Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

I'm going with the theory that Admirals can wear what they damn well please, and she simply prefers the blue. :p Per my previous post, Admiral Ross (DS9) wore old style uniforms whilst Sisko wore new.

Do we have a USS Archer? USS Kirk? USS Spock? USS Pike? Do we have an Archer Class, Kirk Class, Spock Class, Pike Class?

In short, no we don't (although I may recall a USS Archer being mentioned at some point in ST: Nemesis). There may well be a USS Burnham, but we've just not encountered it yet; the galaxy is a big place, and the ships of the Federation get about quite a bit.

Alternately, maybe she just isn't that big a hero? Or maybe the events unfolding here simply aren't made public? I doubt Starfleet is going to want to throw S31's business around like public knowledge, and they're not going to want the rest of the galaxy to know that they (humanity) was primarily responsible for nearly wiping out all sentient life.

I think there is a ship or something named after Pike. I seem to recall it in one of the later shows. Might not be a starship as such but I seem to recall something bearing his name.

Signed! You never know what could work. I have to imagine that they'd already be planning something since they've went to the trouble of recreating the set and already hired actors to play Spock/Pike/Number One.

Signed! You never know what could work. I have to imagine that they'd already be planning something since they've went to the trouble of recreating the set and already hired actors to play Spock/Pike/Number One.

If they did do a Pike spin-off (which would be more interesting than a Michelle Yeoh Section 31 show), I want to see some of the other characters that were in the Cage like

Dr Phillip Boyce

th

and Yeoman Colt.

0542cfc3d2763cd9a5f512bdff9de40d.jpg

But I don't know how Yeoman Colt will fit in. There don't seem to be any position of Yeomans in Discovery at all, but these clearly existed in both the Cage and in the original series of Star Trek.

They can't simply ignore that they existed, because there were people like Janice Rand, and then other Yeomans who went on away missions.

Also, at this point they can get away with not having the mini skirt, because Number One and the Yeoman wore long pants in the Cage, but at some point they do wear them. Even in the JJ Abrams Star Trek films the women have mini skirts.

He is... dare I say it... my favourite Trek Captain behind Picard.

Anson was superb in this, stoic and valiant and calm - epitomises all that a Federation Starship Captain should be really. Facing his own future and still choosing to follow that path despite knowing the pain which would be ahead of him really marked him out as someone with tremendous courage.

The big question (I suppose) is, if we got a Pike series, would it be set pre Discovery, or post Discovery? Pretty sure we all know how it would end, unless it's just titled Star Trek Enterprise (could they do that seeing as we already have Archer and the NX-01?) and then have (a new) Kirk take over at some point? Not quite sure I want a rehash of TOS mind you.

I'd rather they go with something both unique, iconic, and relative.

Star Trek: Five Year Mission
Star Trek: New Voyages
Star Trek: The Search for Spock (especially if he does indeed go to the future with Michael) :p

Are they going to introduce 60s fashions (the mini skirts and beehive hairdos) eventually?

And what about the Yeomans? Are they going to address their absence?

If Discovery goes to the future though, I'm guessing they won't address any of these, because they won't even be set in the 23rd century anymore. But then Discovery doesn't even seem to have Yeomans on their ship.

But let's say Discovery did stay in the 23rd century. Would they eventually transition to the 60s fashions and primary colour uniforms or would they keep their blue uniforms for the entire run?

At this point I'm fine with it never looking like TOS. I mean let's be honest, TOS is legend, but it's dated and doing a show now that looked like TOS would be laughable and open to all kind of mockery. Appreciate it for what it was, but accept that we can't make something that looks like that in this day, I mean even TNG looks dated to me somewhat. It's funny though that DS9/VOY/Enterprise dont look so bad, mostly for the fact that their uniforms were more military style and not overly colorful.

