Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

Now that I've time to collect my thoughts and rewatched it twice, I feel like I can say that this is honestly one of the best hours of Trek ever IMO. I just think they knocked it out of the park on every level. The CGI was on par with any of the movies I thought. It just looked amazing!

I also loved how this lines up with the current continuity and answered the question of why nobody mentions Discovery or the crew. I think people may find this lazy, but I liked it and think it's totally something that Spock would literally never speak of again, he understands how delicate the balance is.

Anyone else feel like this was designed as a possible series finale? It wrapped everything up in a nice bow and provided hope that the crew was alive and well. I cannot wait to see how next season plays out, a soft reboot much like this year was.

I know it's a lot to hope for, but a 4K release of this season would look amazing!

And now for my last recap of the season.

Great final episode.
That was a nice space battle, I liked very much the Klingon's mother ship ramming into the enemies.
And the final reveal about Spoke having a razor all this time, wow :)
I also would not mind a Cap Pike show, this new Enterprise is good design.

Okay, so quite simply I loved that final, though I did wonder when Layland was defeated and the S31 ships switched off, what purpose there was for Michael and Diacovery to go into the future. Surely the threat had been averted?

Needless to say, Discovery is now 950 years in the future; a dated ship in an era it’s not supposed to be in, and in a timeline that ... well, does it even exist anymore? If control was defeated, then there was no mass extinction event, right? This Discovery is just heading into a largely populated galaxy where the Federation (should) still exist. Surely they’re going to get a new ship? I’m not convinced you can retrofit something that’s 950 years old.

Season 3 will be a blast in any case, cause they’re obviously going to have everything we now know behind them; the Borg, Dominion, Voyager - it’ll all now be in their past. One should probably ponder why ‘the temporal police’ aren’t involved and don’t send them back to where they belong either, but I’m sure that’ll get covered.

One thing this does mean though; no more L’Rell, no more Tyler, no more Enterprise and no more Spock (damn he looked weird without the beard).

I hope they stick to having Discovery stuck in the future, season 3 should be interesting, will Starfleet even exist anymore that far in the future? They're also going to go from having one of the most advanced ships of their time to having a ship that's outdated in every way, I expect a lot of changes will get made to the ship itself next season to update it.

And I'm gonna need a Pike show after that ending, was half expecting Pike to deliver the iconic intro monologue for the last shot, that would've been great.

I hope they stick to having Discovery stuck in the future, season 3 should be interesting, will Starfleet even exist anymore that far in the future? They're also going to go from having one of the most advanced ships of their time to having a ship that's outdated in every way, I expect a lot of changes will get made to the ship itself next season to update it.
I think they'll have too, because there's a reason we've never heard about them (and the spore drive, or even what went down) since. If they suddenly return to the present, then that concept goes out of the window. The show will remain in the future now, whatever that means.

If control is defeated though, then they can't have travelled to a future which was desolate, and the ship (being as outdated as it'll be) should be scrapped. By comparison, you'd not retrofit a sailing ship of the 19th century with a nuclear arsenal or the 20th or 21st century, and that's only 100-200 years. There's a 950yr gap between the tech of Discovery, and the tech of the future, not to mention (if there is a Federation - which I hope there is), a lot of internal aspects of the Federation will have changed in almost a millennia, so shouldn't the entire Discovery crew be sent back to the Academy?

I kinda' wish they'd just jumped to the 24th century or something, tie up with the Picard series and go from there, rather than establishing themselves THAT FAR in the future.

That was a damn good Season Finale IMO. I'm sad to see that this show is over so soon, but holy crap am I already loving the setup for Season 3. It's going to be really interesting to see what they come up with now that we are in pretty much uncharted territory. I still wish we got a Captain Pike and Spock spin-off show in the meantime, but I guess you can't have everything. Anyways, this was a really enjoyable season overall.

It's a big leap into the future they did. Nearly a millennia is a long, long, long time. By that point I'm assuming whatever version of Starfleet exists will be expecting them. They've had 900+ years to declassify it.

It's a big leap into the future they did. Nearly a millennia is a long, long, long time. By that point I'm assuming whatever version of Starfleet exists will be expecting them. They've had 900+ years to declassify it.
And their tech by this point probably even makes the spore drive look old fashioned.

