watching this show? You seem to want it to be just like the other Trek shows but you also keep going on about how it's not.

I've always watched all Star Trek shows since I was young. I'm hoping this will improve and that it will be more like the first season of TNG which didn't quite hit the mark yet but found its footing later on.

I'd be more accepting of the storylines and even style if the actors and characters in this show were more interesting. But they're not.

I've always watched all Star Trek shows since I was young. I'm hoping this will improve and that it will be more like the first season of TNG which didn't quite hit the mark yet but found its footing later on.

I'd be more accepting of the storylines and even style if the actors and characters in this show were more interesting. But they're not.

I personally find this show interesting.

Maybe your perception is *slightly* tinged by your "I wish this is more like the Trek I know and expect" glasses?

For reference, I also enjoy the heck out of The Orville as well, which is closer to the Trek that you're looking for.

this episode puts an exclamation point on why i love DSC :applaud:

and now [BLACKOUT]im getting anxiety issues for Tyler and Stamets :omg: is whats happening to Stamets the reason why the Federation never gets to use the spore drive in the rest of their fleet later on?

they better not kill him off in future seasons because :argh: [/BLACKOUT]

I hate saying this as a lifelong Trekkie, but I've lost all interest in this show. I stopped watching after episode 5 and haven't missed it. There's just nothing there for me. The characters are all uniformly bad, the writing is terrible, the visual style is ugly and all wrong, the music is grating, canon's all screwed to bad place...

Let me know when Meyer's episode is out, as I've been looking forward to that one for awhile. But until then, at least I have the Orville to scratch my sci-fi itch.

I'm guessing they
ended up in an alternate reality where Starfleet didn't didn't have the spore drive and because of that the Klingon's were able to win the war.

If they are in an alternate reality the potential is exciting. It would allow this show to take this war into all sorts of otherwise impossible directions because it wouldnt effect Prime canon. For example, I would love to see an alternate reality earth that's been completely conquered by Klingons. No Starfleet. No Federation. Humans conquered and enslaved. Earth decimated.

CBS splitting this season into two parts is so damn aggravating. But at least its a relatively short winter break.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they
ended up in an alternate reality where Starfleet didn't didn't have the spore drive and because of that the Klingon's were able to win the war.

If they are in an alternate reality the potential is exciting. It would allow this show to take this war into all sorts of otherwise impossible directions because it wouldnt effect Prime canon. For example, I would love to see an alternate reality earth that's been completely conquered by Klingons. No Starfleet. No Federation. Humans conquered and enslaved. Earth decimated.

CBS splitting this season into two parts is so damn aggravating. But at least its a relatively short winter break.

Hasn't it been said before that the Mirror universe will play a large part in this series?

Also, there are fan theories that the show is set in the Mirror universe anyway, with one of the hints being the evil-looking reflection of Stamets in the mirror earlier in the season.

I'm not sure I buy that, but it's interesting to hear.

It can't be the Mirror Universe because Starfleet never existed in it. That was the Terran Empire. Then again this is the series that does play fast and loose with the canon and might retroactively alter that part of history to fit its needs. Doubtful they would ignore canon that much (those Klingons though...:thf:) but this could be another universe that isn't the original Mirror but another reflection.

Is it only me or sometimes it looks as they cut something out?
Not in a "choppy" way, more like some events and dialogs seem hinging on character developments we haven't seen.
Is it production limits/errors? Or a deliberate artistic choice?
Maybe it is only me. :loco:

I have to say Discovery has moved into the top Star Trek shows. It is a lot of fun and the visuals are incredible. For instance, I love how Discovery looks like it literally drops out of warp. I also love Captain Lorca, and how they have fleshed out the Klingons. I stopped caring that they look different from the Klingons we are familiar with because the whole setup in this show is done so well. I love the ship designs, the language, the customs, their perspective of the Federation, etc.

I'm intrigued by their last jump into unknown space. I can't wait to find out where the rest of the season goes.

Season 2 is supposed to reconcile the canon issues we've seen in season 1.

Producer Aaron Harberts said:
We have ten years until the original series comes into play. It is a challenge creatively because we have lots of choices in terms of how do we reconcile this [Spore] Drive? This surrogate daughter of Sarek? How do we reconcile these things the closer we get to the original series? That’s going to be a big discussion that we have in season two.

They tried to reconcile the differences between the Klingons in TOS and TNG in Enterprise but now they've undone that with this series.

Well some are speculating that the Discovery is from another timeline or universe (not the mirror universe) and that last jump has taken them into the original trek-verse. That would explain the sister out of nowhere thing, the Klingons looking different, the different technology, etc.

If they did that I would applaud them. But I dont think that will be it.

The show is back with a bang. Only thing that could have made the episode better would have been an alternate intro sequence.
The second half of the season is gonna be a fun run.

The show is back with a bang. Only thing that could have made the episode better would have been an alternate intro sequence.
The second half of the season is gonna be a fun run.

Yeah it is rather odd. But I like how it's different at least.

Season 2 is promised to be more in the vein of traditional Star Trek. I guess we'll have to wait until sometime in 2019 to find out though.

what is the budget on this show? it seems HUGE

~US$8 million per episode. Expensive. But not as pricey as, say, Game of Thrones or The Crown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"