Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

Now I can see why both Captain Pike and Number One will not return for the third season after Pike saw his future.

I still believe from the start that Discovery should have set in the Kelvin timeline.

Now I can see why both Captain Pike and Number One will not return for the third season after Pike saw his future.

I still believe from the start that Discovery should have set in the Kelvin timeline.

How does that follow? Even if he saw his future, that event won't happen for another 10 years.

There are some rumours of a Captain Pike spin-off with Number One and Spock aboard the Enterprise, but nothing concrete like the Picard show or even the proposed Section 31 show with Michelle Yeoh. But the Section 31 show isn't even concrete either but was announced to attract more people to sign up to CBS All-Access even though they have nothing there.

I want a Captain Pike spinoff too, but still he and Number One won't be returning for the third season regardless and the only way to lead into that future is a spinoff.

Now I can see why both Captain Pike and Number One will not return for the third season after Pike saw his future
I want a Captain Pike spinoff too, but still he and Number One won't be returning for the third season regardless and the only way to lead into that future is a spinoff.
Is Number One even worth mentioning? I mean, really? She's barely been in it. :p

In my opinion, the Kelvin timeline should be left alone (although in truth, I love the look of the Kelvin Klingons). Discovery should have simply been a reboot of it's own. No link to any existing timeline.

There are some rumours of a Captain Pike spin-off with Number One and Spock aboard the Enterprise, but nothing concrete like the Picard show or even the proposed Section 31 show with Michelle Yeoh. But the Section 31 show isn't even concrete either but was announced to attract more people to sign up to CBS All-Access even though they have nothing there.
I'll believe that when I see it. I can't honestly see them doing another TOS-style show with the TOS Enterprise at the forefront to be honest. There's a chance they'll do a spinoff, and one where we may see Pike again, but I very much doubt we'll see a show with Pike and the Enterprise at the forefront.

Judging by what's happening with S31 here too, it seems as though this is where they're going to bury the organisation; many of their agents have been ejected into space, and they've practically lost their fleet to the AI. I'm not quite seeing a S31 show get launched.

There’s a complicated “joint custody” arrangement regarding Star Trek. As it currently stands, CBS owns ST on TV; Paramount owns the ST theatrical movies. So to the extent that the Kelvin timeline is a movie IP (copyrighted by Paramount), CBS may not have been allowed to use it.

Is Number One even worth mentioning? I mean, really? She's barely been in it. :p

In my opinion, the Kelvin timeline should be left alone (although in truth, I love the look of the Kelvin Klingons). Discovery should have simply been a reboot of it's own. No link to any existing timeline.

I'll believe that when I see it. I can't honestly see them doing another TOS-style show with the TOS Enterprise at the forefront to be honest. There's a chance they'll do a spinoff, and one where we may see Pike again, but I very much doubt we'll see a show with Pike and the Enterprise at the forefront.

Judging by what's happening with S31 here too, it seems as though this is where they're going to bury the organisation; many of their agents have been ejected into space, and they've practically lost their fleet to the AI. I'm not quite seeing a S31 show get launched.

If Discovery splits off into another timeline at the end of this season, maybe it will be the Burnham timeline. That universe can be named after her, since she'll be the centre of it. :o

She should also be captain next season, because everyone defers to her anyway. Pike has been doing that all season and we saw him do that several times this episode. She reminded us she wasn't even "suggesting" but "asserting". And she was the one who said they should blow up Discovery, and Pike followed orders. If they got a different captain next season, he or she would just be following Burnham anyway.

She should also be captain next season, because everyone defers to her anyway. Pike has been doing that all season and we saw him do that several times this episode. She reminded us she wasn't even "suggesting" but "asserting". And she was the one who said they should blow up Discovery, and Pike followed orders. If they got a different captain next season, he or she would just be following Burnham anyway.
To be fair, Pike has taken advice from other characters on the show in a similar manner to Burnham. Both Stammets and Saru have ‘barked orders’ that have been carried out without question.

We’ve got to remember, but Pike has a lot of faith in Spock, who is the brother of Burnham, who’ll be on record as having a competent track record, minus her part in the Binary Stars.

She’s right in that Discovery needs to go boom. Pike wouldn’t realised that, so why argue the point if the logic is sound?

Season 3 will likely introduce another new captain, and it’s a theme I’d like for them to continue each year. New Season. New Captain. Would be a nice change if S3’s Captain wasn’t human, but we’ll see.

Seeing Pike's fate was hard. Anson Mount has made him so damn likeable. I knew that's what was destined to happen to him but it's so sad. Seems like a fate worse than death.

Although I could care less about anything Klingon related, I liked the episode and loved everything with Pike. This man needs his own show! I want an Enterprise set Pike series so bad. Bring along Spock and Number One and I'm sold.

Anyone else think they'll actually blow up the ship? Most other Trek series/movies have done it, next season could be the Discovery A, plus this could explain the lack of spore drive technology later on. After the first Discovery goes boom, Starfleet decides to not more forward with the drive.

Anson Mount is pretty great Captain Pike and I agree that he definitely deserves his own show. I just find him very endearing for some reason and seeing his fate like that was rough.

Nitpick. Airam ( spelling ?) had an almost full body prosthesis but Pike will be given a sarcophagus chair.

Anson Mount is pretty great Captain Pike and I agree that he definitely deserves his own show. I just find him very endearing for some reason and seeing his fate like that was rough.

Totally off topic, but last Thursday when I went to see Shazam, they played a trailer for Gozilla before the film and I saw the scene from your avatar. I literally said, oh that's where the avatar is from and my friend was like what are you talking about? Lol.