It should be very interesting where they end up. What will Starfleet look like nearly 1000 years in the future? Does it even exist?

It should be very interesting where they end up. What will Starfleet look like nearly 1000 years in the future? Does it even exist?

I think there will be no more Starfleet or Federation, Disco will have find out why and how.

When was the Enterprise-J? 26th Century? Temporal Agent Daniels was from the 31st Century, though I’m not sure if the Federation existed in his time.

If it does though, it wouldn’t surprise me if warp drive was obsolete and they had means of jumping across galaxies, rather than light years. I fear the writing team may have become a little TOO ambitions with this leap.

I kinda blanked out on bits of the finale. what exactly happened? where are they going with season 3?

Yeah, I totally forget that ( Agent Daniels etc )....I think the Temporal Patrol stuff from Enterprise ( the show ) will be or should be omitted in Discovery, it needlessly complicate the stories if you have to factor in a time agency that watch over the time line.

Yeah, I totally forget that ( Agent Daniels etc )....I think the Temporal Patrol stuff from Enterprise ( the show ) will be or should be omitted in Discovery, it needlessly complicate the stories if you have to factor in a time agency that watch over the time line.
Well they’ve already done it where convenient. Said time agency didn’t intervene when Spock Sr took that Jellyfish ship into the past alongside Nero. They didn’t intervene when Picard took the Enterprise-E back to the 21st Century.

Heck, even the USS Aeon and USS Relativity haven’t been seen since ST:VOY. Have all these agencies suddenly decided they couldn’t care less for the timeline?

One would also think that 950 years in the future there’s means of navigating the time stream like a warp drive, so what’s stopping anyone sending the Discovery crew back to their original time but without the ship?

So many possibilities, but I also fear so many plot holes too.

Minor nitpick, but is anyone else ... disappointed that the new Klingon flagship is simply named ‘D7’? I mean, it’s not even a Klingon designation.

I know the TOS show describes it as a D7 Battlecruiser or whatever, but that could simply be ‘our’ designation, just as the Klingons (may) refer to the Constitution as a C5 Cruiser. I think icing on the cake would’ve been nice to have the new flagship named.

Minor nitpick, but is anyone else ... disappointed that the new Klingon flagship is simply named ‘D7’? I mean, it’s not even a Klingon designation.

I know the TOS show describes it as a D7 Battlecruiser or whatever, but that could simply be ‘our’ designation, just as the Klingons (may) refer to the Constitution as a C5 Cruiser. I think icing on the cake would’ve been nice to have the new flagship named.

I haven't been a fan of the Klingon ships at all. They look more like Romulan ships than anything.

Well, I may be in the minority here. I found the episode to be very lackluster and devoid of much character. Where there was any, it was in a completely inappropriate part of the episode.

• Like with Burnham and Spock in space and she has to go back in time before she can go forward. She spends what seems an eternity telling Spock to reach out and connect with others... I am all for character moments, but they have to be in context for what is happening in the scene.
    The writers have been getting this wrong for most of the season. Yeah, I know this is drama, but still...
  • As for Discovery and Enterprise pretty much standing still for most of the battle? Don't even get me started.
  • Georgiou reports that she has killed Leland before they go into the black hole. So, why the hell do they still do it?
  • I get why everyone agrees to keep things quiet at the end while debriefing. But why the heck does Spock actually have to deny Burnham even exists?
  • But probably my biggest peeve? Spock enters the bridge with the most bizarre sideburns ever seen in the history of history. Seriously? It's not like the makeup staff have no clue as to how Spock's sideburns should be...

Rant over.

If you enjoyed it, good for you. I'm not here to change your mind. But I found this finale extremely poorly written and executed. I feel I could do better and that's saying something...
Actually my dog could write a better finale and I do not own a dog!

There were a few things which I did enjoy, but these are far outweighed by the negative.

Well, I may be in the minority here. I found the episode to be very lackluster and devoid of much character. Where there was any, it was in a completely inappropriate part of the episode.