At this point I'm fine with it never looking like TOS. I mean let's be honest, TOS is legend, but it's dated and doing a show now that looked like TOS would be laughable and open to all kind of mockery. Appreciate it for what it was, but accept that we can't make something that looks like that in this day, I mean even TNG looks dated to me somewhat. It's funny though that DS9/VOY/Enterprise dont look so bad, mostly for the fact that their uniforms were more military style and not overly colorful.

So by that reasoning, do you think the JJ Abrams movies look dated, since they obviously do use the bright primary colours and the mini skirts for the women? And what about the Enterprise uniforms on Discovery?

Honestly yes I felt like the JJ Abrams films custumes did look too colorful for my taste, but I think it was trying to reimagine the series and draw people in that way. I liked their version of Uhura, but let's be real, there's no reason why a woman in a military position should be wearing a mini skirt as her uniform. I'm honestly surprised they didn't recieve more complaints about that.
I don't mind the uniforms on Discovery, but at the same time I think it's odd that they're using those and the more military type uniforms that the Disco crew wear.
My favorite uniforms in all of Trek are the DS9/Voy ones because they were the perfect mix of uniform and casual and didn't overly sexualize the characters, male or female. Of course then Seven of Nine came about and threw that theory to hell, lol. I loved Seven, but her catsuit was so ridiculous and while yes it appealed to teenage me for obvious reasons, when I rewatch it I'm just baffled that a show about such strong females sunk to that level to pull in viewers. I loved Enterprise, but thought T'Pol's outfit was not much better and strange to see a Vulcan sexualized in that way. Enterprise as a whole was pretty 50/50 though on their cast showing skin sometimes so maybe that was the balance. I dont know.
I think Trek can be a smart show and doesn't really need to rely on sex to tell a story. I'm glad that Discovery has not been sinking to that level for the most part.

Honestly yes I felt like the JJ Abrams films custumes did look too colorful for my taste, but I think it was trying to reimagine the series and draw people in that way. I liked their version of Uhura, but let's be real, there's no reason why a woman in a military position should be wearing a mini skirt as her uniform. I'm honestly surprised they didn't recieve more complaints about that.
I don't mind the uniforms on Discovery, but at the same time I think it's odd that they're using those and the more military type uniforms that the Disco crew wear.
My favorite uniforms in all of Trek are the DS9/Voy ones because they were the perfect mix of uniform and casual and didn't overly sexualize the characters, male or female. Of course then Seven of Nine came about and threw that theory to hell, lol. I loved Seven, but her catsuit was so ridiculous and while yes it appealed to teenage me for obvious reasons, when I rewatch it I'm just baffled that a show about such strong females sunk to that level to pull in viewers. I loved Enterprise, but thought T'Pol's outfit was not much better and strange to see a Vulcan sexualized in that way. Enterprise as a whole was pretty 50/50 though on their cast showing skin sometimes so maybe that was the balance. I dont know.
I think Trek can be a smart show and doesn't really need to rely on sex to tell a story. I'm glad that Discovery has not been sinking to that level for the most part.

Do you prefer Bryan Singer's all black leather X-Men costumes to the more colourful outfits then? Or what about all the Avengers who have colourful costumes? Do you prefer them to be darker?

In JAG, the women (both in the navy and military) had some uniforms that had skirts. They didn't wear trousers all the time. Starfleet is a fictional organisation. They can bring in whatever fashions they want to and don't have to go simply by what people wear in real life in military organisations.

Should a Pike series happen, I would like to see them do the following:

-How Christopher Pike succeeded Robert April as the Enterprise's new captain.
-How Spock graduated from Starfleet Academy and assigned to the Enterprise.
-What happened on Rigel 7.
-Adapt several Star Trek novels, Where Sky Meets Sea and Vulcan's Glory.
-Adapt the comics storylines from Early Voyages
-Spock and Leila Kalomi

Last edited:
Should a Pike series happen, I would like to see them do the following:

-How Christopher Pike succeeded Robert April as the Enterprise's new captain.
-How Spock graduated from Starfleet Academy and assigned to the Enterprise.
-What happened on Riger 7.
-Adapt several Star Trek novels, Where Sky Meets Sea and Vulcan's Glory.
-Adapt the comics storylines from Early Voyages
-Spock and Leila Kalomi

You mean Rigel not Riger.