Nitpick. Airam ( spelling ?) had an almost full body prosthesis but Pike will be given a sarcophagus chair.

Technology in 10 years time is not advanced as it is at the time of Ariam. :o

After Control's rebellion, there might be severe legal restrictions and social pressure against cybernetic augmentation, similar to the laws against genetic engineering following the Eugenics Wars.

Also, Pike is someone who saw how Control destroyed Airiam; he might not be willing to take a chance on that for himself. Of course, his later life with the Talosians requires a similar vulnerability, but Pike at least knows that he can block the Talosians' mental powers by being angry.

Although I could care less about anything Klingon related, I liked the episode and loved everything with Pike. This man needs his own show! I want an Enterprise set Pike series so bad. Bring along Spock and Number One and I'm sold.

Anyone else think they'll actually blow up the ship? Most other Trek series/movies have done it, next season could be the Discovery A, plus this could explain the lack of spore drive technology later on. After the first Discovery goes boom, Starfleet decides to not more forward with the drive.

I think they'll go a different route with the spore drive and why it doesn't exist in the future. Perhaps something happens to the spore planet? Or something cataphoric happens to someone or multiple people to ban the tech? I've been thinking to myself how the writers intend to explain the lack of spore drive in the future since I started watching Discovery.

Also, I feel it's incredibly unfair that this show has received the criticism it's receiving, especially those on Youtube. It's almost troll level type of stuff.

Speaking of which, a lot of negative things have been said about the potential
borg
origin. Which is entirely unfair, first of all
there has never been a definitive Borg origin mentioned throughout any of the series' before this. There have inconsistent mentions of how long the Borg have been around (in both TNG and VOY) stating it's been hundreds or thousands of years.. but to me that makes absolutely no sense. If the Borg had been around for so long and they were prominent in the Delta quadrant.. which is almost 80 years away from Earth, why was Earth not assimulated long ago? When we had no starships or defenses. That's awfully convenient. And to me, I interpret this "history" of the Borg as nothing more but folktales, urban legends, or speculation to individual races that have heard about the Borg or encountered them.. NOT definitive history or origin.

So with that being said, and knowing Discovery takes places about 80-90 years before TNG, it makes sense that it's origins are explored now. Perhaps this Borg storyline ends with them being sent away somehow to the Delta quadrant.. a quadrant that is 70-80 years away from the Alpha quadrant.. which lines up with why we see them in TNG when we do.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

Those are my two cents on that topic.. I would love to hear what others think. But again, I think people are being far too harsh to this series.

(Discussion up to and including Discovery 2x12 "Through the Valley of Shadows".)

By this time in-universe, Earth has had Borg technology for many decades: the remains of the sphere from First Contact, discovered during Enterprise. With the line (from "Perpetual Infinity"?) about how many technological innovations come from cheating causality, and with Section 31's "by any means necessary" attitude in mind, I think it's likely that Section 31 adapted the salvaged Borg tech for its own use. That'd make Control a Species 5618-derived offshoot of the Borg, rather than the origin of the Collective.

Since when was this AI connected to the Borg? I feel like I'm missing some details somewhere, unless it's mere speculation? The Borg are/were all about assimilation, nor eradication; the AI in the future wipes life out, it doesn't assimilate it, so I fail to see why said AI is being thought of as the Borg?

The Borg, in turn, are as inconsistent as any other species in Trek. It was specifically stated at one point that the Borg wouldn't attack unless threatened, and then later they actively engage in planetary assimilation (when otherwise unprovoked). It was VOY (and First Contact) that introduced the idea of the Borg Queen, something that hadn't even been thought of before.

I'm not seeing control evolve into the Borg. If anything, control would eradicate the Borg just as it's going to do to all other life in the universe; unless the Borg have suddenly gone complete cybernetic. Control doesn't rely on biologics, the Borg do (though it's uncertain if that's by choice, or design).

LOVED this episode.
I did too. One of their best, IMO. Some are calling this a “filler” episode - as if it was a side story or skip-able. But quite obviously, it was an episode devoted to character moments and character exploration as a prelude to the big finale; and to me, that ain’t “filler.”

Had no idea who Queen Po was. Only know now because of Afterbuzz's Discovery show, lol.

I did too. One of their best, IMO. Some are calling this a “filler” episode - as if it was a side story or skip-able. But quite obviously, it was an episode devoted to character moments and character exploration as a prelude to the big finale; and to me, that ain’t “filler.”
I agree completely, this was a great episode.

You gotta love Georgiu:

- Orange? Really? Ugh..

That, quite simply, was an awesome episode.

I have one simple concern (or more I guess, query); it was specifically stated upon returning from the mirror universe that the spore drive has the capacity to navigate not only the multiverse, but also time itself, so why can’t Stammets just pilot the ship to the future?

What is also stopping ‘control’ from entering a stasis (of sorts) until it redetects Discovery in the future where it can reignite it’s mission. If, in the future control never captures Discovery, then does the apocalyptic future Burnham is about to travel too exist?

And... Will Season 3 be set in the future? That’ll be intriguing; Season 3 set in the future where they must fine any life, and any civilisations and to boldly go everywhere they’ve probably already been before.

The Enterprise bridge was sublime.

This show has just grown and grown on me. Anson Mount’s Pike has been a huge part of that.

I have zero interest in a Sec 31 show... but an Enterprise show with Pike and Spock would be fantastic.

For me, Star Trek feels more interesting, original and vibrant than Star Wars these days. Quite amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"