• Like with Burnham and Spock in space and she has to go back in time before she can go forward. She spends what seems an eternity telling Spock to reach out and connect with others... I am all for character moments, but they have to be in context for what is happening in the scene.
    The writers have been getting this wrong for most of the season. Yeah, I know this is drama, but still...
  • As for Discovery and Enterprise pretty much standing still for most of the battle? Don't even get me started.
  • Georgiou reports that she has killed Leland before they go into the black hole. So, why the hell do they still do it?
  • I get why everyone agrees to keep things quiet at the end while debriefing. But why the heck does Spock actually have to deny Burnham even exists?
  • But probably my biggest peeve? Spock enters the bridge with the most bizarre sideburns ever seen in the history of history. Seriously? It's not like the makeup staff have no clue as to how Spock's sideburns should be...

Rant over.

If you enjoyed it, good for you. I'm not here to change your mind. But I found this finale extremely poorly written and executed. I feel I could do better and that's saying something...
Actually my dog could write a better finale and I do not own a dog!

There were a few things which I did enjoy, but these are far outweighed by the negative.

Completely agree about the finale. I also found a lot of the action nowhere as clear to see as the huge battle in the two-part Orville episode.

And it didn't make sense that they should still go to the future if Georgiou had defeated Control. They could easily have just lured him into the spore drive before and then magnetised it, if that's all it took to stop him. At least if she did beat him, she shouldn't have told the Discovery crew until it was too late and they had already leapt into the future. That way they wouldn't know and they might even think their trip forward was for nothing.

Of course, why did they need to go to the future anyway? Couldn't someone have beamed on board Discovery with a bomb to blow it up that way? Maybe attach it to the warp core? That way it wouldn't be connected to the auto destruct sequence or the sphere data and it wouldn't be able to protect itself that way. If they needed someone to even make sure the bomb went off, someone could've volunteered to stay on board for what would effectively be a suicide mission.

And how is it that Spock's hair looks so bad when cut to the classic cut? It's 50 years later from the original, and yet Leonard Nimoy's Spock hair looks still far more natural and realistic than what Ethan Peck had on his head. Peck's Spock hair looked clearly like a wig and as if he were cosplaying Spock. The same with Zachary Quinto in Star Trek Beyond. His Spock hair looked like a wig as well and as if it wasn't on quite straight. How can they not manage to get it right now in this day and age?

Seems that 950 years is a bit much. They could've just made it that they went to the 25th or 26th century. That way they won't have to worry about trying to make the tech so advanced and possibly not living up to it.

And why haven't they thought up a name for Number One? Why does she give that as her name?

I haven't been a fan of the Klingon ships at all. They look more like Romulan ships than anything.
Are you on about the newer DSC ones, or the D7, Vor'cha, B'rel etc? The D7 was seen on TOS before the Romulan Bird of Prey ever was.

Of course, why did they need to go to the future anyway? Couldn't someone have beamed on board Discovery with a bomb to blow it up that way? Maybe attach it to the warp core? That way it wouldn't be connected to the auto destruct sequence or the sphere data and it wouldn't be able to protect itself that way. If they needed someone to even make sure the bomb went off, someone could've volunteered to stay on board for what would effectively be a suicide mission.
Knowing how much the ship was integrated with that AI, and how much it wanted to protect itself, it's unlikely to have allowed anyone to attach a bomb to the warp core; it would have probably detected it and raised a warp core shield. As for beaming a bomb onboard, you can't use transporters if the shields are up.

And why haven't they thought up a name for Number One? Why does she give that as her name?
Well they did introduce a female lead with a (prominent) male name; Michael. Maybe Number One is actually her real name? At least as pronounced. Knumber Quan or something? Similar to how some Asian people (or the odd Goa'uld) may be named Yu? ;)

I think Pike called Number One “Una”
Which, I have read somewhere, is the name given to her character in one or maybe more, Star Trek novels...

I loved the final episode. Felt like a movie and tied up a lot of questions ie. why Spock never mentioned Michael.

However, like other people... I'm curious as to why they had to go to the future if Control was neutralised? If I were Georgiou, I'd have been telling them to take a sharp turn to the left before entering the wormhole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"