Would like to see Captain April finally.

WOW! I'm speechless. That was incredible!

I dont believe that future that the crystal showed Pike. For one thing the Federation has the tech to heal and repair pretty much any injury short of death or some diseases. Hell, Airiam had her entire body replaced after a severe injury. But they cant repair a burned face? BS. Another thing, is the future that Pike saw showed Pike's scarred face appearing to melt like wax and old Pike screams. It seemed more like a fever dream/Nightmare. Not anything literal. I think the crystal either exaggerated or it's some sort of vision the crystal cooked up from Pike's own fears.

I dont believe that future that the crystal showed Pike. For one thing the Federation has the tech to heal and repair pretty much any injury short of death or some diseases. Hell, Airiam had her entire body replaced after a severe injury. But they cant repair a burned face? BS. Another thing, is the future that Pike saw showed Pike's scarred face appearing to melt like wax and old Pike screams. It seemed more like a fever dream/Nightmare. Not anything literal. I think the crystal either exaggerated or it's some sort of vision the crystal cooked up from Pike's own fears.
But it has to happen. It did happen (in TOS) thus it has to happen from here. Discovery is in sync with the classic timeline of ENT, TOS, TNG, DS9 & VOY. Those events need to happen for it to remain consistent, else DSC suddenly isn't in the prime timeline. The whole point of this show (at least initially) was for it to exist within the prime timeline, else they'd have just gone with a fresh reboot from the opening episode, which they didn't.

What the crystals showed Pike may not happen the way it was implied, but Pike ultimately needs to have that accident, become disfigured, and end up in that wheelchair for the timeline to remain true.

But it has to happen. It did happen (in TOS) thus it has to happen from here. Discovery is in sync with the classic timeline of ENT, TOS, TNG, DS9 & VOY. Those events need to happen for it to remain consistent, else DSC suddenly isn't in the prime timeline. The whole point of this show (at least initially) was for it to exist within the prime timeline, else they'd have just gone with a fresh reboot from the opening episode, which they didn't.

What the crystals showed Pike may not happen the way it was implied, but Pike ultimately needs to have that accident, become disfigured, and end up in that wheelchair for the timeline to remain true.

It's fine to have him injured, but they've cranked it up to a 100 to the point of absurdity. They should have went the other direction and toned it down and came up with a credible reason why Federation medical tech is suddenly no better than 21st century plastic surgery.

As for the timeline, at the moment I think this shows going to end with Michael's mom going back in time and raising Michael. Spock's parents wont adopt her, and he and Michael will never know each other. And that will be the Prime timeline of the older shows and films. Either that or somehow Michael will be erased from the timeline entirely due to some paradox and perhaps self sacrifice causing no one to remember her.

Loved the last episode... even if it did still suffer from some of the logic gaps that the show has dealt with its entire run.

I thought all the way back at the start of the show that Discovery would end up
in the future.

I just hope it’s
not 1000 years
, and they actually end up
in the 24th century, and it ties up with Picard.

Again, loved this episode. Not as much as Part 1, but this was a terrific end for an overall stronger season.

Interesting how the pieces are being moved around the board now--

-- With the Discovey and a time-suited Burnham travelling to the future in one of the biggest, most unique self-sacrifice plays we've seen in Trek, along with the Enterprise C's, I suppose.

Dug that this act and Spock is basically what creates the Federations treatment of time travel that we see in other Trek shows (even if it tends to be broken without consequence a lot anyway).It's a tragic yet positive end to their relationships, yet sets up a very interesting premise for season three, while handily paving over continuity issues.

New Kurtzman interview in which he talks about what Season 3 will entail:

How the 'Star Trek: Discovery' Finale Pulled Off the Franchise's Boldest Leap Yet

